"Newest" Moms Hangout... take 2!

AGHHH I keep trying to reply but I'm talking with someone on Facebook and it keeps clearing out my text. I'll come back with the huge paragraph about DVC, Lisa!!

Anyone have any ideas on how I can help Lucas understand a sippy cup?? He's used to just being able to suck on the nipple w/ the Drop-Ins bottles and the milk comes to him as the bag collapses. He doesn't have to hold the bottle up to get the milk out of it.
So he thinks he should be able to do the same with a sippy cup and gets irritated. He's good if we hold it but I'm not going to sit and hold his sippy cup all day! :rotfl:
So, looking for ideas.

...and now I've got to go give him a bath because he's covered in iced tea. Apparently I left my cup in the living room and he found it. Lovely.

We're in the same boat w/CJ. That's what I keep telling everyone, he can't figure it out cuz he's use to the drop ins just collapsing when he drinks. 1/2 the time he doesn't even tip his head at all!

On the sippy cup question.... have you thought of a straw cup instead? My older DS never, and I mean *never* held his own bottle. Sippys were a no-go until he was in preschool, seriously. Instead we did straw cups, started with the take n toss ones that they have at most Targets & Wal-Marts, probably other places as well. The take n toss straw cups fit tight enough that you can give the cup a little squeeze to start the liquid up the straw & the kid can get the idea to suck on the straw. They come with a small rigid straw that seems best to learn with, but after the kid gets the idea (and gets past the cup chucking phase- lol) you can switch to regular disposable straws -- which seems a lot more sanitary to me.:rotfl:

no luck for us w/the straw ones, but we got the ones w/valves..
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2799857

These are the take n toss one that are pretty good to learn with.:goodvibes

Hmmm.thanks for the suggestion (for patsy of course, but I'm stealing, too) I have some of these, I'll have to try, of course, make sure kids is covered, cuz I know he'll spill it everywhere. He just isn't getting the sippy cup. I am convinced that this one is going to break my record of no bottles once they turn one. Heck having a hard time kid training all around, my 3 year old has no desire to potty train!

I guess Katie weaned herself from the bottle at 10 mos. She just refuses them at daycare. She is still all about nursing though!

I said that I couldn't think about buying DVC because we have to save for a house. One just went up for sale 2 days ago that I would love to have! I'm obsessing over it now, but we just don't have the money. If it would stay on the market for 6 mos, maybe. But right now it is just a dream. It is in the community we used to live in, that dh wants to get back to. Some of you were talking about housing costs a few weeks back.

http://www.eplans.com/farmhouse_house-plans/HWEPL06108.hwx

It is this house, built in 2002, on 2 acres of land, surrounded by woods. It is a steal even for this area at $185,000. It would be so perfect, but so far from work (40 min or so). I have to get it off my mind!

\I said that I couldn't think about buying DVC because we have to save for a house. One just went up for sale 2 days ago that I would love to have! I'm obsessing over it now, but we just don't have the money. If it would stay on the market for 6 mos, maybe. But right now it is just a dream. It is in the community we used to live in, that dh wants to get back to. Some of you were talking about housing costs a few weeks back.

It is this house, built in 2002, on 2 acres of land, surrounded by woods. It is a steal even for this area at $185,000. It would be so perfect, but so far from work (40 min or so). I have to get it off my mind!

LOVE the porch!

I do too. And they added a deck on the back that goes from the back garage door all the way around to connect the two back porches.

It doesn't matter what they've done, though, because we don't need it and can't afford it. Doesn't make me stop wanting it though......:rolleyes1

Im pretty sure the Volo and the Triumph go back as far as the other, but the Volo doesnt move upward any. I was told that, anyway. Not sure if it's true!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2799857

These are the take n toss one that are pretty good to learn with.:goodvibes

OOOHHH!! Those will be perfect for wdw! The twins have been off bottles for a few weeks now, I really thought we would have more issues. But I just tossed the bottles a few days after they turned one, and if they wanted milk... they got a sippy cup. They are aces at drinking out of straws.. The only thing they wont drink out of a sippy cup is water, so we are going to need cups with straws for water at WDW.

I lost my planning notebook for WDW in our move!! I know its packed somewhere.. I just dont know where. I am starting all over again. JOY. Oh well. It shouldnt take me long. We are ordering groceries from Garden Grocer. Can we order from Safeway/Vonns?? Is there one in the area?? That other place just seems SO EXPENSIVE!! But we have to have the milk for the twins.. I dont want to run the risk of them not having it onsite.

Okay guys, have a question. Elliott is going to be starting cereal soon (yes, he is young, but doctor okayed it. Formula just isn't filling him up). I want to make my own cereal for him. But, my question is, would you send the ground up rice to the sitter's house, then she would have to mix it with water and then simmer for 10 minutes while stirring constantly, or just get her the box of Gerber and use the homemade stuff just at my house? She has a 14 month old that she watches in the morning, and is also getting a little girl then end of this month that is 8 days younger than Elliott.

OOOHHH!! Those will be perfect for wdw! The twins have been off bottles for a few weeks now, I really thought we would have more issues. But I just tossed the bottles a few days after they turned one, and if they wanted milk... they got a sippy cup. They are aces at drinking out of straws.. The only thing they wont drink out of a sippy cup is water, so we are going to need cups with straws for water at WDW.

Happy to help! Hope they work for you. They might also take a sport sip top water bottle, especially when its hot & they're not really used to the heat.

Okay guys, have a question. Elliott is going to be starting cereal soon (yes, he is young, but doctor okayed it. Formula just isn't filling him up). I want to make my own cereal for him. But, my question is, would you send the ground up rice to the sitter's house, then she would have to mix it with water and then simmer for 10 minutes while stirring constantly, or just get her the box of Gerber and use the homemade stuff just at my house? She has a 14 month old that she watches in the morning, and is also getting a little girl then end of this month that is 8 days younger than Elliott.

My grinder wasn't working perfectly to turn the rice into a powder when I made the cereal so what I did was cook the rice whole and then pureed it by adding formula until it was at a consistency that I felt comfortable feeding to him. I put it all into containers that I bought for making my own baby food and I put it in the refrigerator. The site said it can be in the fridge for up to 72 hours and then you can freeze it as well, but that when you thaw it out it may become slightly rubbery. Maybe it would be easier to do this for the sitter and then all she would have to do is just warm the cereal up slightly since it's already cooked. I hoped this helped!

I'd make it as easy for the sitter as you can. So if its not practical to send prepared homemade rice cereal, that maybe she could just heat up & not simmer & stir, then go with a commercially produced one thats easy for her to prep. Just my opinion though. Is there any reason that you can't send prepared rice cereal in maybe a thermos? (Well outside of morning time constraints, of course.)

I said that I couldn't think about buying DVC because we have to save for a house. One just went up for sale 2 days ago that I would love to have! I'm obsessing over it now, but we just don't have the money. If it would stay on the market for 6 mos, maybe. But right now it is just a dream. It is in the community we used to live in, that dh wants to get back to. Some of you were talking about housing costs a few weeks back.

CUTE house!! You never know, it might not sell right away and you could get your chance! We're hoping to move this late spring/early summer. I'm still in the process of de-cluttering our house (how we accumulated so much crap is beyond me!). My goal is to have our house on the market by the first of May. Of course I am so bad about searching online for houses and I think I found my "perfect" one! It's in the same area I grew up in and really close to my mom! We're actually going to look at it this weekend. If I really like it just hope it stays on the market long enough for us to make an offer! :rolleyes1

link to house

Both houses are so cute! Love those windows that go down to the floor!

We found our (my:lmao:) dream home last year, but our house didn't sell. We finally took it off the market and plan on putting it back up next spring. The market over here sucks!!! I'm trying to stay off realtor.com but it's so hard!:rotfl:

I have a question for all of you...not really baby related, but is Disney related. I got for the very first time a PIN code and it's for free quick service dining... Now my parents have DVC so I've never really paid much attention to the discounts on the website and I've heard of PIN's but never have gotten one...Well this one seems pretty tempting, and Jamie and I were thinking of using it to take Evan on his first trip in late july/early august. My question to all of you is, do you have to call to use the PIN or can you use it to book on the internet? Do you think it's worth it? With DVC you never get free dining and when we went in Feb we realized we should have been on some sort of dining plan because we ate a lot more than we thought! lol My parents would be going down as well and would be staying at a DVC resort, but we also thought that this could be our chance to take in other resorts...we are thinking Pop or maybe one of the Port Orleans... Opinions and recommendations welcome!

We went with a PIN when Lucas was 5 months old-- you have to call to book.

I love having the food paid for, personally. I didn't have to worry about budgeting for that part of the trip. It's too much food but we did a few "signature meals" that took two of the TS credits and would then use CS meals as dinner.

I would definitely try to take advantage of free-dining while Evan is still young. We're at that stage right now where dining is a little difficult...it's just easier NOT to go to the nicer restaurants:lmao:. Plus, with DVC, we eat in a lot, but we LOVED free dining when we did it in '07.

ETA: Speaking of food, does anyone know of any Melting Pot coupons out there right now? DH and I are going on our first overnight date in over 4 years. Woohoo!

I have a question for all of you...not really baby related, but is Disney related. I got for the very first time a PIN code and it's for free quick service dining... Now my parents have DVC so I've never really paid much attention to the discounts on the website and I've heard of PIN's but never have gotten one...Well this one seems pretty tempting, and Jamie and I were thinking of using it to take Evan on his first trip in late july/early august. My question to all of you is, do you have to call to use the PIN or can you use it to book on the internet? Do you think it's worth it? With DVC you never get free dining and when we went in Feb we realized we should have been on some sort of dining plan because we ate a lot more than we thought! lol My parents would be going down as well and would be staying at a DVC resort, but we also thought that this could be our chance to take in other resorts...we are thinking Pop or maybe one of the Port Orleans... Opinions and recommendations welcome!

The quick service dining doesn't work at any of the sit down restuarants, so just keep that in mind.

Using points for DVC will save you a lot more money than free quick service dining if you have that option.

POP and PO are going to be a rather large adjustment from DVC. But I've stayed at both, so if I can help you choose, just give me more info for what you are looking for.

Would you go to the one in Pittsburgh or Legacy Village? I know I get email coupons sent...you can sign up for Club Fondue and get a free chocolate fondue coupon. Our location also has "pre fix" menus that are slightly cheaper.

ETA: for some reason I think you live close to me, hence the Pit or LV comment... :teeth:

The quick service dining doesn't work at any of the sit down restuarants, so just keep that in mind.

Using points for DVC will save you a lot more money than free quick service dining if you have that option.

POP and PO are going to be a rather large adjustment from DVC. But I've stayed at both, so if I can help you choose, just give me more info for what you are looking for.

I've been on the dining plan while staying at a DVC resort and really enjoyed it. Since we'd only be going for 4 night/5 days we thought that quick service would be ok and I think were only planning on maybe going to 1 or 2 parks, but were also conisdering upgrading our tickets from 5 day bases to 10 day park hoppers with no expiration and only use 2 days while down there. I've stayed at All Star Sports before and I enjoyed it and I've always wanted to try the other resorts, I love the themeing. I thought the Free dining might be a good way to go because we get to try a new resort and get ticket and get to eat for free, but you're right DVC is very nice.

I'd love more info on Pop or PO if you have any!

I personally LOVE POP. I'm a bit of a dork, though. I've only stayed at POP, GF and CSR.

I think the resort is very well maintained, the food court is great and the bus service is superb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter