New security measure: Do not disturb signs being Removed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because some people are more than willing to give up their privacy and freedoms for a police state doesn't mean we all are.
(So and so country does it...let's be like them!)

If I'm on vacation I expect security but that doesn't mean my room needs to be "security checked" on a daily basis.
Who is doing the checking anyway?
Is it housekeeper Ingrid from Hungary who barely has a remedial understanding of the English language that's going to be rifling through everyone's things?

Oh and "simple as throwing the latch on the door...," that means anyone that leaves for a few minutes has to come back and knock because their spouse has double locked the door.
Can't get in the shower because the door needs tending...sigh.
In addition, how long until Disney removes the mechanical door stops because of "security measures?"
The dead bolts on many doors can already be defeated with a master key.

Security is a whole lot more than checking rooms.
Why waste resources on a family that arrives through MCO, uses Disney transport the whole time and never leaves the property?
I'm pretty sure you cannot purchase guns, ammo, explosives, or a miniature do-it-yourself meth lab at the store on the Boardwalk.
A police state? This isn’t the government, it’s a private company’s hotel rooms. That’s a bit of hyperbole there.

I agree with others who say this is a just in case policy. Most rooms already get their room service already, so this won’t change anything. You just can’t hang your do not disturb on the door for a week and have nobody come in anymore

We use the Do Not Disturb sign on our last day, as we normally stay until 11:00am. We don't want housekeeping to be knocking on the door at 8:00am when we already said that we would not be leaving until 11:00.

This is probably a result of the "gift card for no housekeeping" policy. A LOT of people are now opting out of housekeeping - far more than used to. While billed as a security issue, I think it's probably 50% security, 50% pest control. People are gross, and 3 days of trash is just an invitation to all the icky critters setting up shop in their rooms - and once they are there, it's not a matter of deep cleaning a room - the critters just move on to the next.

"security" is just more acceptable and less controversial than "our guests are disgusting and we now have several thousand non-paying residents of the resorts"

So - Disney staff will enter the room once a day to make sure that no one is cooking drugs, or making bombs, or leaving their leftover Mickey cinnamon rolls laying around for days.

Also, does anyone think this may also be because of the housekeeping staff being mad that some rooms don't use service at all so they are not being tipped. Therefore they are paid less money? I only thought of it because of union talks and disputes all the time.

In my experience working in hotels, tipping a Housekeeping staff is the exception, not the rule. The vast majority of people don't tip.

tenor.gif

BRINGING MY OWN SIGN

A police state? This isn’t the government, it’s a private company’s hotel rooms. That’s a bit of hyperbole there.

I agree with others who say this is a just in case policy. Most rooms already get their room service already, so this won’t change anything. You just can’t hang your do not disturb on the door for a week and have nobody come in anymore

This...

And...

Disney is not a public government. They have every right to do whatever they want; they're responsible to guest safety first AND shareholders. You, as people who "chose" to pay to use their resort, don't have "rights" on someone else's private property. Thank God. I'm glad they're incorporating this policy. They know way more than we do about private security and threats.

I don't understand how the nap thing is an issue. You leave in the morning, your room gets serviced, and then you come back for your nap. The housekeepers won't be making a second check, right?

I don't understand how the nap thing is an issue. You leave in the morning, your room gets serviced, and then you come back for your nap. The housekeepers won't be making a second check, right?

The room doesn't always get serviced in the morning. Some of us choose to forgo housekeeping for the day if we return to our resort in the early afternoon to relax.

We generally hit the parks at rope drop, stay out through lunch, and get back to the resort at 1ish. Our room is pretty much never serviced when we return. I don't know if it's because we are in the "wrong" section or if Mousekeeping is doing checkouts first or what, but I would say returning to a clean room is more the exception than the rule. And since we do nap on a daily basis, yes, a knock on the door would be an issue.

Might need to invest in a "napping - please return later" sign - a magnet from cafepress or something?

You never know what time they will come for mousekeeping

Hopefully you can let them know "we will be out in the morning but back early afternoon for naps and pool time, can you have mousekeeping come in the morning?"

Hopefully this is one of those things that in reality isn't that big of a deal and Disney figures out the right way to handle things and strike the right balance - but I do get people being concerned about certain aspects until it does have that time for both disney and he guests to see how it will play out

We generally hit the parks at rope drop, stay out through lunch, and get back to the resort at 1ish. Our room is pretty much never serviced when we return. I don't know if it's because we are in the "wrong" section or if Mousekeeping is doing checkouts first or what, but I would say returning to a clean room is more the exception than the rule. And since we do nap on a daily basis, yes, a knock on the door would be an issue.

Might need to invest in a "napping - please return later" sign - a magnet from cafepress or something?

Hmmmm - might be a new angle for a Etsy shop ;)

As many have said, rooms aren't always serviced in the morning. I have often, with a cash reservation, turned down housekeeping because they hadn't been to the room and I was back for a nap. I simply didn't want them banging on the door while I was sleeping.

In addition, with DVC, you never know when they will be there since they aren't actually servicing the room, they are simply "collecting trash."

Relax peeps...they are changing the DND to Room Occupied

If you read the linked article it states for security. While it is possible that this adds a layer of uncertainty for theft I would much rather that than a terrorist incident. Things can be replaced, people not so much. Also-either don't bring valuables that you are that concerned with theft or lock them up. (bring a locking backpack or something if you need to) I'm sure this security measure will be able to be performed without actually rifling through your belongings. Also, don't bring a firearm to Disney (can't believe I had to say that).
This will do basically nothing for security. Just more theatre. The vast majority of mass shootings happen with weapons carried on the shooter to the scene in one trip. Even for a Vegas style stockpiling, it would only shorten the time frame from a few days to ~20 hours. You can carry up a ton of guns and ammo in 20 hours. Not mention, guns and ammo can be hidden from someone just doing a quick glance.

First of all, if Disney has a credible threat or reasonable suspicion of course they should check it out.
Nobody is saying otherwise.

Likewise, I am not talking about maid service, I am talking about a daily "security check."
Does that mean a perfunctory peek inside each room every day?
That wouldn't be much of a security check.

A real check would mean looking in drawers, closets, balcony, bath tubs, underneath mattresses, etc.
If they are doing this be it a public or private company, that is undeniable police state tactics.

I don't like the presumed guilt or assumption that everyone is a terrorist.
Going through the TSA style check in your hotel room while on vacation is ridiculous and makes most people uncomfortable.
Who wants to pay $200-400 a night to be treated like a criminal?

You hear of folks being pulled over without cause, this is unreasonable search without any reasonable suspicion.
I know Disney is all-in on Star Wars but the Stormtrooper tactics are a bad look.

They are indeed a private company and they have a right to do stupid things that won't mean any true additional safety, just anger their guests.
Perhaps Disney should stop taking PR tips from the NFL?

They are indeed a private company and they have a right to do stupid things that won't mean any true additional safety, just anger their guests.
Perhaps Disney should stop taking PR tips from the NFL?

What actual evidence do you have that these are stupid things? or that it just angers their guests?

You are not.

And it is as simple as throwing the latch at the top of the door that prevents anyone from opening it.
The deadbolt can be over come by security. Also if one person left the room and is expected back, most people wouldn't locked the deadbolt, especially if they were bathing.

Last edited:
This...

And...

Disney is not a public government. They have every right to do whatever they want; they're responsible to guest safety first AND shareholders. You, as people who "chose" to pay to use their resort, don't have "rights" on someone else's private property. Thank God. I'm glad they're incorporating this policy. They know way more than we do about private security and threats.
This isn't true at all. There are tons of laws that govern hotels and rental property. Cities and states could pass more at any time. If you are renting a house or apartment, the landlord must provide 24 hour notice before entering in just about every state, and a blanket "we might enter someday" doesn't count. I have no idea what the laws are for hotels, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter