News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m with you here. I guess I’m getting older and feeling more nostalgic about the place but for some reason I’ll miss that sign.
Didn’t they recently do the same thing with the Adventureland sign or was that DLR? Regardless the new sign looked similar enough to the old so it didn’t really change the impact. Hopefully they will incorporate some of the old look into the new version.

Didn’t they recently do the same thing with the Adventureland sign or was that DLR? Regardless the new sign looked similar enough to the old so it didn’t really change the impact. Hopefully they will incorporate some of the old look into the new version.

that was at Disneyland as part of Project Stardust(?) which is around opening up paths, etc. - specifically the Adventurland entrance path was widdened

I agree that the replacement sign wasn't drastically different and I suspect similar here

the dining plan has absolutely hurt the quality of restaurants on property. This being a 1 is a red flag. That said super excited to try and reservations are made for august

Someone else posted it's one credit due to being a moderate resort and the fact it's out of the way for people to get to. I agree with that.

I highly doubt it's because the quality is bad due to the dining plan.

This is a weird one where I'm gonna be nostalgic and miss the old. I kinda loved the weird campy "future" aesthetic. That said, it's definitely the right move, it probably looks ridiculous to the younger generation.

I mean...so? It was always kind of ridiculous. That's the whole "retro-futurism" thing. Disney does that brilliantly, and Tomorrowland especially is the place for it!

I'm pretty gutted. I just loved the feel you got the minute you stepped on the bridge. I love retro-futurism. Glad I got to take my bff (who would probably marry the concept of retro-futurism if it were possible) this past year before it was gone.

I hope they don't go too streamlined and sleek. The problem with trying to make something look truly "futuristic" is that within a few years (used to be a decade at least, but these days design moves fast) it just looks cheesy and dated. That's the whole reason the kind of goofy look of Tomorrowland works--it's not actually trying to look like a real future, but an imagined one.

`
think this is probably true, and I totally agree, some of my favorite restaurants on property command “one dining credit” (I’ve never bothered with the dining plan, why pre-pay for food imo? But I’m a 29 year old guy without a family, not about to get suckered into that nonsense).

Sorry to be critical to those that enjoy it, it’s just so easy to do the math with the room only discounts and realize it’s a mediocre at best deal (I’d say bad deal but please dining plan evangelists, spare me).

And thanks a lot maxrebo for your always thoughtful responses.

Bring on the dining plan baby!!! We're 45, no kids and we can't wait to use the dining plan next year because it includes booze now! Almost impossible not to come out ahead if you get a drink with your quick service. And snack credits at flower/garden?

Win all around. :p

I mean...so? It was always kind of ridiculous. That's the whole "retro-futurism" thing. Disney does that brilliantly, and Tomorrowland especially is the place for it!

I'm pretty gutted. I just loved the feel you got the minute you stepped on the bridge. I love retro-futurism. Glad I got to take my bff (who would probably marry the concept of retro-futurism if it were possible) this past year before it was gone.

I hope they don't go too streamlined and sleek. The problem with trying to make something look truly "futuristic" is that within a few years (used to be a decade at least, but these days design moves fast) it just looks cheesy and dated. That's the whole reason the kind of goofy look of Tomorrowland works--it's not actually trying to look like a real future, but an imagined one.

Agree 10,000%.

And yeah...who cares if it looks ridiculous to younger generations? It looked ridiculous back in the 80s/90s when I was the younger generation! That's the charm of it!:rotfl:

I just saw this come up on my Google News field. The article is obviously biased and has nothing new to us in it, but I thought it was interesting to see a non-Disney bubble take on SW:GE.

https://cosmicbook.news/disney-star-wars-backlash-galaxys-edge

I...I think I envy your bubble.

Because I've been seeing this kind of screeching vitriol for a while now. I didn't like TLJ, but there are folks now, literally two years later, who are still frothing with rage about how DISNEY IS DESTROYING STAR WARS BECAUSE SJWs etc, and they start bleeding over into the rest of the Star Wars thing. I've seen oodles of that crowd on twitter crowing about how GE is a failure and it serves Disney right for "neglecting the true fans" or whatever.

I'd much rather stay in a Disney bubble. Or at least avoid folks like that altogether.

Yes yes YES. I guess I am getting old. I feel like Disney is doing away with too much of the charm. If they do away with the Tomorrowland music loop I will be sick.

I know some things need upgrades. I accept that. I just wonder why it all seems to be going in one direction only.

PHOTOS

The Lounge looks pretty darn nice and I see two sets of beer taps, and zooming in at least a few of them appear to be non-macro brews!

The really outdid themselves with the lounges and the restaurant looks almost dreamlike!

Been home a little over a week since visiting Barcelona, and this place makes me long to return. I think they did a great job of adding in Gaudi and Catalan Modernism. I also really love the reference to Salvador Dali and Walt Disney's Destino collaboration. Dali is also Catalonian. Bummed none of the lounges or restaurants have churros con chocolate or Jamon Iberico. I'll have to hit Jaleo for the primo jamon. However, the other dishes and drinks look good. I wasn't really very interested in the hotel until I saw the pictures and menus.

News

Not Disney news, but it looks like the abandoned Six Flags New Orleans park may finally be demolished soon. It’s damage from Hurricane Katrina made it unrecoverable and it’s been sitting mostly untouched since.

. . . but there are folks now, literally two years later, who are still frothing with rage about how DISNEY IS DESTROYING STAR WARS BECAUSE SJWs etc, and they start bleeding over into the rest of the Star Wars thing. I've seen oodles of that crowd on twitter crowing about how GE is a failure and it serves Disney right for "neglecting the true fans" or whatever.

Really? Because Star Wars was so "pure" under George Lucas? Do they not remember Episodes I - III? Also, George Lucas was basically building an excuse for merchandising ("moychandising" as Mel Brooks aptly pointed out in Spaceballs). I mean, look at Spaceballs - there was a lot of truth there - Star Wars was kind of a joke for that back in the 80s.

I was kind of neutral on The Last Jedi. I thought it needed to actually slow down a bit and have some more story, there were plot holes and devices to nitpick, but it was also a very enjoyable movie.

I was also kind of oblivious at the time to all the backlash from the neanderthals and racists and the crap they pulled though. I guess it's nice being in a "not on top of things bubble sometimes.

Because I've been seeing this kind of screeching vitriol for a while now. I didn't like TLJ, but there are folks now, literally two years later, who are still frothing with rage about how DISNEY IS DESTROYING STAR WARS BECAUSE SJWs etc, and they start bleeding over into the rest of the Star Wars thing. I've seen oodles of that crowd on twitter crowing about how GE is a failure and it serves Disney right for "neglecting the true fans" or whatever.

I'd much rather stay in a Disney bubble. Or at least avoid folks like that altogether.
Probably the benefit on not being on social media and I rarely go to Reddit.

News

Not Disney news, but it looks like the abandoned Six Flags New Orleans park may finally be demolished soon. It’s damage from Hurricane Katrina made it unrecoverable and it’s been sitting mostly untouched since.
That is interesting. I followed the legal fight years ago. I assume Six Flags dumped the lease when they went through Chapter 11.

`
think this is probably true, and I totally agree, some of my favorite restaurants on property command “one dining credit” (I’ve never bothered with the dining plan, why pre-pay for food imo? But I’m a 29 year old guy without a family, not about to get suckered into that nonsense).

Sorry to be critical to those that enjoy it, it’s just so easy to do the math with the room only discounts and realize it’s a mediocre at best deal (I’d say bad deal but please dining plan evangelists, spare me).

And thanks a lot maxrebo for your always thoughtful responses.

Like every other Dining Plan discussion, the math changes when you have three kids who like character meals. No need to disparage other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter