News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious to what this "all new magic that has been added" is. Looking forward to the new look.
While I liked the old store's sculptures in the ceiling, the store as a whole was a bit crowded and didn't flow well. Once they got rid of the 'themed' rooms (a room for housewares, a room for jewelery, etc.) the room concept in there just made it hard to get around (and easy to lose sight of your kids).

I am curious to what this "all new magic that has been added" is. Looking forward to the new look.
While I liked the old store's sculptures in the ceiling, the store as a whole was a bit crowded and didn't flow well. Once they got rid of the 'themed' rooms (a room for housewares, a room for jewelery, etc.) the room concept in there just made it hard to get around (and easy to lose sight of your kids).
It’s themed to an old bus depot now as part of Disney springs. It has inspiration from Disney animators and has wall projections.

It’s themed to an old bus depot now as part of Disney springs. It has inspiration from Disney animators and has wall projections.
I really like how Disney Springs stores/restaurants are old part of this old "fictional" town. Is there anywhere (on-site) that explains the "history" of this old town?

Any rumors on Disney requiring Lego Store and T-Rex to fit into that theme/ They technically aren't part of the "Town Center" area, but since World of Disney now has Disney Springs architecture, I wonder how much it will spread into the Marketplace.

I can't ever see the West Side changing to that quaint architecture (thanks to the gigantic (some may say ugly) NBA Experience)

I really like how Disney Springs stores/restaurants are old part of this old "fictional" town. Is there anywhere (on-site) that explains the "history" of this old town?

Any rumors on Disney requiring Lego Store and T-Rex to fit into that theme/ They technically aren't part of the "Town Center" area, but since World of Disney now has Disney Springs architecture, I wonder how much it will spread into the Marketplace.

I can't ever see the West Side changing to that quaint architecture (thanks to the gigantic (some may say ugly) NBA Experience)
Lego got a paint job to fit in better.

Wow.

So is this the future? Instead of refurbing/replacing a dated and unpopular attraction (unpopular because it is .. well .. dated), they just cut the hours on it or (like they did with Stitch and Planet Watch)?

So between this and Pizza Rizzos, just shut down Muppets Courtyard. I mean .. I get it .. until SWGE opens not many people will probably even GO to that dead-end corner of the park. (The only reason I will on my next trip is to check out the Grand Avenue entrance to Galaxy's Edge to peek at the construction). But cutting an attractions hours? I get not running a snack shop or something during slow times .. but an entire attraction opens late and closes 3 hours early? eesh.

This in a park that (despite TSL) is still VERY light on attractions.

What's next?

this is depressing regarding Muppet-vision 3-D... I think I bought the only muppets t-shirt in the gift shop there this past July, thankfully before they take those away too..

The Muppets deserve more love, thankfully they have the liberty square show still (which I also love, give me more muppets please).

this is depressing regarding Muppet-vision 3-D... I think I bought the only muppets t-shirt in the gift shop there this past July, thankfully before they take those away too..

The Muppets deserve more love, thankfully they have the liberty square show still (which I also love, give me more muppets please).
My kids (4 & 6) are looking forward to Muppets when we go in Jan so hopefully we can still make time for it. I was hoping the muppets would get more love now that Muppet babies are huge with my kids but seems like it’s the opposite.

I'm really glad the rebooted Muppet babies seems to be doing well, hopefully this young generation will grow up to love the muppets too (like I did with the original Muppet babies and the Muppet Show). Hopefully Disney takes note as well.

Wow.

So is this the future? Instead of refurbing/replacing a dated and unpopular attraction (unpopular because it is .. well .. dated), they just cut the hours on it or (like they did with Stitch and Planet Watch)?

So between this and Pizza Rizzos, just shut down Muppets Courtyard. I mean .. I get it .. until SWGE opens not many people will probably even GO to that dead-end corner of the park. (The only reason I will on my next trip is to check out the Grand Avenue entrance to Galaxy's Edge to peek at the construction). But cutting an attractions hours? I get not running a snack shop or something during slow times .. but an entire attraction opens late and closes 3 hours early? eesh.

This in a park that (despite TSL) is still VERY light on attractions.

What's next?

But even then - these attractions can count how many people pass through, and it obviously isn't even enough to warrant not only the staffing the attraction requires but all the associated overhead costs.

This is more of an indictment of the current interest in aged Muppets attraction than the lack of "attractions" currently at DHS.

If nobody is going, why should they keep throwing good money after bad on it?

But even then - these attractions can count how many people pass through, and it obviously isn't even enough to warrant not only the staffing the attraction requires but all the associated overhead costs.

This is more of an indictment of the current interest in aged Muppets attraction than the lack of "attractions" currently at DHS.

If nobody is going, why should they keep throwing good money after bad on it?
True although I still believe Toy Story hasn't raised crowds at DHS much just spread out the crowds. I believe the masses are holding out for Star Wars and construction being complete.

I'll add this - in defense of Disney - the labor force in the greater Orlando area is not large enough to support the staffing needs of Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, LegoLand, all the hotels and restaurants ... and that doesn't even touch what's needed for the convention center and its peripherals. There just isn't, especially at the minimum-wage level pay-grade that these tourism entities offer.

Sure, we'd all love to work for Disney because of the "perks" and "we get to work at Disney!", but you still have to make a living wage and that's hard to do with how they pay employees. Disney supplants their staffing deficit with College Program - which they've been doing moreso than normal and has definitely caused a drop-off in customer service and knowledge/experience. You just have to look at the constant bonuses for in-need positions (housekeeping, custodial, line cook, transportation) to see that they're desperate for long-term qualified employees in these areas.

People are complaining over reduced hours of rides that clearly NOBODY goes on (Muppets, Figment, Pixar Shorts, Seas, etc.) or seasonal operation of restaurants that NOBODY goes to (PizzaRizzo) - but it's either take the hours piecemeal and reallocate the workforce to keep the parks running at expected hours or you go to every park being open 10-6 regardless of day of week or season of the year. Fireworks, night shows and parades only on the weekends. Drastic measures to accommodate staffing availability like that.

Disney got away with using cheap labor (ie. CP) for so long, and now they're having to pay the price in standards drop-offs and now they're losing qualified service-industry people to places outside the resort where they are able to make money instead of losing tips and tables for people just coming in for a cupcake at what should've been a $150-plus meal for that server.

I think people need to prepare themselves for more of this once Star Wars Land opens - not only the people that need to be available for the new offerings, but also to run PAC and other operations-sided roles to help with people waiting to get in to Star Wars Land, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter