New Lockers- standard size now $2

We saw the small lockers everywhere on our trip (except for FJ). They fit a lightly filled backpack for one of us. Three kids will have to put their string backpacks in separate lockers and fingerprint readers are notorious at not reading kids fingerprints well. Annoying.

And one reason we didn't get a refillable cup was the hassle is putting them in lockers. But if they make enough on charging everyone for lockers maybe it overcomes the lose of revenue on the cups.

One thing I love about Uni is that they seem to put convenience over petty nickel and diming. Something I love about it over Disney. This makes our trip less convenient when traveling with multiple kids. Makes me love Uni just a little bit less.

Edited to add that now I remember that most of the rides now use the card reader instead of fingerprints. That alleviates some of my frustration.

But I really hate the marketing speak. It's not going to be convenient to have my entire family of 5 filling the locker area instead of 1 of us. No matter how you slice it, this helps no one. Just be upfront that you need to start charging to see a return on your investment or the space or whatever. Stop trying to pretend this is somehow for my benefit.

Last edited:
We saw the small lockers everywhere on our trip (except for FJ). They fit a lightly filled backpack for one of us. Three kids will have to put their string backpacks in separate lockers
Was thinking the same thing. We usually carry one backpack and put everything in it. Hats, sunscreen bandaids, etc. Being that we are staying on site this time, maybe we can downsize.

Was thinking the same thing. We usually carry one backpack and put everything in it. Hats, sunscreen bandaids, etc. Being that we are staying on site this time, maybe we can downsize.

It turned out pretty well for us to have the kids carry their own backpacks. They got nice string ones from their school this year. DD10 and DD8 each carried one with their jackets, wands, sunglasses, and snacks. DH and I carried one bottle of sunscreen for all of us, our jackets, and DS6's stuff. He's not responsible enough to carry his own backpack yet and we did not want to be constantly doubling back to find it from places he'd left it.

I agree with others that a lunch in the less warm months will fit. A smaller, soft sided cooler will probably fit if lightly packed. Or a kid's soft sided lunch box for those that want to bring one. You're just going to have to pack in multiple small packs if you're a large family to avoid the cost. It's going to make the areas more congested for everyone though (since each person will have to scan their pass).

EveDallas, since it is a medical need that you have to keep your son’s medicine cool, have you checked with the first aid stations in the park to see if they would store the medicine for you?

It’s worth a shot to find out

But if it is medicine your child would need within an immediate time period, maybe it would not be something to check out

Anyone can have their souvenirs sent to the front of the park to pick up at end of day - this is quite easy and hassle-free.

I don't carry enough in the parks for it to effect me. Small camera (which also fits in my pocket), phone, money / ticket / CC, coins for smashing penny machines. I find it easier to avoid the lockers entirely except for the metal detector rides.

Never been to another park with free ride lockers, so even free small ones is a perk over Six Flags and others.

Going bagless at the parks has been such a freeing experience for our family. Couldn't, wouldn't, go back to being pack mules.
We take our lanyards and our phones. Easy Peasy!

They have always allowed peeps to bring food in but nothing like hauling in a large picnic basket
Some peeps have dietary restrictions so they do bring foods for the day
Most rent the all day lockers when they do and store it there
It is a one fee allowing all day usage of opening and closing their family locker

AND spending the time to to walk all the to the locker and then back anytime access is needed.

I'll say it - I'm pissed. My son requires medication that needs to be kept cold and other medical supplies. This requires a backpack that will not fit in the small lockers (believe me, I've tried). Now I get to look forward to spending 16 - 20 bucks a day on lockers. It's a very Disney-esqe money grab.

Hi I totally understand my daughter in now on meds plus other necessary items and I have to carry a small backpack. If the lockers won't work for me I am going to talk to guess relations if I could at least get an all day larger locker for a discount in each park so the meds and supplies can be in the park. I can't have them in the resort hotel it is too far if she needs it.

As far as the cups go they need to follow six flags. I love the cup holders six flags has installed at all their rides. This would help in that area. We also have the free-style cups and I agree I am not emptying it each time I need a locker. I think I am going to send them a letter about that as well.

My biggest issue with this is that for the rides we all go on, I was able to use one locker for all of us - my cross-body, my daughter's small bag and wand and my husband's backpack - he is the carrier of the water and ponchos!! :)
One of us could go into the locker area and it was much quicker and easier. Now, if we don't want to pay, we will all have to enter the locker area and use separate lockers...ASSUMING they fit a wand...which, if they don't, is a HUGE oversight!

It is probably a bigger issue for those not staying onsite...I find a noticeable difference in what we carry when we are staying onsite vs. offsite.

It will be interesting to see how they respond.

My biggest issue with this is that for the rides we all go on, I was able to use one locker for all of us - my cross-body, my daughter's small bag and wand and my husband's backpack - he is the carrier of the water and ponchos!! :)
One of us could go into the locker area and it was much quicker and easier. Now, if we don't want to pay, we will all have to enter the locker area and use separate lockers...ASSUMING they fit a wand...which, if they don't, is a HUGE oversight!

It is probably a bigger issue for those not staying onsite...I find a noticeable difference in what we carry when we are staying onsite vs. offsite.

It will be interesting to see how they respond.

They do fit wands. DD8 put her string backpack with wand in them at Hulk. They are as deep as the previous full sized lockers just half (or a third) the height.

I can't see why a lunch wouldn't fit. The lockers don't look that small. But I also don't find food prices to be prohibitively expensive at all- your best value is to split a meal (portions are huge!) and drink free cups of ice water. I'd eat breakfast before arrival and dinner after leaving. I can't see $10-20 being a dealbreaker for visiting though. This just isn't riling me up much. I appreciated the free lockers but most parks (Cedar Point, for example) don't have them. I take no bag there and just put everything in my pockets (I wear clothes with pockets that zipper close).

Cedar Point has free bins for your bags...at least on the rides I go on. I don't go on the extreme rides, but referring to rides like the Blue Streak.

I can't see why a lunch wouldn't fit. The lockers don't look that small. But I also don't find food prices to be prohibitively expensive at all- your best value is to split a meal (portions are huge!) and drink free cups of ice water. I'd eat breakfast before arrival and dinner after leaving. I can't see $10-20 being a dealbreaker for visiting though. This just isn't riling me up much. I appreciated the free lockers but most parks (Cedar Point, for example) don't have them. I take no bag there and just put everything in my pockets (I wear clothes with pockets that zipper close).

Not just the cost, but I don't find theme park food that great, so prefer to bring my own lunch. Not just a cost issue but taste and health issue.

For the record, package pick-up isn't exactly what I would consider hassle free, especially when more people start doing it because of this change. You're waiting in line at the end of the day, waiting for them to find your package, etc. It may not even be there if you purchase it late enough. Universal also has at least two pick up locations, one outside of Citywalk, and it's not always made clear which place your package is going to. While it's a nice thing to offer, it's not exactly the saving grace from the locker situation that others are making it out to be.

I'm guessing these won't fit the Transformers or Sponge Bob refillable cups we have? For us it will only be a problem on Men in Black since my son won't ride roller coasters. We just take turns holding the stuff while one group rides.

My issue is water bottles. We fill up our individual ones from a large water bottle in our hotel room in the morning. We do buy bottled water to refill, now that the Freestyle machine water isn't free. Sometimes, we will use a water fountain. We also refill our bottles with leftover water from meals, either quick service or table. Our water bottles have holes in the top to prevent a vacuum and allow the drinking spout to work. I wouldn't leave the bottle on its side because of leaking. I also wouldn't dump out the water, because that's just wasteful of our limited water resources. I also drink a lot of water. In fact, I usually feel pretty dehydrated after waiting for a locker ride. I wish they had made these small lockers tall and thin. Bottles and cups probably would have fit then. They are pretty small though. I have a mini Loungefly vinyl backpack that I had to really squeeze to fit into the small locker.

They snuck that in suddenly and quietly! I'm glad this wasn't in effect over Thanksgiving because we would have needed more lockers for our group. My usual park bag would fit in there OK, but it got cooler in the evenings so we sometimes brought extra sweaters and jackets with us. I did notice more of the ride lockers opened with a ticket instead of the finger scan, which is an improvement.

You can wear or put sweaters/jackets/hoodies around your waste. We did this during Thanksgiving too, and no one had an issue on the locker rides.

Anyone can have their souvenirs sent to the front of the park to pick up at end of day - this is quite easy and hassle-free.

I don't carry enough in the parks for it to effect me. Small camera (which also fits in my pocket), phone, money / ticket / CC, coins for smashing penny machines. I find it easier to avoid the lockers entirely except for the metal detector rides.

Never been to another park with free ride lockers, so even free small ones is a perk over Six Flags and others.

The problem with sending it to the front is if you finish in a different park than you started.

Also, does Six Flags prevent you from bringing items on attractions? Universal doesn't allow bags on a handful of attractions and actually uses a metal detector on the Hulk to ensure that you aren't bringing anything, I mean anything, in your pockets.

Six Flags prevents bringing items on most of the large roller coasters. They have someone posted at the line entrance and will not let you in with any handheld objects or bags (excluding their refillable mugs).

Six Flags prevents bringing items on most of the large roller coasters. They have someone posted at the line entrance and will not let you in with any handheld objects or bags (excluding their refillable mugs).

The one by us has bins and shelves to store backpacks, cups, etc while you are on the rides though. Even the big rides.

I've always been surprised that they didn't charge for lockers.

I usually carry a laptop backpack with a few things in it - ponchos, battery chargers, bottles of water, etc. It barely fits in the large lockers. It doesn't need to be that big, it's just the backpack that I have.

I'll probably end up getting a smaller backpack and using that. The refillable cup part sucks, though. I said this on our last trip - they should have made the lockers vertical rather than horizontal. That would have solved that issue but probably created another.

I have to wonder how many people will put full refillable cups in there anyway and if they leak, oh well... It would also be interesting to see if their Coke Freestyle usage goes up because of people having to constantly dump and refill.

The one by us has bins and shelves to store backpacks, cups, etc while you are on the rides though. Even the big rides.
Many rides at Six Flags have that option (if you're comfortable leaving your things there). Six Flags New England has 3 roller coasters that prohibit carry-on items.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter