News Round Up 2020

NEWS:

AMC reopening theaters. I just got an email from AMC, this is part of it:

We already have opened more than half of our theatres in Europe and the Middle East, safely and without incident, and will open all by August 26. Here in the United States, we will begin opening AMC with more than 100 theatres resuming operations on August 20, and continuing such that about two-thirds of our theatres across the country should be open no later than September 3. The remaining AMC locations will open after we get further clearance from state and local authorities that it is safe to do so. To check the status of your favorite AMC theatre, go to our website or mobile app beginning mid-morning tomorrow.

Fixed it for them...

Disney CEO Bob Chapek is using the Covid-19 crisis to sink the company much faster than expected.

Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain, fan interest, park hours... Can't wait to see what's next. Not sure I'd get on a Pirates boat any time soon.
I get some of these changes, but I don't understand killing the Frozen Broadway show.

NEWS:

AMC reopening theaters. I just got an email from AMC, this is part of it:
They’re getting ready for Tenet. It’s moved it’s release so many times now, but right now it’s doing a limited release in the US starting August 31st. Then it’s less limited release on September 3rd. Before rolling around the nation as theaters reopen.

I get some of these changes, but I don't understand killing the Frozen Broadway show.
Frozen wasn’t performing up to Disney on Broadway standards. There were available tickets for a lot of shows on a weekly basis (something that doesn’t happen with a Disney shows). Plus Disney has the Hercules show waiting in the wings, and there have been rumors of a revival of Beauty and the Beast. Disney doesn’t have enough theater space on Broadway for all these shows, so one has to go. Lion King isn’t going anywhere and Aladdin is still performing excellently. So Frozen was the odd show out.

For 6 months or so before the COVID shutdown, Frozen was averaging only 80% capacity. Lion King and Aladdin were both closer to 90%, if not over. And Frozens ticket sales were dropping the closer to shutdown that it got. So not trending in the right direction.

I'm going to Orlando in early October to house hunt. I had thought to look at the Disney hotels thinking I'd stay at one of those.

Frankly, the prices I saw were astronomical. I understand that all the hotels aren't open, but I'm really beginning to think that Disney truly doesn't want people to come to the parks or the hotels.

Pop was $180 a night. Now, that may be somewhat in line with Pop's cost before COVID, but I would never pay that for a value.

Besides the AP discount for September, there have been no promotions or discounts offered.

I understand they don't want the place flooded, but from all accounts it sounds like most parks save DHS are not hitting their reduced capacity.

I'm just really confused by the behavior of the WDW parks and resorts. Were they ordered to open by the higher ups in the company, but other, not so highly placed people didn't want them to open so they're not offering discounts or trying to get people to fill the lowered capacity?

I don't get it.

I'm going to Orlando in early October to house hunt. I had thought to look at the Disney hotels thinking I'd stay at one of those.

Frankly, the prices I saw were astronomical. I understand that all the hotels aren't open, but I'm really beginning to think that Disney truly doesn't want people to come to the parks or the hotels.

Pop was $180 a night. Now, that may be somewhat in line with Pop's cost before COVID, but I would never pay that for a value.

Besides the AP discount for September, there have been no promotions or discounts offered.

I understand they don't want the place flooded, but from all accounts it sounds like most parks save DHS are not hitting their reduced capacity.

I'm just really confused by the behavior of the WDW parks and resorts. Were they ordered to open by the higher ups in the company, but other, not so highly placed people didn't want them to open so they're not offering discounts or trying to get people to fill the lowered capacity?

I don't get it.
They are operating under the delusion that the only problem is the NY/NJ/CT travel restrictions and when those are done (which is not soon; Florida needs the highlighted number in the screenshot below to be under 70; it’s currently at 212) everything will suddenly book up past capacity and they will have to fend people off with their trusty booking system. They mentioned it specifically in the earnings call.

Frozen wasn’t performing up to Disney on Broadway standards. There were available tickets for a lot of shows on a weekly basis (something that doesn’t happen with a Disney shows). Plus Disney has the Hercules show waiting in the wings, and there have been rumors of a revival of Beauty and the Beast. Disney doesn’t have enough theater space on Broadway for all these shows, so one has to go. Lion King isn’t going anywhere and Aladdin is still performing excellently. So Frozen was the odd show out.

For 6 months or so before the COVID shutdown, Frozen was averaging only 80% capacity. Lion King and Aladdin were both closer to 90%, if not over. And Frozens ticket sales were dropping the closer to shutdown that it got. So not trending in the right direction.
Meanwhile in the UK's West End, Frozen is going to debut on April 3rd, having been pushed back from November, so at least a performance of it is somewhere :)

I don't get it.

If some of the rumors were true there was at least disagreement among the higher-ups when to open and how much to open. No idea what/how much is true but I do think being open, at least to this extent, is not something they are fully, super duper, excited for.

I think part of it is legally with DVC they need to have some of that open and I do think there was pressure from the governor to open and at least some pressure to open if Universal, etc is open

So I think to some extent they are grudgingly open and they are trying to get the maximum $/person that does come and if you don't want to spend that they are happy to not have you right now. So if you want to pay $180/night for POP, awesome - if not, no big deal

If some of the rumors were true there was at least disagreement among the higher-ups when to open and how much to open. No idea what/how much is true but I do think being open, at least to this extent, is not something they are fully, super duper, excited for.

I think part of it is legally with DVC they need to have some of that open and I do think there was pressure from the governor to open and at least some pressure to open if Universal, etc is open

So I think to some extent they are grudgingly open and they are trying to get the maximum $/person that does come and if you don't want to spend that they are happy to not have you right now. So if you want to pay $180/night for POP, awesome - if not, no big deal

Man I typed something that was way to dark for this message board. Suffice it to say, what I typed agreed with Rebo. No one is coming to WDW, and no one is waiting to go. Even if you want to ignore the pandemic, just look at the underlying economy.

From what I’ve been made to understand from the insiders on WDWMagic, the first 2 strong yes, but they legitimately didn’t care at all what Universal was doing. But they also felt they had built a good plan that minimized risk and wanted to try to make it work.

Man I typed something that was way to dark for this message board. Suffice it to say, what I typed agreed with Rebo. No one is coming to WDW, and no one is waiting to go. Even if you want to ignore the pandemic, just look at the underlying economy.

Don't speak in absolutes. There are people going to WDW and there are DEFINITELY people waiting/wanting to go. But I agree, it seems like Disney is doing everything it can to keep people away.

I know everyone judges by what's going on in their corner of the world. In my corner, people are OUT. People are going places, people are visiting each other, people are having backyard get togethers, people are in parks, people are in the restaurants/outside in the restaurants and bars, people are starting go on smaller trips.
I know people who run a cat sitting business (visit the cats while people are away) and business is BOOMING!

People are doing their thing. With masks on, but the city is moving again. I just think most people who are starting to do things again aren't broadcasting it all over the place because they will get shamed.

Don't speak in absolutes. There are people going to WDW and there are DEFINITELY people waiting/wanting to go. But I agree, it seems like Disney is doing everything it can to keep people away.

I know everyone judges by what's going on in their corner of the world. In my corner, people are OUT. People are going places, people are in parks, people are in the restaurants/outside in the restaurants and bars, people are starting go on smaller trips.
know people who run a cat sitting business (visit the cats while people are away) and business is BOOMING!

People are doing their thing. With masks on, but the city is moving again. I just think most people who are starting to do things again aren't broadcasting it all over the place because they will get shamed.
This I agree with. I think there are plenty of people who are waiting/wanting to go. There are several reasons why they are not though. I know someone who isn’t exactly big into doing the mask thing or staying home and all that stuff that has canceled their Vegas trip twice because they don’t want to wear a mask and they don’t see the same value in it currently. I think we are seeing some of the same with WDW. People just aren’t wanting to put up with the extras on top of uncertainties with the pandemic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter