• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NEW-EST...DOLPHIN/SWAN..."questions and answers"...tips and hints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are two more from our June trip...
DD and View from the balcony
DSCN3145.jpg

DD in front of the Dolphin... seems like not too many people take a photo of this location! :goodvibes
DSCN3229-1.jpg

We have just returned from a 6 night stay at the Swan and loved it.
We had a limited room booked with the teacher discount but asked at check in how much an upgrade would be as we were celebrating our 22nd Wedding Anniversary and had not spent as much as we had budgeted for on our 11 night villa stay in Englewood and 2 nights in Miami Beach. We got Room 523 East which had a view of the beach and lake.
The room had just been renovated and was very clean and smelt fresh. The upgrade was $30 per night which was reasonable to us especially with the favourable currency rates. ( have queried this pm if we could have got the upgrade at a cheaper rate as I did join the Starwood P. G. programme but didn't find out about that until looking at TripAdvisor this evening as I was going to post a review) We did get a fridge free of charge as some of DH's medication needs to be cool so overall I feel we got a good price.
DH has a disabled parking badge but we used the self-parking as valet parking was $16 and self parking $9.00 per night. As we hired an ECV being able to use the boat to EPCOT or MGM or walk to both parks was a bonus as it meant that we didn't have to lift the ECV in and out of the Jeep we hired.
Our housekeeping lady was very friendly and kept our room very clean. As we like to go to the parks early and then have a rest in the pm and then return we asked for the room to be cleaned before 1 pm and it was done each day ready for our return.
The concierge advised us to leave the ECV in the room next to his desk so it could charge overnight and not clutter up our room.
All the staff were very friendly and we ate at the Mediterrean Market for lunch at the Dolphin and had a snack at the poolside grill at the Swan all of which was very good.
No smells, apart from one elevator we called the gravy elevator as it smelled of gravy each day and the lobby area had the smell of the water which we noticed all over Florida. As there are lots of Swan fountains around the hotel the air is rather humid especially early in the morning.
The beds are very comfortable we had a king size which was very spacious.

Just to confirm we did have a balcony which was very useful when DH had a longer rest than I needed and for people watching first thing in the morning.
One morning I walked over to the Boardwalk bakery for breakfast for us.
Do have some photos which will download asap.
We also used the buses a couple of times but it was a long process loading up the ECV.
Any questions please feel free to ask.

Welcome back Yorkshiregirl, sounds like you had a nice stay! We were in room 530 at the Swan back in May, so your room was just down the hall from ours! I'm glad you were able to secure the upgrade at such a great rate!

I'd love to see some of your photos when you have the time! :)

Oh, and happy belated 22nd anniversary!

Anniverstrawberries.gif

Question for you Dolphin vets-what do you use to get to from the Dolphin, as you can't use DME?

Since we've been flying we always rent a car but some use towncar or limos and Mears shuttle services. Very often car rental rates can be low enough that for $20-$30 more, we can rent a car for the duration of our stay. (When you factor in a roundtrip towncar PLUS tipping the driver.) That's not always the case however! It pays to shop around to get the better deal for you and your family. :)

We arrive at the Dolphin on Thursday - woo hoo! Any questions or info anyone would like me to check out?

We arrive at the Dolphin on Thursday - woo hoo! Any questions or info anyone would like me to check out?

I have a question! If you have the time would you mind seeing if the coffee shop is opened yet? I think it was going to be called Java and was supposed to be located just off the main lobby.

Have a great trip!

Yes! I read about it a few years ago Dan, but never saw it come to fruition.

In May when they handed us our key cards in that little portfolio there's a listing of the restaurants, and one is "Java Bar." I thought maybe that was it.

Hey all!!

This thread is great, this site is awesome. I must admit I haven't read all 200+ pages as I was looking for more recent info.

My wife and I have 4-daughters, ages 20mos to 9yrs. We are not newcomers to Disney, we've gone around 6-8 times. I'm just looking for some feedback on the following:

We've always driven from Michigan to Orlando, we are flying this year. We've always stayed at All-Star or Pop-Century before, this will be a first for us at the Swan. (got a great rate of $125) We are staying our first & last night at Pop-Century to take advantage of the Disney Transportation to and fro the airport. We don't get into Orlando until 11:56pm.

So, if you're still with me, here are a few of my questions/concerns.

I did sign up to be a Starwood Preferred Guest, but after I booked the room. Would an "upgrade" upon check-in be likely?

How much hassle is it going to be to transfer luggage from Pop-Century to the Swan and back?

Will the late check-in pose any problems? Other than not being able to use the luggage service on Magical Express.

With the four girls, should we have booked the Dolphin instead of Swan?

Any other info/advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! We leave Detroit on Sat. Aug 4th. and return Sat. Aug 11th. We are at the Swan the 5th thru the 10th.

Thanks again...

Hey all!!

This thread is great, this site is awesome. I must admit I haven't read all 200+ pages as I was looking for more recent info.

My wife and I have 4-daughters, ages 20mos to 9yrs. We are not newcomers to Disney, we've gone around 6-8 times. I'm just looking for some feedback on the following:

We've always driven from Michigan to Orlando, we are flying this year. We've always stayed at All-Star or Pop-Century before, this will be a first for us at the Swan. (got a great rate of $125) We are staying our first & last night at Pop-Century to take advantage of the Disney Transportation to and fro the airport. We don't get into Orlando until 11:56pm.
We also got the 125 rate. This is a GREAT RATE. The best in years.

So, if you're still with me, here are a few of my questions/concerns.

I did sign up to be a Starwood Preferred Guest, but after I booked the room. Would an "upgrade" upon check-in be likely?
Go onto the Starwood site, look up your reservation, if it's not there, call Starwood and request they put it there. When you talk/write to Starwood tell them your desires. I had to call this time as the 125 rate did not show up. It is our 35th anniversary so I requested an upgrade to a balcony/king room. You can also write in the request after they post your ressie to the Starwood site.

How much hassle is it going to be to transfer luggage from Pop-Century to the Swan and back?
None, the Pop will transfer it for you. Let them know at check in. Swan will do same.

Will the late check-in pose any problems? Other than not being able to use the luggage service on Magical Express.

With the four girls, should we have booked the Dolphin instead of Swan?
The Swan has queen beds, Dolphin double. You did right.

Any other info/advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! We leave Detroit on Sat. Aug 4th. and return Sat. Aug 11th. We are at the Swan the 5th thru the 10th.
We'll be at the Dolphin 7-13! I'll look for a family w 4 girls at the pool and give the peace sign.:hippie:

Thanks again...
Have a magical trip. You will love the hotel and area. Especially the heavenly beds.:cloud9:

It sounds like your questions have been answered. Have a great trip! We loved staying at the Swan/Dolphin before we became DVC members. We still stay there occasionally. Our little boy still ask "When are we staying at the fishy hotel"... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter