My Future as an Imagineer?

Skatergirl98

Disney Vet
I'm 15 years old and I an getting to the point where i need to start thinking about what I want to do in the future. I've been going to Disney World ever since I was 2 years old and I love going there with my family. I love working with people young and old. At first i wanted to be a teacher but as I started looking into things and taking different classes at school, I discovered that I love visual design and working with computers. What would I have to do to become an Imagineer? What could I do to prepare for this field?

Good for you! A dream job is a job you dream about every night before you wake every morning to go to it.

My daughter, a very talented artist, (8) is already wondering about working for WDW. I suggest writing to an imagineer and ask them what they did for a prep.

WDW also has a program where you can have dinner with an imagineer. I think if you can do it, a visit to WDW and having dinner with one, would be impressive. Just imagine if that person is in charge of hiring when you apply!!! You could remind him of your dinner together!!

I'm 15 years old and I an getting to the point where i need to start thinking about what I want to do in the future. What would I have to do to become an Imagineer? What could I do to prepare for this field?

It's good to start thinking about what you'd like to do early. :)

I suggest looking at the WDI website to see what they're looking for in imagineers and what your career options might look like - http://wdi.disneycareers.com/en/default/

Imagineering covers a wide range of careers, and they're all going to want different skills and talents.

I'd just say it wouldn't be easy and to have lots of backup options. It's extremely competitive with few slots and apparently not great entry-level pay. A lot of people get in through connections. My understanding is that their greatest needs are for those in an art/design field, who are willing to work on new concepts and the "look and feel" of rides, stores, and theme parks.

Also - the majority of the jobs are near the Walt Disney Company headquarters in Southern California - in Glendale. You'd more than likely have to be willing to relocate there, which is a very expensive place to live.

Good luck with your dream.

Well you're in a great time of your life to start thinking about it, and to be qualified for an Imagineer position, you're going to be highly skilled and qualified for a number of jobs outside of the company. When you acquire the necessary skills, you may well find that you could make more money outside of Disney and have plenty of money for you & your family to vacation there often.

I suggest you enlist the help of your school counselor to find out more about what would be required and the fields of study you'll need.

I think it's great that you have a dream job in mind at such an early age. :thumbsup2

My older daughter has a friend who is an Imagineer. They both graduated from MIT. Look for the best colleges with the type of engineering and design you are interested in.

Look at the Disney college program and find the ones more involved in research. My younger daughter has her eye on one at the Land Pavilion, and will apply in a year or two. Getting a solid foot in the door can help.

Here's an article from the Los Angeles Daily News on a competition of college students with WDI.

http://www.dailynews.com/business/20140131/college-students-vie-to-become-disney-imagineers

For two dozen college students, the dream of a career with the Mouse House just got a little bit closer. This week they got to see what it would be like work at Walt Disney Imagineering in Glendale.

They are members of six four-person teams selected as finalists in the 23rd annual Imaginations attraction-concepting competition sponsored by the design and development arm of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Entrants are charged with selecting one city from anywhere in the world and conceiving an entertainment experience that will entice locals and tourists alike.

I've heard that graduates of California Institute of the Arts tend to be extremely well represented among WDI employees. They also tend to have a lot of graduates of well regarded engineering, architecture, and art schools.

Only 1 I know has a Mechanical Engineering degree from Missouri S&T.

Thank you all so much for the help. I'm going to have to look into the Dinner with an Imagineer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter