New Jersey - Favorite Restaurants?

Another blast from the past.

The Manor is where we had our prom, way, way, WAY back in '76.
Ramapo HS, class of '76

Us too! New Milford HS class of 1989. :thumbsup2
As for restaurants, I love Sanducci's in River Edge-I have yet to find better eggplant rollantini anywhere.

Best pancakes are at Matthew's Diner in Bergenfield. Best fries with cheese and gravy are at River Edge Diner in River Edge.

For Mexican I really like Chapala Grill in Bergenfield.

Chain-love Houston's at Riverside Square.

My husband and I both went to William Paterson. I never went to the Big Jim's in Haledon, though I lived 2 blocks from the Big Jim's in New Milford when I grew up and had food from there often! I remember once in grammar school my little brother and I went up there for pizza for an entire week straight at lunchtime and on Friday the guy gave us free slices for being such good customers. LOL

Sal de Forte's - the Burg
Good Times Tavern - the Burg
Basically anywhere in the Burg
Mastoris - Bordentown (cheese bread)

Can't anyone give me some restaurants in the Western NJ area? We're in western Morris County and can get easily to Hackettstown, Budd Lake, Sussex, over into areas of Warren or go east towards Dover/Denville area as well.

I've seen a few that I've heard of over the years, but I'm a NYC girl who married an East Brunswick boy. I know of a lot of these places from his stories growing up.

DH has been dying to take me over to Rutt's Hut but the thought of fried hot dogs is too much for my arteries!

Bula World Cuisine - Newton
Andrees - Also Newton
The Homestead - Lafayette
Sunday Brunch at Perona Farms - Andover

Can't anyone give me some restaurants in the Western NJ area? We're in western Morris County and can get easily to Hackettstown, Budd Lake, Sussex, over into areas of Warren or go east towards Dover/Denville area as well.

I've seen a few that I've heard of over the years, but I'm a NYC girl who married an East Brunswick boy. I know of a lot of these places from his stories growing up.

DH has been dying to take me over to Rutt's Hut but the thought of fried hot dogs is too much for my arteries!

My sis lives in that area. I'll have to ask her today. She's fairly new to that area. I've only been to Crackle Barrel with her over there.

I love Cafe Metro in Denville - it's vegan, but very good. They have good pizza believe it or not. They also have very cute shops in Denville.

Rattle Snake Cafe in Denville we used to go to. I'm not sure if it's there anymore.

The Exchange in Rockaway is another cool place.

Portafino in Oak Ridge was pretty good.

And my mom loves The Garlic Rose,Cranford. Yes - it's all food with garlic in it. Somehow I can't imagine you smelling like a rose after eating there. :upsidedow

That's all I can think of right now.

My sis lives in that area. I'll have to ask her today. She's fairly new to that area. I've only been to Crackle Barrel with her over there.

I love Cafe Metro in Denville - it's vegan, but very good. They have good pizza believe it or not. They also have very cute shops in Denville.

Rattle Snake Cafe in Denville we used to go to. I'm not sure if it's there anymore.

The Exchange in Rockaway is another cool place.

Portafino in Oak Ridge was pretty good.

And my mom loves The Garlic Rose,Cranford. Yes - it's all food with garlic in it. Somehow I can't imagine you smelling like a rose after eating there. :upsidedow

That's all I can think of right now.

Rattlesnake Ranch Cafe is still there. If you like the food there - the former chef left around 2000 and opened his own restaurant/pub in Stanhope - Shakey Jakes. He has an amazing Steak Au Poive(sp?) and the clams are fantastic!!!

Hot Dog Johnnys- Buttzville
Charlottes Web -Dover
Angelos- Atlantic City

Angelos! He was in DH's fraternity in college- we were all in school together at Rider. Love Angelo's!!! And Angelo himself!:goodvibes

Also, OP- Forno's is awesome in Newark, along with Don Pepe's- they are both DH's clients, he's their accountant, and we LOVE going there!:goodvibes

Papa's does make great tomato pies!

Do you remember some of the old ones that are gone -

Crecco's in the Burg
Old Heidelberg in Hamilton Township
Seafood Shanty in Ewing

It's nice to see someone from my neck of the woods post!

Sal de Forte's - the Burg
Good Times Tavern - the Burg
Basically anywhere in the Burg
Mastoris - Bordentown (cheese bread)

I used to go to Seafood Shanty ALL the time when I was little. It's now a Rite-Aid :sad2: . They were SO much better than Red Lobster or any chain seafood place. Really miss it.

Sal de Forte's is a favorite of my old boss. She always talked about it. Still haven't had the chance to go but have been meaning to. Mastoris has the best cheese bread by far. Delicious!

And I really really miss the Ground Round! We went every Sunday after my soccer games, and at least twice a month when there wasn't soccer. And we went for their New Years Eve parties. :cool1:

hmmm

Laughing Lion in Dover
Pub 199 in Mt Arlington
If your looking for breakfast or lunch the Denville Diner is always good (Im partial, I have family who own it)

casa de pasta on sussex turnpike in randolph

Also go to restaurant.com I think there is an additionl % off code right now. I have a GC for Mangia in Wharton I need to go try out.

Is The Barn still in Wyckoff?

And we always used to ditch class to go get the best ice cream, at least to a teen. I think it was called Sicomac Dairy.

I used to go to Seafood Shanty ALL the time when I was little. It's now a Rite-Aid :sad2: . They were SO much better than Red Lobster or any chain seafood place. Really miss it.

Sal de Forte's is a favorite of my old boss. She always talked about it. Still haven't had the chance to go but have been meaning to. Mastoris has the best cheese bread by far. Delicious!

And I really really miss the Ground Round! We went every Sunday after my soccer games, and at least twice a month when there wasn't soccer. And we went for their New Years Eve parties. :cool1:

Chambersburg is getting lonely.
Sal de Forte's moved to Ewing last year.
Marsillio's is only open for private parties (they cater as well).
I think John Henry's is moving (or already did).
Diamonds relocated to Ewing then closed.

We also miss Ground Round!
Mastoris has the best breakfast...cinnamon bread is great too. I remember the original diner...now it's a huge food complex (they just opened a sports bar across the parking lot).

Chambersburg is getting lonely.
Sal de Forte's moved to Ewing last year.
Marsillio's is only open for private parties (they cater as well).
I think John Henry's is moving (or already did).
Diamonds relocated to Ewing then closed.

We also miss Ground Round!
Mastoris has the best breakfast...cinnamon bread is great too. I remember the original diner...now it's a huge food complex (they just opened a sports bar across the parking lot).

Oh my gosh I totally forgot that Sal de Forte's is now in Serenity Plaza! That complex has gotten a huge boost since they added the extra space! Definitely going to go there in the next couple weeks since it's less than two miles away!

One of the other places I've been (once) and really liked the atmosphere and food was Tessara's in Hamilton. We went with a bunch of family for a graduation dinner in May and it was the best meal I had had in a long time. My DBIL recommended two dishes- steak and pasta. The pasta was to die for and he gave me a bite of his steak and it was cooked to perfection. Really need to get back there soon!

Angelos! He was in DH's fraternity in college- we were all in school together at Rider. Love Angelo's!!! And Angelo himself!:goodvibes

Also, OP- Forno's is awesome in Newark, along with Don Pepe's- they are both DH's clients, he's their accountant, and we LOVE going there!:goodvibes

OMG, love Forno's. Go there with partners sometimes when we're in the area or coming through from a business meeting. I think I like it more than Don Pepe's too.

hmmm

Laughing Lion in Dover
Pub 199 in Mt Arlington
If your looking for breakfast or lunch the Denville Diner is always good (Im partial, I have family who own it)

casa de pasta on sussex turnpike in randolph

Also go to restaurant.com I think there is an additionl % off code right now. I have a GC for Mangia in Wharton I need to go try out.

I have friends who love Pub 199...I've avoided it because I know my older son wouldn't be thrilled with eating while sitting under the stuffed heads of so many animals but I think I'll go w/ DH and ask my mom to watch the boys one night.

I live in Flanders, so I pass Casa de Pasta often. Might have to try it out. And I'll have to get over to the Denville Diner some day. We recently had dinner up at the Jefferson Diner and have met the mom (she was featured on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives for her mousaka) and DH had it...was fantastic.

I have friends who love Pub 199...I've avoided it because I know my older son wouldn't be thrilled with eating while sitting under the stuffed heads of so many animals but I think I'll go w/ DH and ask my mom to watch the boys one night.

I live in Flanders, so I pass Casa de Pasta often. Might have to try it out. And I'll have to get over to the Denville Diner some day. We recently had dinner up at the Jefferson Diner and have met the mom (she was featured on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives for her mousaka) and DH had it...was fantastic.

yeah I saw that episode.. very cool. My sisters godfther used to own it years back.

My parents actually owned the dinner in 206 in Flanders across the McDonalds. They sold it few months ago.. not sure what is in there now.

Did you ever go to Big Jim's in Haledon, too? :)

This is interesting: One day last week, I had on the People's Court waiting for the news to come on. A guy on that show was suing Calico Kitchen for getting sick there!

No, I don't think I ever went to Big Jim's.

Awww, Calico Kitchen - we went there for breakfast the day after DH and I got married. We went with our best man and matron of honor. Then that was the last place we went out to before our DD was born. But Calico Kitchen is no longer there.

We like:

The Lafayette House (in Lafayette) - for lunch, dinner or brunch
Longhorn Steakhouse (yeah, I know it's a chain, but it's now our favorite) in Mt. Olive
Charlie Brown's in Hackettstown (I know, another chain!)
Agree on Perona Farms bruch in Andover
Also Adam Todd brunch in Byram
Ruth's Chris in Parsippany

Many favorites have closed over the past few years, but these are some good ones:

Elements of Asia in Lawrenceville
Amici Milano in Chambersburg (Trenton)
Papa's Tomato Pies in Chambersburg (better than DiLorenzos)
Makeda in New Brunswick
Cafe Gallery in Burlington
Lambertville Station
Ship Inn in Milford
and an awesome Greek restaurant in Highland Park...can't remember the name.

Are you talking about Pithari which is relatively new - a couple of years old? I love that place. However, I know a lot of people who hate it. There's also 7 Hills of Istanbul which is really good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter