• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Napa Rose first time, any tips?

gottalovepluto

DIS Veteran
We're doing Napa Rose for dinner for the first time next month (not the chefs table, just a normal dinner). We have our reservation, the menu looks amazing & we think we'll dress up a bit (slacks, blouses). Any tips? Do you arrive before your reservation and have cocktails in the lounge like at Carthay or is the lounge a madhouse? Are the meals large? I want to make sure to leave room for dessert so I'm wondering if we need to think about splitting dishes (if that's even a thing at Napa Rose). Are the wait staff wine recommendations good? I'm really excited to be trying Napa Rose for the first time but I have all my favorite tips and tricks for other Disneyland restaurants and feel a bit lost not knowing anything about this one.

We're doing Napa Rose for dinner for the first time next month (not the chefs table, just a normal dinner). We have our reservation, the menu looks amazing & we think we'll dress up a bit (slacks, blouses). Any tips? Do you arrive before your reservation and have cocktails in the lounge like at Carthay or is the lounge a madhouse? Are the meals large? I want to make sure to leave room for dessert so I'm wondering if we need to think about splitting dishes (if that's even a thing at Napa Rose). Are the wait staff wine recommendations good? I'm really excited to be trying Napa Rose for the first time but I have all my favorite tips and tricks for other Disneyland restaurants and feel a bit lost not knowing anything about this one.

Don't overthink it. Just enjoy. The lounge is always crowded and if you have a reservation, no need to go there first. Just order drinks at the table. Your server will appreciate the larger tab. ;) They will not rush you through a meal there so take your time.

I can highly recommend the Kate & Ella cocktail. Probably my favorite cocktail anywhere! I also recommend ordering a starter to share and salads. The entrees aren't huge portions, so we always get our own. Desserts are shareable. Definitely don't skip dessert! They are always SO good and just beautiful presentations.

We have eaten at Napa Rose a number of times and have had very uneven service experiences. On two occasions, we've had incredible, outstanding servers. On two occasions, we've had really sub-par servers. The other times have been somewhere in between. The last time we ate there (in November), I was with my mother and sister - my mom had recently found out her cancer was terminal and ended treatment, and this was a "bucket list" item. Unfortunately, this was one of the times that we had a poor server. We waited ages to ever see him, and then we ended up ordering a grouping of nine different appetizers, salads, and one main course - this is something we commonly do at high-end restaurants so we can try a lot of items, which was the goal for my mom.

He brought all nine things simultaneously. There wasn't room on the table, and half of them were ice cold before we got a single bite - you can't eat nine things at once! That's just... weird... not something I've ever had happen before here or at any restaurant, and not good service. Even if he somehow mistakenly thought that's what we wanted (which shouldn't be the case), he should have discussed with us. He was also stymied by my mom and my sister asking what options were for "fun, non-alcoholic drinks" - he couldn't offer anything, so my sister ordered a Shirley Temple and my mom just got water. It was still a nice enough time overall, just kind of a bummer that we pulled a poor server on this particular occasion.

Sooo, my takeaway from that is that I shouldn't count on the service being excellent (although it often is), and I should be explicit with the service about what I want! I also suggest potentially trying several appetizers/salads/soups and splitting the mains - we enjoy more tastes! Just be clear not to bring all the courses at once...

@Skyegirl1999: I am so sorry your last time at NR was such a poor experience. Please send in a comment about your server and exactly what went wrong. That sounds really unusual (maybe he was new?) and unlike anyone we've ever had in the main dining room. In future, you can request not to be in his section. We have a list of several servers we prefer to have and several we prefer not to have. I always repeat this to the desk when we check in. (It's not personal -- I give reasons why we would rather not have those servers, and the hostess never seats us in those sections.)
For the OP: don't be afraid to ask any and all questions! We learn so much at NR and our servers learn what we like and how we like it. Especially when it comes to wine, the more information the sommeliers have about your individual taste and preferences, the better they can help you. And if something doesn't suit you, don't be afraid to speak up right away.

gottalovepluto, I do not doubt DLgal's experience with the lounge being busy. I just wanted to provide our experience which has been different. We have been going once a year at different times (summer, Christmas vacation, President's week, Spring Break) and hit the lounge for drinks and food or just drinks about 4 times a trip and have never had any problems getting a table in the lounge. The bar has very limited seating (about 8 spots?), so that is sometimes a problem. When it has been, we sat at one of the buddy bars or in the comfy chairs in the lounge. As DLgal said, you can certainly order your drinks at your table. I know some people like to start with a cocktail in the lounge and take it to their table when ready and some do not. Although not suggested or required, we have seen many do this without issue. Also, I agree that the portioning is not large. We usually go with four adults and split a two salads and two appetizers and order one entree a person and share amongst the table. I really enjoy the Smiling Tiger Salad and all of the entrees I've tried. My favorite on menu drink is probably the Swizzled Monk. I hope you have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter