My funny Nelson (as in Ricky Nelson's sons) story

princessmorgan

DIS Veteran
I'm not sure if this is the right place on the boards for this story, but I thought I would share. The Nelsons were performing on May 9th and 10th at Epcot and I wanted to see them as I used to be a fan when I was in middle school. I remember them with long blond hair. Anyway I got vetoed by the rest of my party and was kind of bummed. I didn't think about it again.

Then we went to Epcot on the Tuesday after and were at Soarin. I was waiting for my DH and DD and was sitting with our other 2 children. We got a baby swap and had had a fast pass form earlier. Well after waiting for awhile, I decided not to ride b/c the kids were cranky, so we decided to leave. I wanted to give our FP's to someone and we saw a group of 4 standing around trying to decide whether to go in (the standby line was 50 min). So I asked them if they wanted our FP's. One of the guys was so nice and said "Thank you so much. That's so nice of you" and started to chat a little. Then he said, "Do you want our leftover Park Hopper passes?" I kind of looked at him funny and was like why would you give us Park Hoppers for some Fastpasses. He gave me a bunch of one-day Park Hoppers and I said thanks.

Then we started to walk away and a woman came up to them and asked if she could get a picture. I was kind of looking at them trying to place their faces. So we asked the guy who was taking the picture who they were, and he said Ricky Nelson's sons! They performed at Epcot this weekend! I could not believe it. By the time I came to my senses they went through the FP line at Soarin, so I didn't even get a pic! I did not even recognize them because their hair was so short and they looked a lot younger than I would have imagined. Anyway they were very nice and were going to stand in the standby line for Soarin even after they performed there :lovestruc

Hpw cool. I loved them when I was younger too. After the Rain was such a good song.

You know, I couldn't live without their love and affection at one point, but I grew out of it...

I was in serious love with their father when I was young. I kept waiting for him to come and sweep me away yet many years later when he was flying into a small local airport I did not go to see him. I am not much of one for asking for autographs and such.

I will always regret not going because only three women showed up to welcome him and he was killed shortly afterward.

He would be proud of his boys. The Nelson's were a great family.

Slightly Goofy

I was in serious love with their father when I was young. I kept waiting for him to come and sweep me away yet many years later when he was flying into a small local airport I did not go to see him. I am not much of one for asking for autographs and such.

I will always regret not going because only three women showed up to welcome him and he was killed shortly afterward.

He would be proud of his boys. The Nelson's were a great family.

Slightly Goofy

Wow, I can't believe how close you were to meeting him. His sons did seem very nice and down to earth. Thanks for sharing!

:lmao: I had to make sure I snuck a peak of them too! I had the song " I can't live with out your love and affection" stuck in my head for days! I had to text my friends and family to let them know that I was watching "Nelson"...with out the hair!
DSC03675.jpg

What a great story! I woulda felt like a doof, :lmao:. I feel your pain!

I remember having such a crush on them, but I think I really just wanted that gorgeous hair!

Does Disney have bands at their park often? I've never seen an schedule for these type of events? Any chance they will perform again n the park in the future?

Maybe next year. The Flower & Garden Festival is going on; next is the Food & Wine Festival. Each has its own concert series, often with (some of) its own repeat performers - for example, Nelson may appear at next years F&G but not this year's F&W; Starship has appeared at the Food & Wine for the last several years but not the Flower & Garden. Then there's a summer concert series not connected with any special event.

Concerts are about 45 minutes, three times a night, first come first serve, no additional charge

i was there for the flower and garden fest this year and i missed davey jones by a week :~( i was sad. ive loved him sincce he went to the school dance with marsha on the brady bunch.:rotfl:

The woman who asked for the photo was ME! The man taking the photo was my husband. It was so much fun spotting the Nelsons. We had been to the concert on Sunday.

I'm not sure if this is the right place on the boards for this story, but I thought I would share. The Nelsons were performing on May 9th and 10th at Epcot and I wanted to see them as I used to be a fan when I was in middle school. I remember them with long blond hair. Anyway I got vetoed by the rest of my party and was kind of bummed. I didn't think about it again.

Then we went to Epcot on the Tuesday after and were at Soarin. I was waiting for my DH and DD and was sitting with our other 2 children. We got a baby swap and had had a fast pass form earlier. Well after waiting for awhile, I decided not to ride b/c the kids were cranky, so we decided to leave. I wanted to give our FP's to someone and we saw a group of 4 standing around trying to decide whether to go in (the standby line was 50 min). So I asked them if they wanted our FP's. One of the guys was so nice and said "Thank you so much. That's so nice of you" and started to chat a little. Then he said, "Do you want our leftover Park Hopper passes?" I kind of looked at him funny and was like why would you give us Park Hoppers for some Fastpasses. He gave me a bunch of one-day Park Hoppers and I said thanks.

Then we started to walk away and a woman came up to them and asked if she could get a picture. I was kind of looking at them trying to place their faces. So we asked the guy who was taking the picture who they were, and he said Ricky Nelson's sons! They performed at Epcot this weekend! I could not believe it. By the time I came to my senses they went through the FP line at Soarin, so I didn't even get a pic! I did not even recognize them because their hair was so short and they looked a lot younger than I would have imagined. Anyway they were very nice and were going to stand in the standby line for Soarin even after they performed there :lovestruc

That is so cool!!!!

I was at Epcot on Tuesday as well, we were at Soarin around noon time but more than likely I would not have even thought they would be there.

The Nelsons came to my Highschool back in the 90's because Ozzie lived in my town!!!! So they renamed our Highschool address to 1 Ozzie Nelson Drive!!!

Since I was in the chorus back then....they performed and signed autographs then they came back to our Band room and they performed just for us and it was really cool. They were huge back then but still really nice guys. I remember my best friend at the time LOVED Gunnar oh my she was too much.

They still look pretty good to me even with their short hair!

Oh I love it!!! I saw them when they came to Oklahoma City years ago. It was a gret concert but OMG I was sooo in love.

The woman who asked for the photo was ME! The man taking the photo was my husband. It was so much fun spotting the Nelsons. We had been to the concert on Sunday.

:thumbsup2 That is so funny! My DH was talking to yours, because I was so embarrassed, and my DH had no idea who Nelson was back in the day. When your DH told him it was Ricky Nelson's sons, he was so confused. He was wondering how I had a crush on someone whose sons were older than we were. Then your DH had to explain that Ricky Nelson had passed away. Tell your DH thanks for being so patient with mine :rotfl: Yes, please do share the picture if you get a chance!

:lmao: I had to make sure I snuck a peak of them too! I had the song " I can't live with out your love and affection" stuck in my head for days! I had to text my friends and family to let them know that I was watching "Nelson"...with out the hair!
DSC03675.jpg

Thanks for sharing your picture! I'm glad to see I'm not the only fan! (Well I guess I'm not a very good one, because I didn't even recognize them).

I remember my DH talking to a man after taking the photo. Kinda tall guy with blondish hair? Anyway, I don't have enough posts to be able to add a photo.

Martha

EPCOTConcertTheNelsons.jpg

I hope this picture works. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. I was right up front and center. My favorite spot.

SG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter