News and Developments for Future In-Person runDisney Events

Well, I can’t picture an announcement that starts with virtual W&D followed by a real MW. Who would bother with a virtual W&D? It would be pointless and pretty insulting. Even if they limited registration severely (say past registrants, AP, DVC, GO), and switched to a night race to reduce impact to park operations, and/or even cut the 1/2 and just left the 10K.

i fear that they will limit all entries if the open....this is not gonna be pretty.

I don‘t know. Things seem to be trending back towards “normal” at a rapid rate. Starting to see announcements that NFL stadiums plan to operate at 100% capacity in the upcoming season.

I don‘t know. Things seem to be trending back towards “normal” at a rapid rate. Starting to see announcements that NFL stadiums plan to operate at 100% capacity in the upcoming season.
I agree with the trending, and I hope you are right - my Travel Agent is saying that it is highly unlikely that there will be travel/bib packages or charity bibs available. The latter would surprise me because the entire purpose of the marathons (well one purpose) is to help charities. But that's just me being pessimistic probably - I hope I get into Dopey.

I agree with the trending, and I hope you are right - my Travel Agent is saying that it is highly unlikely that there will be travel/bib packages or charity bibs available. The latter would surprise me because the entire purpose of the marathons (well one purpose) is to help charities. But that's just me being pessimistic probably - I hope I get into Dopey.

The former would surprise me even more. Disney as a whole loses money when runners book cheaper off-site accommodations. A bib package ensures that those accommodation and associated food $$$ largely stay within the Disney bubble. My TA has been encouraging runners to book reservations that can have bibs added to them as soon as available. Sounds like TAs are speculating as wildly as we are!

In just the last 24 hours I've gotten numerous emails from indoor- and large-scale attendance institutions letting me know they're opening at 100% capacity (MLB stadium, outdoor concert amphitheater, etc.). Again, we have no insight as to the appetite Disney corporate has in putting these events on*, but CDC guidance, contemporaries in the running industry, and other external hurdles are on an "all systems go" trend.

*I do wonder how successful the virtual races were - and if they were a big profit driver if that hurts the move towards in-person races

I feel like it's possible (likely even?) that the first race or two will be "limited" simply by the challenges of international travel. Meaning, even if they don't reduce capacity, there may be fewer people trying to register? I haven't kept up with restrictions and hurdles for international travelers traveling to the US, though, so maybe that's no longer an issue?

For what it’s worth, a travel agent told me back in fall 2020 that it was likely runDisney would be discontinuing the TA travel/bib program. I can see how those bibs might add to the logistical complications of registration data. That said, I really hope that isn’t true and the program isn’t going away because I loved it!

All this makes me really nervous. I booked with TA only to increase my chances in getting a bib...

With potentially reduced capacity and pent-up demand, getting a bib on regular registration day will be awful!! (I'm going for the fairy tale challenge)

For what it’s worth, a travel agent told me back in fall 2020 that it was likely runDisney would be discontinuing the TA travel/bib program. I can see how those bibs might add to the logistical complications of registration data. That said, I really hope that isn’t true and the program isn’t going away because I loved it!
ding dang!!! That sucks! Uggh, I love that program - it helps me avoid heart attacks.

All this makes me really nervous. I booked with TA only to increase my chances in getting a bib...

With potentially reduced capacity and pent-up demand, getting a bib on regular registration day will be awful!! (I'm going for the fairy tale challenge)
same here...I'm really nervous - actually super scared at this point to be honest.

DD and I first ran Princess in 2017. Not long after Princess 2017 was over, we received emails from RunDisney with links to register for 2018. Easiest registration ever. Maybe if they started off that way for 2022, just sending those who took part in 2020 an email with the opportunity to register for 2022. I know it's not fair to those who didn't do it in 2020 but would want to in 2022. Just spitballin' with an idea as to how they could come back and yet control the number of people taking part and also cut down on the always frantic and frustrating registration process. Not everyone who took part in 2020 would do it in 2022; as mentioned previously, who knows what restrictions there would be for international participants to even get here; there would be some people who did Princess as a one and done bucket list thing in 2020; and I think there will still be a percentage of people who won't want to take part in the first couple of RunDisney races back until they see how everything works. I know this idea has drawbacks, just thinking out loud.

I will take anxiety over wondering if I will be able to get a Dopey Bib than anxiety over the event happening at all!! I believe it is going to happen and half way through the marathon I will ask myself why I wanted to do this -again- so badly! Here is to the weekend happening and everyone getting bibs!

As long as they give priority for my sister as a perfect Dopey for registration I’m not to concerned over a race for myself if they limit registrations. I would try and get whatever I could and if that ended up being nothing, so be it.

ETA: Seeing all of the posts here about people’s concerns toward a potential reduced field race adds to my belief that rD might not want to run a race under those circumstances. They could end up with more angry/disappointed customers than satisfied ones.

Last edited:
I don't know if they will cap the registrations. Looking at the big majors most of them either aren't capped at all (Chicago says it is expecting it's normal number of runners) or are running with a field around 30,000 or higher. I think if anything is "capped" it will be more a natural reduction in field size due to travel limitations rather than an actual limit on the number of bibs.

Well crap... and also YAY. I was planning on choosing marathon and 10K but, if it's limited, I know I have a better chance to get in by signing up for Dopey.

I feel like it's possible (likely even?) that the first race or two will be "limited" simply by the challenges of international travel. Meaning, even if they don't reduce capacity, there may be fewer people trying to register? I haven't kept up with restrictions and hurdles for international travelers traveling to the US, though, so maybe that's no longer an issue?

Flying to the US is not an issue. The main concerns now are what restrictions are in place when you return. Here in the UAE, aside from showing a negative PCR test to board the return flight, there are no other restrictions when returning from the US. Places like England, on the other hand, still have quarantine and self-isolation requirements in place.

Flying to the US is not an issue. The main concerns now are what restrictions are in place when you return. Here in the UAE, aside from showing a negative PCR test to board the return flight, there are no other restrictions when returning from the US. Places like England, on the other hand, still have quarantine and self-isolation requirements in place.

It may not be an issue for you, but it is an issue for a lot of people. Including the UK (so for "places like England", the issue isn't the quarantine and isolation then they get back, it is that they cannot get in).

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html
With specific exceptions, several Presidential proclamations suspend and limit entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens who were physically present within the following countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. For a full list of exceptions, please refer to the relevant proclamations in the links below.

But that is the CURRENT set or restrictions. I’m pretty sure many international runners will be willing to gamble on things having changed more to “open” in 7 months, when the races would actually take place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter