My son JUST turned 3 and we leave in 20 days....

Is telling your children that lying to get something for free something you really want to do?

I have a great story that gives a good example that the kids certainly do know what is going on.

We were sitting at the theatre waiting for Dinosaur to start when this little girl started a conversatin with my then almost 3 yr old DD. She was telling my DD that she 4 at home but 2 when they went out to see a movie.

I don't necessarily call this Lying, but just stretching the truth a bit. If he were 3 1/2 or 4, I wouldn't do it and buy him a ticket. But he has only been three for about 20 days. Also, when we planned this trip, my husband was employed in a great job. Last week, he got laid off. We have to go on the trip because it's been paid for. But money is tight now, especially surviving on a meager unemployment check. I'm sure Disney doesn't care to hear our sob story, and you might not care either, but any money I can save right now is worth it to me.

MarcyinPA,

I am sorry to hear about your husband's layoff... we were in that same position just 18 months ago. I hope he finds a good job soon.

It sounds like you have made up your mind about this issue with all due respect I disagree but it is your choice. All this aside I do hope your family has a good trip to WDW.:D

I'm in almost the same situation and have a question for everyone. My son will be almost 3, so we won't be buying an admission for him, but aren't there some attractions for the whole family that have FP's. And if so, how do I get a FP for him?

Thanks for your help with, what is I am sure, a basic question!

Originally posted by beattyfamily
My concern and frustration is having to pay for her meals because I KNOW she won't eat a thing! She's 27 lbs! Tiny! People are always telling me how tiny she is. Well, she doesn't eat! I don't mind paying at a character meal for the entertainment value but at other meals, it just doesn't seem worth it.

AMEN!!!

I also have a shrimp in the family. When her sister weighed her yesterday, dd age 4 proudly announced she's 30 lbs!!!!

I have started sharing meals with her when we go out to dinner. It's kind of fun because we look at the menu together and have a grown up disscussion about "what looks good to you". DH even gets in on the act ordering a salad or side we both like.

I agree, the charater meals are worth what you pay just for the magic! Otherwise......

I took my nephew 10 days after he turned 3, and he is large for his age. We did buy him a ticket. He was in his stroller when we went through the gate. I put his ticket in first and the CM IMMEDIATELY swung open the gate and said "Come on in, Welcome to the Magic Kingdom, have a great day!" I said, "wait, I have to put my ticket in too!" He said, "Oh, that first ticket was for this little man, I thought it was YOUR ticket." My nephew looked more like 4 1/2, NOT under 3, and that CM didn't expect him to have a ticket. So, had I not had him a ticket, no one would have known.

On another trip I took my TINY 29 lb. 4 1/2 year old goddaughter. We were having breakfast in Cinderella Castle and the waitress asked her "and little princess how old are you?" She proudly said "four." I think the waitress expected her to say "two" because she looked at me and whispered, "how old is she really?" I said, "she IS four." Yes, I paid $10 for her to eat half a Mickey waffle (which I knew I would), but that's okay, that whole meal experience was worth twice that!

DISJen,
When getting fast pass for something that you will all be riding as a family you won't need a fast pass for your son. He will just be allowed on with you :D . You just need a fast pass for each person who requires a ticket to get in the park. Have a great trip :D!

We did this last June. DS turned 3 just ten days before our trip (I couldn't make it before his BDay due to being a teacher). My concern was also food, because he is a light eater and still is. However, I think I sent the wrong message to my older kids--lying is OK if you get away with it (no one ever questioned us)--and I wish I'd bought him a ticket.
Robin M.

I am in the same exact boat. My DD turns 3 in August, just 10 days before we are going to Disneyland Paris. I will not be buying her a ticket. OTOH, we will be returning to WDW in December and I will buy her an AP when we purchase our own.

I went to Dinsey World I tried to buy a dult ticket for myself the Cm had a fit the child was paying adult ticket. Because i look like a nine year old. I'm actually a 28 year old woman. She ring me up for a child ticket no matter how much i tried to do the right thing. So sometimes people that tried to right get bash to. Welll that every where I go people think I'm child and thinks no different unless i tell them my age. I look that young.:D

I wouldn't buy the ticket. There will probably be many more times that you'll visit WDW and have to buy a ticket, I think this time is the exception. I know that most on this board don't agree with that, and I respect their opinions, but this is mine.

Originally posted by tinaluis
I wouldn't buy the ticket. There will probably be many more times that you'll visit WDW and have to buy a ticket,

There will be many many more times that you will buy gas, are you going to drive away next time without paying?

we bought a ticket last year - it was part of the package so we had no choice, but I have to say, it wasn' t put through the ticket machine very often. (DD was 3 1/2) - this year at 4 1/2 it was used everytime.

As for meals - we paid for character buffets, for the entertainment value - but otherwise, we ordered meals for myself and my dh and shared them with my dd - she doesn't eat much and it was just a waste to buy her a kids meal every time.

Bev

Personally I think it is wrong to not buy a ticket for a child over three, even if the child is only a little over three.

I don't think Disney has a problem with parents sharing meals with kids.... is there an official policy? My DS is 6 and a very light eater and we often shared meals when it was counter service but at character meals and sit downs we did order him a kid's meal.

we had no problem sharing meals even at sit downs - only exception was at Buffets, even non character buffets like Boma, and Ohana we paid for her - but we shared in the Plaza restaurant for example

Bev

WDW has no problem with people (adults or kids) sharing meals. Most of the resturants will even let an adult order off the kids menu if thye want to.

I don't think I could do it....however, we've planned our trips so that we're getting in 3 vacations this year while DD is 2 and won't be going again until she's over 3 1/2. And she's a big girl...over 30lbs. at 27mo. Thing is she's still got baby hair....so she looks younger! We'll be getting her first haircut at WDW next week, I think!

We're taking advantage of the buffets now too....I think we'll be skipping on them once she's 3 until she eats more!

My husband and I took our son to Disney 3 days before he was to turn 3. I went to Epcot to purchase his hopper pass. The man at the ticket window said, "how old is your son?" I proudly said he would be three in three days, and the Man looked at me and said,

"Please do not buy him a park hopper pass. He was not three when he started the trip. He does not need one. Save your money."

I just looked at him in shock and said OK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter