Need ideas of food to sneak in

No restroom or water breaks? That sounds illegal.
You would think, but they made reasonable effort to make accomodations and if personnel didn't come to work to cover, you couldn't just leave. That was reality. I honestly believe that is reality in many jobs. Doesn't make it okay, but it happens.

I don't know, but I am pretty picky about my food intake these days. I would seriously explore the option of a workplace accommodation, and I bet I could get my doctor to support me (and my boss would as well).
I was just getting ready to post the same thing. The person needs to get a doctors note, but if it’s an at will state, I think they could be fired anyway, even with a doctors note.

Last edited:
My son-in-law is a seargent at our local prison and I don’t think he can take food in at work. No cell phones allowed in and I don’t think he can go to his car until his shift is over. So maybe OP’s friend works at a prison.

My son-in-law is a seargent at our local prison and I don’t think he can take food in at work. No cell phones allowed in and I don’t think he can go to his car until his shift is over. So maybe OP’s friend works at a prison.

That could be. If he can't take food in though, do they provide food for him? Does he have a break room? Just out of curiosity, why can't he leave and take his break in his car? I'm not doubting you, just never heard of it before.

That could be. If he can't take food in though, do they provide food for him? Does he have a break room? Just out of curiosity, why can't he leave and take his break in his car? I'm not doubting you, just never heard of it before.

It's a highly controlled environment, that's why folks may not be allowed to leave until their shifts are over. It's a lot of manpower to secure a facility like that properly. I'm sure there are safety reasons too - if anything were to happen to a guard while offsite/outside of the building it could mean that the facility is short staffed. They are often members of a union too so it's not always as simple as just calling someone in to cover or asking someone to work later/come in early.

BUT in those cases there should be adequate food options available, and places to eat and take breaks.

I work for a natural gas company and our call center is unionized, they can go to their cars for breaks/meal times but cannot leave the premise for the same reasons I noted above (We are a locked facility, no public access). But the company provides a really nice big cafeteria, the vending machines are stocked with healthy options and workers are encouraged to bring in their own food.

That's what I was thinking... it's either a prison or some high level medical research type facility which can't be contaminated w/ ANYTHING from outside.

But, at a prison, don't the guards & officers have access to either the same food the prisoners are getting or their own kitchen?

Regardless, if the place is that secure, there are going to be video cameras all over the place, & you really wouldn't be able to "sneak" & eat something you brought from home anyway.

I wish the OP would come back & provide more clarification!! There ought to be some kind of posting law - you can't just abandon your thread & not update!

That's what I was thinking... it's either a prison or some high level medical research type facility which can't be contaminated w/ ANYTHING from outside.

But, at a prison, don't the guards & officers have access to either the same food the prisoners are getting or their own kitchen?

Regardless, if the place is that secure, there are going to be video cameras all over the place, & you really wouldn't be able to "sneak" & eat something you brought from home anyway.

I wish the OP would come back & provide more clarification!! There ought to be some kind of posting law - you can't just abandon your thread & not update!
You’re correct. My brother is a retired corrections officer...he was not trapped at work for an entire shift, eating prison food when he got hungry. He packed his meals and brought it with him. He didn’t eat sitting in prison with the inmates, lol...they have breaks, and their own areas to go to.

You’re correct. My brother is a retired corrections officer...he was not trapped at work for an entire shift, eating prison food when he got hungry. He packed his meals and brought it with him. He didn’t eat sitting in prison with the inmates, lol...they have breaks, and their own areas to go to.

Right. I didn't think the guards & officers were eating w/ the inmates! LOL!

I just know that, at some prisons, there's one kitchen, which serves 2 meals - one for the inmates & 1 for the workers. (DH & I were watching some TV show on Discovery or A & E or some other network about prisons the other night, & the inmates who had "kitchen duty" prepared for both the inmates & the workers... and the narrator was saying how much food it takes to feed everyone for just one week.)

And there are probably also other prisons where there is a completely separate kitchen for the workers, & I would assume (& maybe I'm wrong) that all prisons have some type of break room for the workers.

I can believe though how, at some prisons, guards & officers are NOT allowed to bring in their own food & NOT allowed to leave the premises for breaks and/or meals during their shifts, for security reasons.

But then I would imagine they are provided w/ more than a vending machine w/ only chips & candy bars.

When I worked in a prison, the staff were allowed to get food from the cafeteria. I was allowed to bring in food, but I wasn’t a guard. I don’t know if guards could or not.

When I worked in a prison, the staff were allowed to get food from the cafeteria. I was allowed to bring in food, but I wasn’t a guard. I don’t know if guards could or not.

Yeah, I could see why guards couldn't bring in food.

Sounds like the employees need to band together and talk to management - very odd not allowing outside food but bad vending is ok? They need a healthy option if no outside food is allowed
Totally agree -- this is not a reasonable restriction. If the job is such that outside food shouldn't come in, employees ought to be given separate area for their lunch /food storage.
Yeah, something doesn't seem right. I wish op would come back and explain more. It just does not seem legal to force people to stay in the building for their breaks. How do they enforce this, are there guards at the doors? They do not allow employees to bring in lunch, and are forced to eat unhealthy food from a vending machine? It's just so strange. I can't imagine anyone would think this is a good place to work.
My husband used to go into nuclear power plants on a regular basis, and he had to deal with two restrictions that people might find odd:

- He couldn't bring in a cell phone with any type of camera feature. So he could either use an old-fashioned flip-phone, or he could leave his phone in the car all day /be out of touch with his company and me.
- He had a very high-level clearance to enter these places ... but, still, every time he went in, he had to go through a VERY thorough search that took about 30 minutes. If he left the building (to use his phone, to go get food, etc.), he had to go through security AGAIN. Obviously, he was highly motivated to bring in his food (even though his food had to be searched) so he wouldn't have to go through that multiple times. He purchased a small cooler so he could bring in several drinks and plenty of food /keep it safely.

But, yeah, he was totally allowed to bring in all the food he wanted. He had to give them total access to search it, but he could have his own food.

If you cant bring in food then why are they allowing them to fill vending machines? I would be contacting some place that deals with the job issues , people with diabetics need to bring in food. Sounds unreal, maybe contact an atty and find out your rights. This sounds way off to me.

There are uncrustables and some kind of bologna sandwiches in the vending machine, other than that I'm not sure. No option to leave to go to the car.
Oh dear God. I’d be eating in my car

There were times in my husband's job over the years where he did ten hour shifts with no food or drink and no bathroom access. There was machinery that could not be contaminated or left unsupervised. When he worked nights it was a really good night if there was a relief available for breaks. Shutting the whole thing down would have been a very big deal. I think some people used bottles for urine, but you basically had to call in sick if you foresaw a need for other bathroom usage during that time. He carried jolly ranchers in his pocket to wet his dry mouth, no crumbs, he could get them in his mouth without touching them and they didn't make him need to use the restroom.

Uncomfortable and not something I would wish on anyone, but I don't think it's THAT unusual.
Don’t see how peeing in a bottle is contamination free

Don’t see how peeing in a bottle is contamination free
It's not, it's a desperation move. My husband's jolly ranchers were also a desperation move. Everyone knew it was not a good thing when there was no relief staff available and desperate times call for desperate measures. You just go for the best possible scenario depending on the circumstance. Sometimes peeing in a bottle wins over shutting down an entire plant. (Though I'm pretty sure my husband wasn't one of those doing that - bladder of steel.):duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter