My theory on some of the SSR detractors.

I don't think it's necessarily self-interest or fear that prompts someone to point out that the DVC resorts are each getting smaller, smaller, and smaller with each new construction. That's just a fact. Like any business in today's age, Disney has found ways to trim, as if feeding their floorplans some of Alice's magic potion: If you build it smaller - they will still come. Make smaller rooms. Have fewer closets. Smaller balcony. Smaller counterspace. Smaller appliances. Use a double sleeper sofa in the room instead of a second big queen bed. In BWV, they made no dedicated 2Brs. In VWL and BCV, they made no GVs. DVC changed things as they went - and for some, change is different -- to be tried and thoughtfully considered for its own merits. For others -- change is bad, to be avoided, or scorned.

If you loved SNickers candy bars, and you found out you were getting a Snickers bar, but you opened it only to learn at first bite that the peanuts had been taken out -- would you complain that they had given you a defective Snickers bar and quality control was lacking? Or would you marvel at their ingenuity and say, "This is so cool! I think I'll call it a Mars Bar! Yummm! It's got nougat -- and caramel - and chocolate! I LOVE that!" If someone then complained to you, "Yeah, well, it USED to have these GREAT peanuts in it! You should really try the SNickers and then yuo would see how you've been robbed on your purchase -- it was worth more with the peanuts in there, you know. Peanouts have protein and they have a good crunch to them, too."

You might be inclined to say, "Really? Tell me about these missing nuts! Perhaps I would like them!" Or... would you instead say, "Snickers? Peanuts? Aww, who needed THEM? Nuts are SO yesterday! Look at what I have -- it's perfect without any peanuts! The peanuts would have been overkill...ANd it takes so long to chew them, and they get stuck in my teeth, and they make the roof of my mouth itch, and...." Etc. Etc. ETC.

You get the idea. When it comes to personal preferences and change - some folks go nuts. :rolleyes:

Wherever Disney elects to change things -- they run the inevitable risk of making some people upset, some people happy. Can't please all the members all the time.... (unless of course they turned our membership cards into lifetime PAPs, LOL... I'm not seeing a downside to that one, though (a) it's a company-costly pipedream and (b) there's a critic just waiting to ignite me for some reason out there right now -- I feel it!)

As for thinking that SSR in any way changes my "investment" value -- well, it's like I tell my baseball-card fanatic DH -- those cards aren't worth a nickel UNLESS you actually sell them. Thye can acrue whatever value they want in their little shoeboxes -- but unless you SELL them, what does it net you,financially? He collects the cards because he loves them, loves owning that piece of baseball history. Just like we also love our DVC for the happiness and vacation memories it is providing us. Nether of us could sell (the cards OR the DVC!) What SSR does to my "resale" value doesn't matter to me. But honestly -- SSR is selling on resale boards in many cases for less per pt than my BWV "investment". And I bought my BWV at 65 per pt. I don't see how it has impacted my resale ability "negatively" at all. And like I said, I wouldn't care even if it had. So long as I still get my DVC vacations, I'm good to go! :earboy2: I also find it hard to believe DVC members are upset because with SSR, the exclusive "club" has expanded. I have never met a bigger group of eager "recruiters" than within DVC! It's like they all just found Ponce DeLeon's springs and they wanna SHARRRRE them with you! If a bunch of folks want to buy an interest in SSR -- that's just more happy sheep in the flock : Welcome Home! And if there ARE folks that DO feel the club has been "infiltrated" and cheapened somehow as a result of SSR -- well, those would be the black sheep, few and far between. My experiences with fellow DVCers have been multifold toward the positive end of the spectrum. SSRs not welcome in DVC? Baaaaaaaaa humbug.

JMHO, YMMV and all those Nomex* acronyms....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter