• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Vendor Drop-Off Policy? Update: CONFIRMED exclusive drop off vendor = Scooterbug

how exactly is meeting the vendor supposed to work? Are the rental companies going to have to start stationing people at every resort? Because it is awfully unfair to disabled guests to expect them to hang around the resort upon arrival for the rental company to show up.

Last edited:
how exactly is meeting the vendor supposed to work? Are the rental companies going to have to start stationing people at every resort? Because it is awfully unfair to disabled guests to expect them to hand aground the resort upon arrival for the rental company to show up.
I'm getting the impression Disney doesn't care about what is "fair" to disabled guests. I have seen a general erosion of accommodation to disabilities over the past 10 years or so--especially as someone who goes both on solo trips as well as trips with others--it has made solo trips much more difficult. (For example, there used to be an area near the Haunted Mansion where you could park a scooter or wheelchair and enter from the exit--you missed the pre-show but oh well. Now, you have to park a scooter a ways away and either walk (if capable) or be taken in a wheelchair through the regular queue. I've only gone on HM once since that change occurred because I don't want to bother either my friends or a CM to push me in a wheelchair to go on the ride. It's taken away some of the independence of this disabled lady.)

how exactly is meeting the vendor supposed to work? Are the rental companies going to have to start stationing people at every resort? Because it is awfully unfair to disabled guests to expect them to hand aground the resort upon arrival for the rental company to show up.
⬆️ THIS!

I expect families that want to get to the parks as soon as humanly possible, that can’t/won’t split up are gonna complain and have to tell their kids: “Sorry, kids, but we have to wait for grandma/grandpa’s scooter to arrive before we go to the parks.”

I'm getting the impression Disney doesn't care about what is "fair" to disabled guests. I have seen a general erosion of accommodation to disabilities over the past 10 years or so--especially as someone who goes both on solo trips as well as trips with others--it has made solo trips much more difficult. (For example, there used to be an area near the Haunted Mansion where you could park a scooter or wheelchair and enter from the exit--you missed the pre-show but oh well. Now, you have to park a scooter a ways away and either walk (if capable) or be taken in a wheelchair through the regular queue. I've only gone on HM once since that change occurred because I don't want to bother either my friends or a CM to push me in a wheelchair to go on the ride. It's taken away some of the independence of this disabled lady.)

Same here! Especially if you or no one in your party can/wants to push you in a manual chair.

Isn't this how it used to be before Disney allowed the scooters to be dropped off at bell service? Personally, I would want to meet with the vendor and go over the scooter before I accepted delivery of it. If this is something that a person needs, then plan accordingly, just like any other person with any other issue. If someone can not truly walk even from the lobby to their room, and need to have an ECV immediately, then maybe having your own device from home is a better option.

Since disney has started charging for groceries going to bell services, I wonder if the next step will be charging for ECV, wheelchairs, etc. delivered to bell services.

Since disney has started charging for groceries going to bell services, I wonder if the next step will be charging for ECV, wheelchairs, etc. delivered to bell services.
They would make a lot of money if they did this. But unless we find out why ( and we may never know) they are changing there politics we will not know of money has anything to do with it.

On a side not anyone not happy with this policy should email Disney and let them know.

They would make a lot of money if they did this. But unless we find out why ( and we may never know) they are changing there politics we will not know of money has anything to do with it.

On a side not anyone not happy with this policy should email Disney and let them know.

I think what has happened is that what started out as a nice service, has turned into something that has become more of a burden on them. The amount of ECVs that they get at every resort now is substantial and I am sure that it affects the bell service for the whole resort. Bell service should really be for helping guests with their bags to and from their rooms. Accepting ECVs, groceries, other deliveries is probably starting to overwhelm the system. And it is not as easy as just hiring more people, there is a cost/value ratio for these kinds of things. If you think about it, the scooter companies are getting off easy with just dropping off the ECVs and not having to put in the time with THEIR customers. They really should be the ones that hand over their product to the customer and not expect Disney to do it.

I think what has happened is that what started out as a nice service, has turned into something that has become more of a burden on them. The amount of ECVs that they get at every resort now is substantial and I am sure that it affects the bell service for the whole resort. Bell service should really be for helping guests with their bags to and from their rooms. Accepting ECVs, groceries, other deliveries is probably starting to overwhelm the system. And it is not as easy as just hiring more people, there is a cost/value ratio for these kinds of things. If you think about it, the scooter companies are getting off easy with just dropping off the ECVs and not having to put in the time with THEIR customers. They really should be the ones that hand over their product to the customer and not expect Disney to do it.

It would also cut down on the likelihood of getting a scooter that doesn’t work/is uncomfortable.

The photos that PP referred to just show the sheer quantity of scooters being left at BS - which can pose a safety risk for workers
Because that photo was taken this year, while the policy changes in 2012 (thanks, @SueMinMN!), every one of those scooters belongs to a Featured vendor...Or Bell Services was violating policy by accepting equipment for/from non-featured companies.
These were photos at Disney Pop Century Resort Preferred Provider scooters.
Featured providers. Not Preferred. Different meanings.
The stories are a bit contradictory at this point - I’ve read no ECVs, wheelchairs or strollers can be left at Bell Services, but I’ve also read « approved vendors ».
I don't know how many of which stroller rental companies are permitted to use Bell Services to hold equipment, but since only five mobility equipment companies currently can, until October 1, this change should apply to only Featured vendors.

Because that photo was taken this year, while the policy changes in 2012 (thanks, @SueMinMN!), every one of those scooters belongs to a Featured vendor...Or Bell Services was violating policy by accepting equipment for/from non-featured companies.

Featured providers. Not Preferred. Different meanings.

I don't know how many of which stroller rental companies are permitted to use Bell Services to hold equipment, but since only five mobility equipment companies currently can, until October 1, this change should apply to only Featured vendors.
I deleted part of the phrase when I was editing.
The article I had read said only approved vendors would continue to be able to drop of items with Bell Services.

Since nothing written so far is from Disney directly, that did sound possibly contradictory.

I’ve read a number of posts and Facebook entries now that have said some of the ECV/wheelchair Featured Providers and some of the stroller Featured Providers have told customers it will affect them.

I’ve also read things from some of the grocery services that said they had contacted Disney and would not be affected. That may be true, it may be they don’t really know yet or it may be that it’s less trouble for Disney to receive/store those items. Plus, there is a charge for each delivery.

If this only affects non-featured providers, isn't that the way things currently work? I thought customers currently had to meet them when the ECV/etc. is delivered.

If this affects featured providers as well as other third-party vendors, it reduces the advantage of being a featured provider.

I don't really know, but I know the preferred providers in my photo were parked in the outside sidewalk area of the Pop Century Resorts Bell/Luggage Services office.

There is no doubt in my mind, that in the near future Disney will offer their own scooters, allowing pick up and delivery at resort. It's a money maker for them!!!

Disney's scooters are absolutely horrid! They are like driving a giant boat around. They are giant, slow, and just overall clunky. Not even sure they would fit in the buses or rooms.

Disney Bans Third-Party Vendor Drop-Offs at Bell Services for Walt Disney World Hotels (Strollers, ECVS, Groceries, and More)

by Blog Mickey

https://blogmickey.com/2019/09/disney-bans-outside-vendor-drop-offs-at-walt-disney-world-hotels/

Beginning October 1st, Disney will ban Bell Services drop offs by all third-party vendors. This includes, but is not limited to strollers, ECVs, and even groceries. Any reservations made prior to October 1st will be grandfathered in.

That said, Disney isn’t banning third-party vendors completely. Guests will still be able to meet with the third-party vendor that is making the delivery and accept whatever product is being delivered, but it must be done face-to-face. Guests will also have to meet with the third-party vendor to return the rental item, if applicable. This basically frees up Bell Services to only hold guest luggage and official vendor drop-offs.

Disney has yet to release a public statement on the matter. We’ll update the story with more information as it becomes available.

Last edited:
If someone can not truly walk even from the lobby to their room, and need to have an ECV immediately, then maybe having your own device from home is a better option.
There are valid reasons to not want to use your own device from home. First, there is a chance that your ECV/wheelchair will be damaged in transit by the airline--there goes your wheels--not only for this trip but for other uses. Yes, presumably the airline will pay for repairs/replacement but how soon will that occur? Second, you may encounter a technical failure with your unit while on vacation. If you have rented a unit all you have to do now is call the rental company and they will bring you a replacement (often to a park). If it is your own unit -- well, I just know it took me over a week to get a repair person out when my last scooter had issues (it had died it turned out)--that's not gonna work if I'm on the other side of the country and don't know who is available to repair or even look at the scooter/wheelchair.

Already have.
I would but not sure it would help I do not use an ECV or wheelchair and my friend thst do bring there own ( I like a few hours away so it is easy for them). If I can think of a way that it could help you bet I will be emailing Disney. Hopefully your get a good response

This seems like it will be more of a nightmare for the vendors than for the renters. Imagine having to meet people at 2 and 2:30 and 3 and 3:30 etc. Currently they can drop off a bunch at a time. And then having to meet for pick up too. If my flight is at 6am they'd have to meet at like 3:30 am to retrieve it. Not cool!
This is what worries me, we drive. We leave to drive home at 6 am, so the vendor would have to pick up between midnight and 6am and I have a feeling that they are not going to do that. My mother in law will no longer be able to come with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter