• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even go to movies, so I have no dog in this hunt. That said, it seems silly to think that the experience of watching something on a big screen TV (which is measured in inches) is anything like watching something on a movie screen (which is measured in feet).

A direct comparison in both measurements (rounded for simplicity):
  • TV 57x35 inches vs Movie 360x960 inches
  • TV 3x5 feet vs Movie 30x80 feet
Without accounting for the viewer's distance from the screen, comparing those dimensions is meaningless.

I saw LeSean McCoy who is a player in the NFL that a lot of people on twitter follow has been tweeting out spoilers - and if you know that he will be doing that and click on his profile to "unfollow" him you get spoiled anyway as he updated his profile to include the spoiler right in it

just seems like a jerk move and not funny

I don't even watch any of these movies but this makes me so mad! What a jerk.

Without accounting for the viewer's distance from the screen, comparing those dimensions is meaningless.

This is true, but based on the comparison he gave, the distance works out to something like 750 feet to make the movie screen the same size as the tv screen at 5 feet.

Yeah. Size matters, but so does perspective. I can't sit in the first 10 rows, I don't like sitting in the last 10. My couch is better than either of those options. Decent tv, decent sound, better popcorn. Not having people sitting on top of me driving me nuts. It's a tradeoff, but one I'm increasingly happy to make. Really the only movies I see in theaters anymore are the big special effects ones. Nothing else is worthwhile.

Were set for tomorrow can't wait.

Really the only theater we go to is an XDX 4K with 50,000 watts of Dolby.

They just replaced all of these seats below with climate controlled ones, but gives an idea of how much more room you get.

They also leave room to walk down the isles even fully reclined.

enhance

enhance

No spoilers here - I haven't seen it yet - but boy Marvel did such a brilliant job with building to this - to bring this many people to want to go to the opening of a movie to avoid finding out what happens and just the culmination of 10 years with Infinity War only building the hype to this one. So many places where this could've gone wrong for them and it's all fallen into place. Just amazing. My biggest worry is that they are going to chase after something like this again, but sooner. Try to build too fast. Oh well, enjoy what it is today.

No spoilers here - I haven't seen it yet - but boy Marvel did such a brilliant job with building to this - to bring this many people to want to go to the opening of a movie to avoid finding out what happens and just the culmination of 10 years with Infinity War only building the hype to this one. So many places where this could've gone wrong for them and it's all fallen into place. Just amazing. My biggest worry is that they are going to chase after something like this again, but sooner. Try to build too fast. Oh well, enjoy what it is today.
I don’t know about your last part. I think Feige and his team knows what a risk this was and what it took to get to this point. I think we are now in a reset period. Everyone gets a breath after 10 years. You’ll have less in terms of character introductions and development over the next year but some more development of more less impactful avengers such as Hawkeye, Falcon, and Bucky.

Marvel has been huge for Disney for the last 10 years. Every year it just gets bigger. Disney has potential to break their own box office record this year. Captain Marvel made $1 billion worldwide already this year. This will make probably $2+ when all is said and done. Aladdin is next, then Toy Story 4, Lion King, Spider-Man, Frozen 2, and then of course Star Wars.

I don't know if it's as sure-fire a slate as many think it is, with all due respect.

Aladdin could be another money-loser like Dumbo. Toy Story 4 I have a feeling will fall far below Toy Story 3's grosses and Universal's Secret Life of Pets 2 is really gonna hurt it. Spider-Man is Sony Pictures, actually. Star Wars is now a BIG question mark.

I don't know if it's as sure-fire a slate as many think it is, with all due respect.

Aladdin could be another money-loser like Dumbo. Toy Story 4 I have a feeling will fall far below Toy Story 3 and Universal's Secret Life of Pets 2 is really gonna hurt it. Spider-Man is Sony Pictures, actually. Star Wars is now a BIG question mark.
I disagree.

Aladdin seems to be tracking much better than Dumbo.

Toy Story 4 has huge anticipation. I don’t think Secret Life of Pets 2 will impact it at all. Maybe a little bit not much to make a dent. The first did fine but wasn’t a blockbuster. Why would this next one be that way?

Yes Spider-Man is Sony but Marvel isn’t exempt from it. They get something.

Star Wars I think will be just fine. The trailer was a huge hit and the buzz was incredible at Star Wars Celebration. Yes that’s the die hard group of fans but that group is the group Disney really needs to keep intact.

I disagree.

Aladdin seems to be tracking much better than Dumbo.

Toy Story 4 has huge anticipation. I don’t think Secret Life of Pets 2 will impact it at all. Maybe a little bit not much to make a dent. The first did fine but wasn’t a blockbuster. Why would this next one be that way?

Yes Spider-Man is Sony but Marvel isn’t exempt from it. They get something.

Star Wars I think will be just fine. The trailer was a huge hit and the buzz was incredible at Star Wars Celebration. Yes that’s the die hard group of fans but that group is the group Disney really needs to keep intact.

I hope you are right, but I have to take issue with Secret Life of Pets not being a "blockbuster". It made over 360 million domestically and almost 900 million worldwide....all on a 70 million budget.

I hope you are right, but I have to take issue with Secret Life of Pets not being a "blockbuster". It made over 360 million domestically and almost 900 million worldwide....all on a 70 million budget.
I suppose but it wasn’t a major movie to me like say Despicable Me. I know Despicable Me did only slightly better depending on which film you look at but there seemed to be a lot more buzz around those than Secret Life of Pets.

The Secret Life of Pets did great - but boy a very, very bland movie. I'm sure the sequel will do well. Animated movies in the summer almost always do well. I don't think Disney has to worry about Toy Story 4 being hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter