• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New parking fee at POP!

Yeah, like I said, I definitely don’t agree with it but I think there’s more involved than just the parking fee cash grab. Especially since the parks are getting busier and busier (no such thing as a slow time anymore) AND they’re in the process of opening new lands and attractions that will only increase the crowds.
Crowds in the parks don't always equate to full resorts. People know there are ways to visit the parks that don't include staying onsite.

Crowds in the parks don't always equate to full resorts. People know there are ways to visit the parks that don't include staying onsite.
Agreed! I hope they realize this is a step too far and pull it back, I just fear that there is enough upside for them in addition to the parking fee itself (and most first timers won’t realize that’s new anyway) that even those of us who do decide with our wallet won’t be enough.

I've never stayed offsite while going to Disney, but I'm definitely open to it if we drive down. We usually stay for 2-3 weeks. I wouldn't mind trying an on/off site split stay.
Our next trip, we'll stay at Universal for part of the trip and when we head to Disney I think we'll try a split stay too. A couple days off-site to start and finish on. I'll price it out for when we're closer!

Yeah, like I said, I definitely don’t agree with it but I think there’s more involved than just the parking fee cash grab. Especially since the parks are getting busier and busier (no such thing as a slow time anymore) AND they’re in the process of opening new lands and attractions that will only increase the crowds.
There are no "slow times" anymore because FPP has eliminated most of the standby
access. People have done the math on this. Even on low crowd days the wait times are longer.

Agreed! I hope they realize this is a step too far and pull it back, I just fear that there is enough upside for them in addition to the parking fee itself (and most first timers won’t realize that’s new anyway) that even those of us who do decide with our wallet won’t be enough.
WDW will not pull anything back that has potential to make $$, and forcing the resort guests to pay for parking will make them a boat load of cash. Maybe in the future they may make this a perk for APs or maybe free parking with a certain number of nights stay, but I believe the fees are here permanently.

For any that are curious, here's the blurb about parking. I knew I wasn't crazy, that they clearly show you will pay parking so no one can arrive on site and say they weren't aware. Yeah, it's not till you pay but at least it is there.
You do have to click the blue "Learn More" to know the amount. It takes you to this page https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/parking/
Parking.jpg

Has anyone booked after 3/21 and had to pay the parking fee that did online checkin? How did they know you had a car to add to your folio?
Can't do it at check in. How would they know I'd have a car, or not?

But that is not accurate. You may be in your car or a rental. But you could be the passenger in an Uber or a friend’s car that isn’t staying. They should not be billing people solely on how they arrive, but on whether the car is actually present overnight.
When I was there last week I spoke with the Resort in depth about how they'll know to charge parking. Specifically addressing people who never go to the front desk, or only had a car part of the time and Uber.
At this time it is 100% on the shoulders of the Guards. The CM at the resort even said "if the guest really wanted to, they could pretend to be doing an Uber drop off and they would get around the parking fee" Though the CM did go on to talk about some of their techniques used to determine when a car has been in the lot for an extended period of time, and not one they have associated with a guest. (chalk marks on tires).
We even talked about their license plate system and the CM said they are not using that for anything other than determining cars parked in case of something happening, in the CM's example, like a car blowing up. They are not reading plates to tell how long a vehicle is parked.
The guard is the one that is supposed to check the car as it comes in and ask if they are dropping off, checking in, dining, etc. And go from there. That way, a guest who never goes to the front desk will have their car logged and a guest who arrives in a car via Uber won't get charged.
There is 1 thing I forget to ask and that is how they will know how many nights if the guest doesn't move the car after they arrive but they also don't keep the car the entire time. Say, you arrive in a rental and drop your family off, stay 1 night and then return car next day. This may be a case of you have to straighten it out at check out. There are bound to be exceptions here and there. We are back at the end of this month and I'll ask about this specific case then.

Right?! I mean, I already knew about the parking fee, and it still felt a little bait & switch-y. IDK how I'd feel as a returning Guest who didn't know about it.
At least they do make it easy to cancel without penalty if it is a deal breaker.

Disney used to not even come close to the cost of a trip to Europe for a family. Now it does. My honeymoon in 1999 was not even close to a "splurge." Tickets were around 40 bucks a day (full price) and our hotel at the Yacht Club was about 125 a night. Adjusting for inflation since 1999, tickets today should be around 55 dollars. We were very young and had no real money to speak of in those days and we had a great, deluxe trip. And the Adventurer's Club was still around.

We did a week in Disney and December and a week in Spain in April. I ran the numbers and Spain was actually a little less expensive, even with the Euro being pretty high when we were there. That surprised me a bit.

They asked us when we drove in for arrival and stopped the guard station. The guard had an IPAD and I'm sure made note of it. This was at the All Stars which have only one guard station which services all three resorts, so it created a bit of a backup.

They asked us when we drove in for arrival and stopped the guard station. The guard had an IPAD and I'm sure made note of it. This was at the All Stars which have only one guard station which services all three resorts, so it created a bit of a backup.
That sounds like the way the CM told us is the way it is supposed to be working.
Will every guard do exactly what they are supposed to be doing? I think we all know the answer to that is no. Some are going to be better at their jobs than others. Most WILL follow procedures.
But there will be failures along the way, someone will incorrectly be charged parking and someone will not be charged parking that should be, somewhere along the way, with the thousands of stays that Disney has each month.
It will take a visit to the front desk to straighten out and it will be a PITA but they'll get it straight in the end. Hopefully, those will be few and far between.

Adjusting for inflation since 1999, tickets today should be around 55 dollars.

Not defending Disney in any way (the parking fee was my breaking point, and I don't even drive), but you're looking at just the actual inflation rate, and not the increased costs to the business. Minimum wage alone has increased 57% since 2000 (earliest year I could find in a very fast search.) Health insurance has skyrocketed.

I haven't looked at the resort amenities page in years. I hope others do.

What I hate is that I simply don't have a choice. I'm local so I have to drive. I guess I DO have choices, but that's basically either suck it up and pay the fee or just take day trips, or don't renew my AP next year and stop coming (which is currently what I'm choosing to do). There's no real reason to stay offsite; the only reason I stay overnight is because I enjoy staying at the DISNEY resorts. This is a lot of the fun of the Disney experience for me. But I honestly wish they'd just raised the resort prices. If they'd raised the deluxe resort prices even by $50 I'd have noticed, grumbled a little, and made a CHOICE as to whether it was worth it to me or not. Sometimes it might be, sometimes maybe I'd stay moderate or value or just make a day trip. But it would be MY decision. I was considering doing a dessert party next month. I think they're crazy expensive for what you get, but if I decide it's worth it to me then it's worth it to me. I'm not complaining about the price because I don't have to pay it unless I want to. Every Disney expense except for the annual passes (which I think are very reasonably priced) I have total freedom over. I can buy yet another pricey t-shirt or not, depending on my mood. I can pay almost $5 for a Mickey bar if I feel like it. I can pay over $300 for lunch with princesses if I want, or I can bring a peanut butter sandwich. Choices. I HAVE to bring my car, which means I HAVE to pay the rent on that $24 worth of Disney asphalt. That one tiny space out of the 40 SQUARE MILES of land Disney owns.

I am really, really angry and upset about this. I am almost as mad at myself as I am at Disney, because I know on an intellectual level that it is just money, just $24 a night, and yes, Disney is a business and the goal of a business is to make as much money as possible. But to me it feels personal, and I'm upset with myself that I can't seem to get over that. I was really hoping that I would get used to the idea of paid parking, calm down a little, and begrudgingly accept the new fee. But I can tell by now that that's not going to happen, and what it means for me is that my good times at Disney are nearing an end. And that makes me really sad.

Totally get your point, however I would gladly trade our $2000 airline cost for the $24 of being local! We are local to DL and have stayed on site for Staycations. $20-30 is pretty much the going rate for parking at DLR properties and has been here for years. We live 11 miles away, and still have to pay it. And with 3 kids, one in a car seat, Uber doesn’t make much sense for us either, not in OC traffic anyways.

Totally get your point, however I would gladly trade our $2000 airline cost for the $24 of being local! We are local to DL and have stayed on site for Staycations. $20-30 is pretty much the going rate for parking at DLR properties and has been here for years. We live 11 miles away, and still have to pay it. And with 3 kids, one in a car seat, Uber doesn’t make much sense for us either, not in OC traffic anyways.

I agree. I also understand PP's point, but feel like those who are local enough drive are still getting a much better deal than those of us who fly.

I'm not renting a car this time, but I'm still paying parking fees. Where? At the airport back home where my car will rack up about $250 in parking costs. That plus airfare ($800 this trip), makes me rather envious of all you who are close enough to drive, even if you pay parking fees at Disney.

Price increases are inevitable at Disney. And given that, I'd prefer Disney make their price increase in something some can avoid (parking fees) rather than in something no one can (resort fee, higher base price).

But we are all free to choose where we live, right? I live in the Chicago suburbs. Nowhere near DL OR WDW, and nowhere near an ocean. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice of places to live but we like to be near family and this is where DH and I were born and raised. One of my best friends moved to the Tampa area after she got married. If we really wanted to, we could look for jobs and make the move too. Of all the reasons Disney decided to start charging a parking fee for hotel guests, I doubt leveling the playing field for those who spend money flying in vs. locals who drive was even on their radar.

I don't think charging locals to park makes sense from a business perspective. Many locals are AP holders. With the current setup of AP holders getting free theme park parking but having to pay at the resort hotels, won't many locals be driven to stay offsite? (Or not renew their APs, as I've seen mentioned by people on this board?) I would guess it makes more financial sense for Disney to entice locals to stay onsite and spend more of their money in Disney owned hotels and restaurants but what do I know? The locals are the ones who will have a car regardless. People like myself can choose to drive or fly based on what makes more financial sense.

I saw someone posted on the first page of this thread that they will not charge for handicapped placards. I see in the announcement it says there will be handicapped parking at each resort, but not where it says there will be no charge.

Can anyone confirm that they do not charge for handicapped parking?

Yes, many offsite hotels charge fees. Many don't. But of the ones that do, their rates are much more in line with "industry standards" (since Disney loves to use that excuse, hahaha!) Disney has no business charging a parking fee when their room rates are already so inflated IMO. And there are many, many offsite options that charge no fees at all, like the many private pool homes around Disney World, the many time share condo resorts such as Bonnet Creek, etc.

Disney is a tourist destination. In Las Vegas, you'll pay a hefty resort fee and a parking fee on top of that. Further, unlike Disney, where once I pay my parking fee, if I go to another resort to eat, it's free, in Vegas, you have hourly charges. I don't like fees any more than the next guy. But they will be coming at tourist destinations or are already there.

Last edited:
But we are all free to choose where we live, right? I live in the Chicago suburbs. Nowhere near DL OR WDW, and nowhere near an ocean. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice of places to live but we like to be near family and this is where DH and I were born and raised. One of my best friends moved to the Tampa area after she got married. If we really wanted to, we could look for jobs and make the move too. Of all the reasons Disney decided to start charging a parking fee for hotel guests, I doubt leveling the playing field for those who spend money flying in vs. locals who drive was even on their radar.

I don't think charging locals to park makes sense from a business perspective. Many locals are AP holders. With the current setup of AP holders getting free theme park parking but having to pay at the resort hotels, won't many locals be driven to stay offsite? (Or not renew their APs, as I've seen mentioned by people on this board?) I would guess it makes more financial sense for Disney to entice locals to stay onsite and spend more of their money in Disney owned hotels and restaurants but what do I know? The locals are the ones who will have a car regardless. People like myself can choose to drive or fly based on what makes more financial sense.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Disney's motive had anything to do with making it a level playing field between those who drive and those who fly. I think we can all agree Disney is doing this purely for money.

But when people lament the parking fees as being somehow unfair and targeted at them for being local, it ignores the even higher costs of those who fly. I wish costs were lower, but they are what they are, and I make my trip plans with my budget in mind. No one HAS TO drive, or fly, or visit Disney at all.

I do think more locals will stay offsite, but I also think most will will continue to buy APs and spend money in the park. Then Disney will have more rooms they can fill with those who aren't driving, and will spend all their money in the Disney Bubble. Disney hotels are usually pretty full. Right now, many people stay offsite simply because there's no availability for their dates (or no availability that fits their budget - values sold out - or their preferences - deluxes booked up). I'm planning a trip for November, and there is nothing at all left in the value resorts for the first two nights of my stay. I'm hoping something opens up, but I'll stay offsite if necessary.

Basically, Disney will charge what people will pay. At some point, they'll go too far, people will vote with their feet and vacation elsewhere, and Disney will scale back. But I don't see the parking fees as the tipping point.

I saw someone posted on the first page of this thread that they will not charge for handicapped placards. I see in the announcement it says there will be handicapped parking at each resort, but not where it says there will be no charge.

Can anyone confirm that they do not charge for handicapped parking?

I would like to see this in writing from Disney. A few folks have said "blah blah blah" it's free but have given no concrete proof of that.

MANY hotels that charge for parking do not charge for Handicapped parking .... but our experience in Orlando is that so far no hotel that charges parking has waived it for us. In fact we were told that the standard in Orlando is that it will not be waived ..... and so far we haven't found anyone. Even Hilton where we are high honors members and even gotten it waived in every single town .... none on Orlando has waived it.

If Disney is going with their "industry standards" mantra for doing this ... then it won't be free.

THIS is Disney's Parking information. They discuss who pays and who it is free for. They discuss they offer Handicapped parking spots. How easy it would have been to say parking was free for those ..... it does not.

Parking
Explore the variety of parking options available across the Walt Disney World Resort.

Resort Hotels

Registered Guests:

Overnight Self-Parking
  • Effective for reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter, standard overnight self-parking is available to registered Guests for a fee that will be applied to their hotel folio upon check-out. All parking fees include applicable tax.
Standard Overnight Parking charges per Resort Category:
  • Disney Value Resorts: $13 per night
  • Disney Moderate Resorts: $19 per night
  • Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per night
Complimentary standard parking is available to Guests staying at the Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort. Each campsite provides parking space for one (1) motorized vehicle.

Valet Parking
Valet Parking is available at select Disney Deluxe Resorts and Disney Deluxe Villas for $33 per night (sales tax included).

Guests with Disabilities
Designated parking areas are available throughout Walt Disney World Resort for Guests with disabilities. A valid disability parking permit is required.

Learn more about services for Guests with disabilities.

For further information about other available services for Guests with disabilities, please contact Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com.

Disney Vacation Club Members
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Day Guests
Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter