My Poor Cat is a Mess

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
She will be 15 in May, strictly indoors.

I had her to the veterinarian August 11th, as her nose problem (she sneezes, runny nose all the time) was worse and she had ear mites again. They did blood work (all was fine), and gave me antibiotics for her "respiratory issue" and drops for her ears and charged me $269.

Her nose problems didn't clear up, they never do. She's had antibiotics twice before (different vet) and they didn't help either time. But she started pooping outside her litter box again (happened before, she was given a depo shot for inflammation) so December 11th she went back to the vet for another depo shot. And we discussed her on-going nose problem, and determined that it is probably feline herpes, which apparently there is no cure for so we just have to deal with the sneezing and runny nose. :( They charged me $62 for that visit. So all-in-all I've paid $331 to the vet in the last 5 months.

Three weeks ago I went to wipe her nose with a tissue and hair came off around her nose. It got worse. I thought maybe it was a side effect from the depo shot so didn't panic about it. But then she started losing the hair behind her right ear too, which is the ear she has been scratching. And she has been shaking her head a lot so I thought probably ear mites again (how she gets them when she's strictly an indoor cat I don't understand) so rather than taking her back to the vet for it I just bought some Hartz Ultra Guard ear mite drops at Walmart and have been using them on her ears for the past 7 days.

Now she has developed another issue, with her left eye. It's watery and she doesn't want to open it much. I thought maybe she got a piece of cat litter in it or dirt, and it would clear up. It hasn't. Maybe she scratched the eye, I'm not sure.

Her breath smells bad, I mean really, really bad. Cats always have "cat breath" from their food, but hers is exceptionally bad. Maybe she needs her teeth cleaned by the vet, I'm not sure.

She's still eating although not as much as normal, still drinks water, still pees and poops (thankfully all in the litter box) but I do have an appointment for her to go back to the vet tomorrow morning.

Anyone else have a cat that has had these issues (probably not all at once)?

I don't mind (too much) paying money to the vet if they can help her, but yet it is getting rather costly, and now I'll be paying for tomorrow's visit and who knows what else.

If it is feline herpes, it is not unusual for it to also affect the eyes. Did your vet give you any type of immune booster? Lysine is something we routinely administer to the cats who have herpes at the shelter where I volunteer. Some cats will be symptom free for months/years then have a flair up with congestion/runny eyes. You can buy Lysine pills at your pharmacy and crush them and sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon over wet food twice a day (it's odorless and flavorless and the cats really do improve after a few weeks). That's the easiest and most cost effective way to administer Lysine instead of the tube of gel a vet might sell.

As far as the Depo shot (and any steroid) that typically doesn't cause itchiness, so it might be a repeat of the ear mites, but I would have your vet actually swab and look at the swab under a microscope instead of just assuming that's the problem. The otc Hartz medications are really, really rough on cats so I personally do not use them. But, to negate my first sentence in this paragraph, steroids might cause or contribute to dry skin, especially with an older cat who might not be drinking enough water on top of her runny nose/eyes.

Also, instead of using a tissue or paper towel to wipe the discharge, a warm, wet washcloth will do a better job more gently. It's really important to remove the dried on gunk around the eyes and nose.

Discuss her dental issues with your vet. Some vets won't want to sedate a 15 year old cat for dental work, or they may request a full blood panel so they know if there are any underlying significant issues before anesthesia.

Good luck! It gets hard as they age. My girl is 17, almost 18 and had a stroke a few years ago. We had to make a few adjustments within our household for her safety, but she's trucking along.

She will be 15 in May, strictly indoors.

I had her to the veterinarian August 11th, as her nose problem (she sneezes, runny nose all the time) was worse and she had ear mites again. They did blood work (all was fine), and gave me antibiotics for her "respiratory issue" and drops for her ears and charged me $269.

Her nose problems didn't clear up, they never do. She's had antibiotics twice before (different vet) and they didn't help either time. But she started pooping outside her litter box again (happened before, she was given a depo shot for inflammation) so December 11th she went back to the vet for another depo shot. And we discussed her on-going nose problem, and determined that it is probably feline herpes, which apparently there is no cure for so we just have to deal with the sneezing and runny nose. :( They charged me $62 for that visit. So all-in-all I've paid $331 to the vet in the last 5 months.

Three weeks ago I went to wipe her nose with a tissue and hair came off around her nose. It got worse. I thought maybe it was a side effect from the depo shot so didn't panic about it. But then she started losing the hair behind her right ear too, which is the ear she has been scratching. And she has been shaking her head a lot so I thought probably ear mites again (how she gets them when she's strictly an indoor cat I don't understand) so rather than taking her back to the vet for it I just bought some Hartz Ultra Guard ear mite drops at Walmart and have been using them on her ears for the past 7 days.

Now she has developed another issue, with her left eye. It's watery and she doesn't want to open it much. I thought maybe she got a piece of cat litter in it or dirt, and it would clear up. It hasn't. Maybe she scratched the eye, I'm not sure.

Her breath smells bad, I mean really, really bad. Cats always have "cat breath" from their food, but hers is exceptionally bad. Maybe she needs her teeth cleaned by the vet, I'm not sure.

She's still eating although not as much as normal, still drinks water, still pees and poops (thankfully all in the litter box) but I do have an appointment for her to go back to the vet tomorrow morning.

Anyone else have a cat that has had these issues (probably not all at once)?

I don't mind (too much) paying money to the vet if they can help her, but yet it is getting rather costly, and now I'll be paying for tomorrow's visit and who knows what else.

First of all, avoid any of those Hartz products like the plague! Discontinue use immediately. Google is full of horror stories. Stay away!

15 is not exactly young, but not exactly time to call it yet if you’re not ready. Ask the vets for an honest assessment, but I’m bothered by the language you use referring to the cost. Vets are doctors for your animals. If your child was sick and you had to pay $300, would you then decide to just take matters into your own hands and hope for the best?

My cat just had his teeth cleaned to the tune of $525, but it was preventative and therefore worth it - far cheaper than extractions. With your cat’s health problems, they may not want to put it under for the procedure, but there are diseases caused by bad gums, so it’s worth asking about. Breath can also be a sign of diabetes. Did they do a blood workup? That will give you more answers, and yes, it will cost money.

If it is feline herpes, it is not unusual for it to also affect the eyes. Did your vet give you any type of immune booster? Lysine is something we routinely administer to the cats who have herpes at the shelter where I volunteer. Some cats will be symptom free for months/years then have a flair up with congestion/runny eyes. You can buy Lysine pills at your pharmacy and crush them and sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon over wet food twice a day (it's odorless and flavorless and the cats really do improve after a few weeks). That's the easiest and most cost effective way to administer Lysine instead of the tube of gel a vet might sell.

As far as the Depo shot (and any steroid) that typically doesn't cause itchiness, so it might be a repeat of the ear mites, but I would have your vet actually swab and look at the swab under a microscope instead of just assuming that's the problem. The otc Hartz medications are really, really rough on cats so I personally do not use them. But, to negate my first sentence in this paragraph, steroids might cause or contribute to dry skin, especially with an older cat who might not be drinking enough water on top of her runny nose/eyes.

Also, instead of using a tissue or paper towel to wipe the discharge, a warm, wet washcloth will do a better job more gently. It's really important to remove the dried on gunk around the eyes and nose.

Discuss her dental issues with your vet. Some vets won't want to sedate a 15 year old cat for dental work, or they may request a full blood panel so they know if there are any underlying significant issues before anesthesia.

Good luck! It gets hard as they age. My girl is 17, almost 18 and had a stroke a few years ago. We had to make a few adjustments within our household for her safety, but she's trucking along.

Great stuff in here!

No, neither vet (there are two at the office I take my cat to and they both have seen my cat on separate times) has ever suggested Lysine, I've never heard of it. I will ask about it tomorrow for sure. I would love for her to be symptom free for awhile! I feel so sorry for her when she sneezes (usually several in a row) and has trouble breathing. :( Not sure she would eat the crushed pills though as she doesn't like wet food. :(

I don't think they have ever looked at the swab under a microscope after swabbing her ears. They do get some black gunky stuff out. I have swabbed her ears myself a couple times lately and really haven't gotten much gunk out.

When I wiped her nose with the tissue, it was wiping away wet mucous, nothing dry. If it's dry I do use a warm wet washcloth (as the vet suggested) but when it's wet I just wipe with a tissue.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I appreciate it.

First of all, avoid any of those Hartz products like the plague! Discontinue use immediately. Google is full of horror stories. Stay away!

15 is not exactly young, but not exactly time to call it yet if you’re not ready. Ask the vets for an honest assessment, but I’m bothered by the language you use referring to the cost. Vets are doctors for your animals. If your child was sick and you had to pay $300, would you then decide to just take matters into your own hands and hope for the best?

My cat just had his teeth cleaned to the tune of $525, but it was preventative and therefore worth it - far cheaper than extractions. With your cat’s health problems, they may not want to put it under for the procedure, but there are diseases caused by bad gums, so it’s worth asking about. Breath can also be a sign of diabetes. Did they do a blood workup? That will give you more answers, and yes, it will cost money.

My problem with the cost is not so much as paying the bill, but the fact that what they prescribe doesn't help her. I don't mind paying for something that works.

And I guess you didn't read the part of my post where I did say they did a complete blood work in August and everything came back fine, including checking for diabetes.

My problem with the cost is not so much as paying the bill, but the fact that what they prescribe doesn't help her. I don't mind paying for something that works.

And I guess you didn't read the part of my post where I did say they did a complete blood work in August and everything came back fine, including checking for diabetes.

August was a while ago, things could have materialized since then. This is sadly the age that general health can begin to decline.

I also just saw that you commented that your vet has never heard of lysine? Maybe time for a new vet...

That’s not exactly a new or unorthodox treatment.

August was a while ago, things could have materialized since then. This is sadly the age that general health can begin to decline.

I also just saw that you commented that your vet has never heard of lysine? Maybe time for a new vet...

That’s not exactly a new or unorthodox treatment.

Um, no, I never said the VET has never heard of lysine. I said that I myself have never heard of it.

Um, no, I never said the VET has never heard of lysine. I said that I myself have never heard of it.

Ah ok I see now I read that wrong. You said they’d never mentioned it and you’d never heard of it. Apologies. Sorry I’m in an airport on my phone.

Firstly I hope your cat gets better. I hate seeing my cat in pain.

On the part that I quoted I think that's very much like real life. Sometimes you go to the doctor and what they give you doesn't work or what you have isn't what they thought you had. Sometimes you go to CVS, etc and get something and it doesn't really work.

Do you happen to have another vet in the area you could take your cat to? Sorta like a second opinion.

Do you have more than one pet in the household?

On the ear mites thing I did look up and saw that it's possible that a complication of it is skin or ear infections.

Hopefully your cat gets better though or at least the symptoms are managable :(

Firstly I hope your cat gets better. I hate seeing my cat in pain.

On the part that I quoted I think that's very much like real life. Sometimes you go to the doctor and what they give you doesn't work or what you have isn't what they thought you had. Sometimes you go to CVS, etc and get something and it doesn't really work.

Do you happen to have another vet in the area you could take your cat to? Sorta like a second opinion.

Do you have more than one pet in the household?

On the ear mites thing I did look up and saw that it's possible that a complication of it is skin or ear infections.

Hopefully your cat gets better though or at least the symptoms are managable :(

Yes, but I have health insurance for myself, don't have that for my cat so I pay the whole bill. :)

Actually the two vets that have seen her (in August and December) are both new in the office I have taken my cat to for years. My previous vet retired and there are two new ones in the office now. I have actually thought about calling "the Incredible Dr. Pol" and see if I could take her to his office. We watch his show all the time and his office isn't too far from me. :)

Nope, she's the only cat/pet in the house.

Maybe it is an ear infection, hopefully I'll find out tomorrow. I really do hope they can help with all the issues she's having right now. I'm definitely going to ask them to look at the gunk from her ears under a microscope instead of just assuming its ear mites, and ask them about the Lysine.

Yes, but I have health insurance for myself, don't have that for my cat so I pay the whole bill. :)
Well depending on what health insurance you do have you would. But my point wasn't really about the cost so much that you said you didn't mind paying if it worked. I was saying just like it happens to us sometimes you go to the doctor and what they give you doesn't work. Sometimes you spend the money for something at CVS for example and it doesn't work.

On the cat you can get health insurance for cats and dogs but when your cat has pre-existing conditions getting it (just like it used to be for humans before affordable care act) as well as sometimes age restrictions occur and both can make it more difficult to get it but they still have it.

Maybe it is an ear infection, hopefully I'll find out tomorrow. I really do hope they can help with all the issues she's having right now. I'm definitely going to ask them to look at the gunk from her ears under a microscope instead of just assuming its ear mites, and ask them about the Lysine.
Yeah to be honest I'm a bit surprised they haven't looked under a microscope or at least a magnifying glass. Maybe it was really easy to spot that it was ear mites? IDK but the thing I found out when I did a quick look is "Your vet will most likely remove earwax and examine it against a black background using a magnifying class. Because mites are white, the black background provides the necessary contrast to see them. Special equipment (such as a magnifying glass) is usually required because an ear mite is only the size of a pinhead."

Nope, she's the only cat/pet in the house.
Ok I was wondering because it says indoor cats can still get earmites (since they are parasites) but that the most common way is through another pet that has them.

Actually the two vets that have seen her (in August and December) are both new in the office I have taken my cat to for years. My previous vet retired and there are two new ones in the office now. I have actually thought about calling "the Incredible Dr. Pol" and see if I could take her to his office. We watch his show all the time and his office isn't too far from me. :)
Ah I see. My stepmom had a hard time when her vet retired. You get so used to the vet relationship too.

The place that I take my cat is a cats only clinic. Now I wouldn't hesitate to take my cat elsewhere if I really felt I was getting subpar service (not saying that's how you feel just how I would feel) but I do trust that clinic more because without taking care of other species of animals I feel they can concentrate on cats.

That's not a bad idea about the other person near you. I know it might be another vet visit cost but it may work out for the better depending on how your appointment goes tomorrow.

How does a cat get feline herpes if it's the only cat in the house and never goes out doors?

The infection needs to be cultured, some infections are resistant to certain antibiotics. My vet has used what's called BNT treatment which treats both bacterial and fungal infections in a lanolin packing that's put in the ear, then rechecked in 2 weeks. I would not put any Hartz-type products in her ears, either. Lysine is a good idea, and can be put directly in her food.

How does a cat get feline herpes if it's the only cat in the house and never goes out doors?
From what I've read it's not common when the cat is the only animal, hasn't been outdoors, not immediately from a shelter/cattery, etc but it can happen I guess.

"A cat becomes infected with this virus by direct contact with virus particles. The virus is excreted in saliva and in discharges from the eyes and nose of an infected cat. Therefore, an infection occurs when a susceptible cat comes into direct contact with an infected cat, or comes into contact with inanimate objects (called 'fomites') that have been contaminated with viral particles."

I looked up the definition of fomite: "An inanimate object or substance, such as clothing, furniture, or soap, that is capable of transmitting infectious organisms from one individual to another."

Still for me personally I would rather get a second opinion at this point if the vet visit tomorrow doesn't go well.

She was actually born outside to a barn cat, so that's likely how she got feline herpes. And she was 9-months old before I got her. For the first few years of her life she was fine, then started having sneezing/runny nose/mucous issues. She took antibiotics for it several times, but it never helped. And it has gotten worse in the past year or so. I talked to the new vet about it, asked if it could be allergies or feline herpes and after our discussion she felt it was probably the feline herpes but never said anything about giving her Lysine.

Toilet seat?

Seriously? :rolleyes:

Totally left field, but are there any scented candles, air fresheners, oils, cleaning products that you have been using consistently throughout the years? Cats can be very sensitive to certain odors and cannot metabolize certain things that can build up in the lungs and cause upper respiratory issues. Just trying to think outside the box.

And also throw the Hartz in the garbage.

Totally left field, but are there any scented candles, air fresheners, oils, cleaning products that you have been using consistently throughout the years? Cats can be very sensitive to certain odors and cannot metabolize certain things that can build up in the lungs and cause upper respiratory issues. Just trying to think outside the box.

And also throw the Hartz in the garbage.

I do burn candles quite often in the winter (Bath & Body, Yankee, Kohl's) and use Glade air fresheners. I stopped using the Hartz today, and will mention to the vet that I had been using it for her ears. :(

I have nothing useful to add...

Just wanted to send some get well wishes for your cat!!!! It's tough when an animal is sick and you're unsure how to best help...

Thank you, I appreciate it. :)

This is the lysine one of my cats takes. It's a chewable, just like their regular treats, and she loves it! I used to get it from the vet, but they switched to the paste, so now I order it on line. I've used Drs. Foster & Smith and Petco, and it looks like maybe Chewy has it now too? (The package looks slightly different.)

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...ViLfACh3vyA0fEAQYASABEgJ2hfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Oh wow, thank you so much! I will definitely ask the vet about Lysine tomorrow. I have no idea why she didn't recommend it when we discussed the possibility of her nose issues being cause by feline herpes.

My cat is pretty fussy on her food though. She used to have a lot of trouble with vomiting, sometimes 2-3 times a week. Then I switched her to Beyond and Crave foods (they don't have wheat) and those issues completely went away. I did try her on Beyond's canned food, as she doesn't chew her food anymore, and just swallows the pieces whole. So I thought it would be easier for her to eat the canned, but she doesn't like it. I tried to gradually switch her over, but she still preferred the dry and wouldn't eat much of the wet, if any at all. So I'm not sure if she'd like the Lysine treats or not, but it would sure be worth a try. I would try anything that might help her with her sneezing/runny nose problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter