News Round Up 2016

I disagree - if you were talking 30 years ago yes Batman/Superman were much, much bigger, but the top Marvel franchises are as name-brand recognizable today as those characters. Iron Man and Captain America are on par with Batman & Superman. Go into your nearest Kohl's and count the styles of shirts and who has more on the shelf.

As far as TV: "Successful" is all relative. The ratings for those shows are CW good, but not really good.
Agents of SHIELD got 5.5 MIL last season. / Agent Carter a 4.3
Gotham had 5.3
Flash - the most successful of the CW - DC shows -got 4.4
Legends of Tomorrow - 3.2, Arrow - 2.5
Supergirl beat them all with an 8.9 - but was so expensive ($3 million per episode) that CBS dumped it to CW, which likely means it's ratings drop significantly - towards the end it was barely holding in the low 7s.
you took the words out of my mouth.

I disagree - if you were talking 30 years ago yes Batman/Superman were much, much bigger, but the top Marvel franchises are as name-brand recognizable today as those characters. Iron Man and Captain America are on par with Batman & Superman. Go into your nearest Kohl's and count the styles of shirts and who has more on the shelf.

As far as TV: "Successful" is all relative. The ratings for those shows are CW good, but not really good.
Agents of SHIELD got 5.5 MIL last season. / Agent Carter a 4.3
Gotham had 5.3
Flash - the most successful of the CW - DC shows -got 4.4
Legends of Tomorrow - 3.2, Arrow - 2.5
Supergirl beat them all with an 8.9 - but was so expensive ($3 million per episode) that CBS dumped it to CW, which likely means it's ratings drop significantly - towards the end it was barely holding in the low 7s.

Like I said...I'm on the fence. I'm a Marvel fan, I have been since I was a kid. Marvel is a much bigger draw for me. However, I still think Superman is a bigger name.

with all the Apple discussion - don't you wonder why Apple's presence at the Disney parks isn't more obvious, other than sales of iPhone products I mean. I wonder why they don't sponsor an attraction - or maybe they do and I just don't know about it, being one of those Androidits.

Or open an Apple Store at Disney Springs.

Like I said...I'm on the fence. I'm a Marvel fan, I have been since I was a kid. Marvel is a much bigger draw for me. However, I still think Superman is a bigger name.
I don't think so. Lets leave movies out of it for now. The younger generation is more into grit and such in comics, and Marvel has been on some cutting edge kind of stuff, that DC is not. Heck Marvel Took Captain America and made him a Hydra agent in one story line, other thank killing superman for a while what has DC done?

But I think the movies tell the final part of the story. Clearly the marvel franchise has done vastly better than DC, both due to quality and direction. But the litany of heros on the Marvel side, that have fan bases is much, much bigger than DC imo.

I am somewhat surprised that Uni would consider this now, vs. the money they could pull in with their limited Marvel pull. Unless and I have no data on this, folks are giving feedback to them on why go to IOA for Marvel when Disney should have it due to its better ability to market it?

I will add, Disney still has to have some kind of draw for the teen and young adult males in its parks. Indy could be one draw, but its aged out. Star Wars will be one, but to add a Marvel, where they are scoring so huge in movies would be a huge feather in their caps.

I am somewhat surprised that Uni would consider this now, vs. the money they could pull in with their limited Marvel pull. Unless and I have no data on this, folks are giving feedback to them on why go to IOA for Marvel when Disney should have it due to its better ability to market it?

My guess it that UO has it's hands tied as to what they could do to improve their Marvel area. The biggest thing they have with the Marvel contract is probably keeping it from Disney. Disney must be finally throwing a number at them that makes it hard to say no. Regardless of it probably being a smaller draw than Marvel, a well done DC land will suit UO better than an outdated Marvel land that they aren't allowed to improve. Especially with Disney's large cheque to go with it.

My guess it that UO has it's hands tied as to what they could do to improve their Marvel area. The biggest thing they have with the Marvel contract is probably keeping it from Disney. Disney must be finally throwing a number at them that makes it hard to say no. Regardless of it probably being a smaller draw than Marvel, a well done DC land will suit UO better than an outdated Marvel land that they aren't allowed to improve. Especially with Disney's large cheque to go with it.
Universal can improve their marvel areas though. Look what they did with hulk for example.

Universal can improve their marvel areas though. Look what they did with hulk for example.

They are actually contractually obligated to keep up the properties that they have represented in their parks.
If it's determined that any property is no longer representative of the quality that Marvel deems necessary, Universal then loses that property to Disney.

Its all long term play. Comcast can't develop Marvel. They can't buy Marvel. They can only use Marvel. What happens when Disney puts Marvel in California?

But what happens if Comcast sells Marvel rights back to Disney? Say for $1 billion PLUS cost to retheme rides? Then turns around and buys either WB/DC or global rights to DC characters? Now they can develop and build and go into Hollywood and internationally in the parks. They can grow their business. And let's say you work the deals in such a way that you do all this for a small net gain or flat.

That's the goal. When Comcast can replace Marvel in its parks with a roughly comparable IP that it controls without conflict for no $$ - the deal will be done.

Ok, another question. Could it be the rumor is slightly off and they are doing this for their Hollywood park to combat the Disneyland expansions (honestly I'm just spitballing random thoughts at this point since most here have a lot more knowledge/insight)?

They are actually contractually obligated to keep up the properties that they have represented in their parks.
If it's determined that any property is no longer representative of the quality that Marvel deems necessary, Universal then loses that property to Disney.
Yes but Hulk wasn't in that bad of shape from what I'm aware. I'd argue universal went above and beyond what they had to.

Not sure I see that as an improvement. It was a much needed rehab on a ride that was showing it's age. Same as the rehab on Spiderman a few years ago.
They literally rebuilt the whole thing. From everything I've heard they didn't need to go that far.

Ok, another question. Could it be the rumor is slightly off and they are doing this for their Hollywood park to combat the Disneyland expansions (honestly I'm just spitballing random thoughts at this point since most here have a lot more knowledge/insight)?
They don't have any marvel in their Hollywood park nor can they. The rumor that was given to me specifically states marvel in IOA would be changed over to DC and then Disney would get the marvel rights.

Its all long term play. Comcast can't develop Marvel. They can't buy Marvel. They can only use Marvel. What happens when Disney puts Marvel in California?

But what happens if Comcast sells Marvel rights back to Disney? Say for $1 billion PLUS cost to retheme rides? Then turns around and buys either WB/DC or global rights to DC characters? Now they can develop and build and go into Hollywood and internationally in the parks. They can grow their business. And let's say you work the deals in such a way that you do all this for a small net gain or flat.

That's the goal. When Comcast can replace Marvel in its parks with a roughly comparable IP that it controls without conflict for no $$ - the deal will be done.
Which is exactly why this deal is possible however I don't know when the specific expiration date is for DC at six flags or if there is one. You have 3 theme park companies in play here now. Two Giants and their little brother.

Rumor

I cannot name a source here but I assure you it isn't Jim Hill. According to the source Universal is eyeing up DC rights from Six flags when the contract for them ends (I don't know a specific date for this), and then would rethemed their marvel attractions to DC working a deal with Disney to give them marvel rights. There have been plenty of rumors regarding Disney possibly getting the rights.

Interesting - and makes a lot of sense and would simplify things even if it costs Disney some money

There are a lot of DC themed rides at 6 Flags including some new ones but they could probably be returned fairly easily

Spider-Man themed to Batman would be pretty cool

They literally rebuilt the whole thing. From everything I've heard they didn't need to go that far.

The ride became very rough over the last couple years and the track did need to be replaced. I haven't been on the new version yet, but it's supposedly very smooth and a huge improvement. They didn't need to rebuild the key and launch area I guess, but might as well while the whole thing is gutted.

The real question is do they have the power to make a brand new state of the art attraction if they want to? Or just maintain what they have?

At any rate, I hope this rumor comes true as it will create a lot of fantastic attractions at both places!

The ride became very rough over the last couple years and the track did need to be replaced. I haven't been on the new version yet, but it's supposedly very smooth and a huge improvement. They didn't need to rebuild the key and launch area I guess, but might as well while the whole thing is gutted.

The real question is do they have the power to make a brand new state of the art attraction if they want to? Or just maintain what they have?

At any rate, I hope this rumor comes true as it will create a lot of fantastic attractions at both places!
From what I understand Universal was at one point working on an Avengers ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter