• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need a new washer......help me!

I have been reading reviews about the LG display hard to read, do you have that issue?
Mine is that same model! I also mentioned up thread that there are no issues with stink and never have to clean the ring. Mines white. No issues with the display at all. So bright I can see it in the kitchen to see if it’s still running.

We have a whirlpool duet front loader, but I don't think I've ever used the steam options on the washer or dryer. It's almost 12 years old. The only time I have any issues with smell is if I leave a load in the washer wet for a while (totally expected, sometimes I just forget it's there :) ). I never wipe the seal. I do run the cleaning cycle with Affresh and leave the door open after using it and we live in a fairly dry climate so that probably helps.

Ok I am done going back and forth with this situation I made a decision! I am going with the LG front load. The capacity is the same as the top load and the water and energy saving was the deal breaker for me. I will just be vigilant about keeping door ajar, detergent drawer ajar and will use less detergent than I usually do and run affresh through it every month and will make the effort to drain the lint filter area on occassion and keep my fingers crossed. Now to find the best price! ha ha . My hubby even mentioned getting the matching dryer so we can stack them and have more room in the laundry room. Win win!

I dread the day we need to replace our very basic washer that's been doing a great job for 20 years. It's either a Kenmore or a Whirlpool, can't remember which (and I'm not running upstairs to check). 4 water levels, 3 water temps for wash/rinse (hot/cold, warm/warm, cold/cold), 3 different wash cycles (normal, perm-press, delicate). It's died a couple of times but DH is somewhat handy and with help from the internet has been able to make the repairs (mostly the feed dogs). I have so many friends who have the new "low water" front loaders and hate them, mostly because the washer smells like mold and their clothes always smell musty. Studies have shown that the one most effective variable in getting clothes clean is not water temp, soap amount or type... it's the quantity of water used. The more water, the cleaner the clothes. Works for me. I really do not look forward to having to replace this washer, so fingers crossed!

We have a 26 year-old Kenmore washer and dryer -- the washer sounds just like yours. Starting to face reality that when they go, they go and we'll need to replace. Everything I read makes me hate the idea of shopping for them.

We had to abruptly replace our washer earlier this year and after much debate went with the middle level speed queen (about $800). Very happy with it.

My husband insisted on getting the speed queen dryer at the same time so hope we are set for a very long time.

Think any top load and front load can get moldy and smelly. I have the top load Maytag Bravos XL and the lid is always open. My LG front load door was hard to keep open because of space issue. It had a slime on it. I like mine and think anyone looking at washers should ask opinions then research themselves. Obviously as in anything the”bad “ reviews or issues will show up first.

Hi there......just got my newLG washer and I have some questions.......I did a speed wash cycle and when it was done the tub was all full of suds. I was shocked. I only filled it up to the minimum level with Tide HE liquid soap. Do you have that issue? I also wanted to ask if its normal when filling to not see water spraying into the drum? I hear it filling but don't see any spraying water and then i see sudsy water come up from the bottom of the rubber gasket. Not sure this is normal?
Thanks

I have a 15 yr old top loader with agitator and hope it never dies.

Those of you with front loaders that have to stay propped open, how do you do that if it is in a narrow space? Ours is in the "back hall" with washer/dryer on one side, coat closet on the other, and door at the end that leads to the dog yard, so we're walking through there multiple times a day. I can only imagine whacking into that (slightly?) open door repeatedly (because I am a klutz, I admit it.)

My DSM bought a top load Speed Queen last year and loves it. She's always washing farm clothes, dog towels, etc, and swears by how clean they come out.

Terri

I leave mine cracked open a little.

However, these washers have a cycle you can run to keep them clean. I also sanitize all of my bedding, so I’m running at least one really hot cycle every week.

Now I am considering the top load HE machine and torn between LG or Maytag. Sales dept is saying LG hard to find parts because it is Korean. However, not planning on it breaking so I want the one which will last longer ha ha.

Have an LG... This is correct. It is a very real concern. The first time something happened, under warranty, instead of trying to find a part and repair it, they had the store supply us a new one. Just went out again, electronics malfunctioning, the control board... again, we did finally get a so-called LG repairman from a city nearby to come out, he DID NOT repair the machine, and ripped us off, and with a partial refund, we are still out $$$.

For THAT reason, I would not buy an LG.

About the display panel... I am not sure how the new ones are, but the main light-up things are easy to see. But, the thing is all the little settings and things do not light up to where they can be seen. It is a bit of an issue.

We are deciding now whether to, on our own, order a new electronic control panel, which should be the correct part, and put it in ourselves... or just get the Speed Queens that we want. The ten year full warranty is really great!

Even though I do love a front loader. I would be giving up all of the features of a front loader. (Easy on fabrics, Steam cycle, etc....) and have to deal with an agitator.

PS: Our LG does not have a mold problem, at all. If a washer does have that, there is a problem that is causing this. Either bad design of that model, something to do with the installation, hoses, etc....

The LG has magnets that will hold the door like it is closed, but not locked air/water tight. I ususally do let the door hang open for a while to air out, then put it in that position.

About the soapy laundry after using the LG... Yep, that is a big problem. Especially in the quick wash.
This is how I have dealt with that. I use a bit less detergent. It doesn't take much in these machines. I let the cycle finish, and then run a rinse. This is when I might add the softener. DO NO let the machine add softener, as this is poor engineering, and it will add the softener to the still soapy laundry.
Yes, it takes longer to run, having to run the extra rinse. But, I would never skip that.
I have heard that dermatologist groups have complained about sensitive skin and dermatitis caused by the detergents.

We got a new washer this year - a GE top loader but it has the agitator. The salesperson said the top loaders without the agitator don't work as well. So we got the agitator. It senses how much water to put in but has a deep fill button. So I use the deep fill on every load just so it fills all the way with water. Otherwise it hardy uses any water and the clothes don't even look wet! So if I hold the deep fill button it will override and fill all the way with water. Seems like all the new top loaders have this water saving feature which I don't like. But I didn't want the front loader since I've heard a lot of people get mold problems. We went to a local owned store and they did have the "old fashioned" models - which I just got one of those instead of the new fancy then I wouldn't have to stand there and override it every time to fill with water. The only thing I love about it is the top lid is clear so I can see in - since all the new models the lid locks and you can't open - clear lid I can see if there's enough water!

Have an LG... This is correct. It is a very real concern. The first time something happened, under warranty, instead of trying to find a part and repair it, they had the store supply us a new one. Just went out again, electronics malfunctioning, the control board... again, we did finally get a so-called LG repairman from a city nearby to come out, he DID NOT repair the machine, and ripped us off, and with a partial refund, we are still out $$$.

For THAT reason, I would not buy an LG.

About the display panel... I am not sure how the new ones are, but the main light-up things are easy to see. But, the thing is all the little settings and things do not light up to where they can be seen. It is a bit of an issue.

We are deciding now whether to, on our own, order a new electronic control panel, which should be the correct part, and put it in ourselves... or just get the Speed Queens that we want. The ten year full warranty is really great!

Even though I do love a front loader. I would be giving up all of the features of a front loader. (Easy on fabrics, Steam cycle, etc....) and have to deal with an agitator.

PS: Our LG does not have a mold problem, at all. If a washer does have that, there is a problem that is causing this. Either bad design of that model, something to do with the installation, hoses, etc....

The LG has magnets that will hold the door like it is closed, but not locked air/water tight. I ususally do let the door hang open for a while to air out, then put it in that position.
She bought a LG. LOL

We got a new washer this year - a GE top loader but it has the agitator. The salesperson said the top loaders without the agitator don't work as well. So we got the agitator. It senses how much water to put in but has a deep fill button. So I use the deep fill on every load just so it fills all the way with water. Otherwise it hardy uses any water and the clothes don't even look wet! So if I hold the deep fill button it will override and fill all the way with water. Seems like all the new top loaders have this water saving feature which I don't like. But I didn't want the front loader since I've heard a lot of people get mold problems. We went to a local owned store and they did have the "old fashioned" models - which I just got one of those instead of the new fancy then I wouldn't have to stand there and override it every time to fill with water. The only thing I love about it is the top lid is clear so I can see in - since all the new models the lid locks and you can't open - clear lid I can see if there's enough water!
It's common sense that top loaders without an agitator don't work well. They don't have gravity to tumble the clothes like top loaders do.

About the soapy laundry after using the LG... Yep, that is a big problem. Especially in the quick wash.
This is how I have dealt with that. I use a bit less detergent. It doesn't take much in these machines. I let the cycle finish, and then run a rinse. This is when I might add the softener. DO NO let the machine add softener, as this is poor engineering, and it will add the softener to the still soapy laundry.
Yes, it takes longer to run, having to run the extra rinse. But, I would never skip that.
I have heard that dermatologist groups have complained about sensitive skin and dermatitis caused by the detergents.
Can't you just chose second rinse instead of waiting for cycle to finish? I just ran a cycle and literally only use 2 tablespoons of liquid detergent on normal cycle and still see suds. Is it normal for the suds and water to be coming up from the rubber gasket during the wash cycle?

Can't you just chose second rinse instead of waiting for cycle to finish? I just ran a cycle and literally only use 2 tablespoons of liquid detergent on normal cycle and still see suds. Is it normal for the suds and water to be coming up from the rubber gasket during the wash cycle?
On my Samsung, you have to choose extra rinse before you start the cycle. Do you have soft water? If you do, use less detergent.

We just bought this one and I am loving it. It doesn’t have an agitator but gets the clothes clean just fine. And it’s nice to be able to spin at full speed without anything getting twisted around the agitator.

It does have a machine cleaning cycle and suggests it be used after 20 loads. It will signal to you when it needs to be done.

It has the deep fill option but haven’t used it but once. The machine decides how much water the load needs by weight. And seems to use a good amount of water.

I don’t use the washing powder or softener tray as I use pods. Which may be why I haven’t had any issue with any film or detergent left in the machine.

I have this set in black, and they work really well. No film left, I use liquid detergent.

A week or so after we got our new washer, I broke out in a rash all over. I could not for the life of me figure out it was until I realized certain clothes was making it worse. At night, it actually seemed better but during the day my pants legs were making not scratching unbearable. So I figured out it had to be our detergent. I use Tide pods and have forever, so its not the brand, it had to be that it wasn't getting rinsed out well.

My sheets and pjs get washed on the "whites" setting which is super hot and automatically rinses more than once. My clothes on "Normal" but only one rinse. I now always set it to rinse at least twice. Rash is gone and hasn't been back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter