New security measure: Do not disturb signs being Removed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn’t just the money. The money problem set off a red flag and they looked more at the person the transaction and ths card and something didn’t add up. Could have got the bank involved too.
I don't think it was the money perse. DS is a high-end shopping district. Spending thousands isn't all the abnormal and shouldn't be a red flag--otherwise I don't think shoppers who choose to spend $$$$ would appreciate being seen as 'red flag'.

But what probably was abnormal was maybe the frequency in which the items were purchased (as in how much time in between transactions--often people who steal credit cards quickly spend $ before it is found out so something like that could have been the thoughtprocess), the payment method, the behavior of the purchaser, etc.

Really for me I see both sides of this situation- on one hand you agree to the room searches upon check in, on the other hand for 20 + years it's been drilled into our heads not to open doors to unexpected or uninvited guests. Now I don't think that 100's of people are going to go door to door pretending to do security checks but that doesn't mean it won't happen once or twice. It happens everywhere (local scams of day laborers door to door rob people, firefighter associations calling for donations only to scam locals etc....) for me that's the worrisome part. I don't know what the answer is, these daily security checks will do absolutely nothing to insure that someone who is crazy and has planned out mass murder/destruction will be stopped. As stated above with the pizza flyers, people can come in undetected and place items under doors without being detected....someone could place small explosives underneath several doors and nothing could stop them. I do agree though that if you know about the policy beforehand you are essentially allowing them access as stated in their terms. Just like you agree to hold someone not accountable at sporting events, amusement parks etc....I would imagine that soon enough some of this policy will be adjusted. If people are being disrupted or if someone tries to force their way into an unsuspecting guest and are assaulted that will probably cause some changes. It's really hard to know where this policy will be in a year or two. Either way we will be down there in November and for the foreseeable future will continue to stay on site.

I have been following all of these threads about this new policy trying to be ready for our trip. We returned today from a 5 night stay at the Poly in a studio. We never had any trouble. We left our room every morning before 10 to head to the parks(but not rope drop early). I put out the room occupied sign in the evenings when we went to bed and removed it when we left for the parks. By the time we returned for a mid day break at 2 pm our trash had always been removed and we never heard anything from housekeeping/security. Most mornings when we left mousekeeping was already on our floor and saw us leaving. I’m so happy this ended up going well and hope maybe they are working the kinks out of this policy.

I’m not sure how this is supposed to make me feel safe? A strange man knocks on my door at any hour and I’m supposed to just let him in? Even if I’m in pj’s and half asleep? Even if I’m alone? It could be anyone! And when my husband goes for his morning coffee, I can’t hop in the shower like I’ve done for the last 40 trips, because I’d have to throw the safety lock on to feel safe, and he wouldn’t be able to get back in? I have six weeks before this trip, and I think I’m going to look elsewhere to stay.

I’m not sure how this is supposed to make me feel safe? A strange man knocks on my door at any hour and I’m supposed to just let him in? Even if I’m in pj’s and half asleep? Even if I’m alone? It could be anyone! And when my husband goes for his morning coffee, I can’t hop in the shower like I’ve done for the last 40 trips, because I’d have to throw the safety lock on to feel safe, and he wouldn’t be able to get back in? I have six weeks before this trip, and I think I’m going to look elsewhere to stay.
Definitely worth one of these....... :scratchin

These are the questions I have and I feel that Disney hasn't addressed them well. I am not letting someone in my room when we are in our pj's or if I am alone. I wouldn't do that in any situation but certainly not because we are subject to these searches. I am fine with them coming in our room but it has to be under safe circumstances.

Just returned from a week at Saratoga Springs Resort using points. The room did not have a Do Not Disturb sign. The recently announced return to daily trash service for DVC stays leads me to believe that Disney wants to have a cast member visit each room on a daily basis.

I am fine with this the Trash Bags are way to small so saves time

Wondering if entering your room without your consent is even legal? Found the below online:

In the USA law, respect for guest room privacy means (Jeff eries, 1983, 13): 1) guest’s peaceful possession of the room, 2) not allowing unregistered and unauthor- 702 Oliver Radolović ized third parties to gain access to his room and 3) entrance to the guest room only for routine housekeeping and in the case of an emergency. Hotel-keeper may enter a guest room only when it is necessary or proper (DeWolf vs. Ford, 1908, 193 NY 397), with “reasonable attention” (Sherry, 1993, 197).

I've said much the same in a couple of different threads. I don't know the specific laws, but I find it hard to believe that hotel guests have no legal expectation of privacy at all.

Certainly the hotel operator retains the right to enter the room at any time when necessary, but demanding immediate entry without urgent cause is quite a different thing.

A couple of years ago we did split stay. We accidently left something of value in first room. It wasn't meant to be hidden but was very hard to see. Manager said maid did not report anything found in room. We asked manager if he would knock on door and ask new people in room if he could get it or just go in room and get it for us. He said they could not legally enter the room. So they couldn't enter Then or even disturb guest but now can!!

I've said much the same in a couple of different threads. I don't know the specific laws, but I find it hard to believe that hotel guests have no legal expectation of privacy at all.

Certainly the hotel operator retains the right to enter the room at any time when necessary, but demanding immediate entry without urgent cause is quite a different thing.

Even if you agree to it? It is spelled out in the Terms and Conditions that they have the right to enter at any time, and you have to agree to that before booking. I highly doubt Disney would do anything like this without making sure they are following the letter of the law.

Yes!

Even if you agree to it? It is spelled out in the Terms and Conditions that they have the right to enter at any time, and you have to agree to that before booking. I highly doubt Disney would do anything like this without making sure they are following the letter of the law.
You defend WDW’s new policy as if you work for WDW and are one of it’s stakeholders.

If I’m incorrect, I apologize.

People are feeling violated by this new policy. It’s of major concern for those of us that spend big bucks ($13,000 in my case) to stay onsite in order to live in the Magical Disney bubble for the duration of our vacation. We want to be able to leave our rooms or rest in our rooms whenever we please without having to accommodate a security check. For those of us on a 1st or 2nd honeymoon, that privacy is even more important for us. I welcome housekeeping. I just want them to come when I am in the parks. On our last trip they always came at the MOST inopportune times. The handful of times they did clean, we had to change our plans and get out of their way because we really wanted our room cleaned and needed fresh supplies. The whole thing is inconvenient, unprofessional, and most likely ineffective.
I just want to enjoy my VERY EXPENSIVE second honeymoon without stupid B.S. nonsensical interruptions. Is that really too much to ask? I think not.

You defend WDW’s new policy as if you work for WDW and are one of it’s stakeholders.

If I’m incorrect, I apologize.

People are feeling violated by this new policy. It’s of major concern for those of us that spend big bucks ($13,000 in my case) to stay onsite in order to live in the Magical Disney bubble for the duration of our vacation. We want to be able to leave our rooms or rest in our rooms whenever we please without having to accommodate a security check. For those of us on a 1st or 2nd honeymoon, that privacy is even more important for us. I welcome housekeeping. I just want them to come when I am in the parks. On our last trip they always came at the MOST inopportune times. The handful of times they did clean, we had to change our plans and get out of our way because we really wanted our room cleaned and needed fresh supplies. The whole thing is inconvenient, unprofessional, and most likely ineffective.
I just want to enjoy my VERY EXPENSIVE second honeymoon without stupid B.S. nonsensical interruptions. Is that really too much to ask? I think not.

Nope, not defending it. But wondering if it is indeed illegal as many seem to think. They spell out what they can do pretty clearly. Why would someone agree to it if they were so upset about it? That makes no sense to me. I would certainly book elsewhere, which many have done.

I've stated before I think they could handle this whole thing better. And that I would not be thrilled to be bothered when I'm in my room.

People wonder how they can do something like this. They are telling you they will in no uncertain terms. As of now the choices are deal with it or book a non Disney resort.

Yes. The law is the law. A corporation cannot excuse themselves from the law by having someone sign a piece of paper, and you can't sign away your legal rights just by clicking a button.

That's why contracts always have clauses that say something like "except where prohibited by law" and "where a clause is not valid under local laws, only that clause will be impacted and the rest of the contract remains valid" .

Nope, not defending it. But wondering if it is indeed illegal as many seem to think. They spell out what they can do pretty clearly. Why would someone agree to it if they were so upset about it? That makes no sense to me. I would certainly book elsewhere, which many have done.

I've stated before I think they could handle this whole thing better. And that I would not be thrilled to be bothered when I'm in my room.

People wonder how they can do something like this. They are telling you they will in no uncertain terms. As of now the choices are deal with it or book a non Disney resort.
Well, as I sat with my family across from my Travel Agent, booking the most expensive and important vacation of our lives up to this point, this particular topic never came up. We have been multiple times. When I signed whatever I signed, I was not thinking about legal lingo.
I think of the fine print of a contract when sitting across from my lawyer, not when booking a milestone vacation with my fun and friendly travel agent.
Should she have reviewed the documents with us? Probably. Should we have reviewed them ourselves before signing? Probably. Sorry. I was literally giggling with glee, so overcome with excitement and happiness. We were all beside ourselves, talking over one another. At one point, I was simultaneously laughing and crying with absolute joy. My past experiences with Disney never made me feel as if I needed to read the documents word for word before signing.
Too late now.
We are not changing our plans. Does that mean we are happy about this bogus policy? No. Will we comply with the checks? What choice do we have? I’m not ruining my trip over this nonsense.
Our Action Plan: Notify front desk CM upon arrival that we go to parks between 8:00 am and 1:00 pm. We rest in our room until dinner. We would prefer housekeeping in the morning if at all possible. We will mention that we are celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary and would really appreciate not being disturbed unnecessarily.
Hopefully they will honor our requests. If they do not, any future trips to WDW will remain to be seen...

Unfortunately I have had bad experiences in the past with Disney. So you betcha I read everything when I book. It is a shame your TA either didn't know or didn't tell you about the change. Either is inexcusable imho.

Hopefully your trip ends up being everything you have dreamed and more.

So thinking through this further, here's my take (IANAL):

Let's assume that there are privacy laws around guests in hotel rooms, and that Disney is violating those laws with this policy. In order for that to cost Disney money, someone would have to care enough to take them to court, and then they would have to prove that Disney's violation of that law either cost them money directly, or that they were so terribly distressed by the whole thing that they should be entitled to "punitive damages". And yes, any damage award might be mitigated, if not outright eliminated, by the terms and conditions of the hotel contract. Practically speaking, such a lawsuit is reasonably unlikely, and any damages resulting from it would be small, in Disney's terms.

On the other side of the coin Disney is clearly concerned about both their legal liability and the impact to their business in the event of a Las Vegas style event. If that did happen, the cost to Disney would be a great deal higher than anything an individual unhappy guest is going to throw at them. Put simply, it seems that they have decided that this is the bigger risk, and the attempt (however ineffective) to protect against that is worth whatever business or legal risk they are taking with respect to privacy laws.

IF privacy laws exist, and if Disney is violating them, then it would likely be possible to challenge in court for an injunction against the security checks. But again, who's going to take that on?

So Disney will do whatever they're going to do, and our options as consumers are limited. But they are a bit better than "don't go" or "stand by and smile while our legal rights are violated". We can at least make our displeasure known to Disney, and if we know our legal rights (and again, to be clear, I do NOT - working on guesses here), they can be an aid in those conversations. And discussions in forums like this help to ensure people hear both sides of the issue, that their concerns are shared and valid, and that they do have options (however limited).

Unfortunately I have had bad experiences in the past with Disney. So you betcha I read everything when I book. It is a shame your TA either didn't know or didn't tell you about the change. Either is inexcusable imho.

Hopefully your trip ends up being everything you have dreamed and more.
Let’s hope so.:tink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter