Need to vent on 'Ohana experience

In terms of food safety rules can the food be given to another table after it's already been dropped on at another?

No. Once it is put down, if you don't want it, it goes in the trash.

So, if you are going to do this, make sure you speak up BEFORE the plate hits your table.

That's what I was thinking. So only way it can easily go to another table is if it's done prior to it being put down on the table by whomever. Not a bad idea just gotta get the timing right.

Right, exactly. In OP's case, it would have been very easy to say to the food runner "no thank you, we aren't ready for it yet", and then he or she could have taken it away.

I really don't understand why this place is still so popular. Nostalgia?

We haven't eaten there in a few years. The last time we did, I believe we waited close to an hour to be seated after our ADR. One of my kids actually fell asleep at the table. And the food wasn't worth the price. We haven't even attempted to book it again. There are far better choices at Disney.

This is the picture perfect definition of a first world problem. Lol. Kinda sad. But I took part in the discussion also. So no stones thrown. In honour of this time of year.

Last edited:

See that? Not a name or feat that I do more than glaze my eyes over once a year although I'm sure his family members and admirers are proud of his notoriety:).

Your link was focused on revenue increasing and not representative of all dining spots, thank goodness. I find it useful figuring out the current mindset of restaurateurs but it doesn't mean I or anyone else needs to adhere to it. I also don't follow the philosophy of " If you find it on the internet it must be true" as just as easily I can find a link (or 6) that refutes it;). I'm not posting links since I actually know how I eat and most people I'm acquainted with.
YOU are the one who said eating within 75-90 mins was like a hot dog eating contest. And mentioned something about an eating disorder if eating so fast (75 mins). I mention Joey and you get all snarky. I mention eating for 2 hours and the size of the person (to counter your eating disorder comment) ad you get snarky. What the heck???

Also, my google of how long restaurants turn over tables...and folks are like 'oh do Google is gospel' snark. Well it is a FACT that restaurants have a set turnover time as they set up resies. They do have a plan...and a time they like to follow. My 75-90 mins or whatever I found on google...of course that's not necessarily exact...for Ohana. But I am willing to bet 2.5 hours is NOT their turnover time. So you wanting 2.5 hours IS eating into someone else's time.

And I agree with the newer posts that say that Ohana is family style cooking in bulk to be dumped on table, no ordering off menu. And further more, it's a type of meal to be all eaten together. I like the apps and meats all together with the peanut sauce. My frustration at Ohana is when we ask for more sauce and it never comes and we ask again and still it doesn't arrive until we're done eating. Also, like to get bar drinks and would get 2-3 each but they never keep them coming (that is a big issue all over WDW). And when it's time to pay, we sit there and sit there waiting for bill and then wait again for them to take bill/payment and we use TIW card so that adds time (and if you want to pay with MB.....that used to be added time). But I agree with those who say the food all comes like a well oiled assembly line...and you don't have to eat it fast. But I think most folks would also agree to stay for 2.5 hours is pushing into rude for the next guests who want that table.

This isn't the local pub at home....this is a high demand themed restaurant at Disney. Lots of families with kids waiting for their tables. The staff have to keep things moving along. Our experience at Cali Grill....the place had empty tables all night long. I think there they do under book and have long turnover times. It's a high end dining experience so they want calm peaceful atmosphere. ANd the servers are getting bigger tips so they can spend more time on each table. Plus there are lounges all over for the social talking and having drinks with friends. There is even a really good one at Poly (Trader Sam's).

Last edited:
YOU are the one who said eating within 75-90 mins was like a hot dog eating contest. And mentioned something about being anorexic or eating disorder. I mention Joey and you get all snarky. I mention eating for 2 hours and the size of the person (to counter your anorexic comment) ad you get snarky. What the heck???

Also, my google of how long restaurants turn over tables...and folks are like 'oh do Google is gospel' snark. Well it is a FACT that restaurants have a set turnover time as they set up resies. They do have a plan...and a time they like to follow. My 75-90 mins or whatever I found on google...of course that's not necessarily exact...for Ohana. But I am willing to bet 2.5 hours is NOT their turnover time. So you wanting 2.5 hours IS eating into someone else's time.

And I agree with the newer posts that say that Ohana is family style cooking in bulk to be dumped on table, no ordering off menu. And further more, it's a type of meal to be all eaten together. I like the apps and meats all together with the peanut sauce. My frustration at Ohana is when we ask for more sauce and it never comes and we ask again and still it doesn't arrive until we're done eating. Also, like to get bar drinks and would get 2-3 each but they never keep them coming (that is a big issue all over WDW). And when it's time to pay, we sit there and sit there waiting for bill and then wait again for them to take bill/payment and we use TIW card so that adds time (and if you want to pay with MB.....that used to be added time). But I agree with those who say the food all comes like a well oiled assembly line...and you don't have to eat it fast. But I think most folks would also agree to stay for 2.5 hours is pushing into rude for the next guests who want that table.

This isn't the local pub at home....this is a high demand themed restaurant at Disney. Lots of families with kids waiting for their tables. The staff have to keep things moving along. Our experience at Cali Grill....the place had empty tables all night long. I think there they do under book and have long turnover times. It's a high end dining experience so they want calm peaceful atmosphere. ANd the servers are getting bigger tips so they can spend more time on each table. Plus there are lounges all over for the social talking and having drinks with friends. There is even a really good one at Poly (Trader Sam's).
110% correct. Period

15-20 years ago it was a great place. The food was amazing. The meats at the time were cooked correctly and did not have weird sauces on them. The service was very good and timely. The entertainment was fun. It was just a completely different place. They have suffered from their own success probably due to poor management. They keep trying to get as many people in as possible that everything is suffering for it. I don't know why they could not just open from lunch on or just let it be someplace that is extremely hard to get into.

^^This! Fond memories of the night we got engaged 20 years ago. We actually walked in and were given a window seat without asking. We fell in love with the food and ambiance and would go every trip until maybe 10 years ago when it started to slide. Like you said, it's probably a vicim of its own success. Things started slowly dropping off the menu and the service got worse and worse. They have a lot of people who want in and they have to push and mass produce to get them in. People keep coming so they have no incentive to get better. Le Cellier is the same. Everything used to be so fresh and the legendary breadsticks were fantastic... The free dining plan single credit killed that place awhile ago. With DVC a lot of nights we just eat frozen pizzas in the room. I'll be sad if Spice Road Table ever slides, so far so good with that place but for some reason it's rarely crowded.

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking to receive your drink first. If the server had just been astute enough to get the drink when requested everything else could possibly have been avoided.

No. Once it is put down, if you don't want it, it goes in the trash.

So, if you are going to do this, make sure you speak up BEFORE the plate hits your table.

In my very limited experience with Ohana, the food runners are just that - runners. They seem to drop the food on your table or plate so quickly that you don't have time to ask questions or stop them. I'm a vegetarian and the few times we went I ended up with meat on my plate before I could stop them. And that was with a note on our reservation that indicated I was a vegetarian. I honestly think they follow the "don't ask for permission, ask for forgiveness" policy and would rather speed through service at the expense of wasting a bunch of food rather than slow things down long enough for servers/food runners to get a good sense of what's going on.

No it just says the average time restaurants plan to turn over tables. So I am sure Ohana plans 1 hour and 45 mins like average. So one staying 2.5 hours is eating into other folks' time. That's why I always wait 30+ mins past my ADR there.
The difference at a place like Ohana is there is no wait time to look at the menu, and then wait for your food to cook, which can be quite some time when food is cooked to order. Their food is ready to go, so it makes sense that the dining experience would be shorter here. That said, it would be nice if you didn't feel rushed!

This post got me thinking about big family dinners, like Thanksgiving. Don't you all put all the food out at once and just help yourselves during those types of meals? You eat at whatever pace you want, but the food is all laid out for the taking. Ohana is like this. Just because the food is placed on your table/plate, doesn't mean you have to scarf it all down instantly. Just serve up your plates as desired and pace yourselves. That is what "family style" dining is. I don't see why it matters when the food is put down? As far as I'm concerned, at WDW, by the time I sit down for ANY meal, I'm ready to eat! Last couple times we went to Ohana, we got the salad before our drinks came around (but we had water). We all served ourselves and started eating, but we didn't HAVE to.
It won't stay hot though, if you want to wait to eat.

^^This! Fond memories of the night we got engaged 20 years ago. We actually walked in and were given a window seat without asking. We fell in love with the food and ambiance and would go every trip until maybe 10 years ago when it started to slide. Like you said, it's probably a vicim of its own success. Things started slowly dropping off the menu and the service got worse and worse. They have a lot of people who want in and they have to push and mass produce to get them in. People keep coming so they have no incentive to get better. Le Cellier is the same. Everything used to be so fresh and the legendary breadsticks were fantastic... The free dining plan single credit killed that place awhile ago. With DVC a lot of nights we just eat frozen pizzas in the room. I'll be sad if Spice Road Table ever slides, so far so good with that place but for some reason it's rarely crowded.

My go to "comfort" food now is the ham and cheese on a baquette from France. I take one of those back to my room a lot of evenings and enjoy it while relaxing in the room.

Went back recently after a long break, used to be my favorite place. Basically you have to set a pace you are happy with. They bought out our apps and started bringing skeweres. We refused them and told them we weren’t ready for that yet. We ordered more of the apps that we liked, they brought over more meat in the meantime and we again refused it. When we were finished with the apps we told them we would take meat now. I’m at the table I’m eating at my pace, I don’t care if the table doesn’t get turned over in the time they want. I’m paying a premium price I’m going to enjoy my meal!

I don’t care if the table doesn’t get turned over in the time they want.
Don't expect you to, or even to know that a metric exists :D. We're just coming up with possible explanations why the OP's service was so fast and disappointing.

I o not like my apps served with my main. I like my salad first. I liked the wings next. After that I don't care. It's my preference and there was a time that preferences mattered at 'Ohana. For the most part, they no longer do. I remember the 'Ohana that many of us enjoyed, and while I am okay with change, I am not okay with the chaotic and hectic pace that has now been introduced there. It is high demand, but there are other restaurants within WDW property that are as well, and they are not compacting the dining time in order to herd more people in and out. I spent much of my life in food service and I quite understand the difference between allowing a reasonable turnover time and overbooking in order to account for no shows, etc, which I think is often what is occurring in this restaurant. The problem is that with the CC hold there are probably fewer noshow guests. The answer to that little predicament is to increase the pace to ensure everyone gets in. The fact that this restaurant generally is way behind is a telltale sign that they are over optimistic in their turnover metric. As a guest who is paying for a meal in good faith, their problem is not mine. I should not feel compelled to rush or to change my preferences in order to accommodate the greed of the establishment.

The last time my family dined there is our last time. It is my practice to discuss a problem if I have an interest in returning. After that very expensive, horrible dining experience we are never returning.

Well, the explanation is that the OP's request to slow down the food was ignored, no matter with the metric is. That's the crux of the issue and a well deserved complaint.

Bingo

and while I am okay with change, I am not okay with the chaotic and hectic pace that has now been introduced there. It is high demand, but there are other restaurants within WDW property that are as well, and they are not compacting the dining time in order to herd more people in and out
But no other high-demand restaurant onsite serves the way 'Ohana does - not even Whispering Canyon et al.

This isn't the local pub at home....this is a high demand themed restaurant at Disney. Lots of families with kids waiting for their tables. The staff have to keep things moving along.

This is a good point. In addition to them needing to turn over quickly to accommodate so many guests, often guests WANT to dine quickly because they've got places to be. Especially in the age of scheduling FPs or BBB appointments or making it in time for fireworks or parades. People watch the clock at Disney because they need to be at places at certain times, and often people WANT a quick dining experience so they can stay on schedule and not waste potential park time.

In my very limited experience with Ohana, the food runners are just that - runners. They seem to drop the food on your table or plate so quickly that you don't have time to ask questions or stop them. I'm a vegetarian and the few times we went I ended up with meat on my plate before I could stop them. And that was with a note on our reservation that indicated I was a vegetarian. I honestly think they follow the "don't ask for permission, ask for forgiveness" policy and would rather speed through service at the expense of wasting a bunch of food rather than slow things down long enough for servers/food runners to get a good sense of what's going on.

Same experience for me, however as I recall it, they are dropping off plates of food rather than serving it onto my own plate. If they set the plate of noodles down on my table and I say "no thank you" before their hand comes off the plate, I would doubt that they have to take it back and throw it out. I don't know the actual rules so I'm just speculating, but I'm envisioning a scenario where the OP can see what is happening and instantaneously just says "no thank you, we're not ready for that yet and don't want to eat it cold", and then the food runner can just take it back. I totally understand the need to toss the food once the runner has left or if it comes in contact with a guest's plate or other food, but there's a brief window where this is not the case yet.

I think one of the challenges of Disney is that they create such a high standard of expectation once you experienced their customer service, that’s it’s so easy to get disappointed over such small things...

What usually happens is you get a perfect experience once, twice, three times when you don’t even know what to expect... then you expect it to be the same every time (while Nostalgia also has a part in making the memory perfect), and in reality it’s really hard to control from the viewpoint of operating business.

I find the trick is to enjoy regardless. Remember that overall Disney tries it’s best, give them as much feedback as possible (because unlike others, they act on it and they value it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter