• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even go to movies, so I have no dog in this hunt. That said, it seems silly to think that the experience of watching something on a big screen TV (which is measured in inches) is anything like watching something on a movie screen (which is measured in feet).

A direct comparison in both measurements (rounded for simplicity):
  • TV 57x35 inches vs Movie 360x960 inches
  • TV 3x5 feet vs Movie 30x80 feet

Yeah. Size matters, but so does perspective. I can't sit in the first 10 rows, I don't like sitting in the last 10. My couch is better than either of those options. Decent tv, decent sound, better popcorn. Not having people sitting on top of me driving me nuts. It's a tradeoff, but one I'm increasingly happy to make. Really the only movies I see in theaters anymore are the big special effects ones. Nothing else is worthwhile.

Last edited:
Feels like this will make the Hub a nightmare. Those parties inside of parties are going to be a big deal now.

It sounds like it's another castle projection show, so it wouldn't be much different than any other MNSSHP night - maybe a slight increase in people wanting to see the "new shiny", but we've gone the last few years and never missed the fireworks even though the show was exactly the same.

I'm with those that far prefer the home viewing experience over the theater. I went to the theater a lot more last year (probably more trips that year than I've done in the previous 10 combined) because we picked up a moviepass subscription before it crumbled away to useless. And everything about the trips reminded me of why I just prefer to watch at home. I'll probably wait for Endgame too (I'm far more the casual Marvel fan than being a serious fan). I've got a good quality tv, 5.1.2 sound system, and no annoying idiots around me. My only real complaint these days is that half the 4k movie releases aren't really 4k releases, but based on a 2k transfer.

And of course I can buy the movie for about what it costs just for the tickets at the theater, and quite honestly, we have pretty reasonable prices around here compared to what I've seen for some people.

I love going to the theater. Maybe it was because I worked in them during high school and college and I got addicted.

Have to agree with previous posters, if you have an Alamo Drafthouse in your area go there. They will throw people out. That's actually their claim to fame.

I also still have movie pass, and I pay ... Is it $15 a month I think? So far we've seen about 6 movies this month so it's worth it. The cost isn't that high for us to see movies.

In my area, I know the theaters around here. The AMC seems to get the most disrespectful people so I don't go there.

Luckily we have a B&B in the country where I haven't had many problems. So I go there.

My funniest 'people are rude in the theater story's is from force awakens. Saw it at the el cap in Hollywood. People behind me had been talking the whole time, finally I turned around and told them to shut it. Right after I did the huge guy next to me turned around and was like yeah.

Seriously, huge guy?? You're huge and I'm little but I had to say something first? Thanks.

I don't even go to movies, so I have no dog in this hunt. That said, it seems silly to think that the experience of watching something on a big screen TV (which is measured in inches) is anything like watching something on a movie screen (which is measured in feet).

This is true, however the picture quality and definition on my TV provides a better picture and my sound system sounds better the most theater's. Not better than the Dolby of special AVX/ETX ones, but better than the regular theater's.

We have a VIP theater here. It's has 3 theaters on a separate floor with a separate entrance. It's attached to a very nice lounge and is a dine in set-up.. You have to have a movie ticket and be of drinking age to get in. The tickets are $10 more than a regular theater. It tends to keep the riff raff out. Not many people are willing to spend $100-$150 for 2 people to go to a movie and ruin the experience. The staff would most likely handle any of that. I've only witnessed bad behavior in these theater's once.

We had a great crowd last night.

Marvel saving Disney's bacon again.

With John Lasseter gone it appears Kevin Feige is DEFINITELY Disney's MVP when it comes to their film division.
Marvel has been huge for Disney for the last 10 years. Every year it just gets bigger. Disney has potential to break their own box office record this year. Captain Marvel made $1 billion worldwide already this year. This will make probably $2+ when all is said and done. Aladdin is next, then Toy Story 4, Lion King, Spider-Man, Frozen 2, and then of course Star Wars.

I stopped reading when I saw "sound bar." I've got a nice home theater audio system, and it still doesn't hold a candle to a normal theater, much less one of the new "Dolby" theaters at AMC or an IMAX.

I think it would be perfect for Disney to take their more adult content (that htye have from Touchstone and from the FOX merger and have that on Hulu (and maybe make new series, etc.) and keep it separate but then offer that bundle for people who want it all, but for those that just want "Disney" to be able to just get Disney+

As long as there is universal search between them

So funny story - one of our local high school principals sent out a letter to parents telling them to tell their students to not spoil Endgame! :rotfl:

https://comicbook.com/marvel/amp/20...rs-warning-letter-georgia-lanier-high-school/

I saw LeSean McCoy who is a player in the NFL that a lot of people on twitter follow has been tweeting out spoilers - and if you know that he will be doing that and click on his profile to "unfollow" him you get spoiled anyway as he updated his profile to include the spoiler right in it

just seems like a jerk move and not funny

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter