My recent cruise on RCCL. Comparison with DCL

maggie blossom

Mouseketeer
I am a big DCL fan but recently completed first cruise on RCCL. Writing a comparison report and thought I would share it here as well in case anyone else interested.

Just off 8 day cruise in the Med on Independence of the Seas, "Indy". This was our first cruise with RCCL. We have previously done 3 with DCL; including one in the Med in 2014. We have cruised on the Magic and the Wonder on DCL, not the larger ships so this was our first cruise on a ship this size. There are 3 of us, 2 adults and our 17 yo daughter. We thought long and hard about which cruise line. Just thought I'd share some thoughts in case others are considering which line.

Why this one? My daughter has always loved joining the kids clubs on cruises. She is an "only" so it is her way to hang with others her age. She really wanted to do one more cruise before she turned 18 so she could participate in the kids clubs. I had read a long comparison review of RCCL which basically said it was just as good with programming for kids so this is the line I chose to consider.

If we were going to do Disney this year the options were: Alaska (been there), Caribbean (didn't want to do it in the summer) and the Med. Using the weeks available for school vacation there were really only two med itineraries with DCL. One included Greece, we did that a few years ago. The other was a small loop around Italy. I really didn't want to see Italy this way. We plan to spend time in Italy at some point but we want to immerse ourselves there, not on and off the ship. The Indy had a great itinerary: Belgium; Oslo, Norway; Hamburg, Germany; and La Havre, France. This was far more exciting to us.

Basically we were able to do an 8 night cruise on RCCL for almost $2000 less than a 7 night on DCL. AND we preferred the ports. No brainer for me. Took some convincing to the 17 yo.

Odds and Ends comparison:

Check In/ Embarkation: Super, super easy on RCCL. We had no loyalty status with RCCL and were on deck 2. A week or two before our cruise we got an email saying our check in time was 3:00 pm. Thanks to others reports here I learned they would not enforce that. Check in started for all at 11:00. We arrived at the port at 11:15. Luggage was left with a porter. We got in a short line to check in. We had to leave our passports. That was new for me and unsettling as we were in a foreign country. But we did it. (We later got them back I think on day 5). Check in was fast and we were on the ship at 11:30. Faster than DCL. Shorter line. No throng of people hanging and listening for our boarding number to be called. No one announced our family name when we walked on board. Nice touch on DCL but not worth extra $2000.

State rooms felt similar. We have always had an ocean view and did again. The bed was set up under the large porthole window which I didn't love. Don't know if that is the same with all our just on our deck. We did GTY and were assigned to room 2542. I was not happy when I saw it online as it is near a stairwell and I was afraid of noise. We ended up loving our room! It was way forward. It was very close to stairs but there was a small half wall in between the stairs and the rooms. This served was just enough to block out any noise from the stairs. We were one of 4 or 5 rooms at far front. Across from us was this half wall; not other staterooms. So quiet and not a lot of foot traffic. Would highly recommend this room! Luggage was there at 1:00; easy. Our stateroom attendant was sweet, and was fine. Other odds and ends of the room: I missed the DCL split bathroom. I like having the two separate. Also RCCL had a shower stall only and it was not large. No nice shower gels, shampoo etc that you get on DCL. In fact no conditioner at all. But we did get some when I requested it. We had towel animals 3 days out of 8. No chocolates.

Food: Food quality was probably similar. We say "we don't cruise for the food". We ate in MDL 7 out of 8 nights. Did not take advantage of MTD. I had good luck with the appetizers; loved all I chose. My main courses were mostly ok, some better than others. I was disappointed in dessert. There were always 2 dessert choices and two sugar free options. In addition there was always "classics" which were the same every night. Thank God for the classics as the desserts offered really were not appealing. I would have loved more choices. Our wait staff was fine; no better or worse than DCL. I will say I think the head waiter spoke to us once. On DCL we saw much more of the head waiter. But otherwise service was fine.

I wasn't expecting entertainment during dinner like you get with DCL. But I will say I got bored with dinner in the MDL. It was the same thing every night. I realized that whether it was the entertainment for some meals on Disney or the rotational dining I don't know. But it wasn't the same spot, looking at the same people at other tables for 8 nights. One night we just took a break and ate at Windjammer. Large choice there but often not hot food.

Will stop here for now. To be continued. I want to touch on many more areas.

Happy to answer questions

Thanks for the comparison. We've sailed both Disney and RCCL and love both for different reasons. We also have an 'only' (15yo) and he often drives our travel choices. He loves both lines as well.

Enjoying your review. We are big fans of the Oasis class ships. We sailed the smaller Serenade last year for an amazing itinerary - probably our favorite cruise ever. I am a foodie :-) and I must say I have yet to find any cruise where I was blown away by the desserts! In fact, I always get a Mickey bar on DCL. As far as dining - we really like having the option of a dinner buffet (especially after a very long day in port). We like our own table and other than AP on DCL, we can take or leave the MDRs. (The Allure had the most amazing specialty restaurants - first time we've done that and will do it again!)

Thanks for writing this- I'm really keen to hear about the rest of your trip too. I'm intrigued about the passports- what was the reason that they had to be handed over?

We will be in the States for 5 weeks next year and have 2 cruises booked- first Harmony of the Seas for 7 nights and then later a quick 3-night on the Dream. While we've done 3 DCL cruises, it's our first with RCI. We added the Dream cruise to the end of our trip because we decided we simply couldn't go all that way and miss out on the DCL touches :tinker:.

Thanks for writing this- I'm really keen to hear about the rest of your trip too. I'm intrigued about the passports- what was the reason that they had to be handed over?

I'm interested in that too, I always thought you NEVER let your passport out of your possession, especially in foreign countries.

We were on RCI Northern Europe cruise about a month ago.

Nobody took our passports. We showed them at check-in, and literally nobody ever was interested in them during all the cruise. Only in Russia (St Petersburg) we showed the passports getting of and on the ship. In other countries nobody ever asked us about passports.

The fact that they took the passports is kind of weird. I don't think I would ever agree to leave my passport with anybody. In fact we still were taking the passports with us getting of the ship - in case something happens etc.

We also liked very much that cruise with Royal. The ports were awesome: Oslo, Tallinn, Copenhagen, Brugge, 2 days in St Petersburg.

The fact that we were sailing from England was very convenient for us: we fly stand-by and there are many flights to London. London is almost second home for us :)

The ship - Navigator of the Seas - was great. Very clean and beautiful.

The stuff was very friendly and helpful. No difference from Disney really.

The food was not amazing, but it was O'K. We spent all our meals in the buffet and in the paid restaurants. Buffet was our favorite as we like the variety and the possibility to eat casual without dressing up and spending a lot of time.

The rooms were really nice - we had so called Grand suite and our daughter had adjacent Junior Suite, so we opened the balcony divider and were able just walk from room to room through one big balcony.

Grand Suite was the best suite option for two people - in my opinion. It is the cheapest and smallest from "real" suites (Junior suite doesn't have "suite perks"), but it is spacious, well organized, with a lot of storage and great big bathroom.

The Junior suite is not technically a suite - it is just bigger room. The only "perk" it had was priority embarkation - which was nice so we could board altogether whenever we wanted.

We didn't plan to get that nice of a room for our daughter, but it was the only adjacent rooms options we were able to get, and lucky for us at the moment the price for Junior suite was the same as for the balcony cabin. Though it was not a suite - the room was really spacious and nice, with bathtub and walk-in closet.

So far we were extremely happy with our RCI experience. No complains at all.

The only thing - my husband thought the best food was on Celebrity - better than RCI and Disney (except for the Palo branch which was wonderful).

I am a big DCL fan but recently completed first cruise on RCCL. Writing a comparison report and thought I would share it here as well in case anyone else interested.

Just off 8 day cruise in the Med on Independence of the Seas, "Indy". This was our first cruise with RCCL. We have previously done 3 with DCL; including one in the Med in 2014. We have cruised on the Magic and the Wonder on DCL, not the larger ships so this was our first cruise on a ship this size. There are 3 of us, 2 adults and our 17 yo daughter. We thought long and hard about which cruise line. Just thought I'd share some thoughts in case others are considering which line.

Why this one? My daughter has always loved joining the kids clubs on cruises. She is an "only" so it is her way to hang with others her age. She really wanted to do one more cruise before she turned 18 so she could participate in the kids clubs. I had read a long comparison review of RCCL which basically said it was just as good with programming for kids so this is the line I chose to consider.

If we were going to do Disney this year the options were: Alaska (been there), Caribbean (didn't want to do it in the summer) and the Med. Using the weeks available for school vacation there were really only two med itineraries with DCL. One included Greece, we did that a few years ago. The other was a small loop around Italy. I really didn't want to see Italy this way. We plan to spend time in Italy at some point but we want to immerse ourselves there, not on and off the ship. The Indy had a great itinerary: Belgium; Oslo, Norway; Hamburg, Germany; and La Havre, France. This was far more exciting to us.

Basically we were able to do an 8 night cruise on RCCL for almost $2000 less than a 7 night on DCL. AND we preferred the ports. No brainer for me. Took some convincing to the 17 yo.

Odds and Ends comparison:

Check In/ Embarkation: Super, super easy on RCCL. We had no loyalty status with RCCL and were on deck 2. A week or two before our cruise we got an email saying our check in time was 3:00 pm. Thanks to others reports here I learned they would not enforce that. Check in started for all at 11:00. We arrived at the port at 11:15. Luggage was left with a porter. We got in a short line to check in. We had to leave our passports. That was new for me and unsettling as we were in a foreign country. But we did it. (We later got them back I think on day 5). Check in was fast and we were on the ship at 11:30. Faster than DCL. Shorter line. No throng of people hanging and listening for our boarding number to be called. No one announced our family name when we walked on board. Nice touch on DCL but not worth extra $2000.

State rooms felt similar. We have always had an ocean view and did again. The bed was set up under the large porthole window which I didn't love. Don't know if that is the same with all our just on our deck. We did GTY and were assigned to room 2542. I was not happy when I saw it online as it is near a stairwell and I was afraid of noise. We ended up loving our room! It was way forward. It was very close to stairs but there was a small half wall in between the stairs and the rooms. This served was just enough to block out any noise from the stairs. We were one of 4 or 5 rooms at far front. Across from us was this half wall; not other staterooms. So quiet and not a lot of foot traffic. Would highly recommend this room! Luggage was there at 1:00; easy. Our stateroom attendant was sweet, and was fine. Other odds and ends of the room: I missed the DCL split bathroom. I like having the two separate. Also RCCL had a shower stall only and it was not large. No nice shower gels, shampoo etc that you get on DCL. In fact no conditioner at all. But we did get some when I requested it. We had towel animals 3 days out of 8. No chocolates.

Food: Food quality was probably similar. We say "we don't cruise for the food". We ate in MDL 7 out of 8 nights. Did not take advantage of MTD. I had good luck with the appetizers; loved all I chose. My main courses were mostly ok, some better than others. I was disappointed in dessert. There were always 2 dessert choices and two sugar free options. In addition there was always "classics" which were the same every night. Thank God for the classics as the desserts offered really were not appealing. I would have loved more choices. Our wait staff was fine; no better or worse than DCL. I will say I think the head waiter spoke to us once. On DCL we saw much more of the head waiter. But otherwise service was fine.

I wasn't expecting entertainment during dinner like you get with DCL. But I will say I got bored with dinner in the MDL. It was the same thing every night. I realized that whether it was the entertainment for some meals on Disney or the rotational dining I don't know. But it wasn't the same spot, looking at the same people at other tables for 8 nights. One night we just took a break and ate at Windjammer. Large choice there but often not hot food.

Will stop here for now. To be continued. I want to touch on many more areas.

Happy to answer questions
Thanks for the report. I just read that IotS is going in for drydock in April and will be getting water slides, trampoline park, laser tag and an escape room.

As far as keeping passports, I don't know the exact rules/laws on it, but it is very common on some European itineraries for the cruise line to keep them, Carnival and NCL does it as well.

I look forward to reading the rest of your report.

By the way Royal shows were awesome! We saw two Broadway-style and Ice Show, all were great.

I like Disney, but the only show I really liked on Disney Dream was Golden Mickeys. The other ones felt kind of lame to me.

Enjoying your review. We are big fans of the Oasis class ships. We sailed the smaller Serenade last year for an amazing itinerary - probably our favorite cruise ever. I am a foodie :-) and I must say I have yet to find any cruise where I was blown away by the desserts! In fact, I always get a Mickey bar on DCL. As far as dining - we really like having the option of a dinner buffet (especially after a very long day in port). We like our own table and other than AP on DCL, we can take or leave the MDRs. (The Allure had the most amazing specialty restaurants - first time we've done that and will do it again!)

I guess desserts may be the hard part to accomplish! I do recall more dessert choices on DCL and some I enjoyed. I also recall an ice cream sundae choice each night. Can't go wrong with a sundae :)

I'm interested in that too, I always thought you NEVER let your passport out of your possession, especially in foreign countries.

That's exactly how I felt about leaving the passports. Very disconcerting and I said so at the port. We were told they needed to hold onto all non-EU passports and would give them back to us on last sea day. They gave a "receipt" that we used to pick them up. I felt like I had no choice but to hand them over. We also were heading out on our own in ports in foreign countries and yes it felt strange to do so without a passport.
They gave them back sooner than they said. On night of day 4 we were told we could pick them up next morning. So basically they had them for half the trip

Thanks for the report. I just read that IotS is going in for drydock in April and will be getting water slides, trampoline park, laser tag and an escape room.

As far as keeping passports, I don't know the exact rules/laws on it, but it is very common on some European itineraries for the cruise line to keep them, Carnival and NCL does it as well.

I look forward to reading the rest of your report.

I knew it was going into drydock. Didn't know it was getting all those updates. Good news! We played a game onboard similar to escape room. Hopefully I will remember to mention it...

That's exactly how I felt about leaving the passports. Very disconcerting and I said so at the port. We were told they needed to hold onto all non-EU passports and would give them back to us on last sea day. They gave a "receipt" that we used to pick them up.

I would have been asking for 2 things: A supervisor and a copy of the regulation/law that requires it. I've never heard of that kind of thing and since it doesn't appear to always happen, I'd want a real thorough explanation.

What did you love so much about the Serenade? We were considering sailing on her out of Boston.

I would have been asking for 2 things: A supervisor and a copy of the regulation/law that requires it. I've never heard of that kind of thing and since it doesn't appear to always happen, I'd want a real thorough explanation.
It happens on many European cruises, a good TA should be able to explain why. I forgot what the reason was when we were told about it or I'd quote it for you.

It happens on many European cruises, a good TA should be able to explain why. I forgot what the reason was when we were told about it or I'd quote it for you.

RCCL collected passports on our cruise out of Dubai. I believe it's to get the visa/stamps done quicker in bulk as opposed to having each individual passenger have to go through immigration/passport control. They were returned to us the night before we returned. We didn't have a problem with it, we photocopied them before we departed and had our copies with us.

A good TA would let their client know beforehand. But as not everyone uses a TA, the staff at the port should be prepared to give a reasonable explanation to people who inquire beyond "Just cause".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter