News and Developments for Future In-Person runDisney Events

Anyone want to play “What restrictions will be in place for W&D”? I had just come back from a trip this month. prior, I gave it a 50/50 chance of actually happening. However, after seeing how things have been handled in FL, I have little to no doubt these races will happen. My feeling is that they will have some kind of safety measures of sorts. I suppose anything is possible but considering we were there during a major spike in cases, I got the feeling that there will not be another total shut down. Heck, we were at Universal and you wouldn’t have even known there was a pandemic! Anyhow, thoughts? My guess is if cases remain high, maybe they’ll tell us to mask in the reunion area and corrals. No issue here, just kind of speculating for lack of better things to do.

Anyone want to play “What restrictions will be in place for W&D”? I had just come back from a trip this month. prior, I gave it a 50/50 chance of actually happening. However, after seeing how things have been handled in FL, I have little to no doubt these races will happen. My feeling is that they will have some kind of safety measures of sorts. I suppose anything is possible but considering we were there during a major spike in cases, I got the feeling that there will not be another total shut down. Heck, we were at Universal and you wouldn’t have even known there was a pandemic! Anyhow, thoughts? My guess is if cases remain high, maybe they’ll tell us to mask in the reunion area and corrals. No issue here, just kind of speculating for lack of better things to do.
Masks Required on Busses and possibly at Expo if indoor masking doesn't get dropped in the next few months
This "Precaution" is self indulgent but maybe limit the Expo itself to just runners (or runners + non running spouses and children)
Runners only on Race Transport if that wasn't already a thing
No ChEAR Squad and a general limit to spectators

Masks Required on Busses and possibly at Expo if indoor masking doesn't get dropped in the next few months
This "Precaution" is self indulgent but maybe limit the Expo itself to just runners (or runners + non running spouses and children)
Runners only on Race Transport if that wasn't already a thing
No ChEAR Squad and a general limit to spectators
I was kind of figuring they’d keep all indoor mask requirements, but hadn’t thought of limiting to just runners and such there and on transport. Hmm, wonder if they’d do that.

I was kind of figuring they’d keep all indoor mask requirements, but hadn’t thought of limiting to just runners and such there and on transport. Hmm, wonder if they’d do that.

The Expo is really just another retail sales opportunity to Disney and the mouse isn't known for limiting the number of people they will take money from so I'm going with unlikely.

Anyone want to play “What restrictions will be in place for W&D”?
As a Floridian living through this surge, I expect the races to go on with little or no safety precautions. I mean, WDW is packing people into outdoor spaces maskless for fireworks: why would a race be any different? If WDW is still requiring masks indoors at that time, I'd expect the same for the expo. I expect socially distanced characters, if they're still doing that in the parks.

What you didn't ask, but I'm adding anyway, is that I'm personally feeling really nervous about this race weekend now. It's so bad here. I really do hope things look better by early Nov., but man - that's hard to imagine at the moment. Every department in the large organization for which I work is being hobbled by people out sick or in quarantine. I'm in a high-risk category and I wish I hadn't registered, TBH, but since I did, I'm now trying to think of how best I can keep myself safe and still race. I'm really hoping rD will allow us to socially distance ourselves if we wish in the start area/corrals.

As a Floridian living through this surge, I expect the races to go on with little or no safety precautions. I mean, WDW is packing people into outdoor spaces maskless for fireworks: why would a race be any different? If WDW is still requiring masks indoors at that time, I'd expect the same for the expo. I expect socially distanced characters, if they're still doing that in the parks.

What you didn't ask, but I'm adding anyway, is that I'm personally feeling really nervous about this race weekend now. It's so bad here. I really do hope things look better by early Nov., but man - that's hard to imagine at the moment. Every department in the large organization for which I work is being hobbled by people out sick or in quarantine. I'm in a high-risk category and I wish I hadn't registered, TBH, but since I did, I'm now trying to think of how best I can keep myself safe and still race. I'm really hoping rD will allow us to socially distance ourselves if we wish in the start area/corrals.
If things are still looking bad by late Nov I’m going to call and try to finagle my way into the virtual option for MW. I’m in what is being recognized as a higher risk group despite initially being claimed at no additional risk (asthmatics of the world, unite) so I’m not really keen on getting exposed to whatever Florida is brewing up. We’re not much better off here in TX though, so maybe it’s a net neutral.

I tell ya, I’m in CT and it’s a different looking world here than what it looked like in FL. Not good or bad, just different. I’m a pretty freedom loving person but even the MK crowds gave me a bit of pause (conditioned from the past year I’m certain). I agree though, from that experience I kinda knew there was no chance of cancellation. Not sure if there are better hours to hit the expo for a less crowded level..maybe later in the day after the first rush. Other things they probably could adapt to are using more of the outdoor’ish areas of WWoS for packet pick-up anyhow. I’ve seen some of that prior. Local races have a mailing option for bib/shirts too. Maybe we’ll see that in the future. With pre-order of race merch I’d pay for a mail option! Sorry to shift gears a little, just a whole lot of wondering in this new reality we live in.
Also, I’ve seen those comments about insurance and paid deferment. Hoping rD is taking notice!

If things are still looking bad by late Nov I’m going to call and try to finagle my way into the virtual option for MW. I’m in what is being recognized as a higher risk group despite initially being claimed at no additional risk (asthmatics of the world, unite) so I’m not really keen on getting exposed to whatever Florida is brewing up. We’re not much better off here in TX though, so maybe it’s a net neutral.
Unite indeed, fellow asthmatic here ;-). Although, I’m losing my mind at home and don’t think I could take another virtual season! But yep, they should be able to give flexible options.

I just had my local October half in PA canceled. Hope this isn’t a domino falling.
The local 5K I ran in August moved bib pick up to an outdoor location and distributed medals their and canceled post race celebrations/awards
The local 5K Im doing in two weeks just announced they were canceling post race celebration/awards and there would be no official start time instead you can start anytime within a 90 min window (but it’s Florida so I’m sure people will mostly be cramming to start earlier to heat the heat myself included)

The local 5K Im doing in two weeks just announced they were canceling post race celebration/awards and there would be no official start time instead you can start anytime within a 90 min window (but it’s Florida so I’m sure people will mostly be cramming to start earlier to heat the heat myself included)
Weird, I have a 10k in 2 weeks that did the opposite: It was going to be a 90 min window but they changed it to everyone starting at the same time, citing covid changes. Maybe too few people signed up to make it worth it to keep the start open for so long.

Not sure if there are better hours to hit the expo for a less crowded level..maybe later in the day after the first rush.
Yep, I can vouch: I always hit the expo later in the day, if I have to visit the first day, and it's not crowded at all.

The major issue with doing much of the expo outdoors is that early Nov. is still dicey for FL's weather - they'd have to shut everything down for a thunderstorm, which seems really problematic. They can have people line up outdoors, but I can't see putting booths and pick-up windows outside.

Yep, I can vouch: I always hit the expo later in the day, if I have to visit the first day, and it's not crowded at all.

The major issue with doing much of the expo outdoors is that early Nov. is still dicey for FL's weather - they'd have to shut everything down for a thunderstorm, which seems really problematic. They can have people line up outdoors, but I can't see putting booths and pick-up windows outside.

I'd think they can split the difference and have the expo in the covered but outdoor concourse area of the baseball stadium. I can't say I've paid a lot of attention to the size of the covered concourse there but even our minor leage stadiums here would have enough room for a covered but outdoor expo.

I'd think they can split the difference and have the expo in the covered but outdoor concourse area of the baseball stadium. I can't say I've paid a lot of attention to the size of the covered concourse there but even our minor leage stadiums here would have enough room for a covered but outdoor expo.

2018 marathon weekend the packet pickups for the 5k was in the baseball stadium concourse. Wednesday morning it poured, and between the blowing rain and wind the volunteers were having a hard time.

Florida is going to be one of the safest places in the world to be by November especially for anyone vaccinated. It’s just math.
Yes. Just think, with so many people in Florida having the virus plus the number of people vaccinated, lots of people there now have antibodies. But what about all of the tourists?

Yes. Just think, with so many people in Florida having the virus plus the number of people vaccinated, lots of people there now have antibodies. But what about all of the tourists?
Unvaccinated people who travel without vaccination or recent prior infection are going to be at risk of getting it for the rest of time with continuing less and less poorer outcomes for the average person.

I found a link to this podcast in another forum:

Six Minute Mile

It's a roundtable with several directors of races around the country, including Jon Hughes, who is Track Shack Co-owner and Race Director of the Walt Disney World Marathon. It's about 50 minutes long but may be worth a listen if you'd like to get an idea what race directors are thinking as races start to come back. There is discussion about expos (likely will be different than what we are used to), having corrals that are larger as far as physical space to allow distancing, the potential for runners at the finish being handed a bag that will contain the medal/water/snack box, etc. The gist is that things are always changing and they are rethinking how races are run over all. As far as bus transportation, the thought is that buses may be at full capacity, but runners will have to mask and the bus windows open. It seems to boil down to they won't be able to say exactly what will happen at each race until much closer to the race when they can see what the situation is in each area. Note that what I listed isn't always what Jon Hughes said, but what the various race directors said, and they all seem to be pretty much in agreement with each other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter