• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New security measure: Do not disturb signs being Removed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, the biggest problem I have with this policy is how do I know the people at the door that say they are security are actually security? How can I be sure they are housekeeping when there is no cart with them? A red flag for me is that they insist on coming in the room and won't come back.

If scammers can slip flyers for the "pizza scam" under resort room doors, someone could attempt to gain access to occupied rooms for evil purposes.

FWIW, one of the things in the security training that I have taken is that when staying at a hotel, don't open the door for people you don't know, and, do not open the door to accept deliveries (have them left at the front desk.)
This is a good point.

I'm going to make anyone knocking, and asking to come in, prove that they can unlock the door themselves.

For me, the biggest problem I have with this policy is how do I know the people at the door that say they are security are actually security? How can I be sure they are housekeeping when there is no cart with them? A red flag for me is that they insist on coming in the room and won't come back.

If scammers can slip flyers for the "pizza scam" under resort room doors, someone could attempt to gain access to occupied rooms for evil purposes.

FWIW, one of the things in the security training that I have taken is that when staying at a hotel, don't open the door for people you don't know, and, do not open the door to accept deliveries (have them left at the front desk.)

If they have the capability to open the door couldn't you just not let them in and then if they are able to open the door that would mean they have the right access? Anyone just posing as a CM wouldn't have a "master key", right?

If they have the capability to open the door couldn't you just not let them in and then if they are able to open the door that would mean they have the right access? Anyone just posing as a CM wouldn't have a "master key", right?

I don't know Disney's policies, but only cleaning, security or hotel management should have a master key. In the post I commented on, they knocked and did not try to enter with their key. If it was me, I would do as STLstone said and let them knock and try to enter.

FWIW, its human nature to open up a door when people say "police", "security", or a "delivery guy with a package." That's why they tell specifically you in the training i've taken NOT to open a hotel door for someone you don't know. All it takes is 1 person out of 99.....

I don't know about Disney's magic band room keys, but I have stayed in a hotel that had a problem with someone gaining access to rooms that had the key card type system while I was there. They stole quite a bit of stuff out of one room. I've read and seen the methods used to hack those key card systems - they are not unbeatable.

Last edited:
I don't know Disney's policies, but only cleaning, security or hotel management should have a master key. In the post I commented on, they knocked and did not try to enter with their key. If it was me, I would do as STLstone said and let them knock and try to enter.

FWIW, its human nature to open up a door when people say "police", "security", or a "delivery guy with a package." That's why they tell specifically you in the training i've taken NOT to open a hotel door for someone you don't know. All it takes is 1 person out of 99.....

I don't know about Disney's magic band room keys, but I have stayed in a hotel that had a problem with someone gaining access to rooms that had the key card type system while I was there. They stole quite a bit of stuff out of one room. I've read and seen the methods used to hack those key card systems - they are not unbeatable.

I fully agree with everything you said - I guess I just don't understand when people say that now they feel more vulnerable to scammers/fake CMs when people could have done that all along and now if they need to come in for security they can/will badge themselves in. Not that it isn't a concern at all and something people should be aware of (and wary of) in general. Just seems no more or less an issue now to me is all

I fully agree with everything you said - I guess I just don't understand when people say that now they feel more vulnerable to scammers/fake CMs when people could have done that all along and now if they need to come in for security they can/will badge themselves in. Not that it isn't a concern at all and something people should be aware of (and wary of) in general. Just seems no more or less an issue now to me is all

The difference between now and then is a subtle but important one. Before, no one had the expectation that someone claiming to be "security" or "there to empty the trash" would be coming on a daily basis. In fact, the opposite was true, which might have made more people wary about someone claiming to be "security" and certainly more wary about someone claiming to need entry to "empty the trash".

Now that these two events are apparently happening on a wide scale daily, and people know it's going to happen, some might (consciously or unconsciously) be less wary about someone claiming to need entry for these two reasons. It makes the job of the scammer easier.

I learned about these "room service (when not requested)/maid service (when clearly not during the normal times)/security (when the person had no proof of such)" scams at a young age when on a family trip someone tried to enter our room claiming to be (unrequested) room service. My dad, who was a frequent traveler, quickly sent them packing with a few choice words (he'd had similar things happen often during his travels). It is very easy for the unwary to fall into the trap (as mom and I might have done if dad hadn't been in the room). Anything that lowers that bar is bad.

I hear what you're saying and would agree that it would already have been something I'd considered if someone knocked at my door, however for me, the new policy legitimizes someone knocking at your door in a different way, if that makes sense?

Previously, whether or not Mousekeeping had serviced my room, if someone unexpected knocked at my door I would have been "on guard", especially if I had the DND sign on (quite often Mousekeeping would miss my room altogether so I'd definitely not be expecting someone to knock). The Room Occupied sign instead is just letting people outside know that there's someone in the room. As the guest, you don't necessarily have the expectation that you will have privacy, in fact the sign states they reserve the right to come in. So now, whether you have the sign on or not you're conditioned to expect a visit at some point during the day, and to me someone with ill intentions could possibly exploit the situation more easily than they could before.

But I don't think I'm articulating myself well so I'm not sure if I'm conveying my thoughts properly! I'm trying to think of a good analogy, but I'm drawing a blank! I just keep thinking about the SNL Landshark skit for the 70's...

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/landshark/2832305?snl=1

"You're the shark and you know it!"

"I'm only a dolphin, Ma'am."

"A dolphin?...well, okay..."

The difference between now and then is a subtle but important one. Before, no one had the expectation that someone claiming to be "security" or "there to empty the trash" would be coming on a daily basis. In fact, the opposite was true, which might have made more people wary about someone claiming to be "security" and certainly more wary about someone claiming to need entry to "empty the trash".

Now that these two events are apparently happening on a wide scale daily, and people know it's going to happen, some might (consciously or unconsciously) be less wary about someone claiming to need entry for these two reasons. It makes the job of the scammer easier.

I learned about these "room service (when not requested)/maid service (when clearly not during the normal times)/security (when the person had no proof of such)" scams at a young age when on a family trip someone tried to enter our room claiming to be (unrequested) room service. My dad, who was a frequent traveler, quickly sent them packing with a few choice words (he'd had similar things happen often during his travels). It is very easy for the unwary to fall into the trap (as mom and I might have done if dad hadn't been in the room). Anything that lowers that bar is bad.

That's what I was trying to say but you articulated it in a much clearer way - thanks!

I hear what you're saying and would agree that it would already have been something I'd considered if someone knocked at my door, however for me, the new policy legitimizes someone knocking at your door in a different way, if that makes sense?

Previously, whether or not Mousekeeping had serviced my room, if someone unexpected knocked at my door I would have been "on guard", especially if I had the DND sign on (quite often Mousekeeping would miss my room altogether so I'd definitely not be expecting someone to knock). The Room Occupied sign instead is just letting people outside know that there's someone in the room. As the guest, you don't necessarily have the expectation that you will have privacy, in fact the sign states they reserve the right to come in. So now, whether you have the sign on or not you're conditioned to expect a visit at some point during the day, and to me someone with ill intentions could possibly exploit the situation more easily than they could before.

But I don't think I'm articulating myself well so I'm not sure if I'm conveying my thoughts properly! I'm trying to think of a good analogy, but I'm drawing a blank! I just keep thinking about the SNL Landshark skit for the 70's...

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/landshark/2832305?snl=1

"You're the shark and you know it!"

"I'm only a dolphin, Ma'am."

"A dolphin?...well, okay..."

Maybe my brain is just wired different then. To me if someone came as security or management before I would be more likely to open it to talk to them whereas now that I know people are coming for a regular check I would just let them come in on their own if they had access as it is "normal" or "standard"

.... but apparently I think differently than most :D

Maybe my brain is just wired different then. To me if someone came as security or management before I would be more likely to open it to talk to them whereas now that I know people are coming for a regular check I would just let them come in on their own if they had access as it is "normal" or "standard"

.... but apparently I think differently than most :D

I'm not sure if we're saying the same thing or not? Do you mean by coming in on their own, now you would let them use their "master key" to gain entrance?

I'm not sure if we're saying the same thing or not? Do you mean by coming in on their own, now you would let them use their "master key" to gain entrance?

I guess I am saying is before, when I wasn't expecting someone to show up, if they did I would want to be proactive and go talk to them and figure out what is going on

Now, since it is expected - and understood that they can and will let themselves in - i wouldn't be as quick to get to the door figuring they can let themselves in if they need to

I guess I am saying is before, when I wasn't expecting someone to show up, if they did I would want to be proactive and go talk to them and figure out what is going on

Now, since it is expected - and understood that they can and will let themselves in - i wouldn't be as quick to get to the door figuring they can let themselves in if they need to

Then to some degree I think we're saying similar things. Before, if I wasn't expecting it, I would be wary and cautious (back to the landshark) and would try to check on why they were there. Now, knowing they can and will let themselves in, I would rather let them do that than open the door based upon their request, but it's partly because I'd be more "generally" wary that someone might be trying to exploit the new system. It's also along the lines of what Jiminy Cricket recommended on the back of the POR door - don't open your door to strangers, or something like that! Anyway, I'm just hoping they clarify things for guests!

Then to some degree I think we're saying similar things. Before, if I wasn't expecting it, I would be wary and cautious (back to the landshark) and would try to check on why they were there. Now, knowing they can and will let themselves in, I would rather let them do that than open the door based upon their request, but it's partly because I'd be more "generally" wary that someone might be trying to exploit the new system. It's also along the lines of what Jiminy Cricket recommended on the back of the POR door - don't open your door to strangers, or something like that! Anyway, I'm just hoping they clarify things for guests!

I fully agree with the last part about clarifying for guests and trying to have a consistent approach and execution and message from CMs. I loved be Disney but they are not always the best at ensuring their front line CMs say the same thing to guests about new policies/situations

I fully agree with the last part about clarifying for guests and trying to have a consistent approach and execution and message from CMs. I loved be Disney but they are not always the best at ensuring their front line CMs say the same thing to guests about new policies/situations

Could not agree more!

Very smart. Just let them come in, then you know they are legit.

I could care less what they see me doing so whatever.

Yes. Absolutely true. Having the expectation of people coming into your room as a security check conditions people to expect it and to open doors with the expectation that it will be a security check. Those who wish to do harm can exploit that.

Never underestimate the deviousness and craftiness of those who want to do you harm.

I just spoke with DTC about our reservation for POR in March. The rep at DTC claimed that CMs are supposed to honor the "occupied" signs without disturbing the occupant(s), and simply return later. He also said that if there are specific hours that we do not want to be disturbed, we can make that request at guest services and they are supposed to honor that request. At the same time, he acknowledged that perhaps the policy is not being uniformly followed. For folks who like to hang the "occupied" sign during their entire stay, I could see where they would simply have to pick a time to knock or enter, but I wanted to gauge where I would notice a change from standard housekeeping behavior. He seemed to indicate that there should not be a change if you're used to (and do not decline) standard daily housekeeping.

I just spoke with DTC about our reservation for POR in March. The rep at DTC claimed that CMs are supposed to honor the "occupied" signs without disturbing the occupant(s), and simply return later. He also said that if there are specific hours that we do not want to be disturbed, we can make that request at guest services and they are supposed to honor that request. At the same time, he acknowledged that perhaps the policy is not being uniformly followed. For folks who like to hang the "occupied" sign during their entire stay, I could see where they would simply have to pick a time to knock or enter, but I wanted to gauge where I would notice a change from standard housekeeping behavior. He seemed to indicate that there should not be a change if you're used to (and do not decline) standard daily housekeeping.
That isn't how it worked at Saratoga.

We put the sign out when we went to bed. Before we left in the morning, often before we were up and dressed, we would receive a knock on the door. It would be housekeeping to empty the trash. Our sign was still up and it never "fell" off.

That isn't how it worked at Saratoga.

We put the sign out when we went to bed. Before we left in the morning, often before we were up and dressed, we would receive a knock on the door. It would be housekeeping to empty the trash. Our sign was still up and it never "fell" off.

Yes, I've considered bringing duct tape to make sure the sign doesn't "fall off." I know that sometimes housekeeping does come early, depending on where you're located and where they start their rounds. So perhaps it's just coincidence in some cases, and the early knock would have happened regardless of the policy change. I just think that they should respect the signs as much as possible, especially if you're selective in when you deploy them.

My sister is at CSR now, and unfortunately, unwell. She had the sign out and told me they called before they came.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter