Need help with desert that is diary and nut free

mommytoe

DIS Veteran
My daughter has a friend that can not have any diary at all. In fact diary can not even touch her the allergy is so bad.

Their dance team has a Christmas party every year and the studio is nut free due to allergies.

My daughter's friend has made comment that there is never things for her to eat at the party due to her allergy.

My daughter and I decided we will surprise her fiend this year. What we bring will be something she can eat.

Problem is I have no recipes that are diary and not free. Please help.

What about rice krispie treats?

I would do a search on pinterest for dairy & nut free desserts - I am sure you'll get a lot to choose from that will be easy to prepare.

I think it's really nice of you to go out of your way to have something for her - it has to be tough for her having such a severe allergy.

We just hosted a party where 2 of the girls were gluten and dairy free. I went to Natural Grocers and was able to get cookies and treats that were gluten/dairy/nut free.

I was going to bake something but honestly, if I had a life threatening allergy, I would not trust home baked foods. So I bought the dessert and kept the boxes so they could make sure it was free of whatever they couldn’t eat.

My first thought was Rice Krispie cake too.

But, as pp said, I wouldn’t trust anyone saying good was nut and dairy free. Not that I don’t trust the person, but I can’t take the chance. Last time I had a reaction it was because my mom accidentally gave me a brownie with ground up walnuts in it. One bite and I knew something was wrong.

We just hosted a party where 2 of the girls were gluten and dairy free. I went to Natural Grocers and was able to get cookies and treats that were gluten/dairy/nut free.

I was going to bake something but honestly, if I had a life threatening allergy, I would not trust home baked foods. So I bought the dessert and kept the boxes so they could make sure it was free of whatever they couldn’t eat.

This is what I was thinking as well. If I knew someone who could die if food even touched dairy, I would not be able to live with the guilt if I baked something and it became cross-contaminated. I would bring something pre-packaged that is guaranteed to be nut and dairy free that's made in a facility without possibility of cross contamination.

I am very leery of anyone who says a dessert is "safe" and allergy free. DH's own mother has twice served him desserts containing almonds despite knowing about his allergy to almonds (thank goodness we noticed in time). A party host was also aware of the allergy, and she made sure she pointed out that she put almonds in a dish separate from green beans for DH's sake. But when she served the dessert, I took a bite and asked, "does this contain almonds by any chance?" and she was shocked, it did have almond extract, she didn't think about it. Some extracts do not contain actual almonds but others do, so for safety's sake DH did not eat the dessert. I think people who don't have the actual allergy or have a loved one who has gone to the hospital or died from one, just don't think of all the possibilities the way that that the allergic person does

I don't think Rice Krispie treats are dairy free because they contain butter.

The first things that came to my mind are marshmallows or meringues. (And you can make meringues in the shape of Christmas trees, which could be really cute for a christmas party) https://www.smartschoolhouse.com/easy-recipe/christmas-meringue-cookies)

Or maybe something like cinnamon-sugar coated pretzels for a sweet/salty treat: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/cinnamon-sugar-pretzels-491151

Edited with another idea that I think would be dairy and nut free. This is a family favorite of ours. (We just use regular cooking spray, not butter-flavored.) Fruit salsa and cinnamon chips: https://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/fruit-salsa-with-baked-cinnamon-chips/

Last edited:
Look for vegan dessert recipes that don't contain nuts. There are loads of them on the Internet.

This is what I was thinking as well. If I knew someone who could die if food even touched dairy, I would not be able to live with the guilt if I baked something and it became cross-contaminated. I would bring something pre-packaged that is guaranteed to be nut and dairy free that's made in a facility without possibility of cross contamination.

I am very leery of anyone who says a dessert is "safe" and allergy free. DH's own mother has twice served him desserts containing almonds despite knowing about his allergy to almonds (thank goodness we noticed in time). A party host was also aware of the allergy, and she made sure she pointed out that she put almonds in a dish separate from green beans for DH's sake. But when she served the dessert, I took a bite and asked, "does this contain almonds by any chance?" and she was shocked, it did have almond extract, she didn't think about it. Some extracts do not contain actual almonds but others do, so for safety's sake DH did not eat the dessert. I think people who don't have the actual allergy or have a loved one who has gone to the hospital or died from one, just don't think of all the possibilities the way that that the allergic person does

They don’t think or, they don’t care. Just look at all the posts every single time there’s an allergy related thread here. People all the time say they’d eat peanuts around someone with a peanut allergy.

:confused:

:sad2:

They don’t think or, they don’t care. Just look at all the posts every single time there’s an allergy related thread here. People all the time say they’d eat peanuts around someone with a peanut allergy.

:confused:

:sad2:

Oh I know, have you ever read online comments, not here necessarily, but on news articles, when a teenager or young person dies from accidentally eating something that they were allergic to? People say stuff like "they deserved it for being so stupid" or that it's "natural selection to weed out the weak". Really awful

You could always check with a local bake shop to see if they could make vegan/nut free treats for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter