• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2020

I know POP is most likely not going to open on time (because Disney altered UT about our late july stay). What else is not rumored to open on time? Disney's site still lists Pop on 7/10, but evidently that's not happening. Any hearing anything on what the chances are they delay opening the parks further?
??? I got specifically moved TO pop two days ago.

What exactly did UT tell you?
Undercover tourist called about our stay starting 7/29 at POP. They wanted to know if we wanted to cancel or be moved. I said I was looking at Disney's web site and Pop is listed to open on 7/10. She said that they had received notification from Disney that would not "most likely not" happen. She said Disney provided a list of customers that UT was to contact and verify what they wanted to do. She also said that UT had been "hounding" disney to let them know where people would be moved but advised that we should check MDE often as it would probably just change one day. She said that if we are moved it will be done by Disney at no cost and would be "an upgrade".

That's strange. It sounds consistent with that Disney's contacting everyone to confirm, modify, or cancel, but people have literally been tying up phone lines all week (my own switch took my TA two full days) and tons have been switched to Pop. Seems like a lot of backtracking they would have to do.

The Haunted Mansion is themed to be like a Hudson Valley manor - it's not as specific as the bulk of Liberty Sq which is more like Colonial Philadelphia
Ah, that makes sense. Upstate NY is admittedly a huge place and I grew up a bit closer to Western/Central NY so I never went to the Hudson Valley area. Thanks for the info!

We understand your feelings, you post basically the same thing everyday. But there are some people that will feel it is worth it. There are also a lot that have the same feelings as you. To each their own. It’s definitely going to be a different experience.

im ok with a “ghost town” As long as the castle is there and PeterPan and I can ride in a Doom Buggy I’m good😌

Boo .. but at least it sounds like it isn't a quick reaction to the recent protests. But it definitely felt inevitable.

Taking Br'er Rabbit and Br'er Fox/Bear out of the context of Song of the South (which the attraction does not reference except the Zip A Dee Doo Da song) ... I don't feel they are any more stereotypical than Raymond or Louis is from Princess and the Frog.

From strictly a "Disney" perspective, Br'er Rabbit, while a fun character just isn't in the current Disney ethos --- since the movie isn't available anywhere and they've never just pulled the cartoon parts out to show on video or streaming platforms, and they don't really do any books/merchandising (besides the rid itself) of those characters. So most people 0-30 nowadays don't know that story (while someone of my generation (45+) does -- I grew up on it. My dad still has Br'er Rabbit Disney books we read to the kids when visiting (so they know them a bit).

It seems like a natural fit .. just traveling through the swamp instead of a river -- though not sure what the big drop will turn into since there is no "briar patch" in Princess and the Frog.

I hope they don't make it too scary or non-kid friendly by incorporating the Voodoo elements of Princess and the Frog into it.

Zip a dee do dah .. is just such a classic song!
Splash Mountain is actually based on African American folklore. The Princess and the Frog is based on the German Grimm Brothers story. If you really wanted something with real roots in African American culture and history in the parks, you wouldn’t retheme Splash Mountain.

Splash Mountain is actually based on African American folklore. The Princess and the Frog is based on the German Grimm Brothers story. If you really wanted something with real roots in African American culture and history in the parks, you wouldn’t retheme Splash Mountain.

African American folklore as told by a white Southerner, with a racial bias. I used to think it was no big deal. I have even seen Song of the South in theaters. However, after listening to the "You Must Remember This" podcast series about Song of the South from last Fall, I had a change of heart. It's not blatantly racist in appearance to most of us today, but once it's pointed out, it is. Plus, people have been complaining about the movie since it was released. It's a small thing to do to help correct decades of injustice.

I’m scared to ask, but what’s the problem with CP?

I could see a few small changes in PP that wouldn’t affect much.

Country Bear has been so paired down already but I don’t see many changes happening to it.

I think American Adventure is safe, maybe add in a scene or two?

I’d have to think IASW is safe.
If you would have asked me a month ago I would have told you that Splash was safer than all of these put together. In fact I could name 30 attractions I would have thought would get rethemed before Splash. At this point... I don’t think anything is safe. I enjoy experiencing new attractions and I’m sure this will be done well and I know we will love it. But I’m sad to see my favorite ride change!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter