• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Christmas Holiday Dessert parties are open for booking but I am on,y seeing dates up
To November 17th. We will be arriving 12/18 and want to book for 12/19 will we need to wait til our 180 day ADR date in order to book the holiday dessert party?
Probably. Dessert parties are always a little weird with booking.

I understand where people are coming from for this. However...I don't think it should happen. If Disney caves in and does it for this Cast Member, then it opens up the idea for doing it for every CM that passes away. I haven't heard of Disney doing anything like this.
I see what you’re saying but not every CM leaves that sort of mark or impression. So no they wouldn’t have to do it for every CM. Disney does have the blue name tags to recognize special CMs who are still with us of course. I think it wouldn’t be out of the realm of some sort of wall of honor or something along those like to recognize past and current extraordinary CMs.

I understand where people are coming from for this. However...I don't think it should happen. If Disney caves in and does it for this Cast Member, then it opens up the idea for doing it for every CM that passes away. I haven't heard of Disney doing anything like this.

The windows on Main Street somewhat serve this purpose. Granted they are usually for higher profile employees of Disney, but the criteria is fairly broad.

The windows on Main Street somewhat serve this purpose. Granted they are usually for higher profile employees of Disney, but the criteria is fairly broad.
Ok yeah. It’s early and my brain didn’t think of the windows. However, the windows are usually given to Cast Members of higher rolls that left a stamp on the company. I’m unaware of a frontline CM having a window.

I see what you’re saying but not every CM leaves that sort of mark or impression. So no they wouldn’t have to do it for every CM. Disney does have the blue name tags to recognize special CMs who are still with us of course. I think it wouldn’t be out of the realm of some sort of wall of honor or something along those like to recognize past and current extraordinary CMs.
Did he have a blue name tag? Maybe I’m just assuming in my mind that he did. (Then I read the article and saw he did). If Disney was to do something to honor exceptional frontline CM’s that have passed, I think doing it in one spot would be better than only honoring one here and there.

Ok yeah. It’s early and my brain didn’t think of the windows. However, the windows are usually given to Cast Members of higher rolls that left a stamp on the company. I’m unaware of a frontline CM having a window.

Did he have a blue name tag? Maybe I’m just assuming in my mind that he did. (Then I read the article and saw he did). If Disney was to do something to honor exceptional frontline CM’s that have passed, I think doing it in one spot would be better than only honoring one here and there.
Yeah I would think one spot whether it’s on Main Street somewhere or inside City Hall or just outside the MK gates. They could have one spot for a small “wall of fame” of sorts for CMs. Someone like the now passed Mayor Weaver of Main Street could also go on that.

I think what the Pettition is asking for specifically is some sort of honor or remembrance paid to him at GF, I think a statue might be to much, but a plaque or something near the entrance speaks to him still being there in spirit greeting the guests. Now I dont think Disney will do it because Disney is very much all about renewal of space and such, and having a plaque is like having a stone in the ground at the MK entrance in the since that when Disney has to renovate it becomes something that needs to be removed.

Honestly I can understand the sentiment and but Disney doesnt have a track record of respecting any sort of sentiment in the parks.

I think what the Pettition is asking for specifically is some sort of honor or remembrance paid to him at GF, I think a statue might be to much, but a plaque or something near the entrance speaks to him still being there in spirit greeting the guests. Now I dont think Disney will do it because Disney is very much all about renewal of space and such, and having a plaque is like having a stone in the ground at the MK entrance in the since that when Disney has to renovate it becomes something that needs to be removed.

Honestly I can understand the sentiment and but Disney doesnt have a track record of respecting any sort of sentiment in the parks.

Yeah, definitely looking for something at the GF ... maybe they could do like a Main St Window, but in one of the front windows of the GF

He is just so associated with that specific location I think it would be nice to do something for him

Video

Naomi Scott - Speechless (Full) (From "Aladdin"/Official Video)

This is the new song that can be heard in the live-action Aladdin that comes out today. Be warned that there is "some spoilers" in terms of special effects during the film in this video.

I actually really like this new song a lot! I just wish Disney would have taken some songs from the Broadway Musical and put them into this movie.

I just don't really get it. I've worked a bunch of places, and the only employee memorial I've ever seen was for people lost during 9/11. My current company has a scholarship named after an employee, but that's because the family put up the seed money. It's just not really something that is all that prevalent. Disney can do what they want, of course, and people can ask for what they want, but it's just not something you see companies generally do for good employees, even long term good employees. You recognize their contributions when they retire and thank them for their years of hard work and move on. It's work, not community service. You were paid for your efforts. Even the lighthouse associated with the poor child killed by the alligator is not actually a memorial for the child, but a symbol for the foundation that was formed after.

Maybe I'm just too jaded...

I just wish Disney would have taken some songs from the Broadway Musical and put them into this movie.
There are some awesome songs from the Broadway show that would have been fun in the film. I felt the same way about Beauty and the Beast. "If I Can't Love Her" is incredible and I really hoped it would be in the film, although "Evermore" is pretty great too.

I just don't really get it. I've worked a bunch of places, and the only employee memorial I've ever seen was for people lost during 9/11. My current company has a scholarship named after an employee, but that's because the family put up the seed money. It's just not really something that is all that prevalent. Disney can do what they want, of course, and people can ask for what they want, but it's just not something you see companies generally do for good employees, even long term good employees. You recognize their contributions when they retire and thank them for their years of hard work and move on. It's work, not community service. You were paid for your efforts. Even the lighthouse associated with the poor child killed by the alligator is not actually a memorial for the child, but a symbol for the foundation that was formed after.

I agree with everything you said. The one difference is that Disney sells Memories and as such some people develop a much more warmer attachment to a place, memories and people and Disney sells and benefits from those attachments. I dont know about you but most companies dont try to create and foster those type of feelings like Disney does from there Customers. This is why some guests have started the petition. In saying that, I agree that the chances of it happening are pretty small because although Disney wants its image to be different then any other corporation, the bottom line is Disney is like every other corporation and doing this has no upside for them, there isnt enough publicity to benefit from it and I dont think the majority of Cast Members/ College Students have a opinion on it. So why would Disney spend the money?

I think companies will do things in the names of people who have contributed a lot to the company and what the company stands for

I know at our firm an employee passed away and he was involved in a lot of the philanthropy efforts within our company - and we have an area dedicated to the various philanthropy things we do and they named that area (called it "Nick's Place") in honor of him. It wasn't sponsored by any foundation or anything, it was 100% done by the company and any signage, etc. paid for by my company

So I see this similar to that - this employee represented the company well and is associated with something specific and a positive message and they want to honor that and provide a symbol that people can remember him from - and new guests can learn about him

I think companies will do things in the names of people who have contributed a lot to the company and what the company stands for

I know at our firm an employee passed away and he was involved in a lot of the philanthropy efforts within our company - and we have an area dedicated to the various philanthropy things we do and they named that area (called it "Nick's Place") in honor of him. It wasn't sponsored by any foundation or anything, it was 100% done by the company and any signage, etc. paid for by my company

So I see this similar to that - this employee represented the company well and is associated with something specific and a positive message and they want to honor that and provide a symbol that people can remember him from - and new guests can learn about him
Yeah I think it varies too. The Main Street window part mentioned in above posts I think it good actually.

My aunt just retired after I believe it was 43 years in teaching. Her school that she taught at (and I don't remember how long she taught there TBH) just renamed the circle drive within the school grounds after her which was a very touching gesture and completely unexpected for her. There's a cost involved in renaming streets but I don't know how much it is in that city so that was either paid for privately or they got school district funds to do so.

But I wouldn't expect that kind of stuff everywhere. I do understand though the sentiment of concern in picking and choosing people as some people have dedicated their lives to a company but maybe haven't been as visible as others so in that respects it can get dicey at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter