News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough but how many gondola systems of the sort without are located in a climate like central Florida?

Maybe I'm off-base but it seems nuts to me. After riding the Dsneyland monorail in that much more mild climate, which is also not A/C'ed but has open windows for ventilation, it can get awfully sticky in those cars.

Doppelmayr, the manufacturer of the gondolas, has installed almost 15,000 ropeways in 95 countries across six continents. Some of those installations are in sub-tropical climates similar to Central Florida. Air-conditioning (or lack thereof) isn't a new concern for the company.

Doppelmayr Facts and Figures: https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/the-group/facts-and-figures/

Think of it this way: This project will be one of Doppelmayr's highest profile installations. Both Doppelmayr and Disney want this to be a success. I guarantee that the air-conditioning issue was discussed ad nauseam prior to the start of construction.

To avoid going down the rabbit hole associated with Disney Skyliner questions on this thread, please check out the dedicated thread for the gondolas and ask any additional questions over there.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...-system-read-post-1-updated-10-12-18.3578988/

With all the building of new resorts and rooms, I sure hope Disney has a 5th gate that they’re in the planning stages of behind the scenes.

I think there's no need for a fifth gate. I think they need to continue expanding capacity in their existing parks, though, which is what they've been doing and have to hopefully continue doing after Star Wars, Ratattoullie and Guardians, and Tron. (And yes there's the argument that guardians replaced a high capacity existing ride, but a high capacity ride no one rides on is not a high capacity ride....guardians to me expands capacity by taking a ride no one rides and exchanging it for what is likely to be a popular ride.

I think there's no need for a fifth gate. I think they need to continue expanding capacity in their existing parks, though, which is what they've been doing
Exactly this! Why build a whole new park when there is so much room for expansion in the existing parks? A whole new park would have the added burden of new infrastructure (parking lots, roads, entrance plaza, utilities, etc) built from scratch whereas the existing parks already have those in place.

I think there's no need for a fifth gate. I think they need to continue expanding capacity in their existing parks, though, which is what they've been doing and have to hopefully continue doing after Star Wars, Ratattoullie and Guardians, and Tron. (And yes there's the argument that guardians replaced a high capacity existing ride, but a high capacity ride no one rides on is not a high capacity ride....guardians to me expands capacity by taking a ride no one rides and exchanging it for what is likely to be a popular ride.

Exactly this! Why build a whole new park when there is so much room for expansion in the existing parks? A whole new park would have the added burden of new infrastructure (parking lots, roads, entrance plaza, utilities, etc) built from scratch whereas the existing parks already have those in place.

These are all great points as long as the current parks can handle the crowds. After being in both the MK and Epcot on days when we were shuffling through crowds because it was difficult to walk, it has me wondering if the current parks can continue to spread out the crowds enough to make touring enjoyable? If they can, great! If not then a 5th gate could be the answer, especially given the loooong time range it would require to build it.

These are all great points as long as the current parks can handle the crowds. After being in both the MK and Epcot on days when we were shuffling through crowds because it was difficult to walk, it has me wondering if the current parks can continue to spread out the crowds enough to make touring enjoyable? If they can, great! If not then a 5th gate could be the answer, especially given the loooong time range it would require to build it.
IMO a 5th cannabilizes the other parks. People only have so much time as it is. You add another park and people are spending less time at the other 4. I almost feel 4 is the perfect number. Less than that and there is still room for expansion. More than 4 and you could have some issues. Also if a recession happens (which it’s bound to happen eventually as it always does) people won’t be coming in droves to WDW.

IMO a 5th cannabilizes the other parks. People only have so much time as it is. You add another park and people are spending less time at the other 4. I almost feel 4 is the perfect number. Less than that and there is still room for expansion. More than 4 and you could have some issues. Also if a recession happens (which it’s bound to happen eventually as it always does) people won’t be coming in droves to WDW.

And while I think Galaxy’s Edge will be the real test for this - to date other expansions haven’t done much to reduce crowds at Magic Kingdom .... so unless the 5th Park is another Magic Kingdom I think that park still stays overcrowded

I think there's no need for a fifth gate. I think they need to continue expanding capacity in their existing parks

As has been discussed here, Disney is effectively "expanding capacity" of the parks by increasing the number of separately ticketed morning and evening events. They are gradually "doubling" their capacity by reducing regular hours and getting a second set of people to pay to enter the parks each day. Of course, there is some overlap between those who pay for admission during regular hours and those who pay for admission to a separate event. But whatever the numbers actually are, it is clear they are getting more people into the same number of parks on many days without needing to increase their physical size or number of attractions. The days of a visit from park opening until midnight or 1:00 a.m. on one admission are largely gone.

Not sure if we still do the “This day in Disney history” thing but I would propose to include that Mary Blair was born on this date, October 21st, in McAlester Oklahoma in 1911.

Wow! I guess some good things do come out of Oklahoma! I guess they have to leave though. I'm originally from Oklahoma and didn't know she was from there.

With all the building of new resorts and rooms, I sure hope Disney has a 5th gate that they’re in the planning stages of behind the scenes.

Personally, I don't see on-site lodging creating any additional theme park guests. If anything, it will pull a few hundred people from off-site lodging back on-site. But, those are people that were probably going to be visiting the theme park anyway.

Personally, I don't see on-site lodging creating any additional theme park guests. If anything, it will pull a few hundred people from off-site lodging back on-site. But, those are people that were probably going to be visiting the theme park anyway.
I’m also hoping that when those new resorts open 60 day fp will move back to only onsite stays. Otherwise that would be a lot more people fighting for fp at 60 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter