Need help with road trip: VA, MD, PA, OH & KY

rnorwo1

DIS Veteran
Hi,
Sorry for the long post to follow! I am trying to plan our first ever road trip, and I need help with suggestions for lodging, best prices on tickets, suggested attractions, places to eat, etc. We are a family of 5 (kids are 4, 8, and 12, all boys), so we need at least a suite hotel room, would also like to consider homes/B&B/cabins if they're affordable. I've looked at several VRBO homes but they typically charge cleaning fees and such, which is an added cost for such short stays. I would like a kitchen/kitchenette for the places that we will be staying more than two nights.

Here are tentative plans, would love suggestions on anything and everything! I want to stop and do something in each of the following states (I'm on a mission for my children to see all 50 states... if I'm skipping a state that we will be passing through, that's b/c we've already traveled there, like the Carolinas, etc.) We are also focusing on the historical or otherwise unique things to do, so, while we love zoos, children's museums, etc, we will probably skip them on this trip (with a few exceptions listed below).

We leave from Louisiana, will drive to Atlanta, stay one night and see the zoo. We've been to Atlanta numerous times, but this is a good half-way point to VA, and we've never made it to the zoo there. Suggestions on hotel that will sleep 5, near zoo? Kid friendly place to eat?

Will then drive to Williamsburg, VA. Would like to see CW, Yorktown, Jamestown and Busch Gardens. Suggestions on place to stay? Places to eat? Will 3 days be enough, or should we go with 4? Is the ticket that includes all of these attractions the best deal, or are there cheaper ticket alternatives? We may consider the waterpark also, depending on time.

Will then drive to Philadelphia. Priorities are Liberty Bell and Independence Hall... is one full day enough, or should we spend 2? Anything else that we absolutely should not miss? Suggestion on where to stay? Eat?

Will then drive to Lancaster county, would like to stay at a farm. Was looking at Rocky Acre in Mountjoy, unless anyone else has a better suggestion... even if it's not a farm, I'm open to anything. Was thinking 2 days here, one to wander the county, maybe a buggy ride, and one to do Hershey, PA. We would just do the factory, not the amusement park/water park. Other suggestions on things to do/eat/stay? 2 days enough?

From here, we would head towards Ohio. Is Gettysburg worth a stop on the way for a day/half-day? DH and I would love to explore the area, but not sure about the kids for much longer than that. If it's a must, what should we do (a guided tour, car tour, etc?)

No clue as to what to do in OH. I've been to Cincinnati before, not sure what the kids would be interested in. I originally thought about Cedar Point or Kings Island, but not sure if another theme park is worth the money after Busch Gardens... none of the kids likes roller coasters, and my youngest is barely 40 inches, so he can't ride even some of the kiddie rides. I think seeing Lake Erie would be nice, what about just a boat ride or something? Any other thoughts on Ohio?

Then we will head to KY. I think we are going to stay somewhere in the Bowling Green area. DH wants to go to the Corvette museum/factory. The youngest will not be allowed there, any suggestions for what I can do with him while they are touring? I saw there's a children's museum, but I'm not sure how far it is from the factory. We'd also like to see Mammoth Caves. Is 1 day enough for that area? Suggestions on where to stay relatively convenient to both of these things? I was thinking about a cabin at Jellystone near the caves, but our Jellystone here in LA is not very nice

From there we will be headed straight home, probably beyond exhausted! Thanks for any info that will help make the trip more enjoyable and more affordable!!!

I can comment on PA because that's where I live. ;)

I think you can do Lancaster/Hershey in two days if you aren't doing Hersheypark. The two are about 35-40 mins. apart via Rt. 283. Chocolate World, located outside of Hersheypark is very nice. There is a free ride that explains how chocolate is made. There is also a 4-D show (which my family isn't really fans of). I'd recommend taking a trolley tour of Hershey. It might be a little pricey for a family of five, but it gives a nice tour of Hershey and the history of Milton Hershey. While in Hershey you could also visit the Hershey Gardens, the zoo (Zoo America) and the Hershey Story (museum). All have an admission fee though. I'm not certain of the price but I'm sure you could find that info on the Internet.

I'd recommend visiting Gettysburg. We LOVE it there. We took our boys for the first time when they were a few weeks shy of six-years-old. I was worried that they wouldn't enjoy it but they loved it as much as us. We did a self guided tour. There is a great visitor's center in Gettysburg (I'm sure it has a name, I just can't think of it). Inside the visitor's center there are exhibits, too. There is some other stuff as well, but you have to pay a fee to enter.

Have fun on your trip! I'm sure you'll make great memories.

Hard to quote from an iPhone. But I'll so my best in replying.

1. Williamsburg area. I think you can do it in three days. One day for Busch Gardens, one day for Jamestown/Yorktown and one day for CW.

2. Gettysburg. Definitely worth a side trip. So much history there.

3. Ohio. If you don't like roller coasters, you won't like Cedar Point. It's a great park for roller coasters. Kings Island has its coasters. But it also has a water park and an excellent kiddie land. However, it may be too similar to BG

If you want to visit something in Ohio, I might aim for the Air Force Museum in Dayton. You could easily spend a day there. Then possibly the Museum Center here in Cincinnati. It's inside an old, art-deco railroad station. Might be a good opportunity to catch a Major League Baseball game if the Reds are in town.

4. Bowling Green/Mammoth Caves. Never been to the Corvette Museum. However, I assume you've heard about the problems with the sinkhole. So take that into consideration. I highly suggest a Mammoth Cave tour. You gotta do it at least once. And a big thumbs up to Jellystone Park. We've stayed there twice, and enjoyed our stay both times. However, we tent camped. We did not do the cabins.

BTW, what part of LA are you from. My daughter lives in Bossier City.

Hi,
Sorry for the long post to follow! I am trying to plan our first ever road trip, and I need help with suggestions for lodging, best prices on tickets, suggested attractions, places to eat, etc. We are a family of 5 (kids are 4, 8, and 12, all boys), so we need at least a suite hotel room, would also like to consider homes/B&B/cabins if they're affordable. I've looked at several VRBO homes but they typically charge cleaning fees and such, which is an added cost for such short stays. I would like a kitchen/kitchenette for the places that we will be staying more than two nights.

Here are tentative plans, would love suggestions on anything and everything! I want to stop and do something in each of the following states (I'm on a mission for my children to see all 50 states... if I'm skipping a state that we will be passing through, that's b/c we've already traveled there, like the Carolinas, etc.) We are also focusing on the historical or otherwise unique things to do, so, while we love zoos, children's museums, etc, we will probably skip them on this trip (with a few exceptions listed below).

We leave from Louisiana, will drive to Atlanta, stay one night and see the zoo. We've been to Atlanta numerous times, but this is a good half-way point to VA, and we've never made it to the zoo there. Suggestions on hotel that will sleep 5, near zoo? Kid friendly place to eat?

Will then drive to Williamsburg, VA. Would like to see CW, Yorktown, Jamestown and Busch Gardens. Suggestions on place to stay? Places to eat? Will 3 days be enough, or should we go with 4? Is the ticket that includes all of these attractions the best deal, or are there cheaper ticket alternatives? We may consider the waterpark also, depending on time.

Will then drive to Philadelphia. Priorities are Liberty Bell and Independence Hall... is one full day enough, or should we spend 2? Anything else that we absolutely should not miss? Suggestion on where to stay? Eat?

Will then drive to Lancaster county, would like to stay at a farm. Was looking at Rocky Acre in Mountjoy, unless anyone else has a better suggestion... even if it's not a farm, I'm open to anything. Was thinking 2 days here, one to wander the county, maybe a buggy ride, and one to do Hershey, PA. We would just do the factory, not the amusement park/water park. Other suggestions on things to do/eat/stay? 2 days enough?

From here, we would head towards Ohio. Is Gettysburg worth a stop on the way for a day/half-day? DH and I would love to explore the area, but not sure about the kids for much longer than that. If it's a must, what should we do (a guided tour, car tour, etc?)

No clue as to what to do in OH. I've been to Cincinnati before, not sure what the kids would be interested in. I originally thought about Cedar Point or Kings Island, but not sure if another theme park is worth the money after Busch Gardens... none of the kids likes roller coasters, and my youngest is barely 40 inches, so he can't ride even some of the kiddie rides. I think seeing Lake Erie would be nice, what about just a boat ride or something? Any other thoughts on Ohio?

Then we will head to KY. I think we are going to stay somewhere in the Bowling Green area. DH wants to go to the Corvette museum/factory. The youngest will not be allowed there, any suggestions for what I can do with him while they are touring? I saw there's a children's museum, but I'm not sure how far it is from the factory. We'd also like to see Mammoth Caves. Is 1 day enough for that area? Suggestions on where to stay relatively convenient to both of these things? I was thinking about a cabin at Jellystone near the caves, but our Jellystone here in LA is not very nice

From there we will be headed straight home, probably beyond exhausted! Thanks for any info that will help make the trip more enjoyable and more affordable!!!

When are you planning on going? If this is not when public schools are out, then look into renting a timeshare (usually a minimum 2 night stay). I know there is one in Hershey and many in Williamsburg. They can be cheaper for weekday stays when school is still in session. Otherwise, they're probably not any cheaper. They are nice with room for larger families, usually with kitchens and washer/dryers in the unit.

We spend a lot of weekends in Lancaster and Hershey thanks to being season passholders to Hersheypark and Dutch Wonderland. And are 30 minutes away from Gettysburg although I must admit most of our time is spent at the outlets.

For Lancaster and Hershey, we typically stay at the Comfort Suites. There is also a Homewood Suites in Lancaster that should have a kitchen. I would definitely suggest going to Strasburg. There's the railroad, the train museum and the Choo Choo Barn. And depending when you go Cherry Hill Farm may be open. There are lot so f good places to eat. We always go to Hershey Farm for their buffet. There's also Miller's Smorgasbord, Good and Plenty, lots of choices.

In Hershey, there is also Indian Rock Caverns which are nice.

The one time we went to a Gettysburg, we saw a video/movie at the Battlefield.

We love Great Wolf Lodge when we go to Williamsburg. Although besides a quick trip to the outlets, we never leave the Lodge.

We went to the Columbus Zoo and water park this past summer and it was really nice. We did 2 days there.

If you are driving from Ohio to Ky, I'd go to Lexington and visit the KY horse park, then drive to Louisville and visit the Louisville Slugger plant. The next day you could do Mammoth Cave. I would not plan on going to the Corvette museum. They lost 8 vette's this week in a sink hole. I don't know when it will reopen.

I can comment on PA because that's where I live. ;)

I think you can do Lancaster/Hershey in two days if you aren't doing Hersheypark. The two are about 35-40 mins. apart via Rt. 283. Chocolate World, located outside of Hersheypark is very nice. There is a free ride that explains how chocolate is made. There is also a 4-D show (which my family isn't really fans of). I'd recommend taking a trolley tour of Hershey. It might be a little pricey for a family of five, but it gives a nice tour of Hershey and the history of Milton Hershey. While in Hershey you could also visit the Hershey Gardens, the zoo (Zoo America) and the Hershey Story (museum). All have an admission fee though. I'm not certain of the price but I'm sure you could find that info on the Internet.

I'd recommend visiting Gettysburg. We LOVE it there. We took our boys for the first time when they were a few weeks shy of six-years-old. I was worried that they wouldn't enjoy it but they loved it as much as us. We did a self guided tour. There is a great visitor's center in Gettysburg (I'm sure it has a name, I just can't think of it). Inside the visitor's center there are exhibits, too. There is some other stuff as well, but you have to pay a fee to enter.

Have fun on your trip! I'm sure you'll make great memories.
Thanks for the info on Hershey, we will definitely do the tour of the city, the kids would love it. How long do you recommend for Gettysburg?

Hard to quote from an iPhone. But I'll so my best in replying.

1. Williamsburg area. I think you can do it in three days. One day for Busch Gardens, one day for Jamestown/Yorktown and one day for CW.

2. Gettysburg. Definitely worth a side trip. So much history there.

3. Ohio. If you don't like roller coasters, you won't like Cedar Point. It's a great park for roller coasters. Kings Island has its coasters. But it also has a water park and an excellent kiddie land. However, it may be too similar to BG

If you want to visit something in Ohio, I might aim for the Air Force Museum in Dayton. You could easily spend a day there. Then possibly the Museum Center here in Cincinnati. It's inside an old, art-deco railroad station. Might be a good opportunity to catch a Major League Baseball game if the Reds are in town.

4. Bowling Green/Mammoth Caves. Never been to the Corvette Museum. However, I assume you've heard about the problems with the sinkhole. So take that into consideration. I highly suggest a Mammoth Cave tour. You gotta do it at least once. And a big thumbs up to Jellystone Park. We've stayed there twice, and enjoyed our stay both times. However, we tent camped. We did not do the cabins.

BTW, what part of LA are you from. My daughter lives in Bossier City.

Thanks for all of the info! Alas, I am the only one who likes roller coasters in my family :sad2: I have high hopes that my 4 yo will like them! The Air Force museum may be a really good idea, my DH loves that kind of thing. Yes, DH told me about the sink hole, that is crazy! We will definitely check before going. We are a little north of Baton Rouge... we have driven through Bossier City!
When are you planning on going? If this is not when public schools are out, then look into renting a timeshare (usually a minimum 2 night stay). I know there is one in Hershey and many in Williamsburg. They can be cheaper for weekday stays when school is still in session. Otherwise, they're probably not any cheaper. They are nice with room for larger families, usually with kitchens and washer/dryers in the unit.

We will be leaving May 23rd... the VA dates are approximately 5/24-29, have to settle on dates soon!
We spend a lot of weekends in Lancaster and Hershey thanks to being season passholders to Hersheypark and Dutch Wonderland. And are 30 minutes away from Gettysburg although I must admit most of our time is spent at the outlets.

For Lancaster and Hershey, we typically stay at the Comfort Suites. There is also a Homewood Suites in Lancaster that should have a kitchen. I would definitely suggest going to Strasburg. There's the railroad, the train museum and the Choo Choo Barn. And depending when you go Cherry Hill Farm may be open. There are lot so f good places to eat. We always go to Hershey Farm for their buffet. There's also Miller's Smorgasbord, Good and Plenty, lots of choices.

In Hershey, there is also Indian Rock Caverns which are nice.

The one time we went to a Gettysburg, we saw a video/movie at the Battlefield.

We love Great Wolf Lodge when we go to Williamsburg. Although besides a quick trip to the outlets, we never leave the Lodge.

We went to the Columbus Zoo and water park this past summer and it was really nice. We did 2 days there.

Thanks, I'm adding these to the list of possibilities. I am trying to keep the trip to 15 days, b/c I'm afraid everyone will become grouchy if we go much longer!

Thanks again everyone!

If you are driving from Ohio to Ky, I'd go to Lexington and visit the KY horse park, then drive to Louisville and visit the Louisville Slugger plant. The next day you could do Mammoth Cave. I would not plan on going to the Corvette museum. They lost 8 vette's this week in a sink hole. I don't know when it will reopen.

My DH has been following this, it's crazy. This is definitely just something that would be nice for him to do (he has dreams of buying one there and driving it out of the factory :rotfl:) but if it's not open it won't change much... it's right on the way home.
Will add the horse park and plant to the list of possibilities! thanks!

One of our very favorite family vacations was to Lakeside, Ohio. It is on Lake Erie, not too far from Cedar Point. It is a gated town, originally started as a chautauqua (artist/spiritual/intellectual camp). It is very relaxed, old-fashioned town where children rent bikes and ride them all over. Perfect if you want a day or two to wind down.

At Mammoth Cave (at least when we were there) you could choose which tour you took--some shorter, perfect for little ones.

In Louisville, the guys in our family did the Slugger Factory while I took my preschool daughter across the street to a Children's Museum.

I will put in a plug for Ohio and if you're interested in historical things, you could visit the Indian Mounds and an Indian quarry @ Flintridge. These are located in Licking County, about 30 minutes east of Columbus. Google Newark Earthworks. You could stay at the Cherry Valley Lodge while you're in Newark. It is currently undergoing some renovations but has a water park attached.

The Airforce Museum is also very interesting. Have fun on your trip! Visiting all 50 states is on my to do list. :)

I just noticed that I left Maryland out! We will be passing right near Baltimore, I believe, so want to stop at least briefly to do something there. I haven't researched it much, but I was thinking a tour of the harbour maybe? Just something to give us a little taste of the city. Other ideas?

I can help with KY :) There are a lot of of fun things to do in Bowling Green. The Jellystone camp is really nice..we stay there typically at least once a year and my girls love it. Look into Ky down under..neat little nature park close by. Theres also Dinosaur world across the street if your kids are into those.
In the Cincy area look into Newport Aquarium. Really cool area on the Ky side of the river. We like Kings Island and none of us do roller coasters. You can typically get park tickets cheap from local grocery stores ($25ish).
Louisville is a good area too. The louisville science center, slugger museum are both good places for kids.
I've lived in this area my whole life so if I can answer any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Lots to do in Baltimore - visit the harbor - there is the National Aquarium and the Maryland Science Center right in the harbor area, Fort McHenry - this is the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Baltimore - when Francis Scott Key wrote the words to the Star Spangled Banner, the B & O train museum. You could also catch an Orioles game at Camden Yards.

There are several restaurants in the Harbor area, my first choice would be Phillips Crab House.

If you want to make a stop in Annapolis, you can visit the US Naval Academy.

I would also highly recommend a day in Gettysburg, you can do a self-guided auto tour of the battlefield - make sure you go to the visitors center and also take some time and walk around downtown Gettysburg.

Hershey is always fun and your kids will like the Chocolate Factory ride. I would also recommend the Indian Echo Caverns and a stop in Strasburg to ride the train. There is also a miniature train display you can visit.

Sounds like a wonderful visit.

Family of 5 that has driven to almost all these places.

If you are looking for unique places to stay, in Lancaster county there is the Red Caboose Motel. I've not stayed there but DH took each of our boys and they loved it. I'm not sure on the size of the rooms though as when they went it was always a "daddy and me" trip - just him and one of the boys - not the whole family.

If you are in to history absolutely you don't want to miss Gettysburg especially since you will be so close in Hershey. We stayed here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...e_s_Headquarters-Gettysburg_Pennsylvania.html The room was very nice, not a suite, but they gave us a roll-a-way and there was still plenty of room in the room for all of us. Neat thing about this hotel, while it is not historic it's got a museum located on the premises that is free if you are a guest and it is right across the street from the battlefield. One day is enough, but the drive from here to OH is a long one because of the mountainous route which involves speeds of only 20 MPH in some places. If you kids don't scare easily the ghost tours are supposed to be amazing. We didn't do one as we didn't allow enough time for travel and got there too late.

Another one to think about if you are in to the space/flight museums is the Neil Armstrong Museum. It's in Wapakoneta, OH. About an hour north of Dayton, just off the highway. If your kids are in to music it's a bit north but in Cleveland there is the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Again on the if you are looking for somewhere "different" to stay in OH, you may want to try Hueston Woods. It's a state park but they have a lodge and cabins available to rent thru Xanterra. A bit off the beaten path but it was convenient for us for visiting DH's family in Dayton and Oxford (the town where Miami University is located). We have family who work for Xanterra and get the family discount so I can't talk price. The rooms when we were there last were straight out of the 70s but clean and comfortable (2 years ago). There are activities in the park but most are closed in May. They do have fire pits in the back of the lodge and at the cabins where you can roast marshmallows and make s'mores. If I recall correctly the lodge also has a playground as well as both indoor and outdoor pools. There is also a nature center which is free to visit.

I also have to recommend Jellystone Park near Mammoth Cave. We camped in tents but the kids loved it there. If you are going to do Mammoth Cave just make sure to book your tour tickets before you get there. The tours sell out fast, especially the ones that allow kids under the age of 8.

A nice relaxing area in Ohio is the Hocking Hills region. Lots of nice cabins to rent (most of them with hot tubs). Hiking is the main attraction here.

A previous poster mentioned Lakeside, OH. I have never been inside the gated area, but have been in the area to Marblehead and have taken the ferry over to Kelly's Island. This would take you out on Lake Erie. On the island you can rent a golf cart and drive around to explore, check out the glacial grooves, have lunch (great place for Lake Erie Perch) play some mini-golf.

I would probably scrap the Corvette Museum plans at this point.

I would second looking at the Louisville Slugger/Children's Museum ideas. The KY Horse Park is fantastic, a Toyota Plant tour just north of the Horse Park would be neat too.

There are a ton of activities near Mammoth Cave.

I have 7 and 9 Year old boys and these are some of the things they really like.

Philly - there is also the Art Museum, Franklin institute, Chinatown. Right across the river in Camden NJ is Adventure Aquarium. For Eats definitely hit the Reading Terminal Market.

Lancaster - Strasburg Railroad & Railroad Museum, take a horse and buggy ride. Highly recommend Shady Maple Smorgasbord and Farm Market. There are a lot of great roadside produce and bake good farm stands.

Hershey - Chocolate World and the tour of the city are fun.

Gettysburg is definitely worth it, you could do the car tour or if the boys need to burn off some energy you can walk the battlefields.

If your boys are anything like mine, if you have the time stop at the Udvar-Hazy outside of DC near Dulles airport. It has the Space Shuttle, Enola Gay, SR-71 Blackbird, Concorde SST and a lot of other really cool aircraft.

Sounds like a great trip, have fun.

Philadelphia has much more than the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. As another poster noted there is the Art Museum, Franklin Institute, Chinatown, and the Aquarium across the river in Camden.

The US Mint also gives tours and Sesame Place is about a 45 minute drive north of downtown.

If you do go to Gettysburg, the self-guided auto tour is definitely a good idea. However, while in the visitor center, purchase the CDs. They are very helpful, providing information to each point on the tour. You can also tour the Eisenhower National Historic Site, adjacent to the battlefield, which was the home of President Eisenhower.

In the Lancaster area, there is the Strasburg Railroad, Choo-Choo Barn, & National Train Museum, all within about 1 mile of each other. In that area, your children might enjoy staying at the "Little Red Caboose" motel. It's not fancy, and definitely dated, but clean and different. Each room is a different train car. There is a "dining car" where you can have meals and if you time it right, the Strasburg RR will pass by while you're eating. There is also a small petting "zoo" and horse & buggy rides available.

Since you are especially interested in visiting historic sites, you might enjoy the following in Philadelphia: Carpenters' Hall, Congress Hall, the Betsy Ross House, Benjamin Franklin Museum (Franklin Court), and Christ's Church. The Constitution Center is also supposed to be very interesting (I haven't been there yet). If you go to nps.gov you can search for "Independence National Historical Park" and you'll find details on many of the areas I mentioned.

If you are planning on going to Gettysburg, you might want to swing by Valley Forge National Park - your older two might like seeing the cabins that the Revolutionary War soldiers lived in.

Have a great time!

Cedar Point is totally worth it even if they don't ride coaster.
You could take a boat ride over to Put In Bay. There is lots of things for kids to do.

In Sandusky is a nice waterpark Kalahari Resort

Or you could go to Cleveland. Right on the shores of Lake Erie is a science center, rock hall, aquarium, aviation museum, catch and Indians game.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter