News Round Up 2020

Maybe a visual will help of what I was thinking when I said geographically:

View attachment 523100

I basically just see WDW creating a line somewhere and going with it (perhaps looking at some metric unbeknownst to us). You see any states on that list that are randomly located elsewhere? They are all states in the same area.

They should have gone with the SEC discount.

Not only that I think at this moment the metrics say people are more likely to be driving to vacation destinations than flying.

Yeah, but if you opened it to all states it wouldn't be less of a discount for those that would drive (and lots of people drive from further away - we usually drive from NY)

I think more PR and just sort of a "controlled expansion"

Personally, I feel like it's bizarre and stupid to limit the discount to a handful of particular states, but whatever.

Disney does whatever Disney wants.

Hey man, they just had their salaries restored, gotta justify that with some arbitrary work and statistics!

Yeah, but if you opened it to all states it wouldn't be less of a discount for those that would drive (and lots of people drive from further away - we usually drive from NY)

I think more PR and just sort of a "controlled expansion"
True but again I think those further away are more likely to fly. I sure am. 20 hours isn't exactly fun. Disney would have the data on that.

It is a PR move to avoid the backlash that would come from some who would say that Disney is encouraging air travel.

I don't care because we aren't going this year.

But I think if that's the reason, it's kind of annoying to not offer discounts to states because people may choose to fly there.
Air travel is happening, whether some like it or not. Offer the discounts and let the people make their own choice if they are comfortable to fly or not.

The backlash is going to come from probably the same people who think Disney shouldn't be open at all.

Not only that I think at this moment the metrics say people are more likely to be driving to vacation destinations than flying.

I am one of those people who is going to be driving instead of flying. I still have points with Southwest from my canceled April Vacation to WDW, I am keeping there and instead making the drive from Southern Ohio at the end of the month. I can see the driving thing playing a role in Disneys decision.

This .. I've been tempted to go down to WDW simply because I am a day's drive away and that feels TONS "safer" than going to an airport and cramming into an airplane with a hundred+ strangers. ). It seems unfair, but obviously they want to target the people who can drive .. no different than a "Florida only" discount. There are tons of people in those states that are way closer than a lot of people in south Florida.

Not sure if this moderate discount to the hotels does it for me. Really, hotel price means less to me than the ticket price AND/OR what's going on in the parks themselves (for that ticket price).

At this point I feel I need a DRASTIC - "Please come back" discount .. or just details on when things will at least start to return to normal. (Like if they announced that they would be starting parades or M&Gs .. but still had all the other restrictions (wearing masks, reduced hours, etc.)

I just feel they should discount the tickets due to the reduced value of going to the park right now (but they never discount the tickets, I doubt they are going to start now). A discount is great, just doesn't feel like a "can't miss it!" discount (especially with the increased rack rate prices of most of the resorts and lack of moderate and value resorts).

Personally, I feel like it's bizarre and stupid to limit the discount to a handful of particular states, but whatever.

Disney does whatever Disney wants.
It as an attempt at price integrity. Only offer it to the people most likely to use it, so others don't wait for discounts in the future.

This is why Disney always has discounts for exclusive groups. It isn't because they love locals, EMTs, airline employees, or the military, it's because they can meet their metrics with those groups without losing price integrity with the broader public. People accept local discounts as making sense, non-military/first responders support those groups, and the airline discounts are hidden from public view.

This .. I've been tempted to go down to WDW simply because I am a day's drive away and that feels TONS "safer" than going to an airport and cramming into an airplane with a hundred+ strangers. ). It seems unfair, but obviously they want to target the people who can drive .. no different than a "Florida only" discount. There are tons of people in those states that are way closer than a lot of people in south Florida.

Not sure if this moderate discount to the hotels does it for me. Really, hotel price means less to me than the ticket price AND/OR what's going on in the parks themselves (for that ticket price).

At this point I feel I need a DRASTIC - "Please come back" discount .. or just details on when things will at least start to return to normal. (Like if they announced that they would be starting parades or M&Gs .. but still had all the other restrictions (wearing masks, reduced hours, etc.)

I just feel they should discount the tickets due to the reduced value of going to the park right now (but they never discount the tickets, I doubt they are going to start now). A discount is great, just doesn't feel like a "can't miss it!" discount (especially with the increased rack rate prices of most of the resorts and lack of moderate and value resorts).
Most major airlines are not cramming in hundreds of people at least right now. Changes in procedures have shown to be really good in keeping air travelers safe.

As for tickets that’s always going to be a last resort. They draw you with the resort discount. Tickets are their bread and butter. They don’t want to mess with that.

Most major airlines are not cramming in hundreds of people at least right now. Changes in procedures have shown to be really good in keeping air travelers safe.

As for tickets that’s always going to be a last resort. They draw you with the resort discount. Tickets are their bread and butter. They don’t want to mess with that.

We are definitely more interested in resort discounts over ticket discounts.

Hey a discount is a discount. You’ve been saying all along that if a discount was offered, you’d jump on it. Unfortunately tickets will never be discounted unless they have absolutely no other choice. And announcements of when things like fireworks or parades are coming back are a ways away. Gotta take the little victories when we can get them. Plus if they discount the tickets more people will stay off site, which is what they absolutely don’t want to happen. They want you in their hotels, and if you’re in their hotels, you’re going to buy the tickets anyway

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter