My Trip to the 2013 D23 Expo - That's a Wrap!

Wow what a fantastic experience that must of been. I would have been in tears at music from The Little Mermaid my fav movie! My first cinema visit as a child was my Mum and Dad taking me to see Bedknobs and Broomsticks but it was sold out. So we went to see an unknown movie at the time called 'Starwars' lol. My parents had to take me to see it 4 times! It was that day my obsession begun! I did later see and enjoy Bedknobs and Brooksticks.

What a shame you had to miss the StarWars concert but at these events you always have these impossible choices! The Sherman/Menken concert was not to be missed glad you managed to capture most of your fav elements on video.

It was nice they played music from Tangled I really enjoyed that movie. Quite underrated me thinks. Of course Beauty and The Beast lovely! Interesting what he shared about the opening scene. It's one of my fav opening Disney movie scenes. I watch it as a comfort when I feel really unwell. Never fails to disappoint.

I can't listen to any of the clips now since i'm at work, but there are some I definitely want to listen to!

I'm going to say that Tim referenced the converstaion he had with you:thumbsup2 What is so neat is that Alan Menken is both my childhood and adulthood!

I still remember the day when I mentioned my cats name was Thomas O'Malley and you said that it wasn't his complete name. Every now and then when people ask for his name we'll say his full name now thanks to you! Then I get this strange look, like, seriously? You named your cat that? Could you imagine if I ever took him to the vet and put that name down!?:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Tuppance a bag is one of my favorite songs! I think that's cool that it was one of Walts favorites too.

I have never seen Home on the Range before. Never really heard much about it, but I need to see it now.

Alison, what a night, that was truly amazing. These experiences are once in a life time and to be able to sit and enjoy and bring us along for the ride is incredible. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to share all of this with us!

Thank you very much.

I have chills from reading about that concert! You guys are so lucky to have gotten to witness such an event!

Jill in CO

I know! :goodvibes

The Star Wars shirt is neat. Not that I do not love sliders (because I do), but it is disappointing that so little selection remained upon your arrival.

Of all of the events I've read about thus far, this is by far my favorite. You have convinced me that I MUST attend the next expo. Those guys are the soundtrack to my life! I always say that music is what makes the movies great, and those are all wonderful songs.

I sometimes get emotional at Disney too. It was nice to hear Sherman say Walt felt the same way. Disney is just so much more magical than any other park.

You really should go, and I think you would be smart to have Crap take the kids to the park. Otherwise you will be waiting in lines for everything they want to do and not get to see any of the adult oriented seminars and offerings.

It is nice to read your experience during Richard Sherman/Alan Menken concert at the D23 Arena. It was neat that you were able to videotape the concert while I just used my DSLR to take pictures. That was an amazing day on Saturday from all those different seminars at the D23 Arena from Let the Adventures Begin: Live Action at the Walt Disney Studios (which I didn't attend but my DA enjoyed it), Disney Legends Ceremony and the Richard Sherman/Alan Menken concert.

The Richard Sherman and Alan Menken concert that night was a lot of fun and glad that we got to see it. I remember when my DA and I just watched the Disney Legends Ceremony and leaving like everyone else, the queue for the Sherman/Menken concert had a long queue that we were worried that we would not be able to watch the event live and be in the side room. Luckily we were able to see the concert in the arena.

You will like the D23 Expo a lot Kim.

I'm so glad you and your DA got to see the show it was amazing!

Thanks for sharing a detailed run down of the concert. I have watched some of the videos. I love the photos of all the art work.

Corinna

These shows have always been incredible, they just keep getting better and better.

Thank you for all the hard work you did in posting all of those pictures and video clips from the concert! Of course we both saw Richard Sherman perform at the D23 event at Walt Disney World in 2011 which was a huge honor, but I have yet to meet Alan Menken. I hope I get a chance to someday!

By the way, "Tangled" is one of my favorites too!

Robert

I hope that you get to see Alan Menken someday, he was awesome!

Wow, what an event! I had an inkling what they would sing in the grand finale with what he prefaced it with :rotfl: thanks for posting all those clips. I didn't listen to them all, some of the songs I don't care for, but what fun.

I got choked up with Walt saying it happened to him too, how precious!

So with the sorcerers pass did you have a guaranteed seat?

Some of the songs you don't care for! :eek: Well, I guess there were a few I wasn't as into as well, but I love most of these songs even if I didn't record them. Yes, Sorcerers have guaranteed seat, you just have to be there 15 minutes before the start time, but people had begun queuing up for this quite early even as Sorcerers. As I said we skipped the Star Wars thing at 5PM so that we could get in line for the Menken/Sherman Concert and not be too late. We could have seen the Star Wars thing and then been farther back, but still had a seat. However, we had an end seat and we might not have had that if we waited until too late to queue up.

Alison! I've been impatiently waiting for an opportunity to sit down and enjoy this whole post from end to end; complete with all the video feeds. It's taken me all this time to find a free afternoon. But it was so worth the wait.

Thank you. Thank you. I'm so enjoying all the video clips and listening to all the music of my life being played and sung by their composers.

I'm glad that I was able to share it with you! :goodvibes

Thank for sharing this Alison. :goodvibes

:thumbsup2

Wow what a fantastic experience that must of been. I would have been in tears at music from The Little Mermaid my fav movie! My first cinema visit as a child was my Mum and Dad taking me to see Bedknobs and Broomsticks but it was sold out. So we went to see an unknown movie at the time called 'Starwars' lol. My parents had to take me to see it 4 times! It was that day my obsession begun! I did later see and enjoy Bedknobs and Brooksticks.

What a shame you had to miss the StarWars concert but at these events you always have these impossible choices! The Sherman/Menken concert was not to be missed glad you managed to capture most of your fav elements on video.

It was nice they played music from Tangled I really enjoyed that movie. Quite underrated me thinks. Of course Beauty and The Beast lovely! Interesting what he shared about the opening scene. It's one of my fav opening Disney movie scenes. I watch it as a comfort when I feel really unwell. Never fails to disappoint.

I was in tears for most of the show. Just about every one of these movies is so near and dear to my heart that I couldn't help but cry like a baby for each of the shows!

I can't listen to any of the clips now since i'm at work, but there are some I definitely want to listen to!

I'm going to say that Tim referenced the converstaion he had with you:thumbsup2 What is so neat is that Alan Menken is both my childhood and adulthood!

I still remember the day when I mentioned my cats name was Thomas O'Malley and you said that it wasn't his complete name. Every now and then when people ask for his name we'll say his full name now thanks to you! Then I get this strange look, like, seriously? You named your cat that? Could you imagine if I ever took him to the vet and put that name down!?:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Tuppance a bag is one of my favorite songs! I think that's cool that it was one of Walts favorites too.

I have never seen Home on the Range before. Never really heard much about it, but I need to see it now.

Thanks! I was kind of hoping that I might have helped him out in some way with his opening line. You're definitely dating yourself to say that Alan Menken was both your childhood AND adulthood!

I hope you had a chance to listen to some of the clips at home. I can't believe you didn't know his whole name! I don't know how I memorized that little part of the song, but we sang it over and over as kids after the movie. I don't know how we remembered it!

Alison, what a night, that was truly amazing. These experiences are once in a life time and to be able to sit and enjoy and bring us along for the ride is incredible. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to share all of this with us!

Thank you very much.

It was very cool! :goodvibes

I know, sacrilege right? I never fast forward or anything, but some songs are just not 'sing along' for me.

Expo Day 3, August 11, 2013

So unless you have been to an event so amazing as the D23 Expo you might not understand what I'm about to tell you. Perhaps you all might even think I'm completely crazy! But there comes a point in the human brain and body that you have had so many INCREDIBLE experiences, that you just can't take any more stimulation of the mind. You have been overentertained. That is how we both felt when we woke up Sunday morning.

We were so tired from sitting in rooms paying attention all day Friday and Saturday. So we decided that even though we were scheduled to see the seminar with Alice Davis, Bob Gurr and a few other old school imagineers, we were going to take our time and not rush around crazy. Afterall we were here to enjoy ourselves. Besides we had seen most of the folks in the first seminar several times before.

Though neither of us can remember anymore, we probably had our standard breakfast of yogurt and V8 before making our way to the convention center. We went up to the Sorcerer's lounge and booked ourselves a little bit of relaxation, but we would have to wait about an hour.

My pictures tell me that we went to the Dream store via the show floor next. We walked past these exhibits on our way. They had unveiled this “Tomorrowland” exhibit following the Live Action Presentation which talked about it. We thought about checking it out, but the line was always too long.

Planes had an area. Fran promised me that we would see the movie in theaters and now it’s out on DVD. I guess it was a dud, but I still would have liked to have seen it! :idea: Something for my Christmas List!

Once we made it to the Dream Store, she had me take a couple shots. These series of HM pictures were all done by the same artist. We purchased this one since its "our" mansion. Fran wanted this other ones, but I had to remind her that even with the new house we still have very limited wall space. We bought this on the preview day.

By this time our appointment time had come up and we headed back upstairs to the Sorcerer's package check area. You see our check in package included this bad boy.

You see they had a little room set up specifically for the Sorcerer’s to get 20 minute chair massages. I’m sure the first two days were fairly unbusy, but this last day, they were pretty full most of the day. The empty chairs were the ones that Fran and I had just vacated.

After the massage it was back to the Dream Store. Today Fran wanted Maleficent. I think this was the last copy of this picture. I’m not sure why we couldn’t buy it when we were there earlier, but they rung us up for it and I think they shipped it to us, because I don’t remember carrying it around all day. We could have checked it at the Sorcerer’s Lounge and picked it up later too.

Then it was back to the collector’s forum. Fran had pointed out a booth to me the day before and I was not sure whether I really wanted anything from there. After a night to sleep on it, I changed my mind. We headed to the Harvey Store.

I knew that Brandi wanted this one of Mickey and Minnie in the Center.

I had to choose between all these.

And eventually went with….

Selections in hand, we were off again! This picture is for you Paula, I know it’s blurry, but I think this was the lady that you wanted to see and get her autograph.

That painting of Maleficent is absolutely gorgeous!!!

I haven't heard much about Planes. I thought the previews looked great, I still want to see it.

I love the hitchhiking ghost picture and Maleficent.

Awesome bags! So envious. They are all gorgeous. And I hope you enjoyed the massage.

We saw Planes on the plane...I think it was on the way home. It was okay and I will want to see it again on a bigger screen.

I agree that the experience sounds fantastic. While I doubt I would do the Sorcerer's Package, I think it would be worth it to go in general admission. Planes was a great movie in my opinion. Hopefully, you like it when you watch it.

The picture is super cool. I like the purse you selected.

Love the 2 paintings. They will look great in the new house! Yay for massages! Sometimes that's all it takes to get going again. I like the purses too.

Jill in CO

Love the artwork! The HM picture is awesome.

What do you mean you don't remember what you ate for breakfast in August? :rotfl:

That painting of Maleficent is absolutely gorgeous!!!

I haven't heard much about Planes. I thought the previews looked great, I still want to see it.

It went to video pretty fast which is a sign that it wasn't that well received. Too bad, the concept was cute.

I love the hitchhiking ghost picture and Maleficent.

Awesome bags! So envious. They are all gorgeous. And I hope you enjoyed the massage.

We saw Planes on the plane...I think it was on the way home. It was okay and I will want to see it again on a bigger screen.

I can't wait to dig out those pictures and put them on the walls!

The Jack & Sally bag is the last "new" one that I have yet to use. It's now living at the new house, so it may be a while before I switch to that one. I need to stop getting new bags and reusing some of the old ones.

The massage made all the difference in the world, it was only 20 minutes, but boy! did it change our outlook!

I agree that the experience sounds fantastic. While I doubt I would do the Sorcerer's Package, I think it would be worth it to go in general admission. Planes was a great movie in my opinion. Hopefully, you like it when you watch it.

The picture is super cool. I like the purse you selected.

General admission is definitely worth it. If you do the Sorcerer's pass you need to dedicate yourself to the event, with kids, I'm not sure you could do that unless you had a "pass for the weekend" away from the kids.

Love the 2 paintings. They will look great in the new house! Yay for massages! Sometimes that's all it takes to get going again. I like the purses too.

Jill in CO

Yes, I just hope we can find space for them. Fran is now saying that we will sell the "less desireable paintings", so I guess we'll have quite an eBay sale at some point!

And yes the massages made everything all better.

Love the artwork! The HM picture is awesome.

What do you mean you don't remember what you ate for breakfast in August? :rotfl:

I'm having trouble with my TR for October, I have a pan of bacon and can't remember if we just ate bacon or had real breakfast!

I looks like you had another good shopping day. The painting is stunning.

Corinna

Thanks! :goodvibes

OK so I have some breaking Si and Am news!!!!!!!!

You all remember the debacle with the auction for Si and Am at the Expo. Well, I'm not sure "when", but Fran met this guy online. No, no, no, not what you are thinking. :rotfl2: In fact we think he might even be "family" from some of the pictures he has shared with us. He is an art dealer and she has purchased a few paintings from him. Since he knows she is a hot buyer, he keeps contacting her with new items.

Well today he sent her this photo.

You all remember what she went through to not get Si and Am at the Expo, well these two are available at less than a quarter of the price that the crazy lady who bid out of this world to get the Si and Am figures. She's already agreed to purchase them and they will fit perfectly on the top of some of our cabinets, so it's a win win situation!

Good things come to those who wait!

Great news about Si and Am. And at 75% the auction price? Bargain!

Very nice update Alison. The paintings at the Dream Store were all very nice and fun to look at. The Maleficent painting is a very nice one.

Kim - I agree with Alison that getting general admission tickets for the D23 Expo is worth it if you and your family are planning on going in 2015. They will have a fun time enjoying the activities at the D23 Expo.

That is great news to hear that Fran will be able to get the Si and Am figures. I remember really well during the Expo that she wanted to get those figures.

That is fantastic. I am so glad Fran got them after all and the discounted price is always a good thing.

Thanks Bret and Alison,

I would only invest in the Sorcerer's Package if I went alone. It is a large investment for more than one ticket, especially because it would be hard to get the value with the kids. Crap decided he will take the kids to the park while I attend the expo, so I will be solo. We can buy them general admission tickets, so they can attend an event here or there. Odds are I will likely buy general admission tickets too.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thank you so much for the picture of Paige! What a great shot as well you got so close faint! You are too kind to take that for me.

Oh I totally get that re hit the wall re stimulation. I call it pleasure overload! You just can't absorb anymore. How wonderful you had your massage and what a welcome part of the package! Well worth getting online early to get those passes. Like the gift that keeps giving!

I am over the moon re your Si and Am fate. What a result talk about meant to be. Those kitties are coming home! Love the HM pic and that bag! :-) lovely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter