News from the BWV annual meeting - Dining plan

monorail express said:
quick question- we have a large group going next year and i was thinking of all of us using the dde. can this be used for all 3 meals or just one meal? and the tip isnt included correct? i'm wondering which would be better to do the dining plan or dde.

thanks

It can be used at as many table services meals as you want. Also at a couple AK counter service spots and at the food courts of the value resorts and POFQ. And the lounges. You can't use it at the Solphin or RFC. There are a few other exceptions including Cinderella's Royal Table after Feb.1.

The discount is made before you add the tip. So the 20% off pretty much covers the tip. Be sure to tip prediscount.

If your large group won't be dining together all the time, it's possible that the dining plan would work out better in your case. The DDE cardholder(s) have to be present. You do get two cards/couple though.

Happy planning.

We have 8 people in a 2 bedroom villa in October. While we are all family, we have widely different interest & will probably break up into different groups each day. So when they add your dining credits to your "Keys to the Kingdom" card - do they do it on an individual basis for each room member, or is everyone's credits on one card where 1 person has to try to keep track of who used what? Thanks for your help!
Dave

WelcomeHome said:
We have 8 people in a 2 bedroom villa in October. While we are all family, we have widely different interest & will probably break up into different groups each day. So when they add your dining credits to your "Keys to the Kingdom" card - do they do it on an individual basis for each room member, or is everyone's credits on one card where 1 person has to try to keep track of who used what? Thanks for your help!
Dave

Actually neither. The credits are on your cards but not on an individual basis. So if three of you are at Chefs while 5 are at Mama Melrose, at each restaurant you would only need to present one card. The system keeps track of the total meals used.

kadaten said:
I would assume it's 'cause meals there are going up significantly and will include a photo package with them. There will no longer be just having a meal there....

Waiting to see how this all shakes out....

Well, that's a shame. We had a nice "grownup" dinner for 4 adults there in October with the DDE card. It was nice to just sit for a bit and enjoy the castle. No characters, no photos, not even all that many kids - just a lovely evening meal. Guess we won't be doing that again soon.

DisFlan

InstImpres said:
Depending on how "large the group" consider getting one AP. DDE is good for up to 10 people discounted (plus the alchol). We found in one meal at Chef Mickey's it was paid for. After that, it's gravy.

Thanks - I think that's the direction we will go. Just have to convince my mother to buy herself an AP :rolleyes:

BCV23 said:
Actually neither. The credits are on your cards but not on an individual basis. So if three of you are at Chefs while 5 are at Mama Melrose, at each restaurant you would only need to present one card. The system keeps track of the total meals used.

On the reverse though, someone could theoretically use your credits, so just keep an eye out for that.

We seldom eat at CS at all. We do eat at TS 1-2 meals/day, but we pretty much never eat dessert. We might split an appetizer.

I think that DDE would work better for us... but it is probably too close to even worry about.

Off topic: If I am going in mid-February, can I order my DDE now and get my permanent card in time? I have PAP vouchers in hand... but the clock has not been started yet.

/Jim

We just returned from a 4 night stay. We kept track of our dining expenses for the two of us and we saved about $25 using the DDE card over what the DP would have cost us.

The comparison for your group needs to be based on how you would normally dine. If you usually have a counter serve and a full service meal each day- the DP will likely save $$. In our case, we rarely have an appetizer or dessert and do not have a full service meal each day. On this trip we had breakfast in our villa each day (cereal, juice, milk and grapefruit purchased at the Conch Flats store - ~$15 total), ate at the Brown Derby, Olivia's and Narcoossee's (using DDE) and also had three counter-serve meals (none accepted the DDE). Our totals for those meals (including breakfast) was about $280 including gratuity and not including "adult" beverages. Cost for the four days with the Dining Plan would have been $304 (plus tax). When you figure in the discount on the wines we enjoyed with our dinners, the savings would have been even more.

Just do the math based on your usual dining habits as this is not a one-size-fits-all decision. In our case, the DDE will serve us best, but for those with different dining habits, the Dining Plan will be the better choice.

FLYNZ4 said:
We seldom eat at CS at all. We do eat at TS 1-2 meals/day, but we pretty much never eat dessert. We might split an appetizer.

I think that DDE would work better for us... but it is probably too close to even worry about.

Off topic: If I am going in mid-February, can I order my DDE now and get my permanent card in time? I have PAP vouchers in hand... but the clock has not been started yet.

/Jim

Order it by phone Monday thru Friday using a credit card when you get there. By getting the card on or after Feb 7 it will be good until the last day of March 2007.

Order it at 9 am and it will be ready for you to pick up at 5:30 same day.

If you are arriving on the weekend I would call on Friday so it will be there when you arrive.

You will be issued a temporary card that can be picked up at EPCOT guest services at the front. Easy, just show them a photo ID. You also get a list of where you can use it.

I did it while I was there because I wanted to be home when the permanent one arrived. It takes about three weeks. They will not allow it to beforwarded or held. You will get two cards.

FLYNZ4 said:

/Jim
You should probably check the Restaurants board for the latest news on how long it is taking for the card to arrive. Last I checked, some people were getting their cards in only 3-4 weeks as opposed to the 6-8 weeks it took in early 2005. In case you're not already aware, your DDE membership starts the day you order it, not when you first use it. So if you purchase the DDE now, your expiration date will most likely be Dec 31, 2006. If you wait to purchase it closer to your vacation dates, you'll get an expiration of Jan 2007 or maybe even Feb 2007 (if you order in mid January). If you do not plan to go to WDW in Jan '07 or Feb '07, then it doesn't matter and you may as well order it sooner rather than later to ensure that you get it in time. But if you think you'll go back in mid-Feb 2007 as well, then waiting to order the card until you can get an end of Feb 2007 expiration date allows you to use the card for more than one trip.

The downside of waiting to order it is that if you don't receive the card in time you have to stop by Epcot to pick up a temporary card. And there is also the question of whether or not this AP perk will continue to be offered in 2006 and whether the cost will remain $50.

LisaS said:
there is also the question of whether or not this AP perk will continue to be offered in 2006 and whether the cost will remain $50.
Lisa,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am unlikely to need it in Jan/Feb '07, but I do not really know for sure. I think I will order it now to make sure that I get one. If I understand the previous post correctly... maybe I should wait a few more days (December 7th??) and it might not expire until Jan 31, 2007.

/Jim

LisaS said:
You should probably check the Restaurants board for the latest news on how long it is taking for the card to arrive. Last I checked, some people were getting their cards in only 3-4 weeks as opposed to the 6-8 weeks it took in early 2005. In case you're not already aware, your DDE membership starts the day you order it, not when you first use it. So if you purchase the DDE now, your expiration date will most likely be Dec 31, 2006. If you wait to purchase it closer to your vacation dates, you'll get an expiration of Jan 2007 or maybe even Feb 2007 (if you order in mid January). If you do not plan to go to WDW in Jan '07 or Feb '07, then it doesn't matter and you may as well order it sooner rather than later to ensure that you get it in time. But if you think you'll go back in mid-Feb 2007 as well, then waiting to order the card until you can get an end of Feb 2007 expiration date allows you to use the card for more than one trip.

The downside of waiting to order it is that if you don't receive the card in time you have to stop by Epcot to pick up a temporary card. And there is also the question of whether or not this AP perk will continue to be offered in 2006 and whether the cost will remain $50.

If you order it prior to the 7th of the month it will expire 12 months later IE buy 6th May 06 it expires last day May 2007. Order it May 7th it expires last day June 07. Order it on or after the 7th it is good for 13 months. Got that from the CM who took my order and that is what happened.

You do have a point it may not be offered in 2006.

FLYNZ4 said:
maybe I should wait a few more days (December 7th??) and it might not expire until Jan 31, 2007.
Just to add to what manning has already posted, waiting until Dec 7 to order it should get you a January expiration date. Just ask the CM to confirm what your expiration date will be when you call to order it.

Questions about the DP:

1. Looking at the chart Disney has online - does a character meal count as 1 sitdown? Or 2?

2. I have a split ressie. First two nights at the Boardwalk Inn, next 5 nights at BWV, last 2 nights at Boardwalk Inn. Will I only be able to get the DP for the 5 middle nights I am at the BWV? :confused3

3. Does the DP only let you order certain designated items off a sitdown restaurant's menu?

4. Can I use my DDE card for drinks at the same time I am using the DP?

Thanks for the help!

We used the Dining Plan during our November trip - we stayed at the PoP Century. In aswer to your questions:
1. Most character meals are 1 TS credit. However, it is my understanding CRT will be 2 TS credits next year.

2. Under the current plan you can only get the DDP with a stay of 3 nights or more becasue that is the number of nights it takes for a reservation to be considered a package. We will have to wait and see what the final rules are on the DVC version.

3. You can order most anything off of the menu. However, the rules seem to vary by dining location and waiter/waitress (I know there are written rules as to what you get on the dining plan, but some of the cast members interpret the rules differently. We ate at LeCellier twice during our last visit and we were given different rules as to what we could and could not have at each of the two visits)

4. We were told we could use the DDE along with the meal plan, but when it came time to pay. I didn't bother using the DDE.

2. Under the current plan you can only get the DDP with a stay of 3 nights or more becasue that is the number of nights it takes for a reservation to be considered a package. We will have to wait and see what the final rules are on the DVC version.

Oh no! I hope you don't have to stay 3 nights before you can purchase the DDP. We are staying for 2 nights before our DCL cruise in May and wanted to give the DDP a try.

Anyone else know if this is true?

Thanks!

Donna

donmil723 said:
Oh no! I hope you don't have to stay 3 nights before you can purchase the DDP. We are staying for 2 nights before our DCL cruise in May and wanted to give the DDP a try.

Anyone else know if this is true?

Thanks!

Donna

If you are staying DVC, then the best thing to do is call Member Services. THey can answer your questions.

If you are staying at a regular hotel (not paid for with DVC points, but a regular stay), then call Disney Reservations and ask. The CMs are going to be able to answer and find out for you and they are really nice about calls like that.

That is your best bet to find out for sure.

mnasf said:

I don't think that's true. We are staying two nights in February before an offsite stay and we were able too add the dining plan for those two nights. I did it in an online booking, didn't seem to be a problem.

We weren't able to get any of the current package discounts because of the short stay but we were able to add the dining.

Jen D said:
I don't think that's true. We are staying two nights in February before an offsite stay and we were able too add the dining plan for those two nights. I did it in an online booking, didn't seem to be a problem.

We weren't able to get any of the current package discounts because of the short stay but we were able to add the dining.

That sounds promising then for us DVC members!

If you are staying DVC, then the best thing to do is call Member Services. THey can answer your questions.

Yes, we are staying at BWV using our DVC points. I plan to do that in January as soon as we can book the dining plan.

Thanks!

Donna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter