Need a new washer......help me!

Great dislike the new water saving energy efficient washers. I miss my old one desperately. Hate the stupid practically non-existent agitator. All the clothes have to get 'rearranged' so as not to block the holes. Cycles take SO much longer. Sheets literally bubble up causing a vacuum. Big pain in the neck.

There were very few 'old style' to choose from but deeply regret not taking what was left of them. This is a top loading Maytag Bravos.

I know I'm old but give me the old 'tried and true' any day.

Great dislike the new water saving energy efficient washers. I miss my old one desperately. Hate the stupid practically non-existent agitator. All the clothes have to get 'rearranged' so as not to block the holes. Cycles take SO much longer. Sheets literally bubble up causing a vacuum. Big pain in the neck.

There were very few 'old style' to choose from but deeply regret not taking what was left of them. This is a top loading Maytag Bravos.

I know I'm old but give me the old 'tried and true' any day.
Apparently the Speed Queen has the full water wash and agitator. It's the old school style top load.

My LG is a piece of garbage. Clothes do not get clean or rinsed properly even with using the correct amount of detergent, extra water and and extra rinses. When it dies I will be going happily back to a machine with an agitator.

We have a Kenmore top loading washer from 1990 or 1991 that we just paid a couple of hundred dollars to have repaired because it does a great job and I've heard such bad things about the new washers. Fingers crossed that it lasts another 5+ years, but I'll keep this thread in mind in case it doesn't and research the Speed Queen washers.

If you are looking for a very basic top loader that's unexpectedly aggressive in it cleaning capabilities, take a look at Whirlpool model WTW4850HW. It's a water saving model but holy smokes does it clean the clothes! For many years my undershirts and camisoles had perpetual build up of gunk (sorry gross) in the armpit areas that I would have to scrub at with baking soda and it still never got totally clean. First time I washed them in this machine and it was totally gone on ALL the shirts.

The only reason I bought this machine was because it was literally the only full size washing machine of any style (both front load and top load) that fit in the space I had (I was replacing an old front loader, and they've all gotten a few inches wider or deeper since I bought that one, I guess). I bought it almost exactly one year ago today. The agitation in this machine is crazy! So much so that I probably wouldn't recommend it if you have large loads of delicate clothes, although it does have a delicate cycle that seems to be ok for that stuff. On the "normal" cycles it leaves the wet clothes extremely wrinkled but after putting in the dryer they're usually fine. It is a basic machine with no extra features, and not what I initially wanted, but I'm very happy with it.

My LG is a piece of garbage. Clothes do not get clean or rinsed properly even with using the correct amount of detergent, extra water and and extra rinses. When it dies I will be going happily back to a machine with an agitator.

Do you have hard water?

Currently have a 10 year old Kenmore front load washer. It smells so bad and I honestly think it has mold that is making my family sick. I had my mind made up to buy a top load machine because I don't want to ever have to deal with the moldy smell of a front loader but I am reading reviews of the new water saving technology isn't getting the clothes clean enough and not what I am used to with the old style top load machine filling up with water. Plus I am reading the cycles take way too long. I am not opposed to a front loader but worry about the mold. Can anyone help me decide? I also do not want to spend a ton of money so the fancy duo's are not an option. $800 is my max. Thanks
Front loaders aren't really new technology; been around for many decades in the commercial and institutional sectors mostly due to lower water consumption. Mold should not be a problem in either type of washing machine that works properly...in all probability if the smell is off you might have a leak in a water pipe. Since your unit has a useful life of approximately 5 more years it's worth it to check how much it would cost to get in repaired.

Convinced you want a new unit? Sign up for Consumer Reports as it's 15 odd dollars well spent to decide what new unit best fits your needs.

HTH

Last edited:
Apparently the Speed Queen has the full water wash and agitator. It's the old school style top load.

Speed Queen is running a special that includes a 10 year warranty on parts and labor, which is an amazing offer!

It ends on 12/31.

We recently bought this washer. I don't hate it, but almost. It claims to have a load sensor for proper water level, but I swear it fills to the top even if I put one bra in there. Everytime you lift the lid to peak it adds more water. Horrible design. I can do a load in 30 minutes if I pick that cycle. Yay. I wish I could control the water level. I miss my old Kenmoore that I had for 20 years. This thing has so many useless cycle and rinse options. I should have picked a more basic design. It also locks, which I hate. I was suprised at all the positive reviews this machine got. I actually did read them before we bought it :magnify:.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-...Ur3_NZ0Z-AQDCxML6eRoCltkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I dread the day we need to replace our very basic washer that's been doing a great job for 20 years. It's either a Kenmore or a Whirlpool, can't remember which (and I'm not running upstairs to check). 4 water levels, 3 water temps for wash/rinse (hot/cold, warm/warm, cold/cold), 3 different wash cycles (normal, perm-press, delicate). It's died a couple of times but DH is somewhat handy and with help from the internet has been able to make the repairs (mostly the feed dogs). I have so many friends who have the new "low water" front loaders and hate them, mostly because the washer smells like mold and their clothes always smell musty. Studies have shown that the one most effective variable in getting clothes clean is not water temp, soap amount or type... it's the quantity of water used. The more water, the cleaner the clothes. Works for me. I really do not look forward to having to replace this washer, so fingers crossed!

Speed queen.
They are commercial grade and built to last 25 years. Best warranty in the industry. Steel parts. American made.
We bought one and we've never looked back.
You have to find them at mom and pop type shops. I would never buy anything else.

I was never so excited to have an appliance break as when our junky Whirlpool died a slow, painful death because that meant I could finally get a Speed Queen. She's a hard worker and an absolute dream.

I have a Maytag Bravos XL top loading
It's big but does a great job
I have matching dryer
Purchased in July
https://www.maytag.com/washers-and-...h-deep-clean-option-5.3-cu.-ft.mvwb835dw.html
I have a similar Maytag unit. Bought it in January. Our clothing comes out just fine, even stuff that gets dirty and grass stains from yard work.

My parents have an 8-year old Whirlpool set. Top loader, no agitator. Clothing comes out clean. They’ve had to get it serviced exactly twice- both times due to a penny ending up where it’s not supposed to.

I love my front loader. I'll never go back to a top load again. I have never had a mold or smell problem and our clothes come out clean. :confused3

Same here. We have the LG front loading washer/dryer and they work great. Front loading makes it so much easier to load and unload. The length of the cycle varies based on the setting and how much clothes you put in. Honestly, once you start the machine, you go do something else and then return when the cycle is complete.

I would love the Speed Queen but it just cant wash my king comforter and that is a deal breaker to me. Looks like I will prob be stuck getting another front load and the mold/musty smell is a worry. It's the exact reason I hate mine. Although my particular model had a class action lawsuit because of the mold issue so maybe it's this bad design?

We live in a year round high humidity climate. No way will I buy a front loader. Opening the door to dry wouldn’t help.

I would love the Speed Queen but it just cant wash my king comforter and that is a deal breaker to me. Looks like I will prob be stuck getting another front load and the mold/musty smell is a worry. It's the exact reason I hate mine. Although my particular model had a class action lawsuit because of the mold issue so maybe it's this bad design?

It was a poor design. I lived it, I know. I got my $50 check in the settlement.

I am very happy with my LG. No smell/mold issues, the seal dries fast and no water pooling around it like the Kenmore. And as previously stated, I barely do anything except making sure to keep the door open for air. I hope you will be as pleased as I am with whatever washer you buy.

It was a poor design. I lived it, I know. I got my $50 check in the settlement.

I am very happy with my LG. No smell/mold issues, the seal dries fast and no water pooling around it like the Kenmore. And as previously stated, I barely do anything except making sure to keep the door open for air. I hope you will be as pleased as I am with whatever washer you buy.
Which model do you have?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter