• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need a new washer......help me!

lukenick1

DIS Veteran
Currently have a 10 year old Kenmore front load washer. It smells so bad and I honestly think it has mold that is making my family sick. I had my mind made up to buy a top load machine because I don't want to ever have to deal with the moldy smell of a front loader but I am reading reviews of the new water saving technology isn't getting the clothes clean enough and not what I am used to with the old style top load machine filling up with water. Plus I am reading the cycles take way too long. I am not opposed to a front loader but worry about the mold. Can anyone help me decide? I also do not want to spend a ton of money so the fancy duo's are not an option. $800 is my max. Thanks

Our water saving washer has an override to "superfill". Any time we run it with that turned off, there's soap residue left on the sides of the drum. I wouldn't buy one without that feature these days. Also, see if there are any models left with an agitator. I think they do a better job cleaning.

Currently have a 10 year old Kenmore front load washer. It smells so bad and I honestly think it has mold that is making my family sick. I had my mind made up to buy a top load machine because I don't want to ever have to deal with the moldy smell of a front loader but I am reading reviews of the new water saving technology isn't getting the clothes clean enough and not what I am used to with the old style top load machine filling up with water. Plus I am reading the cycles take way too long. I am not opposed to a front loader but worry about the mold. Can anyone help me decide? I also do not want to spend a ton of money so the fancy duo's are not an option. $800 is my max. Thanks
Did you leave the door open after use and wipe inside the rubber seal occasionally With a clorox wipe?

We went through two washers in short time, so I called two appliance repair persons. "What brand should I buy to avoid breakdowns?"
They both said the same thing.
Speed queen.
They are commercial grade and built to last 25 years. Best warranty in the industry. Steel parts. American made.
We bought one and we've never looked back.
You have to find them at mom and pop type shops. I would never buy anything else.

Did you leave the door open after use and wipe inside the rubber seal occasionally With a clorox wipe?
Yes I leave door open pull out detergent tray, I have cleaned the whole rubber ring with bleach, ran cascade through the machine, tried vinegar, baking soda, the Tide machine cleaning stuff, etc etc. It just reeks and now its actually broke, the water sensor is malfunctioning so if I don't turn off the water supply valve it will just keeps filling with water. Time to part with this one.

Last edited:
I had a Kenmore front loader that lasted 18 years. I loved the front loader except for the mold issues around the seal. Even with cleaning it didn't go away. The smell was also from the the hoses that were not easily accessible to clean. I knew when it died I was going back to the top loader. Or so I thought . . .

I did exhaustive research because that is just who I am. I wanted to get a new washer I would be happy with. When you plunk down cash like that you want to be happy. And seeing that it is a valuable appliance I use at least 4 days a week, I left no stone unturned.

To my shock, the winners were front loaders. The top loaders just didn't get the clothes clean without the middle agitator that is now removed. Of the front loaders, the best ones typically are LG or Maytag. I have an LG, and I am very happy with it. I do not have the mold issues like I did on the Kenmore. I think that is twofold - one: before I knew about how to maintain a front loader, I always closed the washer door. That was a breeding ground, you have to leave door open (even if just slightly ajar to air dry.) Two: the seals are better now than years prior. It is a better rubber that is more resistant to mold? :confused3 idk what it is but it's nothing like my old Kenmore. And the newer machines will let you clean out the hose/filter easily with new washers. I actually just cleaned mine out this week and it took 5 minutes and was a breeze. (my old Kenmore you had to remove a screwed-in panel, it was a long and painful process.)

Yes I leave door open pull out detergent tray, I have cleaned the whole rubber ring with bleach, ran cascade through the machine, tried vinegar, baking soda, the Tide machine cleaning stuff, etc etc. It just reeks and now its actually broke, the water sensor is malfunctioning so if I don't turn off the water supply valve it will just keeps filling with water. Time to part with this one.

It sounds like we had the same washer. That is how ours died. I had to bucket out the water . . . it was a mess! I feel for you, I have been there.

Don't get a front loader. Its a fad whose time has passed. Tired of: leaving door open, bleaching ring, and running a cleaner load. Top loaders just seem to get clothes cleaner to me as well.

People seem to love this one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Samsung...ickid=0H1WRVTTgxyJTtpwUx0Mo3Y3UknwXlzJQXbFSc0

We just bought this one and I am loving it. It doesn’t have an agitator but gets the clothes clean just fine. And it’s nice to be able to spin at full speed without anything getting twisted around the agitator.

It does have a machine cleaning cycle and suggests it be used after 20 loads. It will signal to you when it needs to be done.

It has the deep fill option but haven’t used it but once. The machine decides how much water the load needs by weight. And seems to use a good amount of water.

I don’t use the washing powder or softener tray as I use pods. Which may be why I haven’t had any issue with any film or detergent left in the machine.

I’m the type to let other professionals research the best and choose. I thought about who would pick the sturdiest, most reliable, and not too over the top and fancy but get the clothes clean kind of washer. People who maybe had to buy hundreds (or thousands) of such washers and didn’t want to have to replace them or work on them constantly. Guess who I came up with?
DVC. I’ve never heard complaints about these washers. Done.
Last trip, I took pictures of our suite’s washer dryers for future reference when I need a washer. Since then, I think they announced an official Disney appliance company. I can’t remember which it was but that’s the beauty, I don’t have to... I’ll just look it up when the time comes. I think it was a whirlpool.

We've had a Maytag front load for ~7-8 years now and haven't had a problem with mold. We'll occasionally run it on a "clean" cycle with an Affresh tab, but we don't wipe down the seal. We do leave the door cracked when not in use. It gets the clothes clean just fine.

I’m the type to let other professionals research the best and choose. I thought about who would pick the sturdiest, most reliable, and not too over the top and fancy but get the clothes clean kind of washer. People who maybe had to buy hundreds (or thousands) of such washers and didn’t want to have to replace them or work on them constantly. Guess who I came up with?
DVC. I’ve never heard complaints about these washers. Done.
Last trip, I took pictures of our suite’s washer dryers for future reference when I need a washer. Since then, I think they announced an official Disney appliance company. I can’t remember which it was but that’s the beauty, I don’t have to... I’ll just look it up when the time comes. I think it was a whirlpool.
I'm not following the logic. You think you'd hear about if Disney had to replace the washers? I'm not even sure they get used the same amount as a home machine.

We just got a LG top loader. I love it except it is very deep and I have to stretch to reach the bottom of the tub. If you are under 5’4” you would probably have this problem. It is a 5 cubic washer and holds close to 2 baskets of clothes. It is only a month old, so I can’t tell you about smell or mildew. My favorite feature is the delayed start. I can set it up in the evening to wash early the next morning. A load takes about an hour.

I had a Kenmore front loader that lasted 18 years. I loved the front loader except for the mold issues around the seal. Even with cleaning it didn't go away. The smell was also from the the hoses that were not easily accessible to clean. I knew when it died I was going back to the top loader. Or so I thought . . .

I did exhaustive research because that is just who I am. I wanted to get a new washer I would be happy with. When you plunk down cash like that you want to be happy. And seeing that it is a valuable appliance I use at least 4 days a week, I left no stone unturned.

To my shock, the winners were front loaders. The top loaders just didn't get the clothes clean without the middle agitator that is now removed. Of the front loaders, the best ones typically are LG or Maytag. I have an LG, and I am very happy with it. I do not have the mold issues like I did on the Kenmore. I think that is twofold - one: before I knew about how to maintain a front loader, I always closed the washer door. That was a breeding ground, you have to leave door open (even if just slightly ajar to air dry.) Two: the seals are better now than years prior. It is a better rubber that is more resistant to mold? :confused3 idk what it is but it's nothing like my old Kenmore. And the newer machines will let you clean out the hose/filter easily with new washers. I actually just cleaned mine out this week and it took 5 minutes and was a breeze. (my old Kenmore you had to remove a screwed-in panel, it was a long and painful process.)

It sounds like we had the same washer. That is how ours died. I had to bucket out the water . . . it was a mess! I feel for you, I have been there.
I have the Kenmore Elite 3T........it is known for the mold issues. I hear the newer machines have fixed the issue but it still worries me. I really don't want to have to be wiping it dry and cleaning it out constantly.

I have a LG front loader. Two years old, no mold smell, only ran the clean cycle twice so far and rarely have to clean the ring. Bought it due to this actually. Lots of wash options. Including a 22 min cycle that’s actually does a good job.

LG has a great rep for washer/dryers.

Don't get a front loader. Its a fad whose time has passed. Tired of: leaving door open, bleaching ring, and running a cleaner load. Top loaders just seem to get clothes cleaner to me as well.

People seem to love this one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Samsung...ickid=0H1WRVTTgxyJTtpwUx0Mo3Y3UknwXlzJQXbFSc0

Really personal preference. After 30 years of top loaders we bought a front loader 6 years ago. What a difference, Cleaner clothes, shorter wash cycles, less water use. Ours is an LG with a secondary latch to keep the door cracked open to prevent any mold/smell issues. Now our DD, she bought top loaders, just because she couldn't afford a front loader. She says her clothes are getting clean, but the wash cycles are much longer. She's tall so reaching down into the washer and dryer isn't an issue.

I have the Kenmore Elite 3T........it is known for the mold issues. I hear the newer machines have fixed the issue but it still worries me. I really don't want to have to be wiping it dry and cleaning it out constantly.

I was all worried like you at first and wiped it down after every load. About week three I got lazy . . . such is life.

Seriously, wiping it down didn't really do a darn thing. I notice no difference except for I occasionally wipe the inside of the clear glass since it gets cloudy (hard water and detergent). Like PP my LG has the small little latch to keep it open to air dry, yet looks closed. I don't ever close it all the way unless a load of wash is in it.

Yes, that was what we had!! The 3T

My LG top loader whole had no odor, had longgggg cycles, sensor issues, loose lugs, and then it died after a repair at 4 years old. Replaced with speedqueen. Clothes are clean, you can control your water level as well as temperature, 30 ish cycles. Good spin cycle do they dry quick too. Still using my gas LG drier, it’s fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter