News Round Up 2020

Something strange: my sister’s roommate is normally a lifeguard at a resort that’s not reopening yet, so she signed up to fill in elsewhere. A couple days ago she was told DAK attractions (Africa) but today she was told specifically Festival of the Lion King, which is not reopening as far as the public knows. Just thought I’d share

Something strange: my sister’s roommate is normally a lifeguard at a resort that’s not reopening yet, so she signed up to fill in elsewhere. A couple days ago she was told DAK attractions (Africa) but today she was told specifically Festival of the Lion King, which is not reopening as far as the public knows. Just thought I’d share

Very interesting. It’s probably becoming a rest area. Lots of theme parks are their indoor turning theatres into rest areas.

Maybe they'll be using it as a mask relaxation zone. They'd need staff for that.

I modified my July 2020 to a January 2021 reservation (YC, room only) by phone this morning. There’s no discount or price protection, but you can definitely do it.
Sorry, just to clarify. Was your 2020 reservation discounted? Were you able to keep that discount?

I have an Aug 2020 reservation with a 35% room discount on it. The website was allowing me to change the dates of that trip to Sep 2021 but when I started to do so the 35% room discount disappeared and I was going to be paying full price so I left it alone. Maybe I'll try calling to see if there is a way to keep the discount and move the reservation into 2021? As it is, I won't be able to use that reservation as I can't see the border opening given the numbers in FL and some other states at the moment.

Maybe they'll be using it as a mask relaxation zone. They'd need staff for that.
Yes, and Disney also stations CMs outside of closed attractions but I believe FoLK theatre will become a rest station.

Can confirm that per night rates for standard rooms at POP are coming in right around $200/nt right now. No room discounts in sight just yet. I checked both Feb 2021 and April 2021 (our school vacation weeks in MA).

Not sure if this has been reported or not, but found it interesting.
Copied from the CNBC website:
"Shares of Disney fell more than 4% to after its theme park workers urged to postpone the reopening amid the rise in new coronavirus cases in Florida. More than 7,200 have signed a petition asking Disney and government officials to delay the Disney World reopening next month. Disney has plans for a phased reopening of Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom on July 11, while Epcot and Hollywood Studios would reopen on July 15."
So is there a petition from Universal Studios employees? They've been open an entire month now. Have there been any major outbreaks of the virus within their guests or employees? Wouldn't that prove that the safety measures are working? (granted I doubt they have been as busy as Disney will be on its opening day)

I can't seem them reversing course now. It would be an economic disaster on top of a disaster for them. But what do I know? I never thought they'd close for 4 months either.

I didn’t have Animal Kingdom filling for a day before Magic Kingdom! I figured we’d see 20 DHS days fill before we saw anything else...

I think people are excited for potential low crowds/no virtual line for big headliners like FOP and ROTR where they could potentially have low waits and able to ride multiple times in a

Sorry, just to clarify. Was your 2020 reservation discounted? Were you able to keep that discount?

I had the Sun & Fun discount on my July 2020 booking, but the January 2021 is rack rate. The CM told me that price protection only applies if you are keeping the same dates. Move your dates at all and you lose the discount. However, since the July trip was before the border‘s current reopen date, there wasn’t any point in keeping it. At least moving it rather than cancelling let me avoid getting hit with the loss on the exchange rate.

I also have an August reservation that went from a YC GV room to a BWV std 1 bdrm, and kept my Sun & Fun discounted YC rate for that because the dates stayed the same...makes the villa about half price, so I’m good with that.

I hadn't seen this posted elsewhere but a friend of mine was called back for Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. Sounds like when they resume showings they will only be doing scene 1 (boulder scene). No for sure start date for shows. I wonder if they will start doing that for other shows as well...pare them down to smaller shows but still try to run them?

I hadn't seen this posted elsewhere but a friend of mine was called back for Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. Sounds like when they resume showings they will only be doing scene 1 (boulder scene). No for sure start date for shows. I wonder if they will start doing that for other shows as well...pare them down to smaller shows but still try to run them?
Is that because of less exposure for the actors?

Is that because of less exposure for the actors?
A number of reasons but yes, less exposure for the actors was #1. He said they considered removing the interactive portion with the guests on stage for scene 2 and just using actors but ultimately decided not to. They were worried about too many actors having to interact whereas in scene 1 that isn't so much of a problem.

Indiana Jones is outdoors with no singing. I was honestly surprised it wasn't on the initial list of offerings. I think it may be a while for a number of the other shows.

Good to hear they are moving on it.

I definitely wouldn’t want to take anyone’s picture now. I’m usually a person that gets asked multiple times a day to take peoples pictures, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable handling someone else’s phone at this time. I definitely don’t fault Disney for not wanting their employees to handle them either.
Have regular CMs for that - not the memory maker ones.
Phones are the largest germ carriers of any surface because we handle them with our germ ridden hands. It's probably loads safer for cms and us to have them not handle them.

I touch stuff others have touched all day long. As do all other people working in retail. It doesn’t bother me. I wash my hands before I touch any of my stuff, including my locker or phone. And many of the WDW cm will be too, so it just comes off as a money grab to me to not let them touch phones. I’d just wipe my phone off afterwards. Pre-covid sometimes the handler took the photos but having a third person there for photos with personal devices doesn’t make sense financially. Nothing wrong with the handler or photographer doing it.

Very interesting. It’s probably becoming a rest area. Lots of theme parks are their indoor turning theatres into rest areas.

Are indoor rest areas actually being considered? I’ve heard several locations mentioned. It doesn’t seem safe to have mask-free rest areas inside. They should be outside. Universal’s are.

I don’t see the point in running it with one scene. But hey it’d make the lines for shorter so actually...

I normally try to go with the flow, get annoyed with things, but don't normally get angry with the Disney stuff. This, however, is INFURIATING. Most of what's coming to mind right now and what I would like to say to that PR person would get me booted from the Boards probably. Don't BLEEP-ing blame BLEEP-ing us!! What the ever-loving BLEEP?!?! I expect better from Disney than to take cues from a certain governmental branch's approach to facts. All of us can say, without absolute certainty (and as told by multiple Disney employees) - the problem was in the system. Even those who were able to utilize a workaround (I was not one - there was nothing I could do - I tried all of the options - Disney IT had to fix mine) - that's not user error - that's on Disney. If it doesn't work the way it was supposed to and you have to go to some crazy lengths, that's not user error, it's a glitch! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
You see, this is where Disney admits the website is supposed to be terrible and the user error is in expecting it to work.

Are indoor rest areas actually being considered? I’ve heard several locations mentioned. It doesn’t seem safe to have mask-free rest areas inside. They should be outside. Universal’s are.
Disney has not indicated if the indoor rest areas (if they offer them indoors) will be mask free. Personally I can see an outdoor area as an option for mask free but the indoor ones I'd be just as happy to keep my mask on as nobody does AC like Disney does AC!! I wouldn't feel the need to take it off in there, but that could just be me.

Ok, so I was trying to post this earlier, ran into difficulties, then had a couple work phone calls that went almost 4 hours combined. I received a survey at noon today for feedback about booking my Park Pass reservation. I took pictures of the questions with my phone (didn't feel like looking up screen capture on a mac - I do it like once or twice a year and have to look it up every time). I was trying to include them, but they all are getting uploaded upside down, so I will just retype a few of the questions.

Interestingly, it started with a, hey, it looks like you recently made a Park Pass for December 5 for Magic Kingdom, is this correct. Well, that was one of 16 reservations I made - 8 in August that required IT making a duplicate account, etc., but they couldn't fix it for my second reservation - first one was a package (formerly Free Dining) and second reservation is DVC. We also have APs. About an hour later, just before midnight, I was able to actually get my reservations for our Nov/Dec trip in what appeared to be the way it should have worked - no workarounds. So, go figure why they picked that one day.

How easy or difficult was it to make your theme park reservation?
- It was very easy
- It was easy
- It was somewhat difficult
- It was very difficult

Thinking about your upcoming trip to the Walt Disney World Resort, with which, if any, of the following do you agree? (Please select all that apply.)
- It will be as magical as ever
- Wait times will be shorter than in the past
- It will be less magical than in the past
- The experience will be just like it has been in the past
- Wait times will be longer than in the past
- It will be more crowded than in the past
- I expect it to be more cumbersome to plan my visit than in the past
- It will be less crowded than in the past
- I don't agree with any of these

Prior to making your Walt Disney World theme park reservation, which of the following, if any, were you aware will be in place when you visit the Walt Disney World Resort? (Please select all that apply.)
- Employees will be required to wear masks/cloth face coverings
- Guests' temperatures will be screened prior to theme park entry
- Guests 2+ years old will be required to wear face coverings at all times (unless dining)
- Physical distancing measures will be in place
- I was not aware that any of these would be in place
[underlining in original]

Which of the following, if any, make you more likely to visit the Walt Disney World Resort in the future (Please select all that apply.)
- Employees will be required to wear masks/cloth face coverings
- Guests' temperatures will be screened prior to theme park entry
- Guests 2+ years old will be required to wear face coverings at all times (unless dining)
- Physical distancing measures will be in place
- None of these make me more likely to visit
[underlining in original]

Is your upcoming visit your first trip ever to the Walt Disney World Resort?
- Yes
- No

What was the month and year of your last, most recent trip to the Walt Disney World Resort?

How many times have you been to the Walt Disney World Resort since it opened in 1971? (If more than 99 times, please enter "99". If uncertain, enter your best guess.)

Will you be staying in a Walt Disney World Resort hotel or campground during your upcoming visit?
-Yes
-No
[shouldn't have been able to book this Park Pass unless I was]

A few other questions, mostly background, not as interesting

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter