New security measure: Do not disturb signs being Removed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't have it both ways. If the supposed security enhancement can be easily nullified by the bad person simply staying in their room with the door deadbolted, then it's not an enhancement at all.

Again ... if they're not actually searching the room including poking into bags and closets ... what is the point?

Some of this can just be for show - just having this out there and knowing is is a possibility is enough to deter some people from even attempting anything

i know it is private property but something's doesn't feel right about someone going through my underwear while I am not there

I wonder if people who drive to WDW feel differently about this than those who fly. I figure by the time I've been poked and prodded by TSA, who cares anymore.

I always carry my personal stuff with me (IDs etc). If a housekeeper wants to poke through my underwear while I'm not there, go ahead.

Again ... if they're not actually searching the room including poking into bags and closets ... what is the point?

This....

Let's call it what it is...Disney is implementing a policy that says all guest rooms will be entered and visually inspected once a day by a staff member, be it security, housekeeping or maintenance. They are doing it under the auspices of increased security, but let's be realistic...anyone planning any sort of criminal act is not going to leave any sort of evidence of their intentions out in plain site. There won't be weaponry laying on the bed or ammo in the drawer. So, if this "visual inspection" is really going to be effective in preventing any casualties, the searches will have to be much more thorough. I highly doubt that they are planning on coming in and going through drawers, closets and suitcases, so in that case, why bother coming in the room at all?

I think Disney's intentions are good (increasing security), but I don't think this is going to go over well with a lot of guests, especially DVC guests who are used to the "home away from home" experience. I also think that there are going to be a lot more accusations (both true and false) of employee theft. There will certainly be a lot more opportunity for dishonest cast members to snatch up guest belongings, and guests that will be quick to try and falsely accuse employees of theft to score free swag from Disney.

Overall, I don't see that this plan is going to provide any sort of benefit to either Disney or the guests. I think the potential negative experiences for both parties far outweigh any potential benefits.

Then you tell them the time is not acceptable, and please come back. Like any other hotel.

I'm confused as to why people are getting their undies in a bunch about this. After the Vegas incident, I'm surprised this wasn't implemented sooner. Especially the three hotels along the monorail line.
I think b/c it’s one isolated incident & sometimes it gets ridiculous that companies overcompensate. And, let’s call it what it is...it’s a change to protect their liability not b/c they really care about guest safety. Everything is about lawyers & $$$!! And how’s that going to work in the dog resorts that were supposed to put that on the door to make sure staff didn’t come in?

I just got an email from DVC that would address this:

My issue with this is that I generally put up the do not disturb sign when I am in the room and want to sleep in and not be disturbed, I don't want ANYONE coming and knocking on my door when I do so.

Seriously, there are times where I will sleep in or come back to the room later in the day for a nap, especially if I plan on doing the late night extra magic hours. And simply looking at Magic Bands doesn't work, because someone could still be in the room and the person who used their magic band to enter the room is now back out in the parks.

I also expect that they won't go through personal belongings, as that could lead to some major issues with sanitation, as well as leading to potential theft, so the only way something would get caught is if it was out in the open, thus it is just more security theater like the metal detectors are since not everyone has to go through the metal detectors.
That’s my thing. I’m fine with them coming in the room when I leave. We always get housekeeping. But, when it says do not disturb I expect privacy & a knock at the door disrupts that.

I wonder if people who drive to WDW feel differently about this than those who fly. I figure by the time I've been poked and prodded by TSA, who cares anymore.

I always carry my personal stuff with me (IDs etc). If a housekeeper wants to poke through my underwear while I'm not there, go ahead.
Tsa doesn’t disturb my sleeping baby or my sleep or nap.

I can't help but think this is akin to the TSA confiscating a billion toe-nail clippers.
It only inconvenienced law abiding citizens with some false sense of security and didn't stop a single terrorist incident.

Disney is saying to it's guests, hey, we simply don't trust you.
Yes you, soccer mom with the toddlers...WE ARE WATCHING YOU!

The Vegas shooter had a vantage point to shoot at hundreds of people.
My last room at Old Key West faced a small forest, I may have been able to target a squirrel.

What if they want to come into the room while I'm showering and I can't hear the knock on the door or do anything about it even if I did? Or if I'm on the toilet and no way can I get off? Or if I'm, ahem, engaging in marital relations? Or if I'm not feeling well and have to sleep? Etc.

I mean, there's a reason for the DND sign--I don't want to be disturbed! I get that it's their property, but, last I checked, I'm paying them to stay there. It's not like they're giving me the room for free. And even if they were--if only!--I still wouldn't want to be disturbed at times that I didn't want to be disturbed.

I have utterly no idea what that has to do with the situation in Las Vegas or any other potential threat. If they have concerns of that nature, how about having a metal detector that everyone and their bags have to go through to enter the hotel? I'd understand that--and I'm actually surprised that every single guest at the parks isn't scanned through the metal detector.

It's not that I have "something to hide," it's that there are personal, private things that I do--some of them mentioned above--that unless there's a dire emergency, like a fire or earthquake, for example, I don't want to be disturbed during.

So when you're there I thought you use the Room Occupied sign and they will come back? Then take it off when you go out and hope they go in then. Just like regular housekeeping
If that’s the case, I don’t see an issue then. But ppl are making it sound like they will know just to knock then vs coming on in. I’m sure you’ll be able to tell them it’s not a good time, but I don’t want the knock to disturb us.

If that’s the case, I don’t see an issue then. But ppl are making it sound like they will know just to knock then vs coming on in. I’m sure you’ll be able to tell them it’s not a good time, but I don’t want the knock to disturb us.

Oh ok. I hope it's the former too. My impression was they just want people to know that putting out your DND sign for days is over. I see a lot of "baby sleeping" signs being stuck on the doors in the future

I don't want them knocking if I'm there and don't want to be disturbed. This is all fine if I actually go out of the room for a few hours and they're able to enter then--and since I like having daily housekeeping, I want them to enter then. But what if I'm ill, for example, and am not planning to leave the room? This has, I'm sorry to say, happened to me while at Disney, and during that illness, I was in the bathroom a lot. That's the kind of thing I'm concerned about. Coming into the room while I'm not there is not a problem. Coming into the room while I am there is another story--knocking or no knocking. (See my post upthread for examples of situations where a knock is insufficient.)

Then you tell them the time is not acceptable, and please come back. Like any other hotel.

I'm confused as to why people are getting their undies in a bunch about this. After the Vegas incident, I'm surprised this wasn't implemented sooner. Especially the three hotels along the monorail line.

I guess that's the question, but I doubt they'll actually say exactly because that defeats the purpose. If I had to guess it would be after a certain amount of hours of no one coming in or out. I think people are getting a little worked up over not much of a change. Most of the time when people come and go, housekeeping will notice you anyway.

My point stands, how is it any different than now? I think people are getting worked up about absolutely nothing.

If you're in the room and "indecent" for, lets be generous here, one hour out of the day I don't think that's going to raise alarm bells or anything. I'm just saying when housekeeping comes by normally, they are working on a regular schedule. They're not barging in if the door is fully secured. They might just come back later or note it for a welfare check later if they've never seen or been in.

Simple, right now, i put up the do not disturb sign, they don't knock. With this new system, they knock, wake me up from a sound sleep and may make it hard to get back to sleep, not acceptable.
Exactly @cmwade77 , the DND sign meant don't knock at all.

Now the "Occupied" sign means, knock until I answer.

So, if my health causes me to need a nap, I am just out of luck because here comes Susie Housekeeper to bang on my door until I open it, every single day. Day after day. Same thing if we are showering or doing something else. Bang, bang, bang, until we open the door and tell them to come back later, much later.

Then of course, the 8am wake up door knocking on check out day. It was bad enough if you forgot to put out the DND sign. Now, you don't have one to put out.

I really am not concerned about raising alarm bells. I'm concerned about a little peace and quiet.

Oh ok. I hope it's the former too. My impression was they just want people to know that putting out your DND sign for days is over. I see a lot of "baby sleeping" signs being stuck on the doors in the future
This was posted on the resort board. So it clearly says they’ll knock & can come in while you’re in the room. I find that outrageous. I’m so tired of companies freaking out & overcompensating when one thing happens. Soon no one will have any reasonable right to privacy “just in case” someone might do something.

Attachments

• D2D948A0-38DF-4C43-AD0F-2D2BC1890147.jpeg
    D2D948A0-38DF-4C43-AD0F-2D2BC1890147.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 84
If the objective were to check on the welfare of someone, I feel like that could be easily accomplished with a phone call (provided the person answers).

I don’t mind as long as they are not stealing or prodding through private info.

My sister and her family stay at the Beach Club every year.
They spend a TON of money on Disney.
She posts the "Do Not Disturb" sign the whole time, hates to have to worry about the maids pestering her.
I guess she will make her way to the Swan or Dolphin if Disney implements this stupid policy.

Let's face it, any time you need room service, they don't come.
They usually arrive the minute you walk through the door after being out in the parks.

This was posted on the resort board. So it clearly says they’ll knock & can come in while you’re in the room. I find that outrageous. I’m so tired of companies freaking out & overcompensating when one thing happens. Soon no one will have any reasonable right to privacy “just in case” someone might do something.

Wow.

Yeah, people aren't going to be happy with this if they are just banging on the doors to "check" even when the sign is displayed

I went to Disneyland Paris earlier this year. All suitcases were scanned upon entrance into the hotel using airport-type scanners. In addition, airport scanners were also used to scan bags/backpacks when going into the Disney Village and Parks secure area. All guests went through metal detectors as well. I found this security to be far superior and preferable to what we have.

We can't have it both ways.

(1) If the supposed security enhancement can be easily nullified by the bad person simply staying in their room with the door deadbolted, then it's not an enhancement at all.

(2) Again ... if they're not actually searching the room including poking into bags and closets ... what is the point?

EXACTLY!

(1) If we are gone, it will be nothing more than housekeeping entering unless they plan to search our rooms. AND for those who refuse housekeeping because they don't want strangers in their room, then it is a problem.

(2) They are using their eyes to get an eyeful. It's already being reported of men entering rooms without proper notice to see fully naked adults and fully naked children. I think at some point this is going to be challenged legally.

(3) So what if I'm in my room, I have my deadbolt on .... they knock, quickly tried to open door. I tell them they can't come in just then .... am I to expect security to be called on me then? I mean they are walking in on naked people so what is the protocol for people who don't want to be bothered ... assumption I am committing a crime?

Not got a good feeling about this .........

I don't know if they do it all the time. The BF went a year or so ago and all of his bags were checked, I don't think he mentioned anything about it this past time though.
Details from the BF: As he arrived at the gate to the resort they checked your ID and Passport at the gate. The Uber driver had to pop the trunk and that was inspected. Then he got to the entrance to the hotel luggage had to be scanned by X-ray and he had to walk through a metal detector before he could enter the lobby.

This was a little after one of the attacks in France.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter