NBA at Walt Disney World

Well they could at the very least use a standard court and change our sections for logos and such. You do also have three buildings to use at WWoS. They likely would stagger start times if teams are playing at the same time so that would also stagger court changes. This is a compromise for all so they likely want to make the players feel as comfortable as possible. The NBA is more player driven than any other league really.

Not to mention there very well coukd be a difference between the court at espn and those the nba use. The bigger issue with this is would be if the espn floor is removable or permanent.

It's also not weird for this type of stuff. No idea if it still exists, but back in the early 2000s when they were still playing davis cup tennis the players could decide what court they used at the us host venue. They used the court we used in san jose, so it got shipped to the venue, forget where, amd as installed as it would have been in san jose.

I would also think if they dont have emp used to turn over they could get people at least from the orlando arena to assist if not other places. It doesn't take long as long as espn is able to be changed out. I never paid attention to what I was walking on at race expos to know of it was the bare floor or a cover over the court.

Well that's certainly a new wrinkle. I still don't see how they maintain a "bubble" or "campus" or whatever they call it at any of the resorts that have to be open for DVC, which eliminates almost all of the other reasonable choices. It will certainly be interesting - and I'm sure this is going to lead to a couple days of message board/social media melting down in the Disneysphere. I suppose there's still the possibility that players don't have to stay within the "bubble" (I believe Jared Dudley said it a couple weeks ago and he's the alternate union players' rep for the Lakers). If it's more of an open situation, then having them at more than one resort makes sense. I just think it's a bad idea and would hate to see an important player test positive and really impact the playoffs.

Cue the meltdown is right! I was always in the CSR camp - plenty of rooms and suites (some of them quite large), convention space, a brand new tower, restaurants, pools, recreation, unaccessible from other resorts - it would create an actual "bubble". It's also easier, IMHO, to walk only the CSR guests and offer them some sort of upgrade to make them feel like valued guests.

If NBA teams are literally allowed to pick which hotel they stay in and they bump general guests because of it, it's going to cause a lot of ill will. Especially when Disney's own announcements have noted any closures will be due to government and health authority directives, not NBA player whims. It really is saying accommodating the NBA is more important than accommodating their regular guests. WDW is already going to have issues with guest recovery given what is going on with reservations being canceled, rumors of resort consolidations, etc. This isn't going to help. I really hope this isn't true.

. . .
If NBA teams are literally allowed to pick which hotel they stay in and they bump general guests . . .
I didn't read it to be to that extreme though. I read it that they may use more than one resort, and from those resorts they would allow choices. Heck, it could even be simpler - they get to choose Destino vs. regular Coronado, but that doesn't seem like much of a "choice" - kind of a no-brainer.

Cue the meltdown is right! I was always in the CSR camp - plenty of rooms and suites (some of them quite large), convention space, a brand new tower, restaurants, pools, recreation, unaccessible from other resorts - it would create an actual "bubble". It's also easier, IMHO, to walk only the CSR guests and offer them some sort of upgrade to make them feel like valued guests.

If NBA teams are literally allowed to pick which hotel they stay in and they bump general guests because of it, it's going to cause a lot of ill will. Especially when Disney's own announcements have noted any closures will be due to government and health authority directives, not NBA player whims. It really is saying accommodating the NBA is more important than accommodating their regular guests. WDW is already going to have issues with guest recovery given what is going on with reservations being canceled, rumors of resort consolidations, etc. This isn't going to help. I really hope this isn't true.
Rightfully so.

Also worth mentioning that some DVC resorts (I.e. AKL and Riviera) have separate buildings or wings (i.e. Jambo and Riviera west wing) that could be conducive to the NBA. Currently on the DVC booking site, neither Jambo nor Riviera are bookable for even a one night stay from mid-July to mid-Aug. These appear to be the only DVC resorts with this restricted availability. I guess we’ll know soon enough!

The important thing is nothing has been proposed and nothing is expected to pass. The most I'd expect is if they decide they need more then one resort sure let higher seeds decide which resort they get but in that case likely looking at 2 resorts at most (may 3 if they used both POs).

Not something it sounds like to freak out over. Just things teams want but are unlikely to get.

Also worth mentioning that some DVC resorts (I.e. AKL and Riviera) have separate buildings or wings (i.e. Jambo and Riviera west wing) that could be conducive to the NBA. Currently on the DVC booking site, neither Jambo nor Riviera are bookable for even a one night stay from mid-July to mid-Aug. These appear to be the only DVC resorts with this restricted availability. I guess we’ll know soon enough!

The issue with DVC is that timeshare laws would apply. Technically Disney only owns a certain percentage of the capacity at DVC resorts and they can't give away member rooms even if empty. (Or only at a very late stage, like 24-48 hours out, iirc.) It would cause a huge legal headache to use a DVC resort. Perhaps there is a loophole that exists with Riviera because the ownership points aren't sold out?

The important thing is nothing has been proposed and nothing is expected to pass. The most I'd expect is if they decide they need more then one resort sure let higher seeds decide which resort they get but in that case likely looking at 2 resorts at most (may 3 if they used both POs).

Not something it sounds like to freak out over. Just things teams want but are unlikely to get.
Yeah, I'll add that my discussion was more just based on the idea - I actually don't believe it's something that is very likely at all. There have been a ton of rumors/ideas thrown out there by media/analysts, etc. on ways to try to reward higher seeds, particularly the Bucks and Lakers who worked to earn #1 seeds, since the "only" benefit now is who they play and no home court, etc. The majority of those ideas are probably not even being considered or not seriously considered by the NBA (heard one, that was at least somewhat made jokingly if not completely tongue-in-cheek, that #1 seeds could start the first round with a 1-0 game lead). It's another reason though (besides Adam Silver trying to reduce any "asterisk" arguments for this season) that they will do full 7-game series - without home court, they don't want to give any additional disadvantage/risk to the top seeds to potentially get upset in the first round. Longer series favor the better teams. The smaller the sample size (single game, best of 3, best of 5, etc.), the greater chance of an upset.

The issue with DVC is that timeshare laws would apply. Technically Disney only owns a certain percentage of the capacity at DVC resorts and they can't give away member rooms even if empty. (Or only at a very late stage, like 24-48 hours out, iirc.) It would cause a huge legal headache to use a DVC resort. Perhaps there is a loophole that exists with Riviera because the ownership points aren't sold out?
It’s not a loophole. Currently just under 36% of Riviera is declared into DVC. The remainder belongs to Disney to use as they wish.

interesting tweet about how much those fromt he NBA staying at Disney will need to stay in the "bubble" (or not)

"Life in the NBA bubble will be governed by a set of safety protocols. While players and coaches will be allowed to golf or eat at outdoor restaurants, they will also need to maintain social distancing, sources told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne.

Likewise, employees at the Disney resort will have to maintain similar protocols. For example, no staff will be allowed into players' rooms, while hallways will be carefully managed to avoid crowding, sources told Shelburne."

The issue with DVC is that timeshare laws would apply. Technically Disney only owns a certain percentage of the capacity at DVC resorts and they can't give away member rooms even if empty. (Or only at a very late stage, like 24-48 hours out, iirc.)

Villas which are unbooked by members 60 days prior to arrival can be made available to cash guests. It's called "breakage."

Since Kidani and Jambo are part of the same Condominium Association, there may be some technical wiggle room Disney could use to move everyone out of Jambo. A combination of Disney's own room inventory, availability created by member trades and breakage. It wouldn't be popular with owners since many prefer Jambo over Kidani. But it may not be "illegal" per se.

Villas which are unbooked by members 60 days prior to arrival can be made available to cash guests. It's called "breakage."

Since Kidani and Jambo are part of the same Condominium Association, there may be some technical wiggle room Disney could use to move everyone out of Jambo. A combination of Disney's own room inventory, availability created by member trades and breakage. It wouldn't be popular with owners since many prefer Jambo over Kidani. But it may not be "illegal" per se.
I think not being able to book Jambo House is intentional. Disney has food offerings and a pool at Kidani so that won’t be a problem to keep DVC there. I’m not sure that the NBA or MLS would use it either.

Totally makes sense. I completely forgot the details on breakage -- I bought my first contract in 2001 so it's been a while!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter