New Year, New Disney January 2023 Exercise Challenge

Twilight Sparkle

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the January 2023 exercise thread! The New Year is a chance for reinvention and moving forward. As we, perhaps, look for new ways to stay motivated and moving, let's take a look at all the "new" coming to Disney this year!

If you’re returning, we’re excited to have you back! If you’re new, welcome to the team! Here’s how it works:

Each person chooses a time goal and posts minutes towards that goal as they exercise. You can post daily or just catch up when you can. You decide what movement counts towards your goal - which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day.

Since January has 31 days, here are some common conversions:

15 minutes/day = 465
20 minutes/day = 620
30 minutes/day = 930
45 minutes/day = 1395
1 hour/day = 1860

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing! Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress.

10% - Silvermist Blue
25% - Fawn Orange
50% - Vidia Purple
75% - Rosetta Pink
90% - Iridessa Yellow
100% - Tinker Bell Green

We’re officially starting this challenge at the beginning of January, but if you don’t find the thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join!! There's no better time than the present to start toward your goals! Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Participants:

Twilight Sparkle 2685/1860
Oneanne 1230/930

Raya 20/300
PollyannaMom 550/600
sophy1996 985/1000

Elizabeth Smith 700/700
Bethislucy 605/850

Team 6775/6240 109%

Last edited:
I'm in for 300 minutes, if y'all haven't kicked me out for not making my goal two (three?) (many?) months in a row. I've got a secret stretch goal of 600 minutes, but this winter nonsense is kicking my butt. Crossing my fingers that the weather holds, and I can get to the gym tomorrow morning.

I'm in for 300 minutes, if y'all haven't kicked me out for not making my goal two (three?) (many?) months in a row. I've got a secret stretch goal of 600 minutes, but this winter nonsense is kicking my butt. Crossing my fingers that the weather holds, and I can get to the gym tomorrow morning.
Definitely not kicking you out! Glad to have you join in for as little or as much as you can.

Happy New Year, everyone! If any of you are traveling to WDW soon, you might be excited about this piece of New Disney news. After Hours Events are returning to Hollywood Studios on January 4th and to Magic Kingdom on January 9th. This is a separately ticketed event allowing guests to stay an extra 3 hours in the parks after they officially close. Similar to the Halloween and Christmas parties, sales are limited, so you should have shorter ride wait times during these events. I know they were pretty popular before everything shut down, so I imagine this is very good news for fans of these events. Tickets range from $129 to $159 per person depending on the date. You can find more info here:

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2022/09/27/news-after-hours-events-will-return-to-disney-world-soon/

Hi All! Still dealing with this crazy foot stuff, I have gone to a different doctor, and it looks like I'm headed for another surgery, but we are trying a few things first. I already like him a lot better he explains things and shows me what he's talking about. But I'm tired of sitting around not getting my exercise in so I dug out my old Wii and hooked it up yesterday. I can do the boxing training sessions and get my heart rate up some even in this walking cast. So, I'm hoping to do that a couple times a day to get some cardio in.

This month I'm going to try for 850 mins.

I can do the boxing training sessions and get my heart rate up some even in this walking cast.
Way to stay motivated and active! Love the determination.

I'm in for this month, even though I'm a few days late. We were driving home yesterday all day. I was able to stretch my legs every few hours, but I otherwise didn't get much movement in the car. LOL. I'll go for 700 minutes again and see how we do!

Congrats to sophy1996 for being the first to change colors! She is now Silvermist Blue!!! party:

A fairly controversial new thing happening in Magic Kingdom this year - this month, even - is the forever closing of Splash Mountain. This classic ride closes on January 23, 2023, so be sure to get a last ride in if you are heading to WDW this month.

My daughter and I had our last ever ride in December, and I have to say that while I was once sad about the upcoming changes, my - admittedly likely irrational - association with my vacation stomach illness and the ride water, has helped me come to peace with saying goodbye to Splash.

In case you haven't heard (who are we kidding, right?), Splash Mountain will be reimagined as Tiana's Bayou Adventure and is set to open the last half of 2024.

As far as I know, no word on Disneyland's Splash Mountain closure and retheme date.

In case you can't make it in time to say goodbye, here's a recent video of Magic Kingdom's Splash Mountain:

And here's info about the retheme:

What are your thoughts on this big, new change? Are you ready for it? Do you like it? Will you miss Splash Mountain? My only negative thought at this point is that I wish the ride could be set in Fantasyland. Do you think it makes sense in Frontierland?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter