Need advice on pool rules--UPDATE

roadtripper

DIS Veteran
Hi all-
Our son, 8, has CP and uses a wheelchair. He loves to swim, and can do so by himself with a simple pool tube that you can buy at the dollar store. Because of limited right arm use and sensory issues, he cannot swim independently with a life jacket, with a bubble strapped to his back, or with arm floaties. He can float with a noodle, but those are WAY too big to pack!We ALWAYS sit at the edge of the pool while he swims.

Here's the situation--
When we were at WDW in August, he swam with his tube with no problems at WL and OKW (we are DVC members and can pool hop). At Typhoon Lagoon and the Polynesian, we had to keep explaining his situation to each new lifeguard who came by. They would try to get him out of the pool, call a manager over, etc. No one seemed to "get" that it was an accessibility issue for him, even though we explained it as such. At Typhoon Lagoon, we were in the lazy rizer (full of tubes!) and we were told he could not use his own tube, after I had confirmed with another lifeguard that it was ok for him to use his own tube with me watching him. I had to stop, explain the situation, and state that I could not get out, because we were halfway around the river, and his wheelchair (at the non-accessible river entrance, but that's another story) was on the other side of the river. I could not carry him all the way to his chair. This was after getting kicked out of the wave pool, where we were not in the thick of it, but at the water's edge.
Anyway, I would really like to avoid all these issues on our upcoming trip. I am wondering if I should send a letter to someone-- a lifeguard supervisor? the front desk at our resort? so that he can swim stress free. Has anyone had experiences with this, or advice on how to proceed? I wish they had waterproof GAC stickers for his float, or something to let lifeguards know that it's a special situation. It gets tiresome having to go through the whole deal when all he wants to do is swim around. Disney does so many things right for our kids, but this issue seems to have slipped through the cracks. Any advice?

I understand your frustration, I have a special needs child and have other issues to attend to on a daily basis :angel: . Maybe you could call or email guest relations/services at the resort before your trip and explain the problem- tell them not only are you spending all day explaining the tube but it is upsetting to your child also. I have emailed them in advance of past trips and they have been very accomidating- AND I bring a paper copy of the email and response with me to GS/relations so there are no "problems" with what was said or promised.

Make sure that you explain to them the issues that you had with being thrown out of the wave pool AND how the LG wanted you to get out where his chair was not available and I bet they are extra nice - we had a problem - not as big as that and they were over accomidationg to us in response at GS- we did have the Cm's name however- :wizard:

You can make your own water proof GAP-

I would ask them to give me a GAP specifically for the water parks stating that he has to have this type of intervention to be able to have equal access to the water areas- have it seperate so as not to confuse the issue with any GAP that he may use at the parks.

You can pick up self laminating kits at Walmart - laminate it and take it with you to the water parks.

I would then ask to speak to the water park manager/supervisor on the day of arrival at that particular park, show him the pass and have them tell everyone, make a radio announcement, post a note by the time clocks -whatever it takes to get the message out and ask that he give you a name and number that the lifeguards can use to get a quick response. I hate it but sometimes I have to be a pushy Mom to get my child equal access. :rolleyes1

I'm want to understand- does he lay on the float or does he hang through the middle? At White Water they have two sizes of floats- small ones for kids and large ones for adults. If he hangs through the middle does he rest his head on the tube? The arm floaties worked great for me for both of my kids- but they have no head or neck control problems. What happened when he used the arm floaties? I found some floaties for bigger kids in the pool shop at Holiday Inn Kids suite last summer- I think they call it the Nickalodean suites hotel now. Just curious :flower:

I doubt they will allow any floats other than the life jackets- I hate those -they keep sliding up the kids necks and if I tighten them they cut off the circulation to their bottom half.
Anyway, HTH- good luck

Daydreamer64 thanks so much for your thoughtful reply.

Re: the GAP-- I LOVE the idea of a separate one-- maybe the water parks already have one that I'm not aware of?

I will definitely email Old Key West. The irony is, they SOLD the tubes in the gift shop there in August-- but with the addition of the new slide and the lifeguards I fear that the policy will have changed.
CJ's tube is literally a dollar store ring that he puts around him, with his feet hanging through the hole, and his arms hanging over the side to hold him up--he "swims" around kicking his feet as much like a typical kid as it's possible for him to do. This, I think, is part of the problem-- he looks fairly typical when in the water, and as he gets older he is getting embarrassed at having attention paid to him.
I don't mind explaining it to the first lifeguard we see, but you'd think they have a communication system-- "hey the blond kid with the ring is disabled-- he can use the ring". I CERTAINLY wouldn't mind explaining it to parents who think it's unfair that he can use it and their child can't ;) .
With the arm floaties, it's more of a sensory thing-- he freaks out when they are put on, and his contracted right arm makes it very difficult to put on him.

Thanks again for your comments. Anyone else? Is there a GAC for the water parks?

OK- I see- it wouldn't be be a fun day if he was upset all day- didn't know about the sensory issues. I know sometimes no matter how resourceful I am we still miss out on some things. I hope you can get it all worked out- oh- don't forget to email guest services about last years issues- They need to know.

BTW- my oldest has the same initials- CJ

roadtripper said:
Re: the GAP-- I LOVE the idea of a separate one-- maybe the water parks already have one that I'm not aware of?
The Guest Assistance Card (GAC) that you get at Guest Services in the parks is only used in the parks; it is not valid (not the best word, but the only one I can think of right now) in the water parks.
We have not used one at the water parks, but I have been told there is a separate one for the water parks from Guest Services. I am not certain whether a GAC given out in one water park is valid for all the water parks or if you need to get a GAC for each water park. I am thinking that you need to stop at Guest Services in each of the water parks. From what I have heard, the CMs will discuss the different water "attractions" with you to determine which ones are safe.
Here's a link to the official Disney Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for Blizzard Beach. At the top of that page, there is a link for Typhoon Lagoon.
This, I think, is part of the problem-- he looks fairly typical when in the water, and as he gets older he is getting embarrassed at having attention paid to him.
I think you probably hit the nail on the head.
I don't mind explaining it to the first lifeguard we see, but you'd think they have a communication system-- "hey the blond kid with the ring is disabled-- he can use the ring".
You would think they would have a communication system, but it probably doesn't happen much, so it's not a familiar thing for them. I don't know if you have tried this, but you might have to actually ask the first lifeguard to pass the information on when he/she rotates to their next assignment.

For the resort pools, I think you would need to talk to the lifeguard at each resort (hopefully only once). Another option would be to use the "quiet" pools for the times you son just wants to swim (not go on slides, etc). Since there is no lifeguard, there would be no one to tell you what you can't do.

Thanks Sue, you're always so helpful.
Still wondering how they managed to put in the new slide at OKW with stairs-- surprised it's not a violation of ADA. My son LOVES the slide at WL, because he can go down with his float all by himself.
I sent a letter to member services, very positive, highlighting all the things Disney does right, and then addressing the issues re: swimming. Hopefully I will get a reply soon. I'm really just looking for answers on the proper procedure-- if there is one-- for getting him the access he needs without a lot of repetition and stress. It doesn't need to be a card or sticker on his tube (although not a bad idea!), but communication would probably help CMs, too- they don't like to be the "heavy", I'm sure. I'll let you know what I hear, and will post any procedural info here.

Hi all--
Just back from Disney, where we had a GREAT week of lots of swimming and no issues with the tube. We stayed at Old Key West, and DS and one other girl who used a wheelchair were using their tubes with no problems. The first day, we spoke to the first lifeguard we saw, explaining the situation and indicating that I had spoken with Maria at Guest Relations, who stated that if there were any problems, please give them her number.The lifeguard said he would explain the situation to all the other lifeguards, so there were no issues for the rest of the week. All the lifeguards were terrific, and even let us send DS down the slide with the tube, which he loved (not going to think about the fact that we won't be able to carry him up in a few years). Didn't go to any of the water parks or do any pool hopping, so I can only report on Old Key West, but it was a great week. Just thought I'd report the good news!

Thanks for the report.
Glad to hear you had a good experience.

I'm so glad that the trip worked out for your family.Try not to worry about the future- one day at a time, sometimes I have to repeat that to myself more than once a day ;) .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter