My son JUST turned 3 and we leave in 20 days....

marcyinPA

DIS Veteran
I'm sure you know where this is headed...kids under 3 are free....He is small for his age (looks 2) and will be in a stroller...

Has anyone here ever "snuck" their newly 3 year old in without a pass, and if so, did anyone ever stop you? How would they even know??

Also at the HoopDeDoo, I really can't see paying $20 something for a dinner for a "new 3" year old who eats NOTHING.

Don't bash me please, for dishonesty. I am just wondering. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been here!!

Can't really answer your question, but I had a friend with the same dilema a few years ago. They decided to take thier son 2 days BEFORE his 3rd birthday just so they wouldn't have to think about it. Don't know if this helps, we took DD when she was 2 1/2 so we were under the limit, but she is very articulate and acts about 20, no one ever asked for proof of age while we were there.

We took our son when he was one month shy of his 3rd birthday and no one questioned his age. He is very articulate, but small for his age.

The only time we were ever asked about our son's age was at a character meal last year (he was just going on 3 - though he looks older because he's tall). We were never asked at the park entrances though - it seemed to be pretty much on the honor system within reason.

My niece will have turned 3 only 3 days before our December trip and I have bought her a park ticket. I will say I thought about just "sneaking" her in considering the time and told my sister as such but I just couldn't bring myself to lie. Plus we are going to be celebrating her birthday and I want her to be excited to be 3. Just the other side of the coin I guess.

Marcy,
I'm in the same situation. DD will be 3 years and 3 weeks on the first day of our next trip. I have read other threads in the past where CM's have asked the child how old they are. I know my DD would say "three." DD is also pretty tall for her age.

We decided that we will be buying park passes for her.

Our daughter just turned 10, and I purchased the child pass. Again, small for her age. No one is likely to say anything. It's just personal preference. We had just come off a disney cruise where 10 was a child, and I had a hard time saying 10 is an adult. But do what's comfortable for you.

I think it is important to be honest.... set the good example for your own family even if others don't.... JMHO! We paid for DS when he was 3yrs. and 4 months even though he could have passed for younger. Some ask "who would have known?"... well I would.:)

A Very Happy Birthday to your Son and I hope you have a Magical Stay. :wave:

Personally, I would really want to get my barely three year old in without a ticket--I totally see where you are coming from! However, as another poster mentioned, I would be concerned that the CM would ask the child how old they were. or ask me within their hearing and I couldn't let my kids see me be dishonest.

I grew up very close to Disneyland and one of my older sisters and her BF took me when I was just a monht or so past my third birhtday. The whole day before they kept trying to convince me to tell people I was two and I would say, "NO, I'm three! I'm three!" They bought the ticket!

My tall for his age 9 year old was asked several times through out the stay how old he was. He was asked at character meals and at the gate by a CM just making conversation as we waited to open the gates. We had proof of his age just in case but it was never asked for.He will get an adult ticket for our trip next year.BTW-10 is an adult in Disney's eyes.

Jordan'smom

I suppose Disney thinks a 10 year old can do just about all the attractions an adult can. Or in my case my DD age 9 did more than I did since I chickened out on RRC! LOL!

Hey Vicb,

I agree and not complaining at all. DS(9) does a lot more that DH (43).He does almost nothing that a child under 40 inches can not do. Do you think they will let me get him a childs ticket? LOL.

jordan's mom

In my family we are well matched, DS age 6 and I are the least brave, DH and DD age 9 are fearless! You're right I need the child ticket more than her!:D

I am very honest so could never do it, but even if I considered it, I think it would ruin the trip for me, worrying that someone would ask my child's age. My kids always know EXACTLY how old they are and would not hesitate to tell someone. Most just-turned 3 year olds are very proud of their new milestone. I would just bite the bullet, buy the ticket and celebrate his recent birthday.

That's a tough one, you are not alone, I would be tempted too! We are going in June and my son is going to be 3 in August so we are all set there. However, he is very articulate for his age and will tell anyone who will listen that he is 3 and will argue with you if you try to tell him he's still only 2! Of course, sometimes he says he's 5 also, trying to be like his big brother. :p But I still have this fear that a CM will ask him and he'll say 3 and they'll think I'm cheating them - but I swear, he's still only 2! Maybe I should bring some proof with me?

I'd buy the ticket -not just for the honesty factor - but because I'd be mortified getting caught....

at buffets.... I have heard other posters say that they have talked to the CM at some of the buffets and asked if the server could monitor the amount of food the child eats - if its virtually nothing some of the servers have agreed not to charge them.... you probably cant do that when its busy - but its worth asking

my quads will be turning 3 in sept. we just got back in may with no problems. we're returning the week of july 4th. do i bring id just in case? the kids are tiny....not much bigger then their one year old brother( he's a big boy..lol)! we were actually going to go for their 3rd birthday but our annual passes expire sept 8th and their bday is the 15th! that would mean renew mine and my husbands and buy 4 new passes! only our 1 year old would be free! ouch! but maybe i should bring all four birth cert. just incase.

I wouldn't worry about it. My DS was 3 1/2, we bought him a ticket and 4 out of the 5 days, the CM's refused to put his ticket thru the machine even though I handed it to them with mine while we went thru the stroller gate. We still have 4 days of a 5 day hopper left over. :)

Glad to see this thead stayed civil! It can get nasty and judgemental when it's this topic.

I'm in the same boat; our DD will turn 3 on October 8 and we're going October 26.

I bought her her own MNSSHP ticket and the CM on the phone thanked me for my honesty. I actually corrected her when she was plugging in the info. She said that's a rare thing.

I've also already bought the passes including our then 3 year old. I would feel just terrible if anyone asked my children their ages (I have a 6 year old DD too). Although my 2 1/2 year old is tiny, I just couldn't do it and my husband wouldn't let me anyway even if I were tempted. Dont' get me wrong, it was hard parting with the cash but I did it.

I look at it this way, we chose to go after her birthday so we should pay. Disney does have to have a cutoff on passes at some point and they chose under 3 for free and 10 and above, an adult rate.

Really, kids at WDW can go on so many rides compared to other amusement parks especially once they're over 5. My 6 DD went on all the mountains and ToT and Test Track!!

My concern and frustration is having to pay for her meals because I KNOW she won't eat a thing! She's 27 lbs! Tiny! People are always telling me how tiny she is. Well, she doesn't eat! I don't mind paying at a character meal for the entertainment value but at other meals, it just doesn't seem worth it. We'll see what happens.

Have a great trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter