My Dream wedding crushed...some advice please

Everyone stole what I was going to say! LOL

GO FOR IT! It is your day and you deserve to be happy! That is all that matters!

Go for it. There are so many options available at WDW that the only similarity will be the zip code. I guess I would say to put your stamp on it and enjoy it.

Ok I have an update!

We talked to his parents last night after dinner, and they are completely on board with us, which is such a relief! Initially, when this was brought up the first time I was not there to hear first hand what and how his parents responded with, my fiance only told me after the fact. When his mom said "That's already been done", I don't think she realized how important it was to me. Last night I told them from the bottom of my heart, that this was a dream of mine, and that it was something I really wanted and they were happy for me and said that we should definitely do what we want. The only thing she asked me to do was to talk to his brother about it first. She said that this was something unique and fun and different, and it was special to them because he lived and breathed Disney since he was 2. She doesn't want him to feel bad that we are "stealing his idea." I'm really nervous to talk to them. I know they wont say "no" to us. But if they are not okay with it, it will make things very awkward as I have asked my FSIL to be a bridesmaid. Does everything have to be so difficult!?

:cheer2::cheer2: One hurdle down.

I would just explain to your fbil how important it is to you and that you'd like his blessing with it! i'm sure he will realize how unique each of your experiences will be and what magic pixiedust: it will be for all of you!

:hug:

Caryn,

That is really sweet! I'm so happy for the both of you! Congrats to you both! When we went to his brothers wedding they had a dessert party in Italy. It was a LOT of fun, and we had an amazing view for the Illuminations show. It was really nice. If I read your post correctly (its still early in the morning and I'm sleepy!), you guys didn't have a dessert party, but your sister will... where will your sister have her dessert party? The food in epcot is just amazing no matter where you go. I'd love to do a dessert party in france... all those french pastries and desserts... yum!

She doesn't want him to feel bad that we are "stealing his idea."

i dont think you are stealing their idea..you were "inspired" by it !
& besides...they are making it out like they created DFTWs???lol

I can only add that I WISH i had more family that were getting married in WDW!!!
i think it would be SO cool!!!! & i wouldnt be selfish to say "you stole my idea"..cause thats just carzy talk:lmao:

I think if you really want a Disney wedding you should have it! If you don't you will regret it!

There are so many different options that Disney has that your wedding can be so different. I would try and choose something very different than what his brother did and make it your own.

It is silly to say that it has been done already. I mean if they got married in a hotel ballroom and you chose the same ballroom I don't think they would be saying that.

His brother probably feels threatened that your wedding might be better. I think everyone will come around eventually. I know it is easier said then done but you need to stand your ground. GL :goodvibes

Ok I have an update!

We talked to his parents last night after dinner, and they are completely on board with us, which is such a relief! Initially, when this was brought up the first time I was not there to hear first hand what and how his parents responded with, my fiance only told me after the fact. When his mom said "That's already been done", I don't think she realized how important it was to me. Last night I told them from the bottom of my heart, that this was a dream of mine, and that it was something I really wanted and they were happy for me and said that we should definitely do what we want. The only thing she asked me to do was to talk to his brother about it first. She said that this was something unique and fun and different, and it was special to them because he lived and breathed Disney since he was 2. She doesn't want him to feel bad that we are "stealing his idea." I'm really nervous to talk to them. I know they wont say "no" to us. But if they are not okay with it, it will make things very awkward as I have asked my FSIL to be a bridesmaid. Does everything have to be so difficult!?

Personally, I wouldn't ask anyone permission! I would kindly explain that you are getting married there and you can't wait to share the experience with them. I think 'asking' them makes it seem like you are doing something wrong when you are not.

And I agree, they didn't create Disney weddings lol! I think it will be easier than you think.

Skylarr, you are right, we shouldn't ask for permission. I just need to find a very nice way of saying to them that this is what we want to do and that we are excited to have them be a part of it. I'm not exactly sure how to start this conversation with them so I've been stressing about it lately. But in no way do I want a "better" wedding then them. That's just not my style. I don't ever try to "one up" people, and you may be right, maybe they are worried that we'll do something better then them, but honestly, that's not what its about at all. This is about having a dream come true. I think if I explain that to them, they will feel ok about it, but I am not sure.... We will see, though.

myprincessgirlisa, that is a GREAT way of putting it! I was inspired by them. But even before I went to their wedding, I just knew that's what I wanted for myself. Going to their wedding later on only increased my wants of having a Disney wedding when I got married. I wish that more people had your train of thought when it came to weddings and where to do it. They should be happy that they get to go back and take part in another wedding there... I mean, that's got to be second best to actually getting married again... and since they can't really do that, I hope they realize what a great thing this will be....

Well, I think everyone has said it all! I agree, you MUST have the wedding you have always dreamed of, if not I suspect you may regret it in the future.

The great thing with Disney weddings is that they are sooo flexible and cater to each person's pearticular needs, therefore the possibility that your wedding and BIL's wedding will be the same is miniscule!! I think it's important to talk to your fiancee's family calmly and tell them the truth. Once they realise how important it is to you, I'm sure they will be far more understanding and excited!

My cousin's got married within about 2 months of eachother and although they were not Disney wddings, they both worried about copying eachother and people remebering one more than the other. In the end though, they were sooooo different and we all had a fantastic time at both because we got to see all our family and friends. We have great memories from each of their weddings and will remember them for completely different reasons.

I hope this has been helpful! Good luck!!

gosh i would love to have wdw wedding ....we are getting married next year and we were going to do it at the swan hotel the same as my brother but my mum gave me the same impression oh we have already done that !! .......i was worried that we were copying my brother, not that he would have been bothered that we would have done the same
our weddings would have been completely different as i love the full wedding dress whereas my SIL wore a simple dress which suited her more .....
but we have now decided to get married at Cypress Grove which i think will suit our wedding more .....
but i would stick to your original dream. this is your wedding and something that you will treasure for ever.
good luck with talking to your FBil and keep us informed how your plans are coming along

we did NOT have a desert party. we had a 10am ceremony at sbp and a brunch reception immediately following at the living seas. then the plan was to head to pi that night, but it was cold and raining, so most of our group ditched us, but it was fun anyway!

lin will have her ceremony at the wp, then her reception/dp at the french island thingee. personally, i don't care what she does as long as i don't look bad and i get to eat all night long!

Well, I have some more news about our Wedding in Disney. Sadly, it will not happen. His brother is just not comfortable with it. From what he says, it is clear that he feels as though he is the only one allowed to have had that experience, and no one else should take that away from him. It is a real shame, and I am heart broken, as I probably will not have the wedding I've always dreamed of. My fiance now feels weird about planning a Disney wedding against his brothers wishes. It may be that we just need a few days to get over the initial emotions, and he may feel better about it a while. But it also may be that he'll never feel comfortable with it. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place because I know my fiance will do what ever makes me happy if I tell him I really want it, but that comes at a price. If we get married in Disney, it will hurt his brothers feelings and make my fiance uncomfortable. If we dont, I will regret it for the rest of my life. Nothing is definite, but it just doesn't look good for us right now... Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement, and congratulations to everyone who gets to have their dream come true wedding. I will of course, let you all know what we eventually decide to do!

Caryn, that sounds like it was a beautiful wedding! Congrats to you and your sister. It is just nice to see that some people out there care about other peoples feelings! I hope you guys have a wonderful time at your sisters wedding!

My 2 cents- Dont do anything you will regret later! This is your/DF day! It is very selfish of your fbil to think he should be the only one with a Disney wedding!

So sorry !:grouphug: pixiedust: hoping all your dreams do come true!

I'm sorry, but that is really selfish of you FBIL. And its sad that he has now put you and your DF in this awkward position. If I were in your shoes - I would have it anyway because its my wedding. I'm just curious though, lets say you and your DF had gotten married at Disney first, how do you think he would react if you guys told him he couldn't have one just because you guys "already did it". I don't think he would take it very well. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this right now. I still think you should have the wedding that YOU want and not let someone else try to take you dream away. :hug:

I am sorry but your FBIL is not a true Disney fan, he is just selfish. I wish everyone I knew would have a Disney wedding, I would go to each and every one without hesitation. I love Disney, especially WDW, I go at least once a year and each time is a different experience. I know it is hard though, because you do not want to affect the relationship between your fiancee and his brother.

I say to keep working on the FBIL by giving him a few ideas of what you want to see at your dream wedding that would be different from his. What was his wife's reaction?

Babeecee, I really wonder my self what would happen if the situation were reversed. But I know in my heart, I can honestly say that I would never EVER deny someone a dream just because I did it first. I know that I would be supper excited that they get to experience something so wonderful. Unfortunately, some people don't think of how others might feel... they don't put themselves in their shoes. It's a shame. In any case, I know he would feel just as miffed as I do right now. But what can you do? People are how they are, and you just can't change them.

Olivia, I am not sure what his wife's thoughts are on this because she was not present when the topic was discusses both times. In fact, the last time it was discussed I was not even present. The subject was brought up by someone else who shouldn't have said anything, and a full discussion was then had by my fiance and his family, where again his brothers dissatisfaction was clearly let known. At this point, I do not feel as though I should have to continue to "pour my heart out" to them just to "convince" them to "let us" have a wedding there. It should be enough that I want it, for what ever reason it is, and they shouldn't have anything negative to say about it. If we decide to go ahead with this plan, we will not sit down and talk to his brother and wife because that was already done. Now its just a matter of what we want, and if it turns out to be that we want to do a Disney wedding, quite frankly if they don't like it they don't have to come. That's their decision.

Babeecee, I really wonder my self what would happen if the situation were reversed. But I know in my heart, I can honestly say that I would never EVER deny someone a dream just because I did it first. I know that I would be supper excited that they get to experience something so wonderful. Unfortunately, some people don't think of how others might feel... they don't put themselves in their shoes. It's a shame. In any case, I know he would feel just as miffed as I do right now. But what can you do? People are how they are, and you just can't change them.

Olivia, I am not sure what his wife's thoughts are on this because she was not present when the topic was discusses both times. In fact, the last time it was discussed I was not even present. The subject was brought up by someone else who shouldn't have said anything, and a full discussion was then had by my fiance and his family, where again his brothers dissatisfaction was clearly let known. At this point, I do not feel as though I should have to continue to "pour my heart out" to them just to "convince" them to "let us" have a wedding there. It should be enough that I want it, for what ever reason it is, and they shouldn't have anything negative to say about it. If we decide to go ahead with this plan, we will not sit down and talk to his brother and wife because that was already done. Now its just a matter of what we want, and if it turns out to be that we want to do a Disney wedding, quite frankly if they don't like it they don't have to come. That's their decision.

Well, it sounds like you should start planning now then! Hopefully, they will come around. :hippie:

I agree. You really don't need someone bringing you down, especially when this is suppose to be a happy and fun experience. Good luck with everything - and I can't wait to hear all about your plans! :goodvibes

Tell his brother to GROW UP and stop acting like a child!!!!!!! OH THIS MAKES ME SO MAD. Explain to the "brother" (I put that in quotes because I don't think he's acting like a true brother) that it is YOUR WEDDING and not HIS. He already had one. Then go do WHATEVER YOU WANT and if he doesn't want to come then GOOD. One less person to pay for!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter