Need to vent on 'Ohana experience

Ive been to Ohana dinner once..... I didn't enjoy it. It felt rushed,and we felt overstuffed b/c everything was coming at us too fast. After that we just didn't go back. My Dsis however loves the dinners there. I guess it's all different opinions.

Why and what happened was due to miscommunications between the service staff. Anything more is frequently misguided conjecture on some posters' behalf.
What happened is due to miscommunication, lack of communication, maybe misunderstanring between thrle server and the runners.

Why can only be conjecture unless multiple contacts directly with Walt Disney World result in similar responses.

What and why have different meanings from each other.

What happened is due to miscommunication, lack of communication, maybe misunderstanring between thrle server and the runners.

Why can only be conjecture unless multiple contacts directly with Walt Disney World result in similar responses.

What and why have different meanings from each other.
I rarely correct anyone's grammar, punctuation, or spelling online (apparently the less I see them used properly, the less I recall) but in this instance I agree with your usage and definition of the "w"s.

Dang. OP here. I really hit a chord.

It feels good that others share the opinion, but then its upsetting to see that so many people have had the experience. I guess if I was the only one, then my experience could have been a one-off. Unfortunately, it seems its more of the norm.

I can't imagine not going back to ohana on my next trip. But it is TBD.

To one poster's point, I did refuse the meat skewers. When they dropped the app platter, it was a complete hit and run situation. The runner didn't even look at us. I'm not sure his feet even stopped moving. I was surprised when he dropped it, so I didn't respond immediately. But, I really don't think I could have gotten his attention before he ran off.

To another's question, I'm not positive how long we were there, but we looked at time stamps on pictures and from that it looks like it is between 40 and 50 minutes. Roughly $11/minute.

Wow. Yeah, that's REALLY rushed, IMHO! I remember the last time we went we were in and out (check-in to walking out) in 90 minutes, but even then, the service was terrible. We had the same experience one PP had where one server was trying to do everything for every table (drinks, apps, meat skewers). I felt so badly for her.

We've taken O'hana off our list for now. We have a tendency to re-visit restaurants we've had a bad experience in after a few years. Some we are pleasantly surprised by in the re-visit (Citrico's and FF were MUCH better on our last trips than in visits past). While others continue to disappoint (I think Narcoosee's is a permanent no from here on out and Monsieur Paul was abysmal on our last visit). I just don't know if I want pounds of meat plopped unceremoniously on my plate ever again, so O'hana may become a permanent no-go as well.

We've been to Ohana many times as it's my family's must do place (my family is all my in laws too). However, we had some less than stellar visits and took a break for about 3 years. Just started going back and it actually has been better the past few visits. One thing we discovered is if you tell them you have TIW at beginning then you might get crappy service (as they get guaranteed 18% tip). So once we started going back we stopped telling them we had TIW card until the end and it has been better.

Last visit in March was so sad. It was my twins' 20th birthday and we did a brunch at 11:30. We were too full for our Ohana dinner later. And I had taken a nap before dinner and felt like I had been hit by a mack truck when I woke up. I should have skipped the dinner but it was my kids' birthday. I forced 3 bites of food down, literally that was all. DH and twins ate all the food but none of us wanted the dessert. We said no thanks and paid and left. We were in and out in 40 mins. I was really looking forward to that meal too. We booked again for Oct and we won't eat anywhere else that day (grab a few things at F&W for lunch).

My honest opinion is that yes, 40 mins is rushing at Ohana but 2-2.5 hours is way too long and borders on being rude (to staff and to others waiting for that table). So if OP wanted 2.5 hours that was unreasonable...BUT...if he wanted it to slow down so as not to be in and out in 40 mins then he should have been obliged. I don't think 1.5 hours there is too much to ask. That's just my thoughts on the subject.

Last edited:
I rarely correct anyone's grammar, punctuation, or spelling online (apparently the less I see them used properly, the less I recall) but in this instance I agree with your usage and definition of the "w"s.
Thanks. Yeah, it wasn't a correction, it was a clarification :). Although I have to admit there are plenty of times I want to correct grammar, usage, spelling... :D

As far as time allowed for the meal (for brunch, at least) they should space things out according to how long it takes for the characters to make the rounds. Per a CM I spoke with, it takes a minimum of 70 minutes for the characters to make a full cycle of the dining room (longer for Stitch since he's a favorite) so to rush people through their breakfast in 40-50 minutes knowing full well that the table most likely won't turn over until all characters have been seen seems silly.

My husband, daughter and I were there in early April for brunch; our breakfast service was on the fast side (not really rushed but hyper-efficient) and we wound up waiting at the table, check paid, for 30 minutes before leaving because it took that long for Stitch to get to us.

Wow, this post really got Pete fired up on the Dis Unplugged show! And I have to agree, people need to speak up immediately to the restaurant manager, tweet to @WDWToday, write letters to the hotel manager. I am sorry that anyone is rushed through a meal when they are paying a large sum and promising to cover the waiter with a nice tip. Complaining on the boards here only goes so far; it's a little insulated and can be shrugged off. But making the case known as promptly as possible to as many people in management as possible gets decent results. I do hope this encourages more people to speak up. It is possible to be polite and firm about your expectations without anyone feeling awkward, and management always needs feedback to know where they need to improve or completely change.

So glad Pete brought this up in his rant today on the show! I still believe this goes beyond a server rushing his tables. It's happening to too many people over too long of a period of time to be a server level situation. I still think management or someone above has decided that 'Ohana needs to turn tables faster, regardless of customer wishes and they're willing to compromise customer satisfaction in the process.

still believe this goes beyond a server rushing his tables.
I have to disagree the server was rushing the table. If that's true, he outright lied to the OP at least two of the three times slow-and-relaxed service was requested and agreed to.

I would blame the runners and management, but give the server behecit of the doubt and believe he repeatedly advised the runners.

We have only been once ten years ago because it was our DGD’s pick. I do not think any of us liked it enough to go back.

I have to disagree the server was rushing the table. If that's true, he outright lied to the OP at least two of the three times slow-and-relaxed service was requested and agreed to.

I would blame the runners and management, but give the server behecit of the doubt and believe he repeatedly advised the runners.

Does it really matter if it's the runners, servers, management or all of them? The point is, this is not an isolated issue, it can't be tied to just one server due to the prevalence of these issues, and there has to be some kind of systemic issue that's causing this change. And having been in a similar situation, it seems completely reasonable that the server lied. Heck, we told ours multiple times to slow it down and he was right in there with the runners trying to force a speed dining situation. Ultimately, a guest should never have to request a well paced meal. The restaurant has failed if you have to go out of your way to try and correct them on such matter.

What a strange read. It’s clear that people have different expectations of dining. For some it seems to be sitting at a table with long periods between eating to talk and figure out what to have next. For others it’s the food. Some want drinks. Actually, many do. I don’t. Unless it’s an early breakfast, and in that case just please give me the coffee pot.

Am I crazy to think that after spending $550 on a meal we could sit and enjoy the company a little bit enjoy the music, the entertainment, etc...?

Might be worth pondering what it was that stopped you from sitting and enjoying those things? If it takes your family a certain amount of time to eat, what was it about having food crowded on the table that caused you to go faster than you wanted? You had quite a bit of control there. Slow yourselves down, and ignore any perceived speeding-up by the server, if you want a long experience at the restaurant.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't have left a tip at all.

With a big group they would have had to talk to a manager to have it taken off.

I don't think 2 to 2-1/2 hours to eat a 4 course meal (salad, appetizers, main course, and dessert with coffee/tea) is an unreasonable amount of time

Holy gosh. I sure do.

Then again I rarely eat four courses. Let alone have coffee/tea at the end, especially if I drank anything at all during the meal. And if I did drink during the meal I’m definitely not hitting four courses.

WE do not feel we need to pace our meals to match how you pace yourself or anyone else for that matter.

Well, but...you’re in public. You’re at a popular restaurant where you know there are others waiting, and where you probably had to wait. It might be worth thinking about a little bit.

We were brought up to treat meals as a time to discuss our day.

Isn’t that thinking for those who are separated by work and school all day? Aren’t you together in line most of the day during a Disney vacation?

This post got me thinking about big family dinners, like Thanksgiving. Don't you all put all the food out at once and just help yourselves during those types of meals? You eat at whatever pace you want, but the food is all laid out for the taking.

Exactly. And that’s my fave kind of meal. That way I can see what all is there and choose wisely.

On our last trip were were just trying to relax and enjoy the evening, and were constantly being asked if we needed this or that. It felt like they were subconsciously telling us to get the heck out if we were done.

They were asking what else they could get and do for you, and you felt that was them telling you to go? Many others would feel that that is kind and solicitous service.

I really don't understand why this place is still so popular. Nostalgia?

There are brand new diners at every restaurant every moment.

In general, children are in bed by somewhere between 7:00 and 8:00 PM so I cannot see how "Lots of families with kids waiting for their tables" enters the discussion.

Broader perspective is needed.

First off, by no means is everyone there from your time zone. Disney brings people from all over. 7 disneyworld time is 4 my time. You want me to put my kid to bed at 4 for his body’s time?

Second, it’s vacation.

Third, not everyone has kids who need to stick to strict schedules at home, so it’s definitely not going to happen on vacation.

Sort of like first you wrote one post about how long this meal should take and then quoted a google concentrating on ways to increase revenue, declared that as the definitive response on how long it takes the average person to eat a meal and went with that.

They said a feeling. Then they looked it up and reported on that.

She told us this was the only opportunity to see that character so if we were not ready we would miss that character. I kindly explained that we would see all of the characters during the meal, bank on it.

Out at Disneyland there’s* an expensive character meal where they seat you until 11 but the host characters are GONE at 10:30. No exceptions. A CM telling you that this is the final round of a character might very well know what they are talking about.

(*or maybe it’s changed now. I didn’t move that character meal so I only did it twice, and I think it’s all different now. But it used to be like that. We weren’t told by the hostess and were surprised by the lack of host characters.)

we had not even had the chance to remove our outerwear and put our umbrellas down

Isn’t that restaurant all the way inside the GF building and down a hallway? And on marble flooring? Maybe I’m misremembering from what I glimpsed while walking through. But it seems confusing that you still had outerwear and umbrellas on or out while being seated.

One thing we discovered is if you tell them you have TIW at beginning then you might get crappy service (as they get guaranteed 18% tip).

It’s never been true for me. And I know from my cousin’s experience that you can get that tip taken off if you talk to a manager. If you feel you got lousy service, speak up. Better yet, speak up while getting the lousy service.

Well, but...you’re in public. You’re at a popular restaurant where you know there are others waiting, and where you probably had to wait. It might be worth thinking about a little bit.

Isn’t that thinking for those who are separated by work and school all day? Aren’t you together in line most of the day during a Disney vacation?

Out at Disneyland there’s* an expensive character meal where they seat you until 11 but the host characters are GONE at 10:30. No exceptions. A CM telling you that this is the final round of a character might very well know what they are talking about.

(*or maybe it’s changed now. I didn’t move that character meal so I only did it twice, and I think it’s all different now. But it used to be like that. We weren’t told by the hostess and were surprised by the lack of host characters.)

Isn’t that restaurant all the way inside the GF building and down a hallway? And on marble flooring? Maybe I’m misremembering from what I glimpsed while walking through. But it seems confusing that you still had outerwear and umbrellas on or out while being seated.

I'll address the comments concerning me.

My family is extended. WE do not live under the same roof. When we vacation, or dine out together in general, we chat. I was raised that way. Raised my children that way and we still do. WHile on vacation we talk. When we are in WDW we tend to wander from the group, not all of us want to do the same things all day.

OUr meal at 1900 was not at the end of a character shift. Don't be confused, I had my jacket on as did the girls. We were wet and we were carting our umbrellas, etc to the table. The umbrellas were not open and dripping on the marble floor. . I still cannot figure why you are concerned about the floor. I had not even set my purse down when we were told to get ready for the character. Im paying way too much for a character experiencefor that kind of rush.

And if Ohana schedules tables to turn over every 1.5 hours and you take 2 hours at your table it is bumping into someone else's time. But, hey, that's okay as long as you do you.

This is an average. That doesn't mean that they expect everyone to be out in no more than 1.5 hours... it means that over the course of the night you have some that take less, some that take more and it averages out. For every person who is lingering for 2+ hours there are probably 4 tables that turn over in an hour or less because they have little kids who can't sit that long for a meal (something I appreciated about this format of meal when my son was younger.) 'Ohana has consistently long waits during prime meal time in spite of basically bombarding you with food the second you sit down so I think it is more an overbooking issue than the occasional person who likes to linger over their meal. 2+ hours is not typical but also IMO not something worth lambasting someone else over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter