News Round Up 2020

If that’s the case why haven’t APs taken them to court yet?
I suspect that damages would be the issue. Here, the damages would be the cost of the APs. TWDC is already offering refunds on the unused portion. Not what I consider fair. But, the cost of litigating the difference would not be profitable for most people.

I suspect that damages would be the issue. Here, the damages would be the cost of the APs. TWDC is already offering refunds on the unused portion. Not what I consider fair. But, the cost of litigating the difference would not be profitable for most people.
Genuine question. What would you like them to do or what would you think is fair?

And that there is pandemic going on and non-essential travel isn’t encouraged...

I dont know, I think the demand for travel is there more than Disney is caputring at least. Youd have to entice people to come as you are competing against plenty of local trips right now.

Refund the full cost or put them on hold until people feel comfortable to use them...or at the very least, until the restrictions of park hopping and reservations are no longer in place. There is nothing unreasonable about that.
I don’t see the need for a full refund especially if a pass has been used. Putting them on hold is fair. I do sort of think the extension is their version of that though. We also have no idea how long reservations will be needed as it sure seems this pandemic will never end at its current rate.

Genuine question. What would you like them to do or what would you think is fair?
I don't think they're asking us, frankly :-)
I think fair is to offer the following:
1) A FULL refund of your AP if you don't agree with the current environment
2) Refund of the park hopper or the water park portions if they were purchased
3) Additional 6 months on top of the days they were closed
4) If keeping the AP, show appreciation by offering a fair reservation system with penalties for "reservation abusers".

The family purchase of APs at any level is an especially large commitment. TWDC should honor that loyality by showing the same loyality to them. I've got no dog in this hunt. But, I've heard quite a bit on this board from very disappointed APs. Seems they are hurting the very fans responsible for their success.

I dont know, I think the demand for travel is there more than Disney is caputring at least. Youd have to entice people to come as you are competing against plenty of local trips right now.
Demand for travel is there to some extent but not for trips like Disney or Vegas or something. Airlines wouldn’t be laying off people if that was the case. The other big aspect is travel restrictions. People don’t want to quarantine before and/or after their trips. Local travel is big right now because it does avoid the airplane and doesn’t necessarily need to cross state lines.

I don't think they're asking us, frankly :-)
I think fair is to offer the following:
1) A FULL refund of your AP if you don't agree with the current environment
2) Refund of the park hopper or the water park portions if they were purchased
3) Additional 6 months on top of the days they were closed
4) If keeping the AP, show appreciation by offering a fair reservation system with penalties for "reservation abusers".

The family purchase of APs at any level is an especially large commitment. TWDC should honor that loyality by showing the same loyality to them. I've got no dog in this hunt. But, I've heard quite a bit on this board from very disappointed APs. Seems they are hurting the very fans responsible for their success.
All APs have parking hopping unless you have something like the Epcot pass. So that’s built in the price from the start.

If you have used your pass I still don’t see how or why a full refund is fair. An unused pass sure. Someone could be on their last day of their pass and then request a refund? Seems insane to me.

6+5 months would be an additional year basically. Another thing I don’t understand. Disney should just pay you to go at that point.

Number 4 is fair for sure. More even buckets. They already have a penalty system in place that I do think is fair though. Booking 3 days at a time outside of a hotel reservation is fair.

Disney has always treaded a fine line with APs. In Disney’s eyes they are already locked in so they’ll try to get away with the bare minimum.

I don’t see the need for a full refund especially if a pass has been used. Putting them on hold is fair. I do sort of think the extension is their version of that though. We also have no idea how long reservations will be needed as it sure seems this pandemic will never end at its current rate.

But they extended them to a month or months that many people cant go. I used my pass twice with the assumption id get heavy use out of it this spring/fall. How is it fair for me to get a refund of peanuts when I only got to use it twice? The policy they came up with needs flexibility but right now they just dont care (from all their actions) and thaylts the crux of the problem.

Disney has always treaded a fine line with APs. In Disney’s eyes they are already locked in so they’ll try to get away with the bare minimum.
^^THIS^^ is EXACTLY what the problem is. Instead of celebrating APs, they celebrate the Internet influencers by offering the "magic" they should be spinkling among all their guests. It's strategic -- and wrong. Maybe the pandemic will help them understand this. One can only hope.

But they extended them to a month or months that many people cant go. I used my pass twice with the assumption id get heavy use out of it this spring/fall. How is it fair for me to get a refund of peanuts when I only got to use it twice? The policy they came up with needs flexibility but right now they just dont care (from all their actions) and thaylts the crux of the problem.
People can go now though. It is a choice right now to go or not to go. That’s why they also offered the cancellation option. I’ve only used my pass so far for 7 days total. I would not expect a full refund. Of course that would be nice but I’m also realistic on that front.

^^THIS^^ is EXACTLY what the problem is. Instead of celebrating APs, they celebrate the Internet influencers by offering the "magic" they should be spinkling among all their guests. It's strategic -- and wrong. Maybe the pandemic will help them understand this. One can only hope.

And they bring them in to show how great and safe it all is so people will travel there.

I have a feeling they're happy DLR is closed or this would be a much bigger issue with their APs. I imagine their APs would have a much larger bucket though than resorts and off site.

Internet influencers give them free advertising that’s why. Disney has before the pandemic improved some of their AP perks. There was a time years ago where the discount wasn’t as good or not as frequent and stuff like that. I also would never say no to more perks. I didn’t buy the AP specifically for the perks though either. I bought it due to frequency of trips.

And they bring them in to show how great and safe it all is so people will travel there.

I have a feeling they're happy DLR is closed or this would be a much bigger issue with their APs. I imagine their APs would have a much larger bucket though than resorts and off site.
And they would have to because the local base is their bread and butter there. WDW and DL are different in that respect. The AP bucket would probably be the largest bucket in DL because it would have to be.

People can go now though. It is a choice right now to go or not to go. That’s why they also offered the cancellation option. I’ve only used my pass so far for 7 days total. I would not expect a full refund. Of course that would be nice but I’m also realistic on that front.

I can go now...but in order to do all 4 parks Id now have to extend my trips and get lucky with reservations, including a 4th day where I am not even guaranteed to get a reservation due to their policies...while someone off the streets who pays $100 would trump my $1000 that I paid. So why would I fly down knowing that?

Internet influencers give them free advertising that’s why. Disney has before the pandemic improved some of their AP perks. There was a time years ago where the discount wasn’t as good or not as frequent and stuff like that. I also would never say no to more perks. I didn’t buy the AP specifically for the perks though either. I bought it due to frequency of trips.

Youre paying for those perks. Disney didnt decide to give away photopass for free because they are kind people.

I can go now...but in order to do all 4 parks Id now have to extend my trips and get lucky with reservations, including a 4th day where I am not even guaranteed to get a reservation due to their policies...while someone off the streets who pays $100 would trump my $1000 that I paid. So why would I fly down knowing that?
Are you not staying onsite or in one of the good neighbor hotels? If so then you’re fine with reservations anyways.

They don’t have to give you that though. Disney could take that away and people would still pay the same price for their current pass.
True. I see people on this board begging Disney to open up AP sales again; even with all the limitations in place. There is a subset of "rabid fans" where TWDC can do no wrong. Not sure there's enough of them to keep the parks profitable though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter