News and Developments for Future In-Person runDisney Events

You should contact them about that error. While there are also cabins at Fort Wilderness, it's not a lodge. They are going to confuse people with that.
I just received a reply to my email to Mears Connect. This was my email:
“I’m interested in booking shuttle service through Mears Connect, but there’s some confusion with how the resorts are listed in the Drop-off Location list. The list offers Fort Wilderness Campgrounds and Fort Wilderness Lodge, but there isn’t a “Fort Wilderness Lodge.” Is that supposed to be Disney’s Wilderness Lodge (which isn’t currently listed?) We have reservations to stay there for a future trip, so I just want to make sure I select the right resort so there’s no confusion at drop-off.”

And this was their reply:
“Thanks so much for reaching out and for choosing Mears Connect! We are excited to continue our service.

Yes, you are correct. Fort Wilderness Lodge is Disney's Wilderness Lodge.

I hope this helps and we look forward to seeing you in 2022!”

Apparently they have no plans to change this error? This just seems like a problem waiting to happen…

How does everyone handle the need for a large amount of bottled water if they do not have a car? I just cannot stomach paying the large $$$ for Disney bottled water when trying to re-hydrate after a run.

I get a refillable mug for the resort, drink during my meal, dump the rest into a bottle, refill my glass, finish my meal, drink some more, finish filling my bottle and refill my glass again to go back to the room. I typically keep refilling bottles from my glass, and sometimes will do multiple trips to the quick service restaurant for the sole purpose of refilling my mug (and bottle). Memory says I left the 2019 marathon finish line with both a bottle of water and a bottle of Gatorade. That trip, unless it came with a QS meal, I didn’t buy any liquids, I just kept refilling.

RE: water
We are local so we do drive in for our runs and so we normally do a publix or target run during the week leading up to the race…. I however will also bring a stainless steel tervis tumblr to fill with ice and fluids

How does everyone handle the need for a large amount of bottled water if they do not have a car? I just cannot stomach paying the large $$$ for Disney bottled water when trying to re-hydrate after a run.

I always have a car. Orlando water makes me sick to my stomach (it's fluoridated and I have always had severe issues with fluoride), and it's worth it to go get some spring water (not dasani or aquafina, because those are just bottled local municipal water). So I will go to Publix or Costco, etc, to get the water. Even if I just have a car for a day.

If you're going to Princess, give me a holler and I'll pick some up for you. I'm going there even if I don't manage to register for it (DVC points won't use themselves).

Apparently they have no plans to change this error? This just seems like a problem waiting to happen…

Hopefully your email will be noticed and they'll change it.

If you're going to Princess, give me a holler and I'll pick some up for you. I'm going there even if I don't manage to register for it (DVC points won't use themselves).
Thank you for the offer! I am going for Marathon Weekend this year. I have not worked out all my plans yet, but may look into the car rental idea...maybe a one way from the airport to Publix to Hotel to Car rental return.

how much was your round trip? Dh is nervous of not having a car, but I’m having a really hard time justifying $500 for 4.5 day car rental.

I was originally quoted $150, but I believe it turned out to be less than that, but then I added a generous tip.

I did wind up renting a car for the race mornings, but I picked it up at the hotel and only kept it for the days that I needed it. It was much easier than dealing with picking and returning the car at the airport and saved us 3 nights worth of parking fees. The parking fees is what really made the difference in my case.

Thank you for the offer! I am going for Marathon Weekend this year. I have not worked out all my plans yet, but may look into the car rental idea...maybe a one way from the airport to Publix to Hotel to Car rental return.

This is what I am doing MW. Fortunately, I have a corporate rate for my rental and can rent one way--with no drop off fees--- for $45 total. Right now the rates are still nuts $100+ for a daily rental.

I have in the past had a private car service at the airport to take us by the grocery store before we get to the hotel to pick up a flat of water. I am expecting on my next trip that I will need at least 2 or 3 flats of water over the week. How does everyone deal with the need for multiple grocery pickups during their trip if they do not have a car? Add into the mix hotel hopping where I do not want to be hauling 3 flats of water between hotels.

Are you using a grocery delivery service, Amazon - shipping, Walmart delivery?

There are also the option of Instacart & Shipt.

I keep checking for runDisney at Anaheim. They suspended those before Covid. I think because of construction. Has anyone heard if the CA races will ever start again? I always wanted to do light side/dark side in the same year.

I keep checking for runDisney at Anaheim. They suspended those before Covid. I think because of construction. Has anyone heard if the CA races will ever start again? I always wanted to do light side/dark side in the same year.

There has been no announcement about CA races but they cancelled the WDW Star Wars race so I don't think there will be a chance for that challenge again.

Initially they were scrapped for Star Wars lane and a since scrapped hotel project but there were also issues with the city of Anaheim since property is much smaller than Florida so the half ran through the city proper….

idk how much of the half ran outside but with spring Surprise allegedly trying out different distances I’d wonder if it would be worth disneys while just to do 5k 8k 10k distances again

I wish they'd make additional announcements about what distances will be available for the Spring Surprise weekend.

If they don't have a half marathon, I'd rather just sign up for Princess weekend. At least that one doesn't interfere with my usual POT race, and I know I love 2022's themes. Though with my luck, I'd sign up for Princess and then they'd announce a Figment medal for one of the Spring Surprise events....

I wish they'd make additional announcements about what distances will be available for the Spring Surprise weekend.

If they don't have a half marathon, I'd rather just sign up for Princess weekend. At least that one doesn't interfere with my usual POT race, and I know I love 2022's themes. Though with my luck, I'd sign up for Princess and then they'd announce a Figment medal for one of the Spring Surprise events....
I agree with everything you said.

I did the challenge for 2017 Tink and iirc probably half of the Half was outside Disney property. The 5K and 10K races were both contained inside the boundaries, and the 10K course weaved mostly between the two parks. It was great!

2017 Light Side Challenge was the same. The 10k ran you through both parks, then took you backstage and around the backs of the parks to get back over by the hotels. The first half of the Half was similar to the 10k course, winding around both parks, then it shunted you out onto city streets for the second half. It felt like both of them were optimized for getting the runners out of the parks as quickly as possible.

Here's my Strava tracks for them:

10K:
Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 9.06.32 AM.png

Half:
Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 9.06.38 AM.png

In early 2018, runDisney stated that they wanted to return to the west coast, but that was almost 4 years ago. Who knows if that is still in the plans, let alone when.

As for Star Wars races coming back, I don't think that will happen unfortunately. Both the Star Wars races and Marvel Avengers races did not sell as well as other runDisney weekends and I think that at least some of the appeal for Star Wars races took a hit when Disneyland canceled their races.

I hope Disneyland races come back too, but hoping and expecting are two very different things. There was a different vibe in the Disneyland races because so many people from the community were happy to provide cheering sections and support. Not a better or worse vibe, just a different one.

I wish they'd announce, like, ANYTHING about the spring surprise weekend. It would have been very helpful to have some information in order to consider/plan the springtime surprise vs. Princess weekend, yes.

I wound up signing up for Princess. It would have been way better to know my options up front. I could maybe still do both, as the springtime surprise weekend is preferable timing-wise. But they should have at least told us what it's going to be by now, I think.

Timing-wise I feel like they have to say something soon as registration would normally open within 3-4 weeks?

Yeah, We are also right at the 7-month window, depending on when you want to arrive. It is also my family’s spring break so we are coming in earlier so I went ahead and booked at Kidani. But it would be nice to know something about the race weekend.

In early 2018, runDisney stated that they wanted to return to the west coast, but that was almost 4 years ago. Who knows if that is still in the plans, let alone when.

As for Star Wars races coming back, I don't think that will happen unfortunately. Both the Star Wars races and Marvel Avengers races did not sell as well as other runDisney weekends and I think that at least some of the appeal for Star Wars races took a hit when Disneyland canceled their races.

I hope Disneyland races come back too, but hoping and expecting are two very different things. There was a different vibe in the Disneyland races because so many people from the community were happy to provide cheering sections and support. Not a better or worse vibe, just a different one.

Thanks, Sleepness Knight. Hope springs eternal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter