New DVC purchase - a few questions

Points banked into your 2021 UY must be used before the end of that UY. In your case (March UY), they would expire on Feb 28, 2022.
Thanks, that's a point I hadn't picked up on. Most advice on UY is that it only really matters if you cancel, but in our case, wanting to travel to Hawaii in May 2022, a June or August UY would have worked much better.

Drat! We mainly travel school hols in August so thought that by having a March UY which would still allow us to bank if we cancelled up to August, we were covered :(

Thanks, that's a point I hadn't picked up on. Most advice on UY is that it only really matters if you cancel, but in our case, wanting to travel to Hawaii in May 2022, a June or August UY would have worked much better.

Drat! We mainly travel school hols in August so thought that by having a March UY which would still allow us to bank if we cancelled up to August, we were covered :(

while you could still use the points for a stay that late into your UY if you had a June UY, you would be taking more of a risk as a cancellation would leave you with limited options to scramble to use the points without losing them for zero value.

always start by figuring what UY your trip falls into - a May 2022 trip would fall into your March 2022 UY (covering stays from March 1, 2022 to Feb 28, 2023) - so you'd have access to current 2022 UY pts + banked 2021 UY pts (if any) + borrowed 2023 UY pts (if needed).

you may benefit from consulting and bookmarking this thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/understanding-use-year-updated-april-27-2016.1942668/

while you could still use the points for a stay that late into your UY if you had a June UY, you would be taking more of a risk as a cancellation would leave you with limited options to scramble to use the points without losing them for zero value.

always start by figuring what UY your trip falls into - a May 2022 trip would fall into your March 2022 UY (covering stays from March 1, 2022 to Feb 28, 2023) - so you'd have access to current 2022 UY pts + banked 2021 UY pts (if any) + borrowed 2023 UY pts (if needed).

you may benefit from consulting and bookmarking this thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/understanding-use-year-updated-april-27-2016.1942668/
Thanks, I had read that thread. It states in bold "Use year only matters if you have to cancel a vacation that was scheduled to occur late in your use year"

While I'm sure this is mostly the case, its a misleading statement, as the UY matters in the scenario I have described where we want our banked points to run into the next UY period. I read that statement and took it literally without fully understanding the full implications.

I followed the advice about making sure we got a UY that was within 7 or 8 months of our regular travel date, but are still impacted and a June/August UY would have been ideal for us, even with the risk of lost points due to cancellation.

We'll make it work by renting the spare points out, but I think the thread needs an update.

Last edited:
If you do over borrow, you can ask MS after booking to only use the banked and borrowed points for the new reservations. That way you can bank the regular points into the next UY.

:earsboy: Bill
From what I was told, dont banked and borrowed points AUTOMATICALLY get used first even if you do NOT ask?

With DVC I have learned not to assume that anything is automatic.

:earsboy: Bill

Thanks, I had read that thread. It states in bold "Use year only matters if you have to cancel a vacation that was scheduled to occur late in your use year"

While I'm sure this is mostly the case, its a misleading statement, as the UY matters in the scenario I have described where we want our banked points to run into the next UY period. I read that statement and took it literally without fully understanding the full implications. We'll make it work by renting the spare points out, but I think the thread needs an update.
issue
Your problem is not when your UY is, but rather what you want to do with points from 2 years prior to your 2022 UY. If you had a June UY, then you could have banked 2020 points, used your 2021 allotment and borrowed from 2022 for a May 2022 trip but booking so late in your UY (those points would all expire on May 31, 2022) is very risky. If you had to cancel, you would have to scramble to use those points before they expired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter