News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

#journalism

Standards just don't seem to be what they once were across so many outlets. Pet peeve of mine.

Anything that runs online is generated through a pagination system that prepares it for print. The reason the same grafs were repeated - once bulleted, twice as grafs - were likely because the copy editor working the story in the pagination system left it in editing notes and the OS didn't/doesn't have an active online editor to check body copy of every single story that's posted ... once it passes through the pagination system and is ready for print (that includes headlines, photo caps, etc.), it should auto-post to the website based on tags and meta-data.

Spare me the handwringing about "standards" - I'm sure the Orlando Sentinel would love to have you take a tour of their minuscule newsroom to show you what they're having to work with to produce the amount of local content that they DO produce on an hourly basis. It's called The Way It Is - people don't buy print editions any longer and ad sales won't/can't sell digital ads because there is no market for them for buyers and no commission for them as salespeople.

I think the quality has gone down because of the pay and poor treatment. I looked in journalism as a major and even took some classes.

I'm a journalism major, okay sports journalism major and currently work in the field, but same principles apply. Quality has gone down because we live in the social media age where you need to be the first one to report news, even if it is wrong. Nobody fact checks anything anymore and just wants to get it out there.

And yes, the pay and hours do suck. You don't need to fact check that.

I'm a journalism major, okay sports journalism major and currently work in the field, but same principles apply. Quality has gone down because we live in the social media age where you need to be the first one to report news, even if it is wrong. Nobody fact checks anything anymore and just wants to get it out there.

And yes, the pay and hours do suck. You don't need to fact check that.

I was a sports journalist (print and digital) for over a decade and my significant other still works in the industry - and you're TOTALLY right.

Also add in the level of fake accounts and bloggers that people take as gospel because they interact more on social platforms than your typical journalist, or because they offer more opinion and analysis than fact-finding ... that's another reason why newspapers weren't able to sustain and evolve.

News

Just announced on the Disney Parks Live Stream, Paint the Night and Pixar Play Parade will run past the end of Pixar Fest in September.

Ignore the rest...Hook is terrible.
I kind of have to agree. When you look at the star power that movie had with who was in it(Robin Williams, Julia Roberts and Dustin Hoffman) it should have been sooooo much more. It wasn't terrible IMO, but it wasn't nearly as good as it could have been.

However, to me I am not quite ready to put Christopher Robins in that same category. I will go see it, and then make that determination, but it just seems a much warmer more fun type of movie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter