• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Us too! Last December we saw A New Hope with our St Louis Symphony and it was an amazing experience! This January they will show The Empire Strikes Back. I just looked and November 1st John Williams will be here to conduct a concert which I assume will be full of his wonderful music. Unfortunately or rather fortunately we have tickets for Dear Evan Hansen that night!
John Williams conducts a nice selection from across his filmography and tosses in a few stories. And he only does a handful of shows a year.

I’ve never known anywhere to see movies like that in theaters but I completely agree that it would be awesome. I’d be more likely to go see older movies than new ones. I just don’t see this affecting me or most people the way people are reacting to it. The “Disney Vault” strategy is a proven failure and trying to do the same thing to other movies would be idiotic.
Most of the major theater chains show old films, frequently as a one or two night thing and it’s generally not heavily advertised. Plenty of the local independent theaters around here also are big on showing a lot of older films especially in the summer and December. The old films are almost always sold out in my experience, theaters love doing them.

Yup,for me I would wait and see .Just saying that because we have non theme parks in central Florida like master planned community’s and shopping centers that having been building for years and still not done.
We have some communities that were planned and partially built and then the Recession hit and the developer ran out of money. We have shopping centers that were planned but then the city, the developer, tax incentives, all sorts of things led to a breakdown. There was a shopping center that was stagnant with only few things built because the developer went bankrupt. Several years later a new developer bought it up and it's huge now with so many different shops and restaurants. And so on and so on.

Those are not the same though as theme parks. That isn't to say something couldn't happen to Universal during the building process but the problems there would not be the same as the problems often plaguing planned communities and shopping districts/centers.

As one who has attended theatrical showings of The Sound of Music, Singin' In The Rain, and Miracle on 34th Street (in Color, no less), I've got to say, That's The Way to See These Classics. They were shown at Regal at the time. You wouldn't believe how great they really are until you see them that way.

I have been taking my kids to see some of the old movies. I have taken them to The Dark Crystal and Gone with the Wind. There are a few others too just can't remember off the top of my head.

The only thing that beats seeing a classic film in a theater, is seeing it with a live orchestra.

Our orchestra does this in an out door theater in the summer. It used to be once a summer, over Labor Day weekend. Now they are doing them twice in the summer. We have seen all 3 original Star Wars, 1 Indiana Jones and E.T. We have missed Little Mermaid and the first Harry Potter. After the movies they also put off an awesome fireworks show. We make a whole afternoon out of it. We take dinner and snacks with us. They even allow you to bring your own alcohol. It is pretty cool to see how well the orchestra plays to the movie. You almost forget that they are playing the music.

News

Looks like Disney is putting older Fox films in the vault now. They are refusing to allow theater chains to screen older films, like Alien and Sound of Music, which can be significant earners for many theaters, especially second run and independently run theaters.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/disney-is-quietly-placing-classic-fox-movies-into-its-vault.html

I really hope they don’t lock Rocky Horror in the vault. At a theatre, yelling lines and throwing toast, is really the only true way to see it properly.

We have some communities that were planned and partially built and then the Recession hit and the developer ran out of money. We have shopping centers that were planned but then the city, the developer, tax incentives, all sorts of things led to a breakdown. There was a shopping center that was stagnant with only few things built because the developer went bankrupt. Several years later a new developer bought it up and it's huge now with so many different shops and restaurants. And so on and so on.

Those are not the same though as theme parks. That isn't to say something couldn't happen to Universal during the building process but the problems there would not be the same as the problems often plaguing planned communities and shopping districts/centers.
Yeah but imo in central Florida these days opening a whole theme park in less then 3 and half years is pushing it.This is not the 90’s anymore ,I went to Orlando in I think 97 and they where building both animal kingdom and IOA and Rock and Roll rollercoaster at that time,and Animal kingdom opened before IOA given it had a lot less rides.

I really hope they don’t lock Rocky Horror in the vault. At a theatre, yelling lines and throwing toast, is really the only true way to see it properly.
Sounds like Rocky Horror has remained unrestricted, I’m more concerned with the Christmas films now. Will they let Die Hard and Home Alone screenings go on?

NEWS

ABC embraces the season with the upcoming original holiday movie Same Time, Next Christmas, which premieres on Thursday, Dec. 5, at 9:00-11:00 p.m.

In Same Time, Next Christmas, Olivia Anderson (played by Lea Michele) is a successful young woman who met her childhood sweetheart during her family’s annual Christmas visit to Hawaii. After being separated by distance and years, the two reunite at the same Hawaiian resort years later, and the old chemistry between them flares up anew—but circumstances conspire to keep them apart.

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/new...ginal-holiday-movie-same-time-next-christmas/

NEWS

ABC embraces the season with the upcoming original holiday movie Same Time, Next Christmas, which premieres on Thursday, Dec. 5, at 9:00-11:00 p.m.

In Same Time, Next Christmas, Olivia Anderson (played by Lea Michele) is a successful young woman who met her childhood sweetheart during her family’s annual Christmas visit to Hawaii. After being separated by distance and years, the two reunite at the same Hawaiian resort years later, and the old chemistry between them flares up anew—but circumstances conspire to keep them apart.

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/new...ginal-holiday-movie-same-time-next-christmas/

Had me at Lea Michele...

Christmas merchandise has hit Mouse Gear.

90147F1B-4359-43C7-AF2D-41F8EF5DC95D.jpeg

I did see the photo pass boxes at Anna / Elsa today, but they were not operational. Hopefully they’re never turned on. I did get one for Darth Vader and it sucked.

The mid engine Corvette has not made it to Test Track. The Chevy person that I talked to next to the C7 said late February, which would put it when refurbishments are complete. Maybe she was blowing smoke, but that sounds about right to me.

Ketchup packs returned to Casey’s yesterday.

Yeah but imo in central Florida these days opening a whole theme park in less then 3 and half years is pushing it.This is not the 90’s anymore ,I went to Orlando in I think 97 and they where building both animal kingdom and IOA and Rock and Roll rollercoaster at that time,and Animal kingdom opened before IOA given it had a lot less rides.
I don't know whether it's pushing it or not but I was responding to your comment about planned communities and shopping centers still not being built. The issues those places tend to run into are not the same typically speaking theme parks would, especially an established company so I wouldn't take it as a sign that Universal can't do it just because you see a half completed planned community or shopping district. Purely my opinion of course :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter